Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 19:06   #2956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Guys, a friend has a question:

Is it ok to adopt a 90- day old lab pup ? The breeder is good, the pup is potty & obedience trained.

My friend had got her first lab from the same person, so is familar with dogs. The breeder is not the typical ones who are only into the money, but he does it with much more care.
Old 15th October 2012, 19:20   #2957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Is it ok to adopt a 90- day old lab pup ? The breeder is good, the pup is potty & obedience trained.

My friend had got her first lab from the same person, so is familar with dogs. The breeder is not the typical ones who are only into the money, but he does it with much more care.
Should be absolutely fine condor sir. 3 months is in fact, very close to the ideal age for beginning the movement to buyers' homes (ideal adoption age is between 8-12 weeks). Just make sure that deworming and vaccination have been taken care of by the breeder as per schedule.

What I'd be interested to know is whether this pup was the leftover one in the litter. If so, when going to pickup the pup, make sure the pup is curious, inquisitive about new sounds and movements, and is playful with new faces. This is considered normal behaviour at that age, and any overly laid-back attitude or shying away / retreating from visitors is not normal, especially among labs.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th October 2012 at 19:22.
Old 15th October 2012, 19:52   #2958
Distinguished - BHPian

After a long time, set this up:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-404633_10151178234483396_525505458_n.jpg

Fishes are yet to move in! And more plants to come.
Old 15th October 2012, 19:57   #2959
BHPian

Rather reading, I always wanted to post here. Finally wish is fulfilled. I have just bought aquarium and now unable to decide on fishes. It's 45 gal tank (mostly) and for this can anyone suggest small size schooling fish?
Also, is this tank enough to keep 8-9 gold fishes?

Thanks,
Pradip.

Last edited by pradipk : 15th October 2012 at 19:59. Reason: Grammatical correction.
Old 15th October 2012, 20:36   #2960
BHPian

This is Maxi, he is the most loved one at home, has been with us for more than 12years but still doesn’t allow us to touch him, he eats anything we give him but his most favourite are cashew nuts, if we don’t feed him on time then he starts throwing out his seeds in anger, very short tempered guy and he dosent like being photographed.

Unfortunately he has still not learned to talk, but we love him the way he is.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0188.jpg  

Old 16th October 2012, 12:01   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Beautiful setup. But don't crowd it with too many plants. Can see an angel there. Buy compatible fishes & you can add some small pots also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Rather reading, I always wanted to post here. Finally wish is fulfilled. I have just bought aquarium and now unable to decide on fishes. It's 45 gal tank (mostly) and for this can anyone suggest small size schooling fish?
Thanks,
Pradip.
Hi Pradip,
My suggestion is that buy one pair at a time.
Goldfishes are good but why ONLY them when you can get KOI's in different colors from your LFS.
For that schooling effect you can get some neon tetra or guppies also. They look great & will give a filling effect to your setup. As for guppies, if they ever begin with then they can breed in dozens but then don't add big size fishes as the smaller ones will become their breakfast.
Do post pics of your setup.

ssadwelkar: That's a handsome guy there. Did you guys never thought of adding a partner to him? Can see that he is uncomfortable with camera.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 16th October 2012 at 12:05.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:14   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Goldfishes are messy and dirty the water in no time.

You may also want to try out Hockey Sticks, Zebra's, Swordtails, Serpae's etc.

You could also think of Tiger Barbs, but be careful they are very aggressive, you would not be able to keep any other fishes with them.Tiger Barbs are best kept in groups of 5 or more
Old 16th October 2012, 13:19   #2963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Go ahead Condor, Labs are the most gentle and loving dogs and a 90 day old one is still open for training and bonding (Labs are actually perpetually ready for it! I have a 7 year old Lab!)
Good thing for you is that he is already potty trained so will save you a lot on the initial efforts for this! You may still want to crate train him, as it is recommended till 120 days age.
Continue the obedience training till at least 18 months, by when he will become mature and stop behaving like a kid - they are very prone to naughtiness, especially if they are not given enough attention and exercise.
Keep a check on his diet too, they will heavily overeat if given the chance.
I remember one instance with ours, when we had left him at a neighbours place for a few hours when we had gone out - he was around 4 months old then. The neighbour thought he was hungry and fed him 6 bread slices with milk as he just kept on eating and wouldn't stop! After this he became so plump and was barely able to walk!

Also be sure to give him all the food supplements and eggs that your vet recommends, as Labs have genetically a tendency for Hip Dysplacia and a proper diet when young can help delay it.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 16th October 2012, 13:34   #2964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Beautiful setup. But don't crowd it with too many plants. Can see an angel there. Buy compatible fishes & you can add some small pots also .
There is an angel and a rainbow shark in the tank. Not finding a good batch of fish here so waiting. Planning to put some tiger barbs, and tetras too. Molly and platy look common and I have hundreds of them already with me. So not interested in it. I am planning to put small fishes in a considerable number, totalling to around 20 fish in the tank. The tank is 150 liters in volume. So planning to add slowly.

Last edited by audioholic : 16th October 2012 at 13:36. Reason: Spelling
Old 16th October 2012, 13:37   #2965
BHPian

That' my Tru an English Cocker Spaniel

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1.jpg

And this is my aquarium!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-full-page-fax-print.jpg
Old 16th October 2012, 14:48   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy View Post
That' my Tru an English Cocker Spaniel

What an expression on the fellows face, were you leaving him and going some place?
My GSD used to make a face whenever we were having dinner, a sad kind of face and used to get his reward.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:51   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
What an expression on the fellows face, were you leaving him and going some place?
My GSD used to make a face whenever we were having dinner, a sad kind of face and used to get his reward.
We were playing hide and seek with him and he saw us from the other balcony and was confused as to how should he get to my end, but could'nt figure it it till some time.
Old 16th October 2012, 19:58   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Hi Pradip,
My suggestion is that buy one pair at a time.
Goldfishes are good but why ONLY them when you can get KOI's in different colors from your LFS.
For that schooling effect you can get some neon tetra or guppies also. They look great & will give a filling effect to your setup. As for guppies, if they ever begin with then they can breed in dozens but then don't add big size fishes as the smaller ones will become their breakfast.
Do post pics of your setup.

Raab rakha.
Thanks for your information.

As you mentioned, I planed to start with single pair only and gradually add others. I like Kois too. But I guess Koi's will be bigger, so is it OK to keep 8-10 in to 45 gal tank?

Also, I didn't wanted to mix small-big fishes. It's either school of small or Goldfishes only.

By the way, presently tank is just having gravel and water and I am running it for another day or so. Will definitely post pics afterwards.

Pradip.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:23   #2969
Senior - BHPian

can i know the tank dimensions?

get tiger barbs 7 and get loaches as well love the combo and active characteristics of both the species. koi carps are best left to the ponds and are not suitable for normal tanks.

or you could always go for zebras, swordtails and mollies.

I would not suggest you to keep 8-10 goldfishes in your tank. too small for them.
Old 17th October 2012, 14:13   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Can you guide me as to how to setup a small planted setup like yours?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 17th October 2012 at 14:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks