Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 02:07   #2461
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Meat is natural food for dogs (and cats). Vegetarian diet is unnatural. It is not like us: we have a choice, and can look after our health whichever diet we select. I do not believe that a veg diet should ever be put on these animals. I do not believe that eating meat makes them aggressive.

Yes, this is very much my personal opinion: I know others hold other views. I hold it pretty strongly though!

Googleman, I really hope that you and your dog find a solution to this bad situation. I know that a neutered tomcat is less likely to roam and fight, but I do not have much dog experience.

I think the meat is bringing too much energy into him due to which he wants to vent it, but the question is.. why on other animals? that too so brutally. I would understand if he went there to dominate the stray and to show his presence, since he is a domination dog, but again, this attack was to kill, not only to show dominance.

I called a Doc and got him anti-rabies injected today and fixed an appointment to get him neutered too.

While at night another thing surprised me. Till now he never did this. While I was walking him, a "society security" guard was standing on the opposite side of the road and watching Zozo. On seeing him, Zozo started crawling towards him in an intention to attack suddenly, and since he was on leash, he got locked at a point of time. This time he started roaring at the guys as if he wants to just scare him. THIS - He had never done to any human (Roaring).
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:32   #2462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

-----snipped------

Googleman, I really hope that you and your dog find a solution to this bad situation. I know that a neutered tomcat is less likely to roam and fight, but I do not have much dog experience.
I do.
My dog, tintin, was neutered cos he there were 3 female dogs in the house.
on mother, and 2 daughters through him.
apart from that he had fathered about 5 litters.
Thats when he was neutered, and there was a sea of change in his behaviour.
he was a barker, AND a biter.
became much more docile post the op.
I dont condone it unless situation becomes completely out of hand.
In his case it had, he was 200%aggressive, plus the females have some reproductive problems, being very small dogs.
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:15   #2463
BHPian

ok, let me assume he is doing this bcoz he is in heat, but why the killing thing?

Do dogs look to kill any animal while they are in heat?
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:21   #2464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
ok, let me assume he is doing this bcoz he is in heat, but why the killing thing?

Do dogs look to kill any animal while they are in heat?
males dont go into heat.
they react to females in heat.
Do you have another dog around, at home or a neighbour?
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:05   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
males dont go into heat.
they react to females in heat.
Do you have another dog around, at home or a neighbour?
I had 2 GSD and 1 Mastiff but now only 1 GSD is with me here.

There are a lot of dogs in my society but Zozo is not friendly to anyone. Last thing I want him to attack someone else's dog, so I keep zozo away from other dogs as I know his first action will be "attack".
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:41   #2466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I had 2 GSD and 1 Mastiff but now only 1 GSD is with me here.

There are a lot of dogs in my society but Zozo is not friendly to anyone. Last thing I want him to attack someone else's dog, so I keep zozo away from other dogs as I know his first action will be "attack".

Sorry, my bad.

do you have female dogs around?
She doesnt have to be around 24/7.
Once the male gets scent even once in some time from somewhere, the aggression sort of keeps going for a while.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:50   #2467
BHPian

No stray in the radius of 1KM of my house. It is a row-house society, so I guess they do not let strays enter.
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:19   #2468
BANNED

Please have him tested for Rabies ...

--Ragul
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:05   #2469
Senior - BHPian

Please consult a Vet or better still a dog psychiatrist. Sudden violent behavior is quite dangerous as the dog may attack you brutally one day.

I do not think diet has much to do with it. I regularly feed raw meat to my Lab, with no side effects. But you can stop the beef keema just to verify.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:27   #2470
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this neutering business is tough for us guys to get to grips with: the idea of the snip-snip horrifies us. It was that sympathetic "Ouch! No way!" that made me not get my Tomcats neutered, for a long time. I muttered all sorts of stuff in justification, but in the end, the increasing pressure from my more-aware friends, and repeated lectures on how many unwanted stray kittens I might be responsible for made me change my thinking.

I know that unwanted strays is nothing to do with the problem Googleman is having, but I'm backing testosterone not meat as the cause of the violence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
... Thats when he was neutered, and there was a sea of change in his behaviour.
he was a barker, AND a biter.
became much more docile post the op.
I dont condone it unless situation becomes completely out of hand.
Quite contrary to my anthropomorphic projection of three decades ago, I do condone it. In fact, if a dog is not being kept for mating, I would say the question is why should it not be neutered?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd December 2011 at 14:29.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:34   #2471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think this neutering business is tough for us guys to get to grips with: the idea of the snip-snip horrifies us. It was that sympathetic "Ouch! No way!" that made me not get my Tomcats neutered, for a long time. I muttered all sorts of stuff in justification, but in the end, the increasing pressure from my more-aware friends, and repeated lectures on how many unwanted stray kittens I might be responsible for made me change my thinking.

I know that unwanted strays is nothing to do with the problem Googleman is having, but I'm backing testosterone not meat as the cause of the violence.
Quite contrary to my anthropomorphic projection of three decades ago, I do condone it. In fact, if a dog is not being kept for mating, I would say the question is why should it not be neutered?

I dont condone it precisely because of the reasons you didn't.
I did get it done , again, precisely because of the reasons you mentioned, unwanted litters.

still dont condone it, but high degrees of aggression, or preventing litters are usually a compelling argument.
All i can do is say sorry to my "best friend".
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:50   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Please have him tested for Rabies ...

--Ragul
How is aggression related to Rabies?
No chance or RABIES or any other disease, I get him vaccinated ON TIME always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Please consult a Vet or better still a dog psychiatrist. Sudden violent behavior is quite dangerous as the dog may attack you brutally one day.

I do not think diet has much to do with it. I regularly feed raw meat to my Lab, with no side effects. But you can stop the beef keema just to verify.
Yeah I had called a Vet home last night itself, he said we need to know what is the reason he is behaving this way and then find a cure for it.

Today I took him to the same spot again where he attacked that dog again, and allowed the other dogs to bark on him while I was giving him assurance that I am there and he need not worry
He behaved quite better today. He actually "SAT" down and allowed them to bark

Only thing I could not overcome today is drawing his attention towards me. His eyes were on the other dogs all the time.

Stayed there for around 45 minutes until the other strays got tired and bored barking on him. When things settled down, I left. Will follow the same strategy for more days to get him find a positive chemistry around other alarming objects and draw his attention towards me in tuff situations

Last edited by Googleman : 23rd December 2011 at 18:51.
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:36   #2473
BHPian

Sorry for the bad quality, tried to capture the scene here

Old 23rd December 2011, 20:08   #2474
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, my cat needs a good trim every 2 weeks. Brushing her is useless. Theres cat hair everywhere and she is piling out fur balls. Trimming her down using a philips hair trimmer did the trick until the hair trimmer gave way. Need something specifically for cat hair. Where can i get this in bangalore?

She is not a persian.

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd December 2011 at 20:12.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:01   #2475
Distinguished - BHPian

Friend's looking for a male lab pup in BLR. Any leads, pls let me know.

thanks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks