Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 20:40   #2341
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1. My neighbours bought a lab a year back. There kids must have developed a liking for a puppy as if its an icecream and the parents got them one. 4 months down the line the dog has considerably grown in size and the kids ofcourse have lost interest and hardly go near him. Now all day long these Morons have got the dog tied out on there front gate with the guard. The poor chap has absolutely no idea what wrong he has done. He keeps barking the whole day and all he gets in return is some whacks from the owners when they get frustrated as to why he is barking. No water given for sometimes 10-12 hours at a stretch. The walks for the dog mean to take him out of there gate and stand with him there till he is forced to relieve himself right there and get it back into the house and chain him. Many a times even that does not happen and he relieves himself at the spot where he is chained which is ofcourse again followed by some whacks. How I wish I knew maineka gandhi and could put these fellows behind bars.
Just read your location to check if you live near my house. A family had got a lab puppy here and they have kept the baby tied outside the house from day 1. I don't know why they get him. Now a days it is raining heavily in Pune and the puppy sometimes cries coz of cold. Poor baby.. If I knew someone in Pune who could adopt him, could convince the owner to let him go.

I had posted this pic on my FB wall a couple of months back and received around 48 comments. The pic is indeed very very touching.

Last edited by Googleman : 15th October 2011 at 20:42.
Old 15th October 2011, 20:46   #2342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Just read your location to check if you live near my house. A family had got a lab puppy here and they have kept the baby tied outside the house from day 1. I don't know why they get him. Now a days it is raining heavily in Pune and the puppy sometimes cries coz of cold. Poor baby.. If I knew someone in Pune who could adopt him, could convince the owner to let him go.
The one I am talking about has already been through the torture for 6-8 months now. He is around a year and some months old now. My mom spends all her extra time in the balcony playing with this poor lab and he tries to jump seeing her. She even threw down a dog biscuit but I told her not to do it since wasn't sure how the weird family will react if they saw. I am ready to even take this dog into our home man although our house is way too small for 2 labs. But atleast he will be someplace where he is treated like family.
Old 15th October 2011, 21:31   #2343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The one I am talking about has already been through the torture for 6-8 months now. He is around a year and some months old now. My mom spends all her extra time in the balcony playing with this poor lab and he tries to jump seeing her. She even threw down a dog biscuit but I told her not to do it since wasn't sure how the weird family will react if they saw. I am ready to even take this dog into our home man although our house is way too small for 2 labs. But atleast he will be someplace where he is treated like family.
Quote:

I had posted this pic on my FB wall a couple of months back and received around 48 comments. The pic is indeed very very touching.
Cant you guys complain to the local PETA? Take a couple of pictures for proof and documentation and present that to the local animal activist? Much better if this person is a woman.

Trust me, the real activists get so worked up by stuff like this, they'll make sure these pets get a better home. You dont even need to get involved after reporting the issue. Remain anonymous if thats your choice.

Call the local PETA office now! Every minute you waste, that poor soul is suffering!
Old 16th October 2011, 00:13   #2344
Senior - BHPian

I was so interested for a pet dog and had one long back. One fine day it was lost and I gave up keeping pets since 1992. Now I enjoy the un invited pet a cat which try to steel our kitchen. Its a nice cute one. One day I will snap and post.
Old 17th October 2011, 23:45   #2345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Cant you guys complain to the local PETA? Take a couple of pictures for proof and documentation and present that to the local animal activist? Much better if this person is a woman.

Trust me, the real activists get so worked up by stuff like this, they'll make sure these pets get a better home. You dont even need to get involved after reporting the issue. Remain anonymous if thats your choice.

Call the local PETA office now! Every minute you waste, that poor soul is suffering!
To take this a step further, this is something I came across on FB
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-306485_10150859387435106_540215105_21184397_1286659709_n.jpg  

Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 22:26   #2346
Distinguished - BHPian

The most dreaded day of the year for my dog is coming up soon. yes our festival of lights which we turned into a festival of noise and pollution is one day in the year when I really feel helpless for my dog. He has already started getting worked up at the occasional cracker that goes off.

Any tips on how to make the day a little less taxing on our pets? I generally try to stay with him as much as possible, surely not lock him alone in a room, ensure he has his regular toys to keep him occupied. From last couple of years I have also tried to play some music during the whole evening to drown out the cracker sounds. Also ensure that your pet has enough water to drink.

Please feel free to add your tips.

Cheers!
Old 19th October 2011, 22:34   #2347
BHPian

^^ I was going to ask the same. Can we give some mild sedatives like Phenergan that are given to children so that they sleep off the evening. Can anybody confirm with a Vet if this OK?
Old 19th October 2011, 22:43   #2348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Yes, Please please call PETA/SPCA today. I don;t know why you waited so long passively watching the pup suffer. Shaking ones head in sadness will not change the world.

--Ragul
Old 20th October 2011, 10:17   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most dreaded day of the year for my dog is coming up soon. yes our festival of lights which we turned into a festival of noise and pollution is one day in the year when I really feel helpless for my dog. He has already started getting worked up at the occasional cracker that goes off.

Any tips on how to make the day a little less taxing on our pets? I generally try to stay with him as much as possible, surely not lock him alone in a room, ensure he has his regular toys to keep him occupied. From last couple of years I have also tried to play some music during the whole evening to drown out the cracker sounds. Also ensure that your pet has enough water to drink.

Cheers!
Well you can keep the pet in a relatively sound insulated room, with toys and other attractions. Otherwise there is nothing you can do. You can try putting cotton wool in the ears, but most probably the pet will take it out.

One good thing about my Lab is that he enjoys Diwali, and not affected much by the noise (I think he may have genes of a dog bred for modern Battle field!).
Old 20th October 2011, 15:38   #2350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

its an irony people who dont like dogs still end up buying them. i have seen a pug tied to a coconut tree on the side of t he highway in a house that does not have a boundary wall, the whole day its tied there. i have 2 dogs and they are quite a handfull but i am proud to day that i dont even have a leash for them my younger dog was never tied to a leash and she does not know how to react to it. they run free around the house and sleep with us inside the house, some times on and sometimes underneath the bed.

Pramod
Old 20th October 2011, 15:50   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Now dont ask me why he isnt wearing helmet!!

(spotted near my home)
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-doggy.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 20th October 2011 at 15:56.
Old 20th October 2011, 18:17   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
Now dont ask me why he isnt wearing helmet!!

(spotted near my home)
Aww he's so cute!

Now that we're done with that, what the heck was he thinking! That's dangerous; what if the puppy jumps!
Old 20th October 2011, 18:42   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
That's dangerous; what if the puppy jumps!
Yes!

But he loves bike ride! Leave him on the seat, he will walk towards the tank and sit firmly by holding the tank.
Old 20th October 2011, 19:20   #2354
Distinguished - BHPian

Yea even my old dog used to love scooter rides. She just got trained herself. Used to sit on the front near the break and never move even if you stop on a signal or something.

Hey guys I am planning to keep a guniea pig. One of my friends actually has 2 and they mated. What are the precautions one should take while keeping them? Do they need a lot of maintenance? Most importantly will my Lab have any problem with it? And do I get one or a pair to keep them occupied and not get lonely? And do they need vaccinations and stuff like dogs or not? Sorry for the large number of questions.
Old 20th October 2011, 20:17   #2355
BHPian

Quote:
No tips, other than keeping your dog with you all the time. I have the same problem with my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
^^ Can we give some mild sedatives like Phenergan that are given to children so that they sleep off the evening.
Those would be really nasty kids with parents wanting them to sleep. I remember drinking phenergan when a kid, thinking it to be something good and ended up writing ulta alphabets at night when dad used to sit and teach us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
(I think he may have genes of a dog bred for modern Battle field!).
Yeah. I had 3 dogs earlier, and 2 were not scared of crackers. They used to even run to fetch the cracker thrown, like I saw in a south Indian movie. I stopped celebrating Dipawali with crackers for my pets, saves lots of money too
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks