Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 22:05   #2896
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Raw egg has salmonella virus. AVOID at all costs (human or animal consumption). Anything you give has to be cooked!
Old 6th September 2012, 10:39   #2897
Senior - BHPian

New Member in our family - MAXX
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-maxx1.jpg  

Old 7th September 2012, 00:35   #2898

This is Buddy , the most intelligent being in the world (or so he thinks), anyway Buddy is 7 Years old and loves kids and other animals, unfortunately he is now suffering from an accute kidney dysfunction but that has not dampned his spirits and is still full of energy.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03150.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc02980.jpg  

Old 7th September 2012, 13:04   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Very rare to see a fit lab.

Also, most vets suggest one heavy meal only in a day for an adult pet dog, unless he/she works out really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I too own a male lab who is 4 years old now. Just wanted to suggest you something which you posted above:

1. Avoid feeding milk to your lab. Dogs have lactose intolerance and milk is a definite NO. Yogurt which you feed him is rich in calcium and best replacement for milk.

2. Instead of giving him half boiled egg, give him raw egg. Read somewhere that raw egg helps to keep his coat healthy.

BTW your Gunda is very cute. Will love to introduce my naughty cookie to him one day. Below is latest pic of my cookie :P
Thanks for words of appreciation Googleman and lazybrain.

As far as feeding him milk, I mix one glass of milk with two glass of water. The reason being, he hardly drinks water. Its been like this from the beginning. I know that milk is not recommended for dogs but this is the only way I can make him drink some water.

Regarding raw egg, the vet suggested strictly against it. He even suggested not to give any kind of meat directly. Since he is mostly an indoor dog, feeding these will result in obesity.

Regards,
-Nidhi
Old 7th September 2012, 14:59   #2900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi View Post
As far as feeding him milk, I mix one glass of milk with two glass of water. The reason being, he hardly drinks water. Its been like this from the beginning. I know that milk is not recommended for dogs but this is the only way I can make him drink some water.
Its a serious concern that your dog does not drink water. It should be a natural instinct for him to go towards water when he feels thirsty and there should be no substitute to pet not drinking water. Some of them also give their pets glucose water if they don't drink plain water. IMO its not a good practice. I feel somehow you should train your dog to drink water when he is thirsty so that you can completely avoid giving him milk or diluted milk
Old 7th September 2012, 15:42   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
New Member in our family - MAXX
aaah! MAXX is so cute Take good care of him.

@Adithya: Your buddy is so sweet as well..

Last edited by CliffHanger : 7th September 2012 at 15:49.
Old 7th September 2012, 20:23   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Actually lactose intolerance varies from person to person as well as dog to dog. My lab has been on a steady diet of milk, twice a day and thrives on it.

Regarding food, it depends, but I recommend keeping away from commercial pet food. My lab has a mixture of
. Par Boiled Rice
. Garlic
. Turmeric
. Seasonal Vegetables
. Dal at times
. Oil of fat

This is cooked in a 5L pressure cooker, enough for 5 days @ two meals per day.

Apart from this he gets raw meat in form of chicken carcass, or mutton ribs and at time fish. So it depends on how you bring the pet up. In Thailand they keep Tigers on Vegetarian diet and they thrive

Though the general consensus is to desist from giving cooked chicken bones as sharp pieces may puncture the intestines, in our case, as my Lab was on raw bones and fish from the day one, he chews them thoroughly. Every time we have guests for meals he goes through a pile of bones with impunity.

He is now 7 years old
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-leo1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-leo2.jpg  

Old 7th September 2012, 20:26   #2903
Distinguished - BHPian

Still searching for a new home for my Oscar. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Will prefer pickup within tomorrow evening else it will go to the Aquarist store.
Old 7th September 2012, 21:57   #2904
BHPian

@aroy what you referred to individual variation is also true when it comes to lactose intolerance. But milk does not provide any nutritional value to dogs unlike humans (well this is what is told to me by many of the vets here in bangalore - hence better to avoid milk completely)
Old 8th September 2012, 09:17   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
@aroy what you referred to individual variation is also true when it comes to lactose intolerance. But milk does not provide any nutritional value to dogs unlike humans (well this is what is told to me by many of the vets here in bangalore - hence better to avoid milk completely)
Some are lactose tolerant some are not. My Lab loves milk, ice cream and sweets, and will lap up as much as he can, with no side effects. But in many cases where there is lactose intolerance there may be diarrhea and loose motion. Test it out with a cup of milk.

Some interesting articles.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fe...airy-products/

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums...-milk-to-dogs/

http://www.petfriendlyworld.com/chat...ad.php?t=24021
Old 8th September 2012, 11:49   #2906
BHPian

This piece of news made me sad in the mornig :

Russia: Dog dies saving drunken owner from train

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/russia-do.../289508-2.html
Old 8th September 2012, 13:37   #2907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi View Post
Thanks for words of appreciation Googleman and lazybrain.

Regarding raw egg, the vet suggested strictly against it. He even suggested not to give any kind of meat directly. Since he is mostly an indoor dog, feeding these will result in obesity.

Regards,
-Nidhi
Just chill Taking too much of tension about feeding your dog.

Milk - Yes you can. It depends on each dog if they are able to take it. If your Dog is able to hold it, carry on.

You are feeding the right kind of food to your dog, and noone else can suggest you better food for your dog (not even vets) because you know your dog best.

Only thing - dont overfeed.
Old 8th September 2012, 21:45   #2908
Senior - BHPian

Meet Mia and Drizzle, two dogs that I am fostering for a week. They were found shivering in the rain. A bike ran over their mother and two other siblings but luckily they were rescued by an organization.They're full of energy and love jumping around the place. Mia is the brains of the organization and Drizzle is super sweet and loves cuddling. If anyone wants to adopt them, please let me know. At the very least please spread the word.

Both puppies are fully up to date with their vaccines with the organization's vet btw.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-_dsc0162.jpg

Last edited by khanak : 8th September 2012 at 22:01.
Old 14th September 2012, 14:04   #2909
Senior - BHPian

Check its height!

Rest of the story
http://news.discovery.com/animals/wo...mkcpgn=rssnws1
Old 14th September 2012, 19:36   #2910
BHPian

My 12 year old cutie (English Cocker Spaniel) has been attacked by an infestation of ticks. She doesn't venture out much due to her age and all her essentials are taken care on the building terrace. Have tried all those tick powder, Redol etc but the ticks keeps coming back again and again.

Those blood suckers has found furniture / wall crevices a nice place to hide. Some even ventured on to our bed which worried us.

Any helpful solution for this guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks