Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 18:35   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
One important observation I have made over many years is that strays almost always outlive any well fed and well maintained pet dog.
I think it is a case of "survival of the fittest". Those who are not hardy enough die early. Those who survive their initial six months are born tough. Barring accidents many a stray will live a long life if it gets enough food.

Same with people. In olden days child mortality was very high. Those who survived to the third year, lived in full health with practically no illness.

One thing I have noticed. Most of the large pet dogs die early, and according to the net, primarily of over feeding. What is surprising is that the quantum of food given in the first year, is the maximum that should be given. After that, unless they are involved in strenuous exercise, the quantity should be reduced.

Another thing is that the quantum of rice/wheat should be highly controlled initially, else the dogs become heavy much before their hind legs gain strength (around two years). This results in permanent damage to the leg muscles, so that they start limping when they grow old, and in extreme case the legs fail to support them.

Last edited by Aroy : 17th May 2011 at 18:44.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:07   #1877
BANNED

Today morning around 4:30AM I was woken up by what sounded like a bad dog fight where one of the dogs was badly cornered. Some really pitiful noises were coming across and I rushed out groggily to find the local neighborhood cat being held by its head and tail legs. The damned dogs were playing tug-o-war with him. I shooed the dogs away. The poor cat was a male Tom about 3 to 4 years old, by now he was paralyzed from the waist down. He was struggling to find a safe corner but could not walk even a few steps. Kept baring his teeth and spitting at me as I tried to comfort him. Finally I grabbed him by the neck when he turned his head away from me and lifted him into my compound where the dogs would not get him.

He was a real fighter, the poor chap, was very determined to get up and go but was not in a position to take even a single step. He was gasping all the while with a sense of fierce determination to overcome. All the while his dilated eyes were following me in a silent plea to rescue him from his current state. I called the CUPA number @5:45am and the local attendant was indicating a 10 to 5pm ambulance service. Finally I knelt before him and talked to him, telling him I had little help to offer him at this time, and kind of pleaded with him to understand. He seemed to understand and decided to let go a few minutes later - like he was waiting to hear about his final fate from me, and had been pulling himself together all this while just to hear about his chances in this world. I told him to let go and kind of eased him into the attempt. In his moment of death, he wanted to listen and hear from his last companion that it was ok to go, before the acceptance of it all pervaded his consciousness.

Finally I took his remains on my scooter and left it at a garbage spot a few 100 mtrs from my house soon after sunrise.

At least I was beside him to stroke him and comfort him as much as I could, while he was letting go of his body, with progressively fainter and spaced out gasps for breath. It was about 90 mins before he gave up the fight, with the 15 mins before that in the jaws of a dozen dogs.

He was a brown tabby. It was really sad to see the injustice of it all.

I will fondly remember having fed him late night once when I returned from office and he showed up.

--Ragul

PS: How responsive is the pet burial service of the municipality? I didnt really want to leave him in the garbage for other dogs to violate his body once more, but I have no experience of the municipality service or any contact nos. Is there a 24x7 ambulance service for animals?

Last edited by Ragul : 23rd May 2011 at 07:26.
Ragul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:12   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Today morning around 4:30AM I was woken up by what sounded like a bad dog fight where one of the dogs was badly cornered. Some really pitiful noises were coming across and I rushed out groggily to find the local neighborhood cat being held by its head and tail legs. The damned dogs were playing tug-o-war with him. I shooed the dogs away. The poor cat was a male Tom about 3 to 4 years old, by now he was paralyzed from the waist down. ..........................
Commendable job Ragul. You did your best. I'm surprised that dogs were able to corner a tom cat which are much more agile than dogs and give right back when attacked.
Our German shepard stopped bothering cats after it got a bloodied nose due to the scratch inflicted by the cat.
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:44   #1879
BHPian

Very Sad to hear about the cat Ragul. You are a real Good Samaritan who offered solace at the last minute of the poor cat. Do something about the stray dogs. If they attack cats, they may attack children too.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:57   #1880
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, very sad, Ragul, but you did what you could.

I have lost my cat as of last two days. Maybe dogs, maybe humans ... we don't know and probably never will now.
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:58   #1881
BHPian

Very sad Ragul. I still remember when we lost our first cat. Was very attached to my mom and usually stayed indoors, always followed my mom, one particular night pestered to go out and never came back. I remember coming back every day from school with the hope he had come back for months until the day my dad decided to get us a replacement. What a replacement it was! ( thats a different story!)

This also brings up the issue of stray dogs. Why can't the so called dog lovers adopt them and feed them, wash them, vaccinate them etc. The poor dogs have to risk their lives for the morsel of stale food? I know a few in my locality, that do just that. feed old leftovers, expect them to guard their houses. Ofcourse its always convenient to disassociate with them once any sort of problem arises.

I also know of a gent in the same area who has adopted about 10 strays, washed, vaccinated and well fed. He does not lock anything, Absolute security!
Old 30th May 2011, 00:04   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
I didnt really want to leave him in the garbage for other dogs to violate his body once more,
Please let's not mix our morals into the natural order of life. Would eagles hunting rabbits also be violating their bodies ? Would you stop tigers from hunting deer ?

We ought to let some things be , the best thing to do sometimes is to do nothing , to not interfere. Our often misguided/false/flawed sense of morals is but a hindrance.
Old 30th May 2011, 01:18   #1883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Please let's not mix our morals into the natural order of life. Would eagles hunting rabbits also be violating their bodies ? Would you stop tigers from hunting deer ?

We ought to let some things be , the best thing to do sometimes is to do nothing , to not interfere. Our often misguided/false/flawed sense of morals is but a hindrance.
Well I saw a dog get hit by a car and I pulled over and carried him over off the street so he could pass away in whatever peace he could get. You reckon I should have left him on the street?

Sometimes you just do what you have to. Morals separate us from animals.
Old 30th May 2011, 01:38   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Well I saw a dog get hit by a car and I pulled over and carried him over off the street so he could pass away in whatever peace he could get. You reckon I should have left him on the street?

Sometimes you just do what you have to. Morals separate us from animals.
I said "the best thing to do sometimes is to do nothing" , not "all the time".
Old 30th May 2011, 02:01   #1885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I said "the best thing to do sometimes is to do nothing" , not "all the time".
Well he judged that it was the best thing to do at that time. Your statement unfortunately sounds like you are judging him. If I had the ability to stop a lion from mauling a deer, I would. That's just the way humans are.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:17   #1886
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning around 4:30AM I was woken up by what sounded like a bad dog fight where one of the dogs was badly cornered. Some really pitiful noises were coming across and I rushed out groggily to find the local neighborhood cat being held by its head and tail legs. The damned dogs were playing tug-o-war with him. I shooed the dogs away. The poor cat was a male Tom about 3 to 4 years old, by now he was paralyzed from the waist down. He was struggling to find a safe corner but could not walk even a few steps. Kept baring his teeth and spitting at me as I tried to comfort him. Finally I grabbed him by the neck when he turned his head away from me and lifted him into my compound where the dogs would not get him.

You did the right thing, ragul.
Thats a bad way to go, since i have faced the same with a cat i had adopted.

Ricci: natural order of things doesnt come into play in an unnatural environment.
dont preach something none of us, at least in this thread, would never do.
In a jungle, different story(i suppose that was your gist).
Old 30th May 2011, 10:42   #1887
Team-BHP Support

I have a female pet dog and she is doing fine.

The only problem we face (as a family) is getting her vaccinated. She doesn't relent easily though we have managed to get her vaccinated successfully as of now, but its too much.

Any other way around? Pills or something?

(Vaccination for rabies, annually)
Old 30th May 2011, 11:10   #1888
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The only problem we face (as a family) is getting her vaccinated. She doesn't relent easily though we have managed to get her vaccinated successfully as of now, but its too much.
Yes it can be a bit of a struggle.

Where do you get her vaccinated? If its at a vet look for the special tables that are used for such vaccinations. Mostly they have a hole in the table through which you can pass the chain and hold the pet down. That position calms the pets and lets the vet vaccinate it easily.

Frankly though it just needs to be done well. I am guessing this is the first vaccination.

We used to wrestle with strays to get them vaccinated. IMAGINE!! I have some scars for life.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:15   #1889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have a female pet dog and she is doing fine.

Any other way around? Pills or something?

(Vaccination for rabies, annually)
^^

Its always too much.
Although, it gets easier as the numbers go up.
Like spitfire said, the tables with holes are usually easier, although that doesnt stop my pets from wiggling their bums something ferocious!
Yes, "scars for life" is correct, but eventually both the dog and the owner learn to live with it.

I dont think there are pills that can be substituted, unless you refer to some sort of sedative, which would be unadvisable...

Otherwise, go with numbers.
My tiny dogs used to need two people, one to hold the head, and one for the legs....but not anymore
huge treats for the them later, so i suppose some sort of pavlovian conditioning has come into effect.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:30   #1890
Senior - BHPian

taking my mother-in-law's cat to the vet was a painful endeavor - literally! she would start clawing at everything the moment she saw the doctor. after a few visits she became calm and would just angrily purr when the doctor was administrating the vaccine

forget about taking to the vet - giving her a bath (when she really dirtied herself) was like taking the Devil to the Church!! the first time we gave her a bath she dug her claws in my palm and then yanked it off!! couldn't ride my bike for a few days!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks