Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 15:15   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Even cats do not need milk, and I've heard that cow milk is not good for them (some people say it isn't good for us!). If a cat is bought up drinking cow milk, it will always demand it; if not, then it will be quite happy with water.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:34   #1922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Even cats do not need milk, and I've heard that cow milk is not good for them (some people say it isn't good for us!). If a cat is bought up drinking cow milk, it will always demand it; if not, then it will be quite happy with water.
Kittens actually turn lactose intolerant at birth. The only milk they can manage is their own mum's milk.

Quote:
While milk might seem like a natural choice for your cat, the truth is that cow’s milk offers no nutritional value for cats, and it can cause digestive problems in many. The reason is that most cats develop intolerance to lactose shortly after they are weaned. This means that they are unable to digest the sugars that occur naturally in milk. This causes problems that include diarrhea and other unpleasant digestive problems.
Source: Should Cats Drink Milk
Old 14th June 2011, 19:41   #1923
BANNED

Interesting! I have always had cats that craved for milk and never knew it does nothing for them. I guess they enjoy it like we enjoy nutritionally useless drinks like coke, soda and alcohol?

--Ragul
Old 14th June 2011, 20:08   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian

Something like that, maybe. I've known plenty of cats that did drink milk, but, for the last 15 or 20 years, have only given mine water --- and they did not show any inclination to milk at all.

(I had one that was very keen on cheese, though! but she was an old lady when she came to live with me, and already set in her strange dietary ways. I gave her cat food, but also shared most of my non-veg stuff with her. Even used to keep her in mind when doing the shopping!)
Old 15th June 2011, 00:55   #1925
Distinguished - BHPian

If you give your kitten milk at birth, they apparently do not turn lactose intolerant or some such. I dont plan on experimenting though.

Nice to see some catty discussions in a predominantly "who let the dogs out" thread.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:27   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

uhh?
hanna, barbera, they've been feeding us lies in our fertile years?
Why did tom keep chasing the milk bottles?
i am shattered!!
Just kiddin'
Would really like to know if this thing about cars being intolerant to milk is correct.

i leave out a saucer full for a local gunda every night.
its gone everytime, but am now not too sure if the cat is drinking it!
Old 15th June 2011, 14:15   #1927
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, "cars" are certainly intolerant of milk

(I love a good typo, and have made many myself)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:24   #1928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, "cars" are certainly intolerant of milk

(I love a good typo, and have made many myself)
(erm, Quick, think like a race car driver...fast excuses!)
"well, the R is next to the T"
"so used to typing CARS on this forum, hence..."
Old 15th June 2011, 18:13   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLDOG View Post
Do take the dog to a vet. Dogs can't metabolise lactose & sugar as we do. I definitely don't recommend milk or ice cream. A small amount of curd & rice is good occasionally but offers little protein. If possible, boil boneless chicken with some rice (30% chicken, 70% rice) & feed until stomach settles. Keep dog's hair short, have a cool area for dog to sleep in, perhaps on blanket on a concrete or tiled floor.

Please research the net for good vet sites if you want to try home remedies, milk & sugar products are definitely going to kill your dog. I've owned pedigree British Bulldogs for 40 years, mine is fed a diet of raw meat (goat, rabbit, mutton), chicken, chicken carcasses,fish but if you are non meat eater it will be hard for you. I do have some experience in breeding & raising dogs.

This is my latest Bulldog, Lulu. 4 months, 12kg & still growing!
Every animal has a different taste, and dogs adapt easily.

My Labrador is now 6 years old and he has

- Raw meat - Mutton, Chicken, Fish
- Raw Chicken carcass
- Parboiled Rice with Vegetables, and garlic
- Drinks at least 1/2 litre of milk
- Loves Icecream and sweets

What we do not give; as advised on the net; - Chocolates, Onion and cooked fish and hard cooked mutton bones, soft cartilage is OK.

Raw Meat is tough and raw bones soft. In contras cooked meat is soft and cooked bones hard and brittle. Avoid cooked bones as the splinters may perforate the stomach.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-19022010001.jpg  

Old 15th June 2011, 21:56   #1930
BHPian

To all the cat lovers,

I have a female kitten about 6 months old and i know she'll grow up and give birth to kittens which I am not ready to handle as i stay in an apartment, I was thinking if i can get it operated or something, Any inputs on this guys?
Old 15th June 2011, 22:58   #1931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
To all the cat lovers,

I have a female kitten about 6 months old and i know she'll grow up and give birth to kittens which I am not ready to handle as i stay in an apartment, I was thinking if i can get it operated or something, Any inputs on this guys?
This is about the right age to get the "un-speakable" done. Neuter her. The harsh way of saying it is the docs will remove her uterus in an operation lasting around an hour or more.

You can get this done at CUPA.

Another reason you will want to do this is the fact that cats go on heat and they go absolutely crazy when on heat. If your kitten is home schooled, this is not something you want to tackle.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:39   #1932
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, akshay... your vet will help you avoid an extended family. It can extend very quickly, once they get started!
Old 18th June 2011, 22:07   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This is about the right age to get the "un-speakable" done. Neuter her. The harsh way of saying it is the docs will remove her uterus in an operation lasting around an hour or more.

You can get this done at CUPA.

Another reason you will want to do this is the fact that cats go on heat and they go absolutely crazy when on heat. If your kitten is home schooled, this is not something you want to tackle.
Quote:
Yes, akshay... your vet will help you avoid an extended family. It can extend very quickly, once they get started!
Thanks for the suggestions guys, The little princess finally got into heat 3 days back, I got to know this after i noticed her symptoms, Loud meowing, urinating many times outside the house which had a very strong odour, and lifting her behind.

The sad part is, She is not to be found since 3 days, She used to come for dinner and breakfast EVERY SINGLE DAY since 6 months and its been 3 days since i've seen her around my house.

I'm worried because she has been having food, water at my place ever since she was a kitten, And now i think that she wont be able to hunt for food and water all by her self.

I've even checked around my neighbor's houses and she is nowhere to be found :(
Old 18th June 2011, 22:09   #1934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, The little princess finally got into heat 3 days back, I got to know this after i noticed her symptoms, Loud meowing, urinating many times outside the house which had a very strong odour, and lifting her behind.

The sad part is, She is not to be found since 3 days, She used to come for dinner and breakfast EVERY SINGLE DAY since 6 months and its been 3 days since i've seen her around my house.

I'm worried because she has been having food, water at my place ever since she was a kitten, And now i think that she wont be able to hunt for food and water all by her self.

I've even checked around my neighbor's houses and she is nowhere to be found :(
She's off to make her own little family bro. She'll probably come around after she's done romping around. And if she's preggers, then she'll most likely be at your place for good until she gives birth.

Stay strong and hope for the best.
Old 18th June 2011, 22:21   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
She's off to make her own little family bro. She'll probably come around after she's done romping around. And if she's preggers, then she'll most likely be at your place for good until she gives birth.

Stay strong and hope for the best.
Thanks for the reply Red liner, I googled for "cat missing after getting into heat" and i got to know that it is common for cats to wander away from their home looking for a dream tom, I hope she returns soon. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks