Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 11:25   #2146
BANNED

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It will be a valuable lesson for your children to grow with the cats, and if it includes the odd tear at a small scratch, that is no big deal.

Encourage your daughter to respect the cats as beings, not to treat them as mere toys or playthings. It will be a great lesson, and very satisfying for her. Of course, there will be tears as they die or are lost, but that is also another kind of lesson too.
Wonderful words Thad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Absolutely. Children growing up with pets around are generally more tolerant and shall not engage in destructive behavior. I have a friend where kids in her house refer to the house cat / dog as siblings, not pets.
And the lessons they teach are invaluable. I speak from my own experience.
I agree totally. I see "little people" in animals and other creatures all the time, and I have also seen the "awakening" or awareness of knowledge that one is born different from their much loved keeper (i.e me, for want of a better word) as they sit purring by my side and gazing into my eyes.

I have enjoyed closely watching my cats during my childhood much more than Nat Geo or Discovery Channel or Animal Planet. To watch the cycle of birth to death, upbringing, how the mother raises the little ones trains them, their instincts, their personalities, it is the the most cherished insight into life that I have had the privilege of seeing.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 17th August 2011 at 11:27.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 13:18   #2147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful words Thad!
Thanks! It's just the benefit of how I was brought up, so the the thanks are entirely due to my mum . Sadly, she is no longer around to receive them. She was an excellent driver too!

Another thing about cats: they do sometimes give a nip which is a friendly thing. One of my recent cats used to chew my toe. Nothing to worry about.

How they treat us depends, to a large extent, on how we treat them. I am quite cat-like with cats --- and so they play and treat me as a sibling. I'm happy with a few scratches!
Old 18th August 2011, 12:49   #2148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Unlike other breeds (except the Pit Bull), Rottweilers attack instinctively, even their masters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
These powerful breed at times are unpredictable. My husband is in the veterinary pharma business and interacts with many breeders.
Another sad event brought tears to my eyes. I would kill myself it it happened to my daughter.
Quote:
MELBOURNE: Australian police say a 4-year-old girl has been killed inside her suburban Melbourne home by a neighbour's escaped dog.

Police Supt. Graham Kent says the pit-bull cross entered the home where Ayen Chol was watching TV with other children on Wednesday evening and attacked. A 5-year-old girl and a 30-year-old woman were also injured. Chol died at the scene.

Chol's cousin Daniel Atem says the injured woman was outside the house when the dog chased her inside.

Atem says the dog then attacked the 5-year-old. As Chol's mother intervened it turned on Chol, who was clinging to her mother's leg.

Kent says the dog will be destroyed and charges are being considered against its owner.
From Police say girl killed in Australian home by pitbull - The Times of India

This breed is a Frankenstein.

Quote:
Thanks! It's just the benefit of how I was brought up, so the the thanks are entirely due to my mum . Sadly, she is no longer around to receive them. She was an excellent driver too!

Another thing about cats: they do sometimes give a nip which is a friendly thing. One of my recent cats used to chew my toe. Nothing to worry about.

How they treat us depends, to a large extent, on how we treat them. I am quite cat-like with cats --- and so they play and treat me as a sibling. I'm happy with a few scratches!
My Respect and Regards in her memory. Yes I've had cats bite me playfully and sharply at times, but they seem to know just how much pressure to apply.

But I have a new visitor at home today. She is a brown/Red Tabby I have been trying to lure over the last few weeks by leaving some cat food in the tray. Today she decided to trust me and came over with demanding meows in a hoarse voice.

She is expecting and I anticipate a litter by September. Unfortunately I think her hormones are acting up. She is a little too aggressive in rubbing against me and biting me sharply every now then, sometimes with a growl then scurrying away into a corner to come back again with a desperate look. Then she ruined a somewhat new but unused rolled up carpet from the undersides - I was planning to return it and exchange for a new one as I dislike the color and pattern after I brought it home. Now finding that new one will cost me another 16K as the damage to the underside makes it not exchangeable although repairable... gone in a few minutes of sharpening her nails.

Finally I had to scold her as she wasn't letting me walk two steps without tripping. Now she's sulking outside on my scooter.

I am not clear why she is so aggressive. Any advice? Heres a pic.

--Ragul
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-kitty.jpg  

Last edited by Ragul : 18th August 2011 at 12:51.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:10   #2149
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to have a regular stray. In fact, he was my cat's boyfriend (when last seen he seemed to be mourning her absence, just like me!). This cat was very demanding for food, and quite friendly, but he bit me several times, and they were deep, blood-drawing bites (the first prompted me to get a course of rabies injections). I never understood if this was aggression, or just, somehow, not having the knack of biting gently. I used to fend him off with a book while putting down his food.

We do not have carpets, but just a few small rugs. Apart from the bedside rug (which was expensive in London) they are just cheap things from local hardware shops, so we did not mind the cats abusing them. Back in London, though, it was a perpetual problem of cats v soft furnishings and sofas, etc, always had to have throw-over covers.

The tripping thing is a nuisance. It is just something some cats do because they like you and/or they want something!

That colour, by the way, we call "Ginger." She is a nice looking cat
Old 18th August 2011, 18:11   #2150
BANNED

Quote:
I used to have a regular stray. In fact, he was my cat's boyfriend (when last seen he seemed to be mourning her absence, just like me!). This cat was very demanding for food, and quite friendly, but he bit me several times, and they were deep, blood-drawing bites (the first prompted me to get a course of rabies injections). I never understood if this was aggression, or just, somehow, not having the knack of biting gently. I used to fend him off with a book while putting down his food.

The tripping thing is a nuisance. It is just something some cats do because they like you and/or they want something!

That colour, by the way, we call "Ginger." She is a nice looking cat

Yeah all said I am kinda scared of this one because she is new. Shes growled in the next room too. The tripping nuisance continues as I work form home today. Shooed her again.

I think it is a survival strategy to rub so aggressively. Its in their genes that a little effort will fetch them food. Do cats purr when not around humans?
That could be another strategy too. Because the low frequency steady purrs calms us down and induce fondness for it. Hidden Masters of psychology I guess?

Because I did not raise this cat, I know its not fondness for me. Its our first day today dammit! Won't mind meeting women like that though

Ah yes ginger cat I forgot the word! She is quiet healthy and robust looking one yes. I think she is looking for a new place to litter and found gullible me.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 18th August 2011 at 18:17.
Old 18th August 2011, 18:21   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Just lost my 9 year old Tyson, a Brindle Boxer to prolonged illness of accute arthritis and bladder stones. Unlike his name he was one of the gentlest dogs ive seen. My children would sit on his back, pull his non existent tail and even pull his cheeks but he always accommodated them without so much as even a protesting sound.

In his passing away, my GSD Max, has lost a companion and a best friend. He looks at me everytime with a puzzled gaze, as if to ask me where his friend has gone.

RIP my friend, I hope he is happy wherever he is and wish him a better next life.

TYSON- taken recently before he passed away.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-23102007062.jpg

MAX- recently travelling with me to Lonavala, snoozing in the rear seat of the Innova.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00263-800x600.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 18th August 2011 at 18:22.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 22:43   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Just lost my 9 year old Tyson, a Brindle Boxer to prolonged illness of accute arthritis and bladder stones. Unlike his name he was one of the gentlest dogs ive seen.

In his passing away, my GSD Max, has lost a companion and a best friend. He looks at me everytime with a puzzled gaze, as if to ask me where his friend has gone.

RIP my friend, I hope he is happy wherever he is and wish him a better next life.
Dear V16
Condolences..
I feel your loss.
RIP Tyson.
We are only left with fond memories of our favourite pet..
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 22:49   #2153
Distinguished - BHPian

V-16, sorry to hear that. It is never easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
He looks at me everytime with a puzzled gaze, as if to ask me where his friend has gone.
A question that you'll never be able to answer ..
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 22:51   #2154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Yeah all said I am kinda scared of this one because she is new. Shes growled in the next room too. The tripping nuisance continues as I work form home today. Shooed her again.

I think it is a survival strategy to rub so aggressively. Its in their genes that a little effort will fetch them food. Do cats purr when not around humans?
That could be another strategy too. Because the low frequency steady purrs calms us down and induce fondness for it. Hidden Masters of psychology I guess?

Because I did not raise this cat, I know its not fondness for me. Its our first day today dammit! Won't mind meeting women like that though

Ah yes ginger cat I forgot the word! She is quiet healthy and robust looking one yes. I think she is looking for a new place to litter and found gullible me.

--Ragul
You are discovering: Cat is Boss!
Old 18th August 2011, 23:55   #2155
BANNED

Quote:
You are discovering: Cat is Boss!
Well this one is crazy!! After having fed it a handful from a new pack of Whiskas that I stepped out to get in the pouring rains, it wanted more (which I refused since it has to adapt to the new food) and then it just lunged savagely at my angle and sunk a tooth in while kicking furiously with its hind legs. Finally I got a stick and drove it out. The behavior is worrying me and now I am having doubts if I want to let it litter in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Just lost my 9 year old Tyson, a Brindle Boxer to prolonged illness of accute arthritis and bladder stones.
I am sorry for the loss. It is hard to lose ones dear pet. I would share my grief with the other dog if I were in your place. They understand sometimes.

RIP Tyson.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 18th August 2011 at 23:57.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 10:50   #2156
Senior - BHPian

V-16 Sorry for your loss. I hope you're spending extra time with your GSD.They need more emotional support than us at times like these. We have a lot of things to occupy us. All they have is love and companionship.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 12:31   #2157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it just lunged savagely at my angle and sunk a tooth in while kicking furiously with its hind legs.
How "savagely?" Did she draw blood?

Remember that fighting in play, for cats, is just an affectionate thing. I'm afraid it sounds as if this cat really likes you!
Old 19th August 2011, 15:11   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
it just lunged savagely at my angle and sunk a tooth in while kicking furiously with its hind legs. Finally I got a stick and drove it out. The behavior is worrying me and now I am having doubts if I want to let it litter in my house.
--Ragul
Sometimes, some cats need to be shown who is the "top cat". Keep a stern face and loudly call out "No" or some such thing when she shows aggression. I had a cat which would lash out at your eyes when you stroke him in the 'wrong way'. I had had enough of its antics once and yelled at it. It somehow understood that it had crossed its limits and from then stopped lashing out at the eyes. More than the words, they understand your facial expression, tone and the body language.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:24   #2159
BANNED

Quote:
How "savagely?" Did she draw blood?

Remember that fighting in play, for cats, is just an affectionate thing. I'm afraid it sounds as if this cat really likes you!
Got one tooth in 1/2mm deep maybe. But it was not the rub-stroke-nip sequence but a pounce from a distance with growl and mock attack that bothered me. The cat certainly was not being playful rather sounded neurotic and irritated. Hope its not rabies infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Sometimes, some cats need to be shown who is the "top cat". Keep a stern face and loudly call out "No" or some such thing when she shows aggression. I had a cat which would lash out at your eyes when you stroke him in the 'wrong way'. I had had enough of its antics once and yelled at it. It somehow understood that it had crossed its limits and from then stopped lashing out at the eyes. More than the words, they understand your facial expression, tone and the body language.

Yep. I actually chased it with a Jopasu duster yesterday (not a stick as I reported) and I found the cat was scared **** about it. Today she returned more docile and pleading than yesterday and her behavior and conduct is more circumspect. She is cowering at my loud "SShhh..!" noises (well not every time) and stern demeanor.

But it appears to be working.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 19th August 2011 at 19:25.
Old 19th August 2011, 22:31   #2160
Distinguished - BHPian

This is an amazing story of a cat and man getting to know one another.

She is certainly determined that she is going to get to know you. Consider yourself chosen!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks