Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2011, 22:00   #1756
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
These are my first pets so do give some advice.
Top most advice is - Don't get too attached to them because goldfishes die very soon unless they get habituated of the new water.
Old 19th February 2011, 22:43   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Correct!! I am trying not to get too much attached to them but still you know they are my first pets.
Old 20th February 2011, 11:00   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends here is a video of my two new friends Haripada and Kalipada.The are goldfishes incase you are confused. Please ignore the background score it is just the television. I got this on the 13th Feb.
From what I have gathered from my friends :

1. Use thermometer to monitor the temparature, and use a heater if necessary. The optimum temparature range can be found in the net.
2. Use an aerator to augment the oxygen in the tank.
3. Clean the tank regularly
4. Initially use good fish feed available from the stores selling fish. Later on you can experiment.
5. Check if snails can co exist with your fish species. If yes, get a couple of them. They act as scavengers and keep the tank clean.

Once you have got over the novelty, and plan to keep fish long term please upgrade to a larger, rectangular fish tank. Fish love to swim a lot hence a larger tank. The tank normally has a bed of stones, a few water plants, air pump, thermometer and a thermostat controlled heater.

If looked after properly fish can be your companions for quite a long time, else they die pretty fast.
Old 20th February 2011, 17:15   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

1. Use thermometer to monitor the temparature, and use a heater if necessary. The optimum temparature range can be found in the net.
2. Use an aerator to augment the oxygen in the tank.
3. Clean the tank regularly
4. Initially use good fish feed available from the stores selling fish. Later on you can experiment.
5. Check if snails can co exist with your fish species. If yes, get a couple of them. They act as scavengers and keep the tank clean.

Once you have got over the novelty, and plan to keep fish long term please upgrade to a larger, rectangular fish tank. Fish love to swim a lot hence a larger tank. The tank normally has a bed of stones, a few water plants, air pump, thermometer and a thermostat controlled heater.

If looked after properly fish can be your companions for quite a long time, else they die pretty fast.
Too much gyaan for him. If you look at the picture properly, it is a fish tank.

Upgrade to a larger and rectangular tank is of no use, a bowl is enough for the fishes. If you know, Goldfishes have very short term memory, by the time they make one round in the tank, they forget the previous one.
Old 21st February 2011, 00:30   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check if snails can co exist with your fish species. If yes, get a couple of them. They act as scavengers and keep the tank clean.

.That is pretty interesting
Quote:
I think the goldfishes have a pretty short life span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Too much gyaan for him. If you look at the picture properly, it is a fish tank.

Upgrade to a larger and rectangular tank is of no use, a bowl is enough for the fishes. If you know, Goldfishes have very short term memory, by the time they make one round in the tank, they forget the previous one.
It is a pretty big fish bowl.
Old 21st February 2011, 00:39   #1761
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
If you know, Goldfishes have very short term memory, by the time they make one round in the tank, they forget the previous one.

LOL Reminds me of .... well myself at times!!

For peace of mind and a meditative spiritual effect, a large tank is best. Small bowls are a "gimmick". The big tanks can really lower your BP fast if you gaze at them.

HTH
Old 21st February 2011, 10:36   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the goldfishes have a pretty short life span.

It is a pretty big fish bowl.
The reason people think that gold fish have short life is because they keep them in a bowl. My friends (and there are quite a few) who have a tank with all that I have mentioned, report a life span in excess of two years.

So if you keep fish in bowl they will last a few weeks, but in a proper tank they will last a couple of years!
Old 21st February 2011, 10:58   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
The reason people think that gold fish have short life is because they keep them in a bowl. My friends (and there are quite a few) who have a tank with all that I have mentioned, report a life span in excess of two years.
Have a large fish tank and have had gold fishes living in excess of two years.

Another point to remember is the amount of chlorine content in your water. I had an entire batch of fishes dead due to high chlorine in water. Nowadays i avoid filling fresh water and only refill tank with water which is stagnant in an overhead tank for few days. Hope its helpful.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:56   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Googleman/Pancham/Aroy: The life span of goldfish is largely dependent on two things
1) the type of goldfish &
2) the environment that it is kept in.
In a favorable environment, a Goldfish will live for as long as 15 years. I have a gold fish with me from last 4 years & still kicking hard. My nephew has named him NEMO.
What is often not recognized is that Goldfish are a coldwater species and thus require different type of care care than a tropical species. They do best in water at lower temperatures. They are also difficult to keep with other fishes or in small bowls because of the large amount of waste they produce & thus higher the ammonia will be. Ammonia is the number one killer of aquarium fish.
However they can be found everywhere from backyard ponds to tiny (and cruel) two gallon "Goldfish bowls."
Bowls only look good in photos & movies ONLY where the goldfish is shown for few moments because she is put there for that purpose.
Small Maths
A two-inch Goldfish requires, at the very least, five gallons of water. When provided with less space its growth & life span shortened.

So get a nice large aquarium & change about 15%-25% water weekly thus cutting on a,mount of ammonia in water & keeping PH levels of water under control. DO NOT use tap water directly. As rightly mentioned by 'GEARON' let the water stand for mininum 2 hours (let chorine evaporate & dirt settle down) & the change the water.
Usually people cannot "CONNECT/ATTACHED" to their fishes & thus lose interest after few weeks. From then on its only days conuting for fishes & tanks to become spare baskets for kid's toys.
Alas that's the truth I have come across many many times.

EDIT: Feed them only once a day & around same hour. Again only few flakes. The idea is for the fish to finish its meal in first 10 seconds. Rest gets bloated & adds to the wastage & thus ammonia again. Try TETRA BITS & say give about 10 granules each 3" size fish. That's all.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 21st February 2011 at 15:08.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:26   #1765
BHPian

Hi All,

I love dogs and wanted to have one from my childhood. But this dream was fulfilled only now, after my marriage.

3 weeks back, we bought a Female Lab(Fawn/Yellow Color). At that time she was just 37 days old. Since the real owner hadn't kept a name for it we decided to name her.

Since it was February and Valentines day was around the corner, I thought I would gift her to my wife and named her Teena. (Valen"teena")

She has now grown a lot and her puppy tone now changed to normal dog tone. We both love her and the lab was real good. She got attached to us from the day 2.

But now, my wife has got a job and no one is there to take care of her at home.

Any body can give her a home? I dont have any certificates and she is not yet registered, but she is vaccinated and dewormed.

If interested, PM me.

I live in Annanagar, Chennai.

Look at her..isn't she adorable.

We would definitely miss her. :(
Attached Images

Old 22nd February 2011, 17:54   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Hi All,

I love dogs and wanted to have one from my childhood. But this dream was fulfilled only now, after my marriage.

3 weeks back, we bought a Female Lab(Fawn/Yellow Color).

Any body can give her a home? I dont have any certificates and she is not yet registered, but she is vaccinated and dewormed.

If interested, PM me.

aww.. she's so cute! it'll break my heart if i had to part with her :'(

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd February 2011 at 23:55. Reason: Let's keep the quotes short and as needed rather than quoting a full, lengthy message for a 1-line reply.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:11   #1767
BHPian

@dre@ms: Can you not get a driver/maid to walk the pup, serve some food while you are away?
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:27   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
aww.. she's so cute! it'll break my heart if i had to part with her :'(
Definitely, thinkin of it wets my eyes :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
@dre@ms: Can you not get a driver/maid to walk the pup, serve some food while you are away?
Food is definitely not a problem. @7 she used to have royal canin. I come for lunch and feed her with royal canin, eve we feed her again once we both reach home @7 and if she needs, one more time in the night.

But this monday, we left her confined in the balcony and forgot to switch on the lights. We reachd home @7 and my landlord complained that the lab was barking frm afternoon and askd to dispose her. No other options i have now.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:29   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

3 weeks back, we bought a Female Lab(Fawn/Yellow Color).

But now, my wife has got a job and no one is there to take care of her at home.

This is a bunch of baloney. You did not think about your wife getting a job 3 weeks ago when you brought her into your house? To add to that, you are now trying to emotionally blackmail pet lovers here. Hopefully the dog goes to a loving home where the family can take care of her and not give her away in 3 weeks because of the responsibility.

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd February 2011 at 23:58. Reason: Edited out the unnecessary part of the quote. Let's try to keep the quotes limited.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:52   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
NO, that is a more worse suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
This is a bunch of baloney. You did not think about your wife getting a job 3 weeks ago when you brought her into your house? To add to that, you are now trying to emotionally blackmail pet lovers here. Hopefully the dog goes to a loving home where the family can take care of her and not give her away in 3 weeks because of the responsibility.
Whatever he is doing is the right deed at the right point of time. He is giving the pet away now itself than tor-choring him tied alone in his home.

This is no emotional blackmail. He is not forcing anyone, nor charging anyone for the puppy. Moreover, good that he took this choice at the right time before the pup is old enough to forget him.

@ Dreams- You are doing the right thing. Hope you take this as a learning and next time anyone adopts a puppy, think 10 times, it is a lifetime responsibility.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd February 2011 at 07:15. Reason: Do not use language like that. Though I understand your feeling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks