Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 10:34   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Looks cute and mischievous, how old is he? Does the color of the coat which is slightly different than normal German Shepherd mean anything or is it just a variety like we have in cars
He is 45 days old. Yeah, quite mischievous and a quick learner. Wants to be friends with everyone in the house, though I am the one whom he wants to be around with most of the time.

German Shepherd predominantly have black & tan coat. The dominance of the colour coat depends from pup to pup I guess. Mine has a predominantly black coat. I was told that wherever my pup had white hair on its body, it will eventually turn tan with age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...og#Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Edit:: Though they had some feast on Pedigree last time, this time it's switched on to "Royal Canin".
I was told by the guy whom I bought my GS pup from, to stick to Royal Canin brand only.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 7th March 2013 at 10:52.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:16   #3122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Had this promptly delivered at home. Compared the stuff with what my brother bought at a dog show and found this VFM (from a size point of view). The doggies love this and they finish one bone in almost a week's time.

I have placed another order from the same seller and is expected to deliver it soon.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/281073293822?...84.m1438.l2649

Would like to know feedback from you guys - Is it OK to give these calcium bones to dogs on a regular basis?
No!
They do more harm than good. These things aren't actually calcium, although they claim to be. They are just processed, chewable, flavoured hide. Think of it as some kind of chewing gum for dogs.

Is it bad? If given on a daily basis, yes. They take longer to digest, and can cause constipation and stomach upsets, so I wouldn' recommend it on a daily basis. Also be wary of giving bigger sizes. The hides are wrapped in layers, and will tear in big pieces sometimes, which the dog might swallow and choke on. Give these bones only when you are supervising her, at least during the puppy phase.

How much to give? - give 2-3 bones in a week. The only good thing this bone does is it will prevent the formation of excess plaque and tartar on the teeth.

Quote:
The lab has stopped picking rubbish from our property after having this (she is busy munching on this), otherwise the courtyard is a mess when she is out of the cage! Picks up bottles / net / coconut / long poles / footwear / paper etc & places all those right in front of the house otherwise.
Food as an alternative to biting will lead to weight gain . Instead, try getting a few rubber toys that she can chew on. Your nearest pet shop will have a big variety of doggie toys. Personally, a Kong is the best toy to keep the dog occupied.

Quote:
Edit:: Though they had some feast on Pedigree last time, this time it's switched on to "Royal Canin".
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I was told by the guy whom I bought my GS pup from, to stick to Royal Canin brand only.
Royal Canin, Eukanaba, hill's Science Plan. All of these are of decent quality and provide a good balance of nutrition. For occasional usage of high quality food, try Butch blue label / white label. Your dog will love you for it! You can probably mix a small amount of it with your daily measure of RC.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th March 2013 at 10:31.
Old 8th March 2013, 12:10   #3123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
....Is it bad? If given on a daily basis, yes. They take longer to digest, and can cause constipation and stomach upsets, so I wouldn' recommend it on a daily basis...
Quote:
How much to give? - give 2-3 bones in a week. The only good thing this bone does is it will prevent the formation of excess plaque and tartar on the teeth...
Doesn't these two statements conflict?

What I do is, give one bone and let them keep it till its over. Looks like one bone is lasting close to a week. The dachshund (8 year old) doesn't like any of the eatables being taken back and gets violent if we try - he is very possessive about his food!

Will try for some toys next time.
Old 8th March 2013, 13:30   #3124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Doesn't these two statements conflict?

What I do is, give one bone and let them keep it till its over. Looks like one bone is lasting close to a week. The dachshund (8 year old) doesn't like any of the eatables being taken back and gets violent if we try - he is very possessive about his food!

Will try for some toys next time.
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't check what size of bones you are giving. Normally the ~4 inch ones are devoured in a few hours by larger breeds , and starts affecting their appetite too, which was why I mentioned 2-3 max per week. If your dog is retaining a single bone for a week (seems a bit slow to me for a lab's standards ), I suggest you keep the cap at 1 per week.
Old 8th March 2013, 13:50   #3125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't check what size of bones you are giving. Normally the ~4 inch ones are devoured in a few hours by larger breeds , and starts affecting their appetite too, which was why I mentioned 2-3 max per week. If your dog is retaining a single bone for a week (seems a bit slow to me for a lab's standards ), I suggest you keep the cap at 1 per week.
I give them the 4" bone. My lab is just 6 months old, so could be the reason the bone is lasting almost a week.
Old 8th March 2013, 17:20   #3126
BHPian

Hi all,

An acquaintance of mine here in Bangalore is looking to adopt a kitten. If anyone has leads please let me know.

Thanks,
Alston
Old 9th March 2013, 21:36   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy need your advise again. My lab has completed one year today but more than the joy we are very much worried about him for the below reasons.

Since last 3-4 days he isn't eating his regular Royal Cannin (Lab Jr) which we give with egg at all but eats bread, chapathis and rice sometimes when given. He is panting a lot these days which i believe due to the summer (Hyderabad heat is crazy as you all know). He touches curd rice (with egg) but just a little. We do not have an a/c at home but am trying to keep the rooms cool all the time with the fans on and wet the veranda. He is feeling quite un-easy and always comes to me staring as if he wants to say something. Do you think he needs medical attention ?

A month ago:

Few days back he just ran into a drainage stream chasing few pigs and my parents gave him a bath with 'Clinar M' which was not washed completely and he licked some of it trying to clean his paws. He got poisoned and we had to call the ambulance who gave him 'Atropine sulphate' injections (this is the third time he got this injection, earlier when he tried to swallow a toad when he was 5 months). Things were fine for the next two days but again stopped eating and I took him to the vet who gave him two injections saying the toxic is not yet flushed out. As soon as we were back home within 30 minutes his face started swelling there were small blisters which look like a kind of skin allergy, i quickly called the doc who asked me to give me oakacet (cetrizine). The swellings stopped and his came back to normal within minutes. Couldn't take him to the vet later. Now since then he eats at his will. We tried feeding him ORS and coconut water but this fellow doesn't even lick them.

My parents have now started cribbing on me for bringing a lab rather than any other breed as they always refer to the street dogs which adjust themselves to all the weather conditions.

Also, since he has turned one year now I am thinking he might have got bored eating RC all the way and needs a change. Maybe home food could be be tried, what and how much quantity.

Also, he is losing lot of hair, doc says it will go on till a month more due to hormone changes but advised olive oil massage which i am doing.

Please advise.

Took this pic now while typing this mail.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-09mar13.jpg  

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 9th March 2013 at 21:40.
Old 9th March 2013, 23:40   #3128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Buddy need your advise again. My lab has completed one year today but more than the joy we are very much worried about him for the below reasons.

Since last 3-4 days he isn't eating his regular Royal Cannin (Lab Jr) which we give with egg at all but eats bread, chapathis and rice sometimes when given.
Any behavioural changes such as sleeping more, lethargy, red eyes, etc?

Quote:
He is panting a lot these days which i believe due to the summer (Hyderabad heat is crazy as you all know). He touches curd rice (with egg) but just a little. We do not have an a/c at home but am trying to keep the rooms cool all the time with the fans on and wet the veranda.
I don't think his problem is the heat. The panting is due to the shortness of breath caused by something else - could be a side effect of the medications or some other problem troubling him. How long back did this poisoning episode happen?

Quote:
He is feeling quite un-easy and always comes to me staring as if he wants to say something. Do you think he needs medical attention ?
I suggest you try another reputed vet than the guy you currently went to. From what I read here, yes, shortness of breath is something you should be concerned about. Tomorrow being a sunday, try to meet a reputed vet with proper infrastructure and see if he recommends any tests or scans.

Quote:
A month ago:

Few days back he just ran into a drainage stream chasing few pigs and my parents gave him a bath with 'Clinar M' which was not washed completely and he licked some of it trying to clean his paws. He got poisoned and we had to call the ambulance who gave him 'Atropine sulphate' injections (this is the third time he got this injection, earlier when he tried to swallow a toad when he was 5 months).
Clinar M is a pretty common anti-fungal shampoo. Licking it is bad, but I have never heard of it causing drastic reactions like poisoning to the level of requiring emergency treatment (medical firms usually test the effect of animals swallowing these minute quantities). Did he actually go unconscious or something? If not, you probably jumped the gun too early and could have let it pass.

Quote:
Things were fine for the next two days but again stopped eating and I took him to the vet who gave him two injections saying the toxic is not yet flushed out.
He needs to be sure of such indications before he goes ahead and administers powerful drugs on gut feeling that it "might not be flushed out". Please look at another vet. If it helps, please ask him to carry out any necessary blood / stool tests to check for poisoning if any. They shouldn't be blindly administering stuff without properly testing.

Quote:
Now since then he eats at his will. We tried feeding him ORS and coconut water but this fellow doesn't even lick them.
How long has it been since his last injection? It could be some side effects still lasting if it was quite recent. How is his general exercise / agility level? Is he getting the same amount of exercise now? Normally most appetite problems (not counting drug side effects and diseases) usually boil down to lack of exercise or irregular deworming schedule. You can try other homemade options in case he likes them, or maybe follow 1 meal of RC, 1 meal of home cooked food every day, just to observe.

Quote:
My parents have now started cribbing on me for bringing a lab rather than any other breed as they always refer to the street dogs which adjust themselves to all the weather conditions.
Wouldn't matter. Any living being will face side effects to powerful drugs , stray or otherwise. Maybe the pigs might have trampled on the stray and injured it physically also, which your sturdy lab might have avoided.

Quote:
Also, since he has turned one year now I am thinking he might have got bored eating RC all the way and needs a change. Maybe home food could be be tried, what and how much quantity.
there is no fixed measure for home cooked food. You have to try and give around the same quantity as RC, since that is the amount his body was used to all these days. Gradually increase based on his appetite.

Quote:
Also, he is losing lot of hair, doc says it will go on till a month more due to hormone changes but advised olive oil massage which i am doing.
Not going to help too much. Just keep brushing regularly and observe if the skin is overly dry or flaky. If it is just shedding hair, he might be getting his adult coat renewed out, though that usually happens a bit earlier.

Quote:
At this time of the day, probably expected posture . General interest or lethargy levels need to be checked.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th March 2013 at 23:44.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:58   #3129
BHPian

Hello everyone. I have a dog which i rescued from the streets. I took her home when she was 1.5 months old. She's now 3 months old and very happy .

Now i need some help here. I need to give my doggie toilet training. She does it everywhere although i take her out for a walk 3 times a day but she refuses to relieve herself outside the house. I have tried all the techniques ( I always clean the area as soon as she is relieved ) but still cant find a solution. Can you please help ?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1139.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1141.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1144.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1146.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1315.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1316.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1330.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1332.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1154.jpg  

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 11th March 2013 at 17:05.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:04   #3130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Few days back my 6.5 Year Old GSD confronted a Porcupine at our farm,
and the result was this,pulled these out of his right thigh,had it been his stomach,it could have been fatal.
You have porcupines in your farm? Where do you stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Amazing self defense by the porcupine as always though.
Porcupine’s cannot shoot their quills! When threatened, the Porcupine will raise and separate its’ quills and curl up in a ball, if you call it self defence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
He is definitely sick, can make out from the pic.

De-worming done? Take him to a nice vet who could suggest something for better immunity.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:14   #3131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post

Porcupine’s cannot shoot their quills! When threatened, the Porcupine will raise and separate its’ quills and curl up in a ball, if you call it self defence.
er i never said anything about them shooting quills. their quills are their self defense.
Old 11th March 2013, 19:19   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have porcupines in your farm? Where do you stay?

I stay in Ambala Cantonment,we have tiny forests all around.
So apart from porcupines we have Badgers,Big Wild Owls,Hares/Rabbits,Neelgai's,Mongoose and a few variety of snakes as well and all,apart from usual peacocks and peahens,most of them can be spotted around,during dark,we have placed 2-3 tanks of water,and a pit full of grains around the farm for the herbivores.And you are right,they just release\separate their quills when they sense danger.

@aditya-buddy respect for what you have done,take good care of it,and you will be rewarded with unconditional love.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:24   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er i never said anything about them shooting quills. their quills are their self defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I stay in Ambala Cantonment,we have tiny forests all around.
So apart from porcupines we have Badgers,Big Wild Owls,Hares/Rabbits,Neelgai's,Mongoose and a few variety of snakes as well and all,apart from usual peacocks and peahens,most of them can be spotted around,during dark,we have placed 2-3 tanks of water,and a pit full of grains around the farm for the herbivores.And you are right,they just release\separate their quills when they sense danger.
Boy, your dog would be having a lot of fun seeing so many animals around. Rabbits and Hares?? did your GSD hunt one ever?

Show him this picture, he will be like
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-capture.jpg  

Old 11th March 2013, 20:34   #3134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Boy, your dog would be having a lot of fun seeing so many animals around. Rabbits and Hares?? did your GSD hunt one ever?

Show him this picture, he will be like
He never confronted one,but our previous one had killed one after the poor hare got stuck in a gate,in terms of outright performance,top speed and acceleration dogs cannot outrun hares
Btw my GSD caesar is fascinated by birds,he wants to chase and every bird around him,i notice him running looking in the air pretty often,and few days back there was a low flying army chopper over the farm,and boy,he went crazy all over the place,running barking and huffing and puffing.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 11th March 2013 at 20:38.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:46   #3135
BHPian

Quote:
Any behavioural changes such as sleeping more, lethargy, red eyes, etc?
No buddy, he is active as he is used to be but is demanding more play time these days.
Quote:
How long back did this poisoning episode happen?
Been a month approximately

Quote:
I suggest you try another reputed vet than the guy you currently went to. From what I read here, yes, shortness of breath is something you should be concerned about.
The current one is the best in town. The other one is 25 KM far and this one pukes if taken in car/auto :(

Quote:
Clinar M is a pretty common anti-fungal shampoo. Did he actually go unconscious or something? If not, you probably jumped the gun too early and could have let it pass.
He started vomitting (yellowish fluid) and clouds of saliva foam started forming in his mouth and he was just going restless.

Quote:
How is his general exercise / agility level? Is he getting the same amount of exercise now? Normally most appetite problems (not counting drug side effects and diseases) usually boil down to lack of exercise or irregular deworming schedule. You can try other homemade options in case he likes them, or maybe follow 1 meal of RC, 1 meal of home cooked food every day, just to observe.
We take him twice a day(6.30 am & 6 pm) to the ground and play fetch with him (otherwise he doesn't allow me to sleep or wear my boots) and has been active as usual. Infact he is more active outside than at house, wants the same fun at home.

Quote:
Just keep brushing regularly and observe if the skin is overly dry or flaky. If it is just shedding hair, he might be getting his adult coat renewed out, though that usually happens a bit earlier.
The skin is normal, no signs of flakes.

Quote:
At this time of the day, probably expected posture . General interest or lethargy levels need to be checked.
Always ready to play but doesn't eat. But never says no to his Glenand biscuits, chapathis and egg. Hates milk though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks