Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 18:41   #1861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Lovely looking dog! You obviously have a friend for life there

My cat got a bad wound on her leg on Sunday. It looked like a cut, but we took her to the vet, Monday, and he said it was a bite. Due to infection already, it could not be stitched the same day, but she had to go back for that on Tuesday; done under anaesthetic, and we picked her up on Wednesday morning.

She has spent a couple of days restricted to the house, and most of that time complaining loudly about it. Today, she went to vet to have the dressing removed, and is allowed out again. She is getting her revenge by demanding to be let in, or out, every few minutes
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 20:10   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely love Ms. Bo Jingles, especially in the last snap.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 21:20   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

guys,
all of you might wanna check out Eddie izzard on cats, dogs and an assortment of animals.
youtube him.
hilarious the way he depicts.

meantime, here are a few other women in my life(no wonder the missus is jealous.with the car included, thats 4 other women!!).....
the black and brown is "chillbill", the white and black one is "sona", and the white/offwhite/beige is "milli", mother of the other two.
and they are all characters in their own right.....
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1370.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-sona.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1361.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0318cp.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0316cp.jpg  

Old 14th May 2011, 19:30   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
My adopted 4 year old Basset Hound.
Attachment 544280
Adopted?? Can we have the story behind it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

meantime, here are a few other women in my life(no wonder the missus is jealous.with the car included, thats 4 other women!!).....
the black and brown is "chillbill", the white and black one is "sona", and the white/offwhite/beige is "milli", mother of the other two.
and they are all characters in their own right.....
Just one big happy family you have there.
Just in love with chilbill, sona and milli..
Chillbill is a lovely name
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 21:01   #1865
BANNED

I am looking for a tom cat of the thick not too furry tale variety. Tom cat because I may be out for 15 to 30 days at a time and I am looking for a cat of independent and wandering nature. I have had independent and strong female cats that littered many times yes, but the chances of discovering their traits in kitten phase are less.

Actually I will be happy to keep more than one or two cats. If new born, I would like to see a pic of their mum if possible as I am not looking for the skinny with small skull and rat-tailed and garbage bin rummaging variety.

I adore cats I love parenting them and I have succeeded in the past in uplifting them from mere selfish cat existence to display human traits of gratitude love and appreciation.

I will not accept a kitten less than 45 days old. I have seen one morosely starve itself to death when separated from its mum and taken to a family friends place when I was a kid. It should be capable of drinking milk from a saucer and eating semi solid foods. Unless its an unfortunate emergency of course.

Thanks

Last edited by Ragul : 14th May 2011 at 21:03.
Old 14th May 2011, 21:55   #1866
BANNED

love dogs and have made friends with each stray dog near my home since childhood, however didn't own one so far. Want to bring in a dog in my life now though I can't stand their barking. I am looking for an energetic and outdoor loving dog since would want it to give me company for my morning jogs. I guess the German shepherd would fit the bill?
ours is an independent house so there are no problems as far as space is concerned. I am don't care for pedigree so pet owners please suggest me some options.
Old 14th May 2011, 22:25   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
though I can't stand their barking. I am looking for an energetic and outdoor loving dog since would want it to give me company for my morning jogs. I guess the German shepherd would fit the bill?
ours is an independent house so there are no problems as far as space is concerned. I am don't care for pedigree so pet owners please suggest me some options.
German shepherds do bark a lot.
If you want a dog to accompany your morning jogs then get a Lab.I am yet to hear my Labs even bark once.
Whereas my german shepherd creates a ruckus with his barking when he hears someone at the door.
Old 14th May 2011, 23:20   #1868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
love dogs and have made friends with each stray dog near my home since childhood, however didn't own one so far. Want to bring in a dog in my life now though I can't stand their barking. I am looking for an energetic and outdoor loving dog since would want it to give me company for my morning jogs. I guess the German shepherd would fit the bill?
adopt a stray/unwanted?
loads at kennels available.
I'm suggesting only cos you said you are open to non-pedigree.
stray's are stray in name only....some turn out very majestic, and are always very very loyal and loving...

EDIT:ref labs suggestion.
alter ego's right.but they are mighty playful..
at ALL times.ALL!

Last edited by mayankk : 14th May 2011 at 23:24.
Old 15th May 2011, 10:40   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The independent house is only the first step. Who will look after the dog when you are not at home? All large dogs require a lot of attention, and may create havoc in the house if left alone for extended period of time.

The Labradors are extremely intelligent dogs and require a lot of exercise. My Lab demands long walks morning and evening and a small one at night. If you do not exercise them they tend to grow fat, which leads to a lot of complications once they get old. A word of caution, as Labs are very smart, you have to take extra effort training them when they are young. They also can hog themselves to stupor if you allow them to.

If you are keen to keep a dog, please go through articles on internet for their upkeep, training and diet. Like us most of the pets are over fed especially when young, and large dogs develop weak legs which can fail them when they grow old.

