Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 16:20   #1981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
erm....you havent mentioned the goldfish in sometime, and are looking to buy a betta?
what happened?
didnt get you, the gold fish thingy, yes i m looking out to buy (volkswagen ) betta now..can you help, i stay in hauz khas (south delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
As i said earlier, putting any other fish, other than a lone betta, in a fish bowl amounts to cruelty. Throw away that fish bowl and get yourself a proper aquarium if you are seriously into fish-keeping. Remember these are living beings, not toys.

A gold fish lives happily in a fish bowl only in hollywood movies.

A betta can survive even in a coffee mug without any complaints (why? because it can breath oxygen directly from air above water surface) , but please don't do it.
ok done bro..ill buy betta..was just keen to know if any other fishes are touch like betta...hey i have been people selling fishes in "8pm" whisky bottle , are those betta fishes ?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th June 2011 at 10:19. Reason: back to back posts within 30mins.
Old 24th June 2011, 17:01   #1982
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
.... i have been people selling fishes in "8pm" whisky bottle ....

Is Maneka Gandhi reading this?

Only a betta can survive such inhospitable conditions.

The only other fish i would suggest (sob sob) for a fish bowl is a pair of guppies.These are a tough & hardy breed, often used mercilessly to cycle new fish tanks.
But you will still be putting them on death row. It is just a matter of time before they float belly-up.

Last edited by WindRide : 24th June 2011 at 17:03.
Old 24th June 2011, 23:00   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
[COLOR=black]@nik17[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I would suggest you go through [COLOR=black]www.indianaquariumhobbyist.com[/COLOR] before buying any more fish. It will save you time and money, most importantly your pets life.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Happy fish keeping .[/COLOR]
Hi Rajeswaran,

That was an excellent post. very informative. Since you are from Chennai, I hope you would be able to help me out in finding a good shop to get a tank. I currently have a 24"*12"*18" (LBH) normal silicone pasted tank. Iam planning to go for a moulded (Chinese make?) tank. It looks better and supposedly is more resistant to leakages is what I heard. Did a bit of looking around and observed a huge variation in prices at different places. I know Kolathur is the hub for getting anything related to aquariums - Would you recommend any shop in Kolathur or any other place.
I would also try to attend the 'Aquatika' meet.

Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 23:32   #1984
BHPian

@ZedMae

Don't go for the moulded tanks, they are not that reliable. There were quite a few incidents of moulded tanks breaking at the middle of the night and flooding the whole house reported in IAH. Also most of them are made in Acrylic and it is prone to scratches. You can check the shops at Kolathur for fishes, fish food, stands plants(if you are into planted tanks), but don't go there for tanks as it will be a bit tough to transport the tanks if they are bigger than 3 feet. Also go for 12m thickness and above if your tanks dimension is greater than 2.5 feet. It will be a bit heavier and also tougher, so will avoid the need for braces till 4 feet length. You can go for custome made tanks with black silicone.There are few guys who can make them for you, though their prices will be bit higher than the Kolathur guys, the fit and finish will of these tanks will speak for themselves. I have personally seen these tanks in couple of IAH members houses. I will try to get the contact info by this weekend, as I will be out of town for the next three days. Based on what kind of setup you want to do, decide on the dimension and go ahead.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 12:13   #1985
BHPian

Adopted 3 kittens (1M/2F) on Saturday (25-Jun). Got to know of these kittens through the 'Pet Pals' section in the daily 'The Hindu'. Seems the mother cat got injured/killed in a road accident leaving these three naughty fellows alone.

I wanted to adopt 2 kittens. When contacted, I got to know that there are 3 kittens. Then adopted all 3, because if I take only 2, the other 1 would feel so lonely.

All 3 are very naughty. The greyish one, sitting on the sofa's hand is the male one and the other two sitting above the sofa are females.

Haven't named till now. Suggestions welcome! One of them (the right most in the pic) is very lean and so thought of naming her 'Sony' (in tamil it means lean) and consequently the other two as Nokia and Samsung . Anyway, I am looking for some sweet short names.

EDIT: Uploaded second picture - Sony and the male cat (Nokia??) fighting with each other!!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01065.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01066.jpg  

Last edited by callvvijay : 27th June 2011 at 12:16.
callvvijay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 12:31   #1986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Adopted 3 kittens (1M/2F) on Saturday (25-Jun). Got to know of these kittens through the 'Pet Pals' section in the daily 'The Hindu'. Seems the mother cat got injured/killed in a road accident leaving these three naughty fellows alone.
Good man, Vijay!
So much better than chasing pedigrees!

Whatever you do, dont name the 3rd one apple, or youre gonna have a ruckus everyday in your house!!

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2011 at 12:23. Reason: No need to quote the entire post; please quote only the relevant bits. Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 14:08   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adopted 3 kittens (1M/2F) on Saturday (25-Jun).
Super!! I am glad that you adopted all 3. For the time being they are play fighting each other, but as they grow, the male tom will leave because the resident tom in your area will not allow another male. He will however come back periodically to your home. Also once they grow up, the two females will be competing with each other.

Since young kittens are more prone to getting fleas, I would suggest that you consult a vet and put anti-flea powder. If they get used to it early, they won't mind it.

Btw, you already have very good names for them !

Can you please put in more pics of them? I love cats, already had 11 of them at one time. Now only 3 unfortunately.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 14:16   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Super!! I am glad that you adopted all 3. For the time being they are play fighting each other, but as they grow, the male tom will leave because the resident tom in your area will not allow another male. He will however come back periodically to your home. Also once they grow up, the two females will be competing with each other.

Since young kittens are more prone to getting fleas, I would suggest that you consult a vet and put anti-flea powder. If they get used to it early, they won't mind it.

Btw, you already have very good names for them !

Can you please put in more pics of them? I love cats, already had 11 of them at one time. Now only 3 unfortunately.
Thanks WAG7. Will check with the vet during the next visit. BTW, after taking them from their foster home, I directly went to a vet for a checkup and the vet said all of them are perfectly fine and have asked to bring them after 2-3 weeks.

Also, I too have had 9 kittens/cats till now! And after a long time, I am adopting now.

Any advise on vegetarian diet for them is really welcome. I have been giving them milk, curd and rice. One of them likes bread. And, I also got them Whiskas (pellet like dry food). They all like that also.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:22   #1989
BHPian

New member at home

Team-BHPians and their Pets-sweety.jpg

Just wanted to share with you all guys.

Last edited by babureddy : 27th June 2011 at 14:29.
babureddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 14:35   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any advise on vegetarian diet for them is really welcome. I have been giving them milk, curd and rice. One of them likes bread. And, I also got them Whiskas (pellet like dry food). They all like that also.
Maybe boiled egg or chicken would be fine for them if you are OK with non-veg items in your house. I have heard from many people not to give them milk; because they say cats are lactose intolerant. But all my cats drink milk, so I can't confirm this point.

Whiskas is great, but instead of the hard pellets at this stage, you can try the Whiskas fish pack, which will be softer. One portion in the morning and one in the evening should do fine for them. And yes, after they have Whiskas Fish/pellets, let them drink a lot of water. As far as possible avoid giving them anything in between two meal times.

This will ensure that they are not too dependent on you for food and also will ensure that they don't get a habit of demand feeding. I learnt this; the hard way. Meals only twice a day will also sharpen their predatory instincts because then if they feel hungry in between, they will learn to go out and hunt for themselves.

Btw, my cats have pedigree puppy food, now they have developed such a liking to it, that they will not touch any other cat food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
New member at home
Ohhhhh!!!! He's very cute!! Where did you get a dog with blue eyes? I have rarely seen a dog with blue eyes!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 27th June 2011 at 14:39. Reason: grammar
Old 27th June 2011, 14:39   #1991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
New member at home

Attachment 567534

adorable.
and he(she?) IS upto something bad, aint he/she(?)?
assuming the young-un is the recent one.

Last edited by mayankk : 27th June 2011 at 14:41.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:44   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
adorable.
and he(she?) IS upto something bad, aint he/she(?)?
assuming the young-un is the recent one.
Actually there are three at home. Golden Retriever and a Black Lab(not in the pic) are 4 yrs old. they are cool guys.
This new one is a Great Dane (Harlequin patches). She is 45+ days old, but very naughty, very playful. Keeps on irritating the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Ohhhhh!!!! He's very cute!! Where did you get a dog with blue eyes? I have rarely seen a dog with blue eyes!
Actually a known person had purchased it, but he for some reason was selling her. And even we fell for her eyes...

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th June 2011 at 00:26. Reason: merging back to back posts within 30mins.
Old 27th June 2011, 18:29   #1993
BHPian

Folks,

Here are some pics of my aquarium.

Cheers,
KTP
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0648.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0644.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0643.jpg  

kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 19:27   #1994
BHPian

finally got 3 pair of guppies (i hope i am spelling it right) fishes..they are very small in size..
Old 27th June 2011, 19:45   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
finally got 3 pair of guppies (i hope i am spelling it right) fishes..they are very small in size..
guppies are nice, does'nt do any harm to other fishes...there are a lot of varieties in them too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks