Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 05:07   #2401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

Seems she is also doing a lot of social service not only for animals but also for humans. She is also partnering with some animal welfare trusts.
Will make a trip to see her when I'm in Chennai next.
Old 12th November 2011, 10:44   #2402
BHPian

@Esteem_lover: wasn't me. I drop up towards Nasik via Hubli/Belgaum. Pondy perhaps next year once they have fixed BLR-PONDY roads. I hear a 100km stretch is really bad.

@ Khoj - pet friendly hotels were very hard to come by. www.Petvacations.in doesnt index the places I was travelling - I ended up staying with a friend. I suspect we might not have any hotels which are pet friendly - perhaps only resorts.
anandbangalore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:29   #2403
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

heres a couple of pics

the single chap is pup we found on the road side in the early morning a couple of weeks back. subsequently looked after for a while at home and then given to CUPA. poor little chap had his foreleg broken but it has healed and formed a callus. leaves him with a permanent limp because one foot is longer than the other. very sad.

today coming back from work I found 6 little chaps playing on the road. I picked them up and have kept them at home. Their mother came up to me wagged her tail and I played with her a bit - poor thing, with barely enough food herself she would not have been able to continue feeding these little chaps. They must be atleast 4 weeks old and appear properly weaned since they are happily drinking regular milk.
They will be sent off to CUPA in a day or two.

poor things - I wish we could have a proper animal policy implemented properly here in India. Its very sad to see so many abandoned animals on the streets.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-12112011570.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-23112011587.jpg  

shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:02   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
heres a couple of pics
Very big heart

Please post pictures of your dogs too, longing to see them from long
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:21   #2405
BHPian

Hats off to you Shankar!!

We recently adopted one very sick stray pup and after a few month's treatment she is fine now.

She is very very naughty. Has to be kept tied in the night else not a single pair of shoe will remain intact in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000688.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000681.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000689.jpg  

Last edited by archat68 : 23rd November 2011 at 23:33.
archat68 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 05:55   #2406
BANNED

archat- thanks. she has really nice eyes - poor thing.
I dont like the way that animals are treated in general here - in the cities that is. the rural people look after them a lot more. and the poor people even in cities share what little food they have with strays and stuff. but its the upper levels of society that dont seem to care one bit. that is a sign of a deteriorating social value system.

googleman - thanks will post some pics of my 4 leggeds soon.

if some more of us were to take action every time we see puppies or other abandoned animals and have them sent to CUPA, at least those animals will have a chance in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Hats off to you Shankar!!

We recently adopted one very sick stray pup and after a few month's treatment she is fine now.

She is very very naughty. Has to be kept tied in the night else not a single pair of shoe will remain intact in the morning.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:41   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
if some more of us were to take action every time we see puppies or other abandoned animals and have them sent to CUPA, at least those animals will have a chance in life.
Shankar, wonderful job you are doing. How much will CUPA also take ? What do they do to these dogs ? Each of those wonderful puppies need a loving home, I hope they find.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:27   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Shankar, wonderful job you are doing. How much will CUPA also take ? What do they do to these dogs ? Each of those wonderful puppies need a loving home, I hope they find.
I have visited Cupa and the dogs out there need no separate home. They stay in groups, play and have fun. This was around 3 years back, don't know what is the state now.

CUPA is in a very quiet and nice location though, I felt good after seeing them taking care of dogs who were physically challenged too.

Probably they would leave these dogs somewhere outside city limits, if the number increases. That is not a bad idea too.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:12   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I have visited Cupa and the dogs out there need no separate home. They stay in groups, play and have fun. This was around 3 years back, don't know what is the state now.

CUPA is in a very quiet and nice location though, I felt good after seeing them taking care of dogs who were physically challenged too.

Probably they would leave these dogs somewhere outside city limits, if the number increases. That is not a bad idea too.
sorry to say, but the fact is that they will put it to sleep if no one adopts the puppy for long time. even they do the same thing for the stray dogs which has a bad temper.
i have seen corpses in gunny bag carried in BBMP dustbin collecting vans in CUPA as well as SPCA. i am really sorry if i have made you people sad.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:15   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Guys does anyone here know a vet who treats fishes ?

My fish is terribly sick and i need a vet who can visit my place and check the fish, as its impossible to carry it to the clinic(more than 1ft in length, plus aggressive chap will puncture the plastic cover for sure)

I've heard that there are some doctors in the fisheries department too, does anyone know such person in bangalore ?
Old 24th November 2011, 13:43   #2411
Senior - BHPian

What fish is it and what is the problem ?
Old 24th November 2011, 15:53   #2412
BANNED

CUPA does first class service in looking after abandoned strays and physically challenged ones too. I know one of their trustees very well personally and I contribute regularly via donations.
I have personally seen the quality of work and care that they take. 6 months ago I spotted a hurt bull calf - I called them and within 45 minutes time an ambulance came there, took the calf away to care for. 20 days later I got a call back saying the calf was well recovered and what should they do? They maintain a "go shala" - an animal shelter on the Mysore road so the calf was sent there at my request.
I went to the CUPA main in the Vet College 2 weeks ago - all the animals there are peaceful, happy and live peacably together in that safe environment.
There were various creatures - donkeys, colts, cows, dogs, cats etc - all being looked after and treated well.
Since medical treatment isnt exactly cheap, they can do with some donations - they function purely on the goodwill of citizens and their financial offerings.
To my knowledge they dont destroy puppies if they are not adopted within a time frame. And the ones I ve sent them are eminently adoptable - in fact this morning the ambulance came to my house and took them away to the shelter.
I endorse CUPA completely - based on personal experience. In fact, my Labrador who is 7 years old now, came to me from there, 6 years and a half ago. She was abandoned on the road!
Last week I saw a small pug puppy with a skin problem - his owner had just dumped him on the street. All he needed was a bit of patience and care to treat his skin trouble. He is a nice little dog and is healing perfectly now!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 21:18   #2413
BHPian

It makes me angry when someone dumps a pet in the street when faced with a problem. Pet are not toys - they can't be just thrown away when something goes wrong with them. People should think a thousand times before adopting a pet.

In my way to office there is an expressway (Rajarhat expressway in Kolkata) which is surrounded by vast green fields. There is no fencing around the border of the street. There are some villages nearby. These people keep cows and sell the milk. I everyday see cows and calves loitering in the street where vehicles are passing at a speed of 100-120 KMPH. I see many dead calves and stray dogs on the road every now and then as a result of accidents. Both human and animal life is at danger here. All of the cows are domesticated, people bring them to the nearby field so that they can graze. But they can't take a little bit of pain and tether them in the field !! I have seen local people gathering and extorting the car owner for money or the dead or injured cows. They seemed to be more concerned about the money instead of the injured animals :( .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Guys does anyone here know a vet who treats fishes ?

My fish is terribly sick and i need a vet who can visit my place and check the fish, as its impossible to carry it to the clinic(more than 1ft in length, plus aggressive chap will puncture the plastic cover for sure)

I've heard that there are some doctors in the fisheries department too, does anyone know such person in bangalore ?
Bangalore has a very good aquarist community. Join indianaquariumhobbyist.com http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/co...hp?name=Forums and you will find help there. There are many members from Bangalore.

See this sub forum:
http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/co...=viewforum&f=6

Last edited by archat68 : 24th November 2011 at 21:24.
Old 24th November 2011, 21:38   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
People should think a thousand times before adopting a pet.
Not just adopting, people pay big money to buy a pet to satisfy a toddler's temporary feeling, they too think of it as a toy which can be thrown away if not required. e.g. shankar's note about the pug with skin problems. My mongrel that I have developed serious skin problems and it took 8-10 visits to the vet hospital to rectify that, that is all it takes. If people who pay big money cannot do that, they should not think of a pet at all, their kid is their pet.
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 21:59   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Not just adopting, people pay big money to buy a pet to satisfy a toddler's temporary feeling, they too think of it as a toy which can be thrown away if not required. e.g. shankar's note about the pug with skin problems. My mongrel that I have developed serious skin problems and it took 8-10 visits to the vet hospital to rectify that, that is all it takes. If people who pay big money cannot do that, they should not think of a pet at all, their kid is their pet.
+1
Some people think pets as toys. They buy them to satisfy their whims and fancies. After some time their interest gets diverted to something else or they find that maintaining a pet too problematic and they just throw them on the street.

The stray pup that we adopted was left in front of our door. She was kind of paralyzed, couldn't stand on her legs, even when eating she couldn't keep her head straight. We never hoped she'll survive. She couldn't even move to defecate. For a month my first job in the morning was to clean her poop and clean her with dettol water. We started treating her. Slowly she recovered and now she is what you see .

Everyday when I return home from office and she can identify my car's sound/ horn from 100 metre and starts barking and starts waiting in front the gate. She welcomes me in such a way that makes me forget my tiredness after the days work.

Last edited by archat68 : 24th November 2011 at 22:00.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks