Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 20:06   #2776
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

^ good choice. just wish you could have gone in for a 4footer or bigger regular tank with the money you spent on the modular 3+footer

but nonetheless anything bigger than one's current setup is a step in the right direction.

have a great time setting it up.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:18   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

At least you have the beaches in Mangalore to make them swim in. We have only sewerage drains here in Bangalore. Take pity on us
Well, I was talking about wifey's dogs who are in Bangalore (which are now my dogs too)

We had taken them to the beach in Goa last month, they had a blast!!
Old 15th June 2012, 14:16   #2778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Check this out for starters -

Dogs Good For Allergy Suffers, Hypo-allergenic dogs

One person near my house was suffering with allergies like you mention. He bought a Rottweiler first and later a Beagle also (both short-haired breeds with average shedding). He is doing fine with both of them, so I am assuming even they both should be okay for you to consider. The beagle however is not good as a guard dog. He will turn out to be a goofy clown who loves to play, play and play all day long.
Thanks for the link and response! I had a rottweiler in mind, however had a few apprehensions on bringing it up as i've read its one hard nut to crack. Is it recommended for a newbie like me ?

The last thing i need is a over-friendly dog. The house behind ours has been abandoned for over 7 years now, and attracts petty thieves who jump over the compound and try to steal from my house. Need a proper guard dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post

If its an allergy not so serious as mentioned then maybe you could try taking your dad to someone's house with dogs or invite someone with their dog to come over to your place for few hours and check if it affects your dad.
Wow! I'd never thought of that even though its happened in the past. He's spent close to a day in a relatives house who have a pomeranian, and has had no issues with it. Will have to do it more often and see the affects.
Old 15th June 2012, 17:08   #2779
Distinguished - BHPian

At the risk of being jumped on by other members,
Quote:
I had a rottweiler in mind ... ... ... Is it recommended for a newbie like me ?
Absolutely not. It is a dog expert's dog.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:43   #2780
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
At the risk of being jumped on by other members,

Absolutely not. It is a dog expert's dog.
Rottweilers need an experienced handler.
People who are unfamiliar with dogs per se may find the Rotter hard to handle.
Old 15th June 2012, 20:07   #2781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The last thing i need is a over-friendly dog. The house behind ours has been abandoned for over 7 years now, and attracts petty thieves who jump over the compound and try to steal from my house. Need a proper guard dog.
Just about all dogs are territorial. Seek a dog that is a good, friendly, family companion: almost all of them will do their bit to protect the family and its patch of ground.
Old 15th June 2012, 22:59   #2782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Please make sure that you don't chain your dog. I have seen many people buying a dog for guarding purposes and keeping them chained. Its inhuman and barbaric. I am sure you would not but still wanted to let it pass by you.

Regards

PS: BTW don't buy a labrador either. They are one of the most friendliest breeds I have seen with hardly any territorial instincts against humans.
Old 16th June 2012, 00:00   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Please make sure that you don't chain your dog. I have seen many people buying a dog for guarding purposes and keeping them chained. Its inhuman and barbaric. I am sure you would not but still wanted to let it pass by you.

Regards

PS: BTW don't buy a labrador either. They are one of the most friendliest breeds I have seen with hardly any territorial instincts against humans.
Lol. I expected this kind of a reply, based on my post. If i buy a dog, i'll never chain him up. We have a lot of unbuilt area within our compound, so he'll be free to roam around at all times.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:33   #2784
BHPian

All these discussions on the nature and types of dogs made me miss my dear Basset Hound whom I lost a couple of month back. If any of you have ever experienced the sweetness of a Basset, then you know what love and affection from a dog means. And now after his death, I have realised how much it affects you mentally and emotionally. I never knew it could be that hard. Its also very difficult because outside your family most other people don't understand why you are so very upset about the death of "just a dog". What these people don't know is that it is not just a dog for the owner...for me he became the "bada beta", the bundle of joy and the source of unflinching love and loyalty that does not ask anything in return. Such unselfish, unbending affection can be showered on you only by "just a dog". So, all of you out there who are sitting on the fence and still deciding about having a dog, go ahead, bring home your best friend, ofcourse, provided that you can provide all the care that he'd require.

BTW, after my loss, I have realised that I'll never be able to have a dog once again in my life, simply for the fact that, it is more likely that he is not going to outlive me and so I don't have the resolve and courage to see him die which is too much to endure.

PS: Sorry for the rant here. But, I think this thread is visited by people who also have the same sort of feelings towards pets and will understand.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 16th June 2012 at 11:35.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:42   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thanks for the link and response! I had a rottweiler in mind, however had a few apprehensions on bringing it up as i've read its one hard nut to crack. Is it recommended for a newbie like me ?

I do own a rottie and find it adorable, i never chained him and keep him open all the time, i can say that keeping rottweiler do need a experience hands but in my opinion if you chain any breed for a longer duration even a spids can become aggressive. you can keep GSD or a boxer who are friendly and good guard dogs too
take your pick
Old 16th June 2012, 19:55   #2786
BHPian

Now who doesn't like to be pampered!!??
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1010250.jpg  

Last edited by archat68 : 16th June 2012 at 19:58.
Old 16th June 2012, 21:18   #2787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
All these discussions on the nature and types of dogs made me miss my dear Basset Hound whom I lost a couple of month back. If any of you have ever experienced the sweetness of a Basset, then you know what love and affection from a dog means. And now after his death, I have realised how much it affects you mentally and emotionally. I never knew it could be that hard...
Very much understood --- and Basset Hounds are really unique animals.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:41   #2788
Senior - BHPian

I got my Modular aquarium installed yesterday it looks really awesome, dimensions are 40X20X15 inches. the overall look of Wooden stand with single molded glass and top looks great.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:58   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I got my Modular aquarium installed yesterday it looks really awesome, dimensions are 40X20X15 inches. the overall look of Wooden stand with single molded glass and top looks great.
PHOTOS PLEASE .
Yeah modular aquariums have suddenly become a rage.
Is yours of BOYU brand? BOYU is also known for air pumps & water filters.
You must have got moulded thermocol sheeting at base, I'll suggest that you dont remove it.
The ALL-IN-ONE top cover of these aquariums are real space savers & hide all those eyes sore attachments to regular tanks.
Happy Fishing.

Raab rakha.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:17   #2790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
PHOTOS PLEASE .
Yeah modular aquariums have suddenly become a rage.
Is yours of BOYU brand? BOYU is also known for air pumps & water filters.
You must have got moulded thermocol sheeting at base, I'll suggest that you dont remove it.
The ALL-IN-ONE top cover of these aquariums are real space savers & hide all those eyes sore attachments to regular tanks.
Happy Fishing.

Raab rakha.
I will surely post once all is settled in the aquarium, company name in RS Electrical - Chinese brand.

I have to reshuffle my fishes again since flowerhorn has started behaving in her basic instinct and i have lost some of my fishes in last few days - one angel and one neon akara

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks