Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:12   #1906
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know how they felt. I lost my cat a week ago, and I am as depressed as if I had lost a child.
... but, this time I am shattered.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat Thad.

I know how it feels like when a pet dies. I had a cat for 12 years and when she passed away I was inconsolable for months. Every time one of my GSD dies, I vow not to adopt another animal until I get another one.
These animals are incredibly intelligent and so lovable that you can't live without them. But to nurture one from a kitten/puppy can be quite painful. My wife threatened to walk out many a times because of this.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:18   #1907

Quote:
I was brought up in a houseful of small animals and taught to accept death as an inevitability, but, this time I am shattered.
Sorry for your loss thad.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:17   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
I know how they felt. I lost my cat a week ago, and I am as depressed as if I had lost a child.

Hardly a first time. Even over the past few years, she was the last survivor of a family of four, so you could say that loosing cats is something that I am accustomed to. Added to which, I was brought up in a houseful of small animals and taught to accept death as an inevitability, but, this time I am shattered.
I know how you feel mate, I remember the feeling when my cat was missing for 2 days and they were amongst the worst. I couldn't eat/sleep, I was getting back home from office & on the way it struck me that my cat was not going to be there & man I was so despondent, can't describe it in words.

It's a good thing I found my cat in a locked shed that same evening after some frantic searching & collaborating with neighbors . The feeling was just like being reunited with a lost loved one. Only a cat owner & lover can relate to.

My cat 'Monu' aka 'Tom is still with me ' and he's err she's 12 by the way. the pictures are 4 years old.

Raihan
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0084.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0085.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2011, 14:58   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
My cat 'Monu' aka 'Tom is still with me ' and he's err she's 12 by the way. the pictures are 4 years old.

Raihan
@Raihan: what breed is your cat? our Juno looks kinda same (see her picture a few posts back).
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:11   #1910
BHPian

@ IronH4wk yeah buddy they do look similar, I had purchased her from Shiviajinagar market in 1999, am not sure on the breed but it looks like a Turkish cross breed, I used to have a pocket reference book on cats & it's my own conclusion

And guess what? our cars are of the same breed too (Getz GLS) hehe

Sorry to hear about Juno.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:40   #1911
Distinguished - BHPian

raihan, you are lucky. I was saying to my wife, what if our cat was shut in near to our house, or even somewhere around the house. Of course we searched, but...

Our maid loved my cat as much as I did, and she and her husband did a thorough search of local empty plots, as well as talking to all local people, which is easier for them, as they have lived here a long time.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:13   #1912
Senior - BHPian

With the temperatures reaching 46 degrees these days here in Jaipur our dog has started showing some symptoms of catching the heat. Btw he is a Lhasa Apso breed with lots of hair.

For the last few days he has been vomiting every time after he eats his meal. He is 7 years old and we only feed him twice a day and his daily diet is milk and roti.

If he keeps continuing like this i.e vomiting I fear he might get dehydrated. So any suggestions as to stop his vomiting? and any suggestions so that he doesnt get de hydrated??

( ORS, does it work with animals too??)

regards
Old 7th June 2011, 13:28   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
With the temperatures reaching 46 degrees these days here in Jaipur our dog has started showing some symptoms of catching the heat. Btw he is a Lhasa Apso breed with lots of hair.

For the last few days he has been vomiting every time after he eats his meal. He is 7 years old and we only feed him twice a day and his daily diet is milk and roti.

If he keeps continuing like this i.e vomiting I fear he might get dehydrated. So any suggestions as to stop his vomiting? and any suggestions so that he doesnt get de hydrated??

regards
The best bet would be to keep him in an AC. Our Lab prompts family members to switch the AC on when ever it get unbearably hot for him.

If that is not feasible, create a cool place - bathroom with a thick wet mat would do. As dogs do not sweat, they have to excrete the heat either through evaporation of water from tongue, or through direct contact, mostly stomach on a cool surface.

You will see street dogs digging up the mud and lying on the relatively cool surface. If you have a lawn, you can create a shaded spot with water soaked lawn where he can spend time cooling off.

Regarding vomiting, try a change in diet. If he takes rice, give him chapatis and vice versa. Contrary to general belief non vegetarian diet is less taxing on dog's stomach compared to vegetarian diet. Ensure that there is plenty of water for him to drink, if he likes give him chilled water from the fridge, most dogs love cold water, some like mine freak out on ice cubes.

ORS works with every animal, after all it replaces minerals lost due to dehydration. If your dog can have curd, then give him chilled curd rice, with sugar and salt mixed in it.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 13:50   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post

regards
Try covering him with a wet towel. Give him a scoop of plain ice-cream (Vanilla), that should stop his vomiting. A vet suggested this to me, and that works.

Aalok
Old 7th June 2011, 13:52   #1915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The best bet would be to keep him in an AC. Our Lab prompts family members to switch the AC on when ever it get unbearably hot................#(REF PREV POST)#................................ to dehydration. If your dog can have curd, then give him chilled curd rice, with sugar and salt mixed in it.
All good.
Also, take some time to visit a vet as well.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 14:01   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The best bet would be to keep him in an AC. Our Lab prompts family members to switch the AC on when ever it get unbearably hot for him.

If that is not feasible, create a cool place - bathroom with a thick wet mat would do. As dogs do not sweat, they have to excrete the heat either through evaporation of water from tongue, or through direct contact, mostly stomach on a cool surface.

You will see street dogs digging up the mud and lying on the relatively cool surface. If you have a lawn, you can create a shaded spot with water soaked lawn where he can spend time cooling off.

Regarding vomiting, try a change in diet. If he takes rice, give him chapatis and vice versa. Contrary to general belief non vegetarian diet is less taxing on dog's stomach compared to vegetarian diet. Ensure that there is plenty of water for him to drink, if he likes give him chilled water from the fridge, most dogs love cold water, some like mine freak out on ice cubes.

ORS works with every animal, after all it replaces minerals lost due to dehydration. If your dog can have curd, then give him chilled curd rice, with sugar and salt mixed in it.
Thank you for your response

1. He usually will sit/sleep in a room where people are sitting, and these days either the cooler or the ac is on wherever we sit, so basically he stays in a cool environment

2. He hates water on his body, he will not go anywhere that is damp, he loves his towel though as he knows it is to wipe him, maybe i can make his towel damp and make him sit on that.

2a. Its too hot to be out in the garden, even in the shade!!

3. We have 2 water bowls always filled for him at the places he usually sits, so its not an issue, maybe will try to give him cold water from time to time.

4. Curd with sugar in salt is a good idea, will try that, thanks. he loves plain curd anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
All good.
Also, take some time to visit a vet as well.
Thanks, will try the above home remedy and if it doesnt work will take him to the Vet!!
Old 14th June 2011, 01:27   #1917

Do take the dog to a vet. Dogs can't metabolise lactose & sugar as we do. I definitely don't recommend milk or ice cream. A small amount of curd & rice is good occasionally but offers little protein. If possible, boil boneless chicken with some rice (30% chicken, 70% rice) & feed until stomach settles. Keep dog's hair short, have a cool area for dog to sleep in, perhaps on blanket on a concrete or tiled floor.

Please research the net for good vet sites if you want to try home remedies, milk & sugar products are definitely going to kill your dog. I've owned pedigree British Bulldogs for 40 years, mine is fed a diet of raw meat (goat, rabbit, mutton), chicken, chicken carcasses,fish but if you are non meat eater it will be hard for you. I do have some experience in breeding & raising dogs.

This is my latest Bulldog, Lulu. 4 months, 12kg & still growing!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-29may1.jpg  

BULLDOG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 13:23   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLDOG View Post
Do take the dog to a vet. Dogs can't metabolise lactose & sugar as we do.
I dont know but our dog drinks around 1 litre milk everyday.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:59   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I dont know but our dog drinks around 1 litre milk everyday.
check again. he must be a cat

seriously - 1lt of milk a day?
Old 14th June 2011, 14:23   #1920
Senior - BHPian

^^

First thing he wants in the morning (around 5 AM) is milk. He is with my parents in my hometown. I was surprised to see his addiction to milk, he makes lots of noise if we dont give. He does not touch diluted milk.

He is not greedy for fish/meat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks