Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 04:28   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Had a peculiar experience this morning when I was leaving for work.
The cat is nowhere to be seen - but the food and water bowl are there in the corridor. There is also a 'thank you so much' note left beside the food bowl! I'm puzzled.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:46   #2327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The cat is nowhere to be seen - but the food and water bowl are there in the corridor. There is also a 'thank you so much' note left beside the food bowl! I'm puzzled.
youve got to find this cat and keep him!
a writing cat will earn you billions!

more probably, the owner/keeper probably appreciated that someone made the effort to look out for the cat.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:53   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
youve got to find this cat and keep him!
a writing cat will earn you billions!

more probably, the owner/keeper probably appreciated that someone made the effort to look out for the cat.
......writing cat.

Guess I could put the pieces together.
The cat was from another apartment / building in the same complex and somehow made its way to our apartment bldg. As the doors for apartment access are locked, poor guy could not get out. My next door neighbors having a cat themselves took pity and left some food / water for him.
After I called the apartment management, (I assume) they found out the owner who rightfully claimed her cat and left a thank you note for my next door neighbor.
Happy ending
Old 14th October 2011, 10:22   #2329
Distinguished - BHPian

When will we learn to become a little more compassionate?
There was a cute pair of stray dogs right outside my house. They have been here for almost 4-5 years now and it was so cute to see them start a family every year. Each year it was such a beautiful and romantic site to see the mother dog sit with her small pups and the Dad ( if I can call him that) take care of the territory and stuff .
There is a school nearby and unfortunately one of the school buses went over the male dog while he took shelter beneath the bus and killed it instantly.The poor female dog was left alone and I could see the sadness in her eyes. This was around 3 weeks back.
Tragedy stuck again a week back when some strays from some other area came in the night and since the female was alone now, they bloody injured her very seriously ( as told to me by the guard the next morning). She ran away and hid somewhere and I couldn't locate her even after many attempts. Yesterday saw her again after a week and was shocked at the site. She had became half her size with her ribs showing, and more horrifying was to see her having very deep wounds over her head and legs which were infested with maggots. I gave her some milk mixed with a painkiller which she had reluctantly and poured some savlon and put turmeric. Wasn't too sure if I could touch her and how will she react. Went to work only and to my utter surprise came to know that someone called the MCD people and they took her away to probably kill her. I have never felt more disgusted with our race. How can we be so self centered. Even a slight back pain can make us whimper like a kid and here was a harmless dog literally in unbearable pain and agony and this is what we do. Really ashamed.

As an after thought may be it was good for her and this was God's way of uniting her with her soulmate.

But the real question thats kept troubling me is what ahs become of us? So many times I have seen people driving there cars go at top speeds even when they see a dog sitting on the road. They just assume that it will move or otherwise get killed, none of the 2 outcomes really mattering much to them. I always try to make them understand that the poor creatures are blindfolded by your Headlights. And even if for a second they were lazy to move, or couldn't judge your speed, is it reason enough to hurt them, disable them or worst of all kill them? Really really sad. Sorry for the long rant but I had to get it out of my system!

There was a time when I used to get angry as the female dog developed a liking to sleep on the roof of my car. She used to scratch the roof in the process. I still laugh remembering the puzzled and probably happy look she had when she climbed the roof of my neighbours new Porsche Cayenne and found the sunroof instead of the metal.

Last edited by drmohitg : 14th October 2011 at 10:30.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 10:34   #2330
Distinguished - BHPian

Dr sahab, i understand your frustration.
i dont understand some people myself.
I was walking my dogs the other day, and one is really old, almost 13 years, and a small dog at that.
Naturally, not very quick, sees out of one eye, hears only very loud noises, and cuter than a button more so because of this.
This indigo cabbie, driving for some ministry, screamed in, braked and started honking at her, to get out of the way, which she naturally did not...
and then he has the nerve to say "hata nahi to chadha dunga."
(move her, else ill run her over)

i was on the verge of picking her up before he said that.
trust me he had hell to pay after that, especially from his taxi stand "maalik" who's tender contract got cancelled.

but alas, there's only so much any of us can do.
May there forever be pee in the bottles of people who call in municipal bodies to remove dogs just cos they find them annoying.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 15:13   #2331
BHPian

Hey guys,

I'm looking to give away my kittens to a caring pet lover, These female kittens are 1 and a half month old and are very naughty and adorable, The mother has all the necessary vaccinations done and both the kittens are absolutely healthy, Bangalore folks can pick them up from my residence at any time. As we live in an apartment its a little difficult to look after them throughout the day.

The white one is named Snowy and the other one is named Multi(Multicolor )
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc3053h.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc3105.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc3070p.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc3078p.jpg  

Old 15th October 2011, 12:15   #2332
Senior - BHPian

You can get all sorts of opinions on the net. It is upto you to separate the grain from chaff.

Most of the misconception regarding garlic are associated with its similarity to onion. Raw onion is harmful to dogs, and well documented fact. Garlic is different. All my friends and I, have been feeding garlic to dogs since they were puppies with no ill effect till date.
Garlic for Dogs

As far as I could gather, the following food are to be avoided as they harm them
. Raw Onion
. Raw Tomatoes
. Chocolates
. Raw Salmon
Old 15th October 2011, 12:41   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I could gather, the following food are to be avoided as they harm them
. Raw Onion
. Raw Tomatoes
. Chocolates
. Raw Salmon
Adding:
. Any fruits and vegetables which have seeds in it.
. Salt & Sugar
Old 15th October 2011, 12:58   #2334
BHPian

IMO a little bit of salt is required. Salt in large quantities are to be avoided.
Old 15th October 2011, 13:23   #2335
Distinguished - BHPian

Presenting to you my 8 year old Lab, Tuffy. He is a slightly mixed breed but we didn't have the heart to return him. One look at his cute puppy face was all that was needed to convince us. And now I can confidently say he is the most pampered dog in this world. My mom might forget to make dinner for us, but she will ensure that the AC is on in whichever room tuffy has choosen to relax for the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20111015-12.56.02.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20111015-12.55.45.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20111015-12.56.36.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20111015-12.56.07.jpg  

drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 14:33   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Adding:
. Salt & Sugar
Salt is essential for all animals. How much is the questions. I have read of animals congregating at "salt Licks" in wild. In fact at some national parks, the rangers arrange for "salt licks" at strategic locations for deer and other herbivores. Carnivores though, get most of their salt intake from the blood. In case you give totally salt less diet, in time salt deficiency will set in. So a little bit of salt intake is recommended.

Same is the case with sugar. A moderate amount gives an energy boost. But if the dog has very little exercise, then extra sugar is not required. In my case my Labrador has an extremely sweet tooth, but his sweet intake is limited to one or two sweets given by my wife, from prasad every Saturday.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:10   #2337
BHPian

The little amount of salt that they need, they already get from chicken, bones.. etc

Humans can get rid of extra salt but Dogs can't as they do not sweat..!!!!

Same is the case with sugar.

Last edited by Googleman : 15th October 2011 at 15:15.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:29   #2338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You can get all sorts of opinions on the net. It is upto you to separate the grain from chaff.

Most of the misconception regarding garlic are associated with its similarity to onion. Raw onion is harmful to dogs, and well documented fact. Garlic is different. All my friends and I, have been feeding garlic to dogs since they were puppies with no ill effect till date.
Garlic for Dogs

. Raw Onion
. Raw Tomatoes
. Chocolates
. Raw Salmon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Adding:
. Salt & Sugar
A few more.

* Dry Fruits - especially raisins and walnuts. A handful of raisins/walnuts can be lethal. ouch!
* Grapes and Avocado / Butterfruit - avoid feeding this. Can be quite toxic
* Citrus fruits like orange/sweetlime can cause some nasty allergies in some dogs
* Mushrooms - can cause some fatal effects and death in some cases. Not worth the risk feeding
* Deep fried junk food & table scraps - although not toxic, they lead to obesity quickly if uncontrolled.

P.S - raw onion or cooked onion, it doesn't make a difference. Both are equally capable of causing hemalytic anemia
Old 15th October 2011, 15:31   #2339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Love your pets guys,i found this on FB.
and my heart is literally bleeding looking at the poor soul.
Oh my God, that has brought tears to my eyes. How can people be so cruel :( On the same note, I hate those people who just get a dog in spur of the moment and then after few days/months they'll leave them in the streets. If one can't take care of their pets then they have no right to get one and then leave their pets to rot in streets. I seriously hate these type of people. Streets of Bangalore is full of such homeless pets. On the other hand I know of some people who takes so much care of their pets that you feel there is still hope in this world.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 17:55   #2340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Oh my God, that has brought tears to my eyes. How can people be so cruel :( On the same note, I hate those people who just get a dog in spur of the moment and then after few days/months they'll leave them in the streets. If one can't take care of their pets then they have no right to get one and then leave their pets to rot in streets. I seriously hate these type of people. Streets of Bangalore is full of such homeless pets. On the other hand I know of some people who takes so much care of their pets that you feel there is still hope in this world.
+1. My neighbours bought a lab a year back. There kids must have developed a liking for a puppy as if its an icecream and the parents got them one. 4 months down the line the dog has considerably grown in size and the kids ofcourse have lost interest and hardly go near him. Now all day long these Morons have got the dog tied out on there front gate with the guard. The poor chap has absolutely no idea what wrong he has done. He keeps barking the whole day and all he gets in return is some whacks from the owners when they get frustrated as to why he is barking. No water given for sometimes 10-12 hours at a stretch. The walks for the dog mean to take him out of there gate and stand with him there till he is forced to relieve himself right there and get it back into the house and chain him. Many a times even that does not happen and he relieves himself at the spot where he is chained which is ofcourse again followed by some whacks. How I wish I knew maineka gandhi and could put these fellows behind bars.

Most Viewed