Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 16:14   #1846
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

I think first in this thread .He is my one month old squirrel .Named him Kannan.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-ritz-alloy-017.jpg  

shk 8896 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 16:18   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Love the little guy. What a brilliant snap. How did you find him?
Old 4th May 2011, 16:43   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
From my very limited experience with pets/animals.

One thing I have noticed, when you "sell" your pet you have no control what house it is going to.

But if you are giving it out for adoption without trying to receive what you paid for it. The pet gets the right house 99.9% of the time.

Now which of the above is of a higher concern to the owner selling would define the love for a pet.

Personal opinion again, I would never "buy" a pet who somebody else does not want. I would adopt though.
I agree totally. I have reared various dogs over a span of four decades. Some were pedigree and some mongrels, but I never ever paid money to bring them home. If I were to pay for it, then I may tend to think of the dog as my property, rather than as my friend.

If the owner of that cute lab really loves her, he should send her to the best and caring home he can find, even free, and not to the highest bidder. I am not saying the highest bidder can not be a caring master - just to ensure that he is.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:32   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Love the little guy. What a brilliant snap. How did you find him?
Thanks.We found him in bathroom.He was crying with his high frequency sound.There was one more like him outside the gate of our house.Was not able to find it and the poor thing was eaten by a nasty pussy.But Kannan is safe inside our house.2 days later,my neighbour told that she saw a squirrel was eaten by the same cat.Might be his mom.Poor thing.This is the story of Kannan.
shk 8896 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 19:37   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Thanks.We found him in bathroom.He was crying with his high frequency sound.There was one more like him outside the gate of our house.Was not able to find it and the poor thing was eaten by a nasty pussy.But Kannan is safe inside our house.2 days later,my neighbour told that she saw a squirrel was eaten by the same cat.Might be his mom.Poor thing.This is the story of Kannan.
Poor Kannan. I love him already :-)

But the little fella looks frisky and naughty. You must document his pictures now and then here. Kannan's a fighter :-)
Old 4th May 2011, 19:57   #1851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This guy's awesome!!
kanna, you deserve a thread!!!
Old 10th May 2011, 15:33   #1852
BHPian

Sorry to say.Kannan is no more.Day before yesterday a cat entered our house mysteriously and took him and ran away.The doors were all closed but it entered through windows I guess.It was the first time a cat entering our house.Also that idiotic cat was new in that area and I had not seen him before and after the sad incident.I ran after it but was not able to catch it.Still I can not recover from the shock.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:39   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
Oh man!!
thats bogus...
First time, eh?
i suppose its the hunter instinct of the cat taking over.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:45   #1854
BANNED

There was Kannan and there is the pigeon. Sometimes we just need to let nature be...
Old 10th May 2011, 15:47   #1855
BHPian

OMG!! RIP Kannan. What a sad ending. It should be a terrible shocker for you and for all of us. Kannan is still in our eyes.
Old 10th May 2011, 16:10   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to say.Kannan is no more.Day before yesterday a cat entered our house mysteriously and took him and ran away.The doors were all closed but it entered through windows I guess.It was the first time a cat entering our house.Also that idiotic cat was new in that area and I had not seen him before and after the sad incident.I ran after it but was not able to catch it.Still I can not recover from the shock.
Get over it. Sometimes it happens, no fault of yours. May be you postponed the inevitable by a few days.

I have tried to rear a few baby squirrels in my younger days. Sometimes they will fall off their nests in trees, sometimes I will ransack the nests in our attic to get them. There was no success with the very young (eyes unopened) ones. I will feed them diluted milk with an ink filler, but they will develop rashes around their anus in a few days and die, despite my cleaning them gently with a sponge. The mother will lick them clean, which we can't do!

I had success with slightly bigger ones, like your Kannan. It was a chore to protect them from our dogs, but I succeeded. They will be friendly with me, eat out of my hand, nestle inside my pocket or sit on my head, to the envy of my friends. But once fully grown, they inevitably eloped with another squirrel - opposite sex only, of course! Then for a few more months they will respond to my call, come down from the tree to investigate and even drink a little milk from my hand before running away. Thereafter that too will stop.

I once enticed a runaway squirrel to come down from the tree, for impressing my friends. As it was very pleased and playful with me, I tried to carry it inside my home to show my mom. But it got agitated, bit my finger and ran away. I did not even realize I was bitten, the teeth were so needle like, and realized it only when I saw blood dripping from my hand. Then it was off to the doctor for a TT shot. We debated long and hard whether to get an anti-rabies shot as well, but the doctor decided against it as it was a pet squirrel not so long ago. But that put an and to my obsession with them and they were merely rodents ever since!
Old 10th May 2011, 17:40   #1857
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sad to hear about Kannan.

I met such a squirrel once. The guy was an building caretaker, and rescued a baby from AC maintenance. It lived with their family for some time. It would even climb inside my friend's trouser pocket. Even though it seemed domesticated, one day it just left.
Old 10th May 2011, 18:42   #1858
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
RIP Kannan. Guess you did not expect a cat to come, but the safe thing to do is to proactively get a cage or plastic shopping basket to house him until he recovers and runs about.

Cats are the most successful predators around and Australia even has a program to cull them in large numbers.

I love cats though - my fav animal.

--Ragul
Old 10th May 2011, 20:28   #1859
Distinguished - BHPian

This is so sad. My brother when he was a kid found 3 baby squirrels abandoned. He brought them up and we took care of them for a while. It would be so much fun to have them all run behind your back, under your shirt and what not.

But they're meant to be out in the open. Sometimes you just have to let nature do its thing. I hope your kids (if any) are able to recover from this shock soon.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:45   #1860
BHPian

My adopted 4 year old Basset Hound. Her name is Jingles but we call her Miss Bo Jingles.

She has taken to us quite well (particularly me) and follows us around the house and jumps around when she sees me. A bit of an attention seeker. Doesnt sleep until and unless you put her matress in my room at night. Otherwise sleeps all day on the low seating we have in the living room.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc07595-medium.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc07599-medium.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc07601-medium.jpg

Using my leg as a pillow!
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc07613-medium.jpg

Most Viewed