By the way the laziest large dog breed is the Great Dane as reported by my friends. They are loving and require very little exercise, though they tend to eat a lot (but labs beat every one in gluttony!)
Old 15th May 2011, 10:57   #1870
BANNED

I stay with my parents and have a younger brother part from me at home so there is plenty of company at home even when I am not there. but I don't travel much, maybe like once in two months for a weekend. I asked about German shepherds as i have observed them to be intelligent and not prone to barking.
Labs are fun but I feel they get too bulky as they grow and become lethargic and I feel they are little too playful for my taste. How about dobbermans?
Also I am looking for something not large since I may want to take it out in my car.

Last edited by zaks : 15th May 2011 at 10:59.
Old 15th May 2011, 11:24   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stay with my parents and have a younger brother part from me at home so there is plenty of company at home even when I am not there. but I don't travel much, maybe like once in two months for a weekend. I asked about German shepherds as i have observed them to be intelligent and not prone to barking.
Labs are fun but I feel they get too bulky as they grow and become lethargic and I feel they are little too playful for my taste. How about dobbermans?
Also I am looking for something not large since I may want to take it out in my car.
All dogs bark, in my experience, German Shepherds more than others. Regarding growing fat, if you do not regulate the quantity of food (look up appropriate quantity on the net), all will grow fat. What is dangerous is that their growing fat will lead to weak rear legs ultimately leading to muscle degeneration at old age.

My Lab is kept on a strict diet and is slim and trim. Of course a lot of exercise help.

In case any one needs help in quantity I can post our Lab's diet.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:43   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Adopted?? Can we have the story behind it?

She was in a breeders kennel. They are shutting the kennel down so I got her home. They were kept really nicely though unlike other kennels and they really did screen people before they gave the dogs away. thankfully she is trained and also has been spayed so I dont have to train her much. She is extremely obedient as well and has really come into her elements now. I think she is getting really comfortable now with us. I leave her open all day at home while i am in office between 10 and 6 and she doesnt do anything. I just go in once during lunch to take her out and eat my lunch as my office is 5 mins away!
Old 16th May 2011, 11:21   #1873
BHPian

@Aroy
Quote:
All dogs bark, in my experience, German Shepherds more than others.
Dogs are like people in a way. You can't generalize them. I have been living with German Shepherd dogs since the time I was born. Almost all of them are very possessive about their home. Some bark to ward off intruders while some give a warning shot and then wait for you to pounce.

My recent German Shepherd 'Dusty' was a hugh dog who rarely barked - but I was scared out of my wits for the visitors if he was unchained. These are big animals which need plenty of space to pace around. If you tie them all the time, they can become morose and irritable.

The longest life time I have observed is about 11 years with GS. Another thing about them is they are so vulnerable for water borne disease - hepatitis. I lost 2 puppies.

I can tell you one thing about these magnificent animals - they can be so fearsome - no one in their right mind will go near the house guarded by them. When I was in college, my house was never locked when people went out for short errands. It made our lives easier not to have duplicate keys.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:13   #1874
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
@Aroy

Dogs are like people in a way. You can't generalize them.
I have to agree 100% to this. I believe they are more like people than we suspect. I have seen countless dogs, strays of course, grow up from pups to adulthood in my neighbourhood and eventually die. Each one was different and surprisingly some were more disciplined than a well known breed.
They have some specific traits which distinguishes them from others. For example there are 2 strays now in our street- one a bitch of local variety and the other a white fluffy male which I guess is a cross between a local and a known breed. They are as different as chalk and cheese- the female seldom barks and is very friendly with anyone calling out to her but the male is little aggressive and is friendly with only a few home owners and is kind of solitary and to add to that he absolutely hates speeding and revving motorbikes and chases them.

One important observation I have made over many years is that strays almost always outlive any well fed and well maintained pet dog.

Last edited by zaks : 17th May 2011 at 17:17.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:44   #1875
BANNED

Quote:
One important observation I have made over many years is that strays almost always outlive any well fed and well maintained pet dog.
Not at all. There is a huge difference, in favor of pets.

Strays live a very difficult lives. Much more prone to illness, injury then any pet. Whom you see everyday for years together have been purely lucky, to have a got a safe place to stay. The strays that you observe being around for a long while are like 5% of those who dont make it.

The lucky once have adpated to a place quite well, keeping their distance from harm and having a constant secure supply of food. They will stay within this zone only. And defend it fiercely, so fiercely in fact that stronger strays will keep away. You might have noticed this behavior. This is because their very existence depends on it. If they lose their territory to a new stray, then it eventually means a struggle to live and they almost never make it once displaced.

Next time you see that hardy chap down the street who has been around for years. Remember for him everyday is a bonus. A hard fought one.

A pet on the other hand will not survive too long in a strays environment. That is why we see so many abonded/lost pets not surviving for long once they lose their homes.

Last edited by Spitfire : 17th May 2011 at 17:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks