Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 18:55   #2656
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think he meant the lying on the floor part.
Feel we should let it go as a topic of discussion now, since sjd has already acknowledged.
Plus, I don't think he would have posted that picture as a repeated method used.

Sjd, why don't you report your post so that the one pic can be deleted, since on this thread you'll keep getting admonished anytime someone sees it.

But do keep in mind that pets are a privilege granted without distinction, and all of us here appreciate that.
THAT picture really stung.
Do take care of G.
Thanks Mayankk. You do really know to frame your words and thanks for the advice. I tried to report the picture as soon as I saw so many negative posts but could not figure out how; care to help me out (quite a newbie still).
Old 17th April 2012, 18:59   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
And to those BHPians who have posted that maybe I do not deserve a pet, my response is that - no one is a master by birth of the art of taming and taking care of your pet. It is only with experience that you learn just as same as your pet gets familiarized to you and his new surroundings.
So get info before hand,you wouldn't do that to your child and say this is my first child so I can tie him or her up,so once I master the art of bring up a child I won't do that again.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:04   #2658
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I seem to have been misquoted on this one. Prior to using the phrase "would have let him out of sympathy" I told that he wanted to lie on the cold floor. By using the bolded words, I simply meant that I would have let him lie on the cold floor (which would have been detrimental for his health than) as I wanted to let him do whatever he wanted (in this case, lying on the floor) because of his poor health but this was strictly advised against by the vet. Gos, what did you think - that I wanted to let him out of his life ????

Seems some members like to jump to conclusions pretty quick. Put youself in my shoes, and you would shudder at the heartless image you are trying to depict out of me !!!
Listen pal, you need to understand that I am not trying to depict you in a certain way or tarnish your image on the forum. Why would I do that? I don't even know you enough.

The way you conveyed it, "I wanted to let him out of sympathy because he was suffering from a severe infection", I don't think I was in the wrong in thinking what I did, many others would have thought the same.

And you did shoot yourself on your own foot by posting that cruel picture, that did not help your cause at all. Anyone who would have seen that would immediately start hating you as a person.

Anyways, thanks for taking time out to clarify things. It helped a lot. Please take good care of your pet. Peace.

Last edited by Oxy : 17th April 2012 at 19:06.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:14   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Anyways, thanks for taking time out to clarify things. It helped a lot. Please take good care of your pet. Peace.
Response appreciated as misunderstanding is settled now. And yeah, I shouldn't have posted this pic but made the mistake in my over-zealousness and immaturity in sharing some of Glu's pics. Glu is in top health now and we are taking good care of him. Peace.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:31   #2660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Mohit, I have realized the mistake I did and is a much experienced guy now regarding pets; there was an apology in the subscript of the image itself as well as in this reply showing my sincerity. Also, previously I have went through those 10 points and I had found them extremely educating and helpful. Thanks again for your wise words of advice.
Hey Its good to hear that you realise your mistake. Please Please go through articles on net, on this thread and elsewhere on how to deal with a pet. Your dog will start having teething issues in the coming months. So read about how to deal with the same now. He will chew away everything in the house. So don't just tie him or put a muzzle the whole day. Rather make him learn to chew a toy or something that you can buy. Never ever tie your dog again in that way. Its brutal and heartless. Labradors are the most friendly dogs. You should start training him. Use a folded newspaper to gently slap him on the back whenever he does something naughty which you don't like. At the same time give him a small treat whenever he does it right. Act stern but be gentle and patient at the same time. Also if he barks excessively during the night then try to find a reason. May be he needed water ( in case you didn't keep a bowl or didn't fill it), may be hungry or may be just lonely and scared of the dark incase you make him sleep in a separate part of the house. I can go on and on like this but basically do try to read and ask other people who have pets on how to deal with them. Every dog and its owner goes through these phases.

Once again please do not chain him up, beat him or tie him even with a muzzle.

Last edited by drmohitg : 17th April 2012 at 20:32.
Old 18th April 2012, 18:38   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Normally a dog will bark incessantly only when there is a serious problem. In your case the pup was trying to convey some thing - uncomfortable, stomach ache etc.

If you keep a pet for long, you tend to become part psychiatrist part expert in non-verbal communication because you do not understand the "Bark" and the pet initially at least does not understand our language. The last bit is for a few months only, as my Lab understands English, Hindi and Bengali (at least what is applicable to him).

In case your pup starts barking again at odd hours, please take him in your arms and try to sooth him as you would a baby. Works all the time. Unless there is a serious pain, in which case you can try to divert the mind and take him to a Vet ASAP.

Please train him for the following
1. Relieving himself. He should do it either at a fixed spot or outside
2. Wait for the command before eating
3. Sit, Wait etc.

Most of the training schedules and tips for first time owners are there on the net in plenty. Or else there are certified dog trainers available practically every where in India.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:45   #2662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you keep a pet for long, you tend to become part psychiatrist part expert in non-verbal communication because you do not understand the "Bark" and the pet initially at least does not understand our language. The last bit is for a few months only, as my Lab understands English, Hindi and Bengali (at least what is applicable to him).
+1. Its so funny. Anyone who doesn't own a pet would never believe that one can easily communicate with there pet and vice versa. My dog understands everything that concerns him. For instance if we tell him that bhaiya/didi/mummy/daddy has come he will first try to concentrate on the sound of our cars and not finding one ( since the mentioned person hasn't really come) , he would straight away go in the balcony to check out for himself followed by the respective room and then the door. Its extremely funny and intelligent.
Old 23rd April 2012, 00:19   #2663
BHPian

My family and I love pets; we've had cats and dogs in the past. But right now, we dont have any because we travel frequently and also because our house owner does not like them

But we make it up for a pet's absence by spending time with our neighbors' dogs, and also some strays in our neighborhood.

Here's pictures of some of them:

The security guard at Alliance Francaise B lore (where I used to attend French classes) got this fellow; he was all grown up in a few months.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-afb.jpg

This is Foxy; he is a stray and pays a visit to our house quite often. Unlike other dogs, he doesn't leave immediately after we feed him. He stays for some time as if its an obligation

Team-BHPians and their Pets-foxy.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-foxy1.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-foxy2.jpg

This is Roxy, my cousin's dog.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-roxy.jpg

This guy is Hippo, a Neapolitan Mastiff.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-hippo.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-hippo1.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-hippo2.jpg

And finally, this baby is the latest member in our neighborhood. She's a lab and her name is Soni; got her home last evening and clicked this pic.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-soni.jpg
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:37   #2664
BHPian

Finally got my act together last evening and cleaned my fish tank with lots of running water. Now kept it for cycling as many folks suggested, and will introduce some fish in a weeks time. Temps are soaring here in Mumbai, hope that does not cause any issue.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:57   #2665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
My family and I love pets; we've had cats and dogs in the past. But right now, we dont have any because we travel frequently and also because our house owner does not like them

But we make it up for a pet's absence by spending time with our neighbors' dogs, and also some strays in our neighborhood.

Here's pictures of some of them:

The security guard at Alliance Francaise B lore (where I used to attend French classes) got this fellow; he was all grown up in a few months.

Attachment 919243

This guy is HILARIOUS!!!!!
"why'd you tie me??"

Awesome dogs, man!
Old 24th April 2012, 11:53   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Finally got my act together last evening and cleaned my fish tank with lots of running water. Now kept it for cycling as many folks suggested, and will introduce some fish in a weeks time. Temps are soaring here in Mumbai, hope that does not cause any issue.
as long as you are not going for any cold water specific species you will be just fine. and hope the tank is not in direct sunlight.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:46   #2667
BHPian

My vet has told me to sponge my dog once or twice a day with water and savlon as it is very hot in Kolkata and she is showing lack of appetite.

Is it OK to sponge twice a day?

Also, my dog seldom drinks water - hardly 200 - 300 ml a day. We give her food with lots of water though (in a soupy consistency) as she doesn't drink water separately. The vet has told that some dog doesn't drink water too much and not to worry. But i feel quite uncomfortable !!
Old 24th April 2012, 12:59   #2668
Team-BHP Support

for those interested in knowing, 80-90% of the time, a dog barks 'unnecessarily' because he/she has been left alone for an extended period of time. Labradors, golden retrievers, and most other gun dogs (a group they all belong to) are family oriented and love to be with family. Although temporarily leaving them alone (like when going out for a few hours or half a day occasionally) is fine, they are not meant to be solitary animals shut up in a kennel outside the house or in a verendah alone all day long or all night long. Sorry to sound harsh here, but if the owners are not willing to allow the dog to sleep along with the family inside the house, please don't buy a non-solitary breed (just because it looks cute), and face problems with barking at night. There are plenty of options for solitary breeds out there if the person is looking for a guard dog. I would say do some research on the net on the different breeds available, their characteristics and which one will fit your family's lifestyle and needs, then go ahead and buy what fits your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My vet has told me to sponge my dog once or twice a day with water and savlon as it is very hot in Kolkata and she is showing lack of appetite.

Is it OK to sponge twice a day?
nope. Not at all ok. Bathing so frequently (twice a day) will wash away all the oils which are required for keeping their coat in good condition. the dog will soon start suffering from dry, itchy, flaky skin and will lose the coat. Do not bathe more frequently than once a fortnight, unless your dog rolls around in mud every other day. Bathing with just water is okay, if done once a week or so. Avoid frequent shampooing and conditioning.

I am a little surprised with the vet's approach here. Lack of appetite has nothing to do with bathing, so bathing the dog frequently cannot fix it. I suspect some other problem which is affecting the appetite - most common causes are improper/irregular diet schedule, lack of exercise, feeding table scraps other than regular meals, or else could be suffering from stomach worms. Check if your de-worming schedule is on track.

Quote:
Also, my dog seldom drinks water - hardly 200 - 300 ml a day. We give her food with lots of water though (in a soupy consistency) as she doesn't drink water separately. The vet has told that some dog doesn't drink water too much and not to worry. But i feel quite uncomfortable !!
nothing to worry here. Dogs do not sweat like humans (they dont have sweat glands below the fur), so the fluid loss is not much even in summer. Let her drink as much as she wants. Try giving her an ice cube or two during the daytime. They love to lick those and play around for a while.

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th April 2012 at 13:19.
Old 24th April 2012, 13:15   #2669
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Karthik.

The vet told me to wet a sponge with water mixed with savlon and wipe her body. Not actually bathing. I bathe her twice a month with shampoo. Deworming is right on track.
Old 24th April 2012, 14:02   #2670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Thanks for the reply Karthik.

The vet told me to wet a sponge with water mixed with savlon and wipe her body. Not actually bathing. I bathe her twice a month with shampoo. Deworming is right on track.
Glad to know archat. You can do a sponge wipedown but it wont help the appetite problem anyway. Appetite will not improve with the bath Savlon is not really necessary, unless your dog is having some skin infection or open wound. Which breed is this by the way?

If you want to go with the sponge wipe, alternatively try visiting your pet shop and ask around for Wet Wipes. They are moistened tissues which emit a pleasant smell, sold in packs of 50. They are meant for exactly the same purpose, and will keep dog body odour at bay.

Most Viewed