Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:20   #3076
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Dear All,

I need urgent help.

My sister in Delhi has a 1.5 Year old female cocker spaniel, she needs to send the Dog to Trivandrum, Kerala, Do you know any one who can help us with the shipment?

Another alternative is, can any Bhpian volunteer to take the dog for 4-5 months . my sister stays in a PG and the dog has started hauling lately, when the dog is alone inside a room, this has started upsetting her other neighboring roomies. Her course will complete in 4-5 months, post which she will take the dog back.

Thanks in advance

Pramod
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:00   #3077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I need urgent help.

My sister in Delhi has a 1.5 Year old female cocker spaniel, she needs to send the Dog to Trivandrum, Kerala, Do you know any one who can help us with the shipment?
I'd suggest the first alternative since its not going to put your dog with a stranger family for months together.

Try Yashbans. They are pretty professional. I have myself used some of their services (not transportation though) and can vouch for their quality of service.

http://www.yashbans.com/yashbanspettransportation.html

Perhaps you can speak to Rishya directly and convey your requirement. She is the owner's daughter there and is in charge of their pet transportation wing too, as far as I know. If you need any help in getting through to her or putting your request across, PM me and I'll try to help you out since I know them (Yashbans) well.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd January 2013 at 21:06.
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:15   #3078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I'd suggest the first alternative since its not going to put your dog with a stranger family for months together.

Try Yashbans. They are pretty professional. I have myself used some of their services (not transportation though) and can vouch for their quality of

Thanks. I wll try them

Pramod
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:59   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” ― Josh Billings
Enigmatic, you have two very adorable dogs! Which one is Miley, and which Victor? How old are they?

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Loved that second pic of your Lab
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:22   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Enigmatic, you have two very adorable dogs! Which one is Miley, and which Victor? How old are they?

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Loved that second pic of your Lab
Great to know that you liked the pics :-

Victor is the labrador and is about 4 years old, Miley is a Bhotia(sheep dog of Uttarakhand region) and is about an year old.
Old 30th January 2013, 06:43   #3081
BHPian

Even i am grappling with need for dog shelter for 15 days for my pet @ Mangalore or any suburban town in DK district. My pet is basically a cute female cross breed of dobermann and pomeranian.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-29112012076.jpg  

Old 11th February 2013, 23:28   #3082
BHPian

Guys, need an urgent help please. We have 2 (neutered) cats at home and there is a stray cat (not a big one. but not a very small kitten either) which is roaming around our place. This stray often enters our place and eats all the food that we have kept for our own cats.

We somehow want to get rid of this stray as day-by-day its giving us more trouble. Generally when we all go out, we use to put some food for our cats in their plates. Now, this is becoming impossible. We can't keep the windows closed as our cats would go out for their potty work.

Can you guys give us some idea to get rid of this stray? Once, I actually had a stick in my hand, cornered the cat and was in a very close range to hit it. But, I was worried that I might kill or injure it badly. So, left it as it is.

Now, one idea that struck upon me is - feed it with a very mild tranquilizer-laden food and once it becomes unconscious, take it and leave it at some far-away place. Is this okay? Am I thinking so cruel? I'm so sorry. If this idea looks to be okay, suggest me some tranquilizing drug.

If there is any other idea, please let me know.
Old 12th February 2013, 01:11   #3083
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys, need an urgent help please. We have 2 (neutered) cats at home and there is a stray cat (not a big one. but not a very small kitten either) which is roaming around our place. This stray often enters our place and eats all the food that we have kept for our own cats.

We somehow want to get rid of this stray as day-by-day its giving us more trouble. Generally when we all go out, we use to put some food for our cats in their plates. Now, this is becoming impossible. We can't keep the windows closed as our cats would go out for their potty work.

Can you guys give us some idea to get rid of this stray? Once, I actually had a stick in my hand, cornered the cat and was in a very close range to hit it. But, I was worried that I might kill or injure it badly. So, left it as it is.

Now, one idea that struck upon me is - feed it with a very mild tranquilizer-laden food and once it becomes unconscious, take it and leave it at some far-away place. Is this okay? Am I thinking so cruel? I'm so sorry. If this idea looks to be okay, suggest me some tranquilizing drug.

Tough situation. If you sedate put it in a big plastic stiff shopping basket until its reflexes are good again. Else it might get eaten by dogs or come under a vehicle while crossing the road after you leave it someplace. Their co-ordination and reflexes are likely to become so poor they will have trouble jumping to safety in a life threatening situation (which is every other minute the cat is out in the street). I've seen crows peck the soft eyeballs out of half alive mammals so there ...

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 12th February 2013 at 01:12.
Old 12th February 2013, 08:59   #3084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This is what "I" would do:

1. Try and grab the stray cat

2. Take him/her and get the neutering done.

3. Bring the cat back, give the cat a name, and adopt it too

Alternatively, put a little extra food in a bowl just for the stray cat, and feed it. That cat's hungry too - maybe you can add some good karma for yourself, hmmm?

The other ideas suggested are very inhumane. Please reconsider.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:50   #3085
Senior - BHPian

^ Now thats a good suggestion. Frankly I have seen it in my own family too. We have a dog and my family loves it but then some members still dislike stray dogs. All animals, stray or with a family deserve the same amount of respect. Just because an animal is a stray it doesn't make it an outcast.
I might not be straying from the topic too much if I say that this is the need for us to consider as a society. We have to treat 'others' with respect too. These others include animals and humans.
Old 12th February 2013, 10:57   #3086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Else it might get eaten by dogs or...
I am going Terribly OT, but dogs don't eat cats . They just kill them due to enemity . Rarely do they look at them as food.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:06   #3087
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I am going Terribly OT, but dogs don't eat cats . They just kill them due to enemity . Rarely do they look at them as food.

Yeah! I only meant it in a desi colloquial sense.

As much as we try to be humane sometimes we do not want a stray loitering in our house and taking space, no matter what. I wouldn't insist on enforcing that welcome all attitude just to impress others.
The OP should do as he deems fit.

--R
Old 13th February 2013, 23:31   #3088
Distinguished - BHPian

Just shot this 1.30 mins video of our dogs Ticky & Sandy.

Sandy is just 6 month old while Ticky is 8 years old. See what Sandy does!!

Edit
:: Currently the video is undergoing some processing by Youtube. Should be good in another 10-15 mins! I posted the video as I wanted to check with fellow bhpians whether this playful attitude is OK? The way she bites, it hurts quite a lot.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2013 at 23:34.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:38   #3089
BHPian

Quote:

Don't even think about tranquilizer unless you are a vet. You can cajole the cat into a basket and deposit it with the local Blue Cross. Humane way to dispose of the stray cat. In the old days, people used to release these strays in a fish market.

Don't haul me over the coal for saying this - you can safely - humanely kill the stray cats - if you have too many cats in the neighborhood - by lacing the food with Paracetamol. Paracetamol in high dosage can kill cats. I am an animal lover - and I detest wanton destruction of animals.
Old 14th February 2013, 12:42   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Folks with Golden Retriever and Labradors, have been wanting to ask this for a long time. What would be the extra expenditure in the monthly budget if one gets one of the above breed. Be it in terms of food, medicines, vaccines etc. The reason being we are planning to get one soon and wanted to study how much of a financial strain it involves.

Also, I have been searching to adopt a pup from the above but I guess its like searching for a needle in a haystack as all folks who have puppies end up putting them on sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks