Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Folks,
Here are some pics of my aquarium.
Cheers,
KTP
Nice, Suppa nice. The angle of 1st pic is lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
finally got 3 pair of guppies (i hope i am spelling it right) fishes..they are very small in size..
Yeah, GUPPIES is correct. But you have mentioned nothing about water pump & other things I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Adopted 3 kittens (1M/2F) on Saturday (25-Jun). I wanted to adopt 2 kittens. When contacted, I got to know that there are 3 kittens. Then adopted all 3, because if I take only 2, the other 1 would feel so lonely.

All 3 are very naughty. The greyish one, sitting on the sofa's hand is the male one and the other two sitting above the sofa are females.
!!
They are ADORABLE & CUTE. Man we need many more people like you. please dont name them those stupid names. Imagine they going off-signal .

Raab Rakha.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:32   #1997
BANNED

Oh that dark grey tabby kitten was an instant favorite with me!!

3 kittens means a lot of monkey business climbing up and down curtain walls and playing with ping pong ball or a large marble - get one and find out. You might quit watching ESPN football

-Ragul
Old 27th June 2011, 21:20   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

Any advise on vegetarian diet for them is really welcome. I have been giving them milk, curd and rice. One of them likes bread. And, I also got them Whiskas (pellet like dry food). They all like that also.
Cats will eat almost whatever you give them - but they are obligate carnivores.

Cats cannot synthesize 2 amino acids - arginine and taurine. On a natural diet, these can be supplied by meat/fish and their bones. I do not know if there are supplements for these.

If a cat does not get these 2 vital amino acids - they shall lose weight/have stunted growth (lack of arginine) and shall slowly lose their vision (lack of taurine).

Please try to give your cats some chicken/fish(both with bones) - or ensure that they receive any supplement (if available).

Wikipedia has a great amount of detail on cats - I found the above information there itself - Cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 27th June 2011, 21:26   #1999
BHPian

@sirs: babu n sonu, the fish guy told me not to use air pump in bowl..instead use tetrabit food for fishes and change water in every2 days, use aqua guard water and then u dont need air pump..
Old 27th June 2011, 21:34   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
get one and find out
i did - the hard way! Juno was a good girl until she got into our car!! now my upholstery is riddled with holes and full of scratches!!

but her antics were cute
Old 27th June 2011, 22:28   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@ZedMae

Don't go for the moulded tanks, they are not that reliable. .... Based on what kind of setup you want to do, decide on the dimension and go ahead.
From what I learnt, all moulded tanks are not acrylic. There are glass moulded tanks as well, though I dont know anyone personally who has used such a tank for a long term ownership report. Anyway, will wait for your information on good tank makers in chennai.

cheers

Last edited by ZedMae : 27th June 2011 at 22:32.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:09   #2002
BHPian

Hello guys,

This is what happened to my cat, she was drenched in some thick oil head to toe which none of us could figure out, It was surely not edible oil nor motor oil, But i suspect its the tar oil which is used on laying tar road. I think someone deliberately threw oil on her or she jumped into it accidentally.

I tried washing her with lots of shampoo but in vein, I had to take her to CUPA and get her washed thoroughly after sedating her and even after two rounds of washing the oil hasn't gone completely.

And now i plan to wash her myself cos' i do not want to give her one more shot of sedative which will make her groggy and uncomfortable throughout the day.

Any suggestion on what to use to get rid of the oil, She isn't very easy to handle in the bathroom.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:17   #2003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b
Hello guys,

This is what happened to my cat, she was drenched in some thick oil head to toe which none of us could figure out, It was surely not edible oil nor motor oil, But i suspect its the tar oil which is used on laying tar road. I think someone deliberately threw oil on her or she jumped into it accidentally.

I tried washing her with lots of shampoo but in vein, I had to take her to CUPA and get her washed thoroughly after sedating her and even after two rounds of washing the oil hasn't gone completely.

And now i plan to wash her myself cos' i do not want to give her one more shot of sedative which will make her groggy and uncomfortable throughout the day.

Any suggestion on what to use to get rid of the oil, She isn't very easy to handle in the bathroom.
Just make sure if any is left,it's only on the fur,not the skin.
Then all you can do is wait for it to flake off.
Too much trauma with vigorous shampoos and baths.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:21   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Hello guys,

Try to get to know what oil is that - so that a more specific approach can be taken. Also please use cat shampoo as human shampoo might contain chemicals harmful for cats.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:06   #2005
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote is leaving this for the vets to cope with. Tar oil is thick and black, and sets of course, else our roads would be permanently sticky. Crude oil --- well, think of the pictures you see in the press when there is an oil spill.

Your cat must not lick this stuff

If it really is all clogged into the fur, I would think a complete shave would be in order, then it will be much easier to clean the skin. Vets should know this kind of rescue work.

Don't worry: she'd be furry again in a week or two.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:30   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just make sure if any is left,it's only on the fur,not the skin.
Then all you can do is wait for it to flake off.
Too much trauma with vigorous shampoos and baths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Try to get to know what oil is that - so that a more specific approach can be taken. Also please use cat shampoo as human shampoo might contain chemicals harmful for cats.
The oil has gone, but not completely, And i doubt a pet shampoo can take out all the oil so I plan using liquid soap on her legs and a baby shampoo on her face and neck so that her eyes are safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My vote is leaving this for the vets to cope with. Tar oil is thick and black, and sets of course, else our roads would be permanently sticky. Crude oil --- well, think of the pictures you see in the press when there is an oil spill.

If it really is all clogged into the fur, I would think a complete shave would be in order, then it will be much easier to clean the skin. Vets should know this kind of rescue work.

Don't worry: she'd be furry again in a week or two.
This is not the black thick oil that hardens after drying, This oil is thicker than usual edible oil, I'm doubting it is the oil which is used for tars, because a freshly laid road on my street smells exactly the same. She doesn't lick her legs due to the weird smell that the oil has left behind.

Little amount of oil is left on the fur which hasn't hardened, I think a wash will take it all out, If it doesn't work out then i'll have to take it to the vet and get her washed after sedating her and i dont think shaving off her coat is required.

I'm wondering if i can use liquid soap meant for humans.

Last edited by akshay_b : 29th June 2011 at 19:32.
Old 29th June 2011, 20:04   #2007
BHPian

This is my 9 month old German shepherd 'Kaiser'.
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2011, 21:03   #2008
BANNED

Quote:

Try shaving completely. she will look horrible I know and loose her thermal protection and her health. You may have to custom stitch knitted woolens to keep her warm and slip them on.

Try rubbing or kerosene then super Rin then finish off with cat shampoo last so that any toxins in human shampoo are washed away.

Can you post a pic? I am glad you are taking care of her.

--Ragul
Old 29th June 2011, 21:22   #2009
Distinguished - BHPian

I really would not worry about mild soaps, shampoos, etc.

Shaved, or not, certainly all this is going to ruin the "eco-system" of your poor cat's fur, but the oil will have done that anyway. Don't worry: it will recover.
Old 30th June 2011, 22:09   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Try shaving completely. she will look horrible I know and loose her thermal protection and her health. You may have to custom stitch knitted woolens to keep her warm and slip them on.

Try rubbing or kerosene then super Rin then finish off with cat shampoo last so that any toxins in human shampoo are washed away.

Can you post a pic? I am glad you are taking care of her.

--Ragul
Quote:
I really would not worry about mild soaps, shampoos, etc.

Shaved, or not, certainly all this is going to ruin the "eco-system" of your poor cat's fur, but the oil will have done that anyway. Don't worry: it will recover.
Guys, Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, I washed my princess with liquid soap for about 20 mins and she's all clean and comfortable but the smell still exists, May be another wash after a week will take care of that.
akshay_b is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks