Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 11:41   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Anybody having a reef tank in here? Saw some of the best fascinating ones in here:

Third Quarter of 2011. Alexandre George (agcneves) - Brazil - zeovit.com

I have a freshwater setup Will share my photos this weekend.

MODS: Please remove the external forum link if not allowed. The images are copyrighted, hence not pasting it in here.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:45   #2477
Distinguished - BHPian

I never kept fish or had an aquarium, but there was a very good aquarium shop near my house in London. They had tanks like this, that they had maintained for years. I used to go to the shop just to gaze
Old 5th January 2012, 14:54   #2478
BHPian

Folks,
Nice to see so many pet lovers in this forum.
i have a male pug and he is nearing 1.5 yrs of age.
I am confused on this issue of getting him mate etc..
Pls advice.

cheers
Old 5th January 2012, 15:10   #2479
Senior - BHPian

My neighbor has a 10 month old St. Bernard and she wants to give her (its a girl doggie ) away as they stay in an apartment and the dog has not much room to run about... basically the dog is too big for the house.

I would have loved to take the dog and even considered this seriously but after our last one, it was way too painful, so we decided not to get another.

If anyone is interested in giving this one a wonderful home, loving care and a family, please get in touch with me. She (the dog) is a darling and very docile. Loves kids and is very well behaved.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:32   #2480
BHPian

can you tell how much she costs , my brother was looking for St. Bernard few months back. let me check with him and give a try if he is still in the same mood.

Last edited by BulZire : 5th January 2012 at 16:44.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:53   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Anybody having a reef tank in here? Saw some of the best fascinating ones in here:
I have a freshwater setup Will share my photos this weekend.
I'm in process of building a reef tank but its highly time & money consuming. The tank, the lights, the heaters & the right amount of salinity is big question mark. Even the surrounding temperature has to be regulated. Thus maintaining them in malls, airport etc is rather easy.
It'll take another year or so before mine is worth putting on board. With restrictions on certain type of corals & due to the costs & time involved many aquarists lose interest after some time.

Do visit here:
indianaquariumhobbyist.com » Everything for the Indian Aquarium Hobbyist

I'm active there too.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 16:59   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I'm in process of building a reef tank but its highly time & money consuming. The tank, the lights, the heaters & the right amount of salinity is big question mark. Even the surrounding temperature has to be regulated. Thus maintaining them in malls, airport etc is rather easy.
It'll take another year or so before mine is worth putting on board. With restrictions on certain type of corals & due to the costs & time involved many aquarists lose interest after some time.

Do visit here:
indianaquariumhobbyist.com » Everything for the Indian Aquarium Hobbyist

I'm active there too.

Raab Rakha.
Thanks for the link I think you should paste the pic of current setup here and the progress you are doing. It will help people in here who are planning to do the same. I know maintaining a reef tank will be a hefty task, but the end result is very beautiful! Do post your expenditures so that we can have a rough idea of how deep it will dig in our pockets. Also, where do you plan to get the corals from? Is it available locally and is there any legal issues in buying it?

Again, please do post your current setup.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 5th January 2012 at 17:01.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:35   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
can you tell how much she costs , my brother was looking for St. Bernard few months back. let me check with him and give a try if he is still in the same mood.
Apologies if i wasn't clear. She wants to give the dog away. For free. Only requirement is that the dog has to get a good loving home where she will be treated well and not chained for hours and left out in the rain and sun.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 11:10   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Thanks for the link I think you should paste the pic of current setup here and the progress you are doing. It will help people in here who are planning to do the same. I know maintaining a reef tank will be a hefty task, but the end result is very beautiful! Do post your expenditures so that we can have a rough idea of how deep it will dig in our pockets. Also, where do you plan to get the corals from? Is it available locally and is there any legal issues in buying it?
Again, please do post your current setup.
The tank is in its initial stage itself. The tank measures LxBxH (5.5' x 33" x 33"). 10mm Saint Gobain tint glass is used. We have just concluded tank weight test when full of water & marine life. The strengthened metal stand is under construction now. Yday I bought an industrial size SUMP for this tank.
OT Due a car resto also on hand the progress on this project is at rather snail speed.
Some exotic species of corals are available at LFS.
I cannot recall any legal hassles for corals available in market.

I'll post pics as soonest some REAL work has started. As of now nothing is much is different from FW tank & the empty tank doesn't make any photoworthy subject.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 6th January 2012 at 11:13.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:14   #2485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Apologies if i wasn't clear. She wants to give the dog away. For free. Only requirement is that the dog has to get a good loving home where she will be treated well and not chained for hours and left out in the rain and sun.
I would love to take her but have no idea about this breed. I have seen few in Bangalore. Will St.Bernard find it difficulty in adjusting with Kerala coastal weather conditions (temp around 35 in summer with humidity)?

If yes I will take her and she will have a company of an idiot who drinks 1-1.5 litre milk everyday.

Last edited by Latheesh : 6th January 2012 at 11:15.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:36   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I would love to take her but have no idea about this breed. I have seen few in Bangalore. Will St.Bernard find it difficulty in adjusting with Kerala coastal weather conditions (temp around 35 in summer with humidity)?
St. Bernards are cold climate doggies; Kerala climate may be bit unforgiving. here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bernard_(dog).

Quote:
If yes I will take her and she will have a company of an idiot who drinks 1-1.5 litre milk everyday.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:54   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

some pointers for you.
1. If anything you have in your place and it has a surface, any surface, the hair will stick to it.its a heavy shedding dog.
2. Needs good long walks.you both can enjoy your milk on those...
3. temperature wise it oughta be fine, but when it comes to it, they need a full day airconned room.

Thats just about all that is negative.
If you have had dogs before, I think youll be okay with those points.

They are brilliant, bright dogs.
Very loyal, very loving.
Like to be with people.Youll mostly find him under your chair, or feet.
Not the yappy kind, and almost always their size is the deterrant if that is wht you look for.
But when they bark, they BOOM!

Dont chain it!!
true for all dogs, but especially so for a St bernard.
That perpetual sad look attains a new degree of guilt-giving when it wants too!!

Add about 1.5 people to your monthly food budget too!

Last edited by mayankk : 6th January 2012 at 12:22.
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 12:18   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
St. Bernards are cold climate doggies; Kerala climate may be bit unforgiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
some pointers for you.
1. If anything you in your place it has a surface, any surface, the hair will stick to it.its a heavy shedding dog.
2. Needs good long walks.you both can enjoy your milk on those...
3. temperature wise it oughta be fine, but when it comes to it, they need a full day airconned room.
4. Add about 1.5 people to your monthly food budget too!
1) Once we had 3 dogs and 7 white cats at home

2) Milk addict is not me. There is another one (sometimes we call him Jimmy) rescued from street. He starts a day (5AM) in the morning with 1 glass of milk. Any delay in giving, he will not touch it. He is hyper (x1000) active and run around our house for no reason for continious 10-15 min. He does not obey anyone other than our mom, literally shiver in front of her.

And he loves to take bath, makes lot of noise if he wants a nice bath.

3. Problem, we do not have A/C at home

4. We may starve but never our dogs

Last edited by Latheesh : 6th January 2012 at 12:31.
Old 6th January 2012, 14:31   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Nice to see so many pet lovers in this forum.
i have a male pug and he is nearing 1.5 yrs of age.
I am confused on this issue of getting him mate etc..
Pls advice.

cheers
Pls advice folks.

cheers
Old 6th January 2012, 15:30   #2490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR

Pls advice folks.

cheers
What is the issue exactly?
If you can find him a willing mate. ......

Most Viewed