Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 23:14   #3196
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion27 View Post
A pup of about 5 months old should weigh more than 3 kgs. If its feasible it would be better to take him to a vet before giving him a bath or any sort of treatment. And, refrain from giving Combiflam/brufin to pets, unless specifically instructed by the vet.
But you see, I am a veterinarian.

I reside in Trivandrum Kerala, and work at Perumkadavila near here in the Kerala State Animal Husbandry Department.
Old 12th May 2013, 21:32   #3197
BHPian

We have two cute Persian cats (one male , one female, both neutered/spayed). We will be away to Patna for 2.5 weeks traveling most of the times. We have two options:

1. Take them with us to Patna. We have booked First AC Tickets for all of our journeys (~4 hours halt in Kolkata for connecting train one way) and hoping to get a coupe. Leave them with in-laws and pick them while coming back.

2. Leave them here in Bangalore and have my friend stay in the house.

I am more inclined towards second option considering traveling for 1.5 days will be stressful for both of them. Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-cats1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-cats2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-cats3.jpg  

Old 13th May 2013, 09:34   #3198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
We have two cute Persian cats (one male , one female, both neutered/spayed). We will be away to Patna for 2.5 weeks traveling most of the times. We have two options:

1. Take them with us to Patna. We have booked First AC Tickets for all of our journeys (~4 hours halt in Kolkata for connecting train one way) and hoping to get a coupe. Leave them with in-laws and pick them while coming back.

2. Leave them here in Bangalore and have my friend stay in the house.

I am more inclined towards second option considering traveling for 1.5 days will be stressful for both of them. Please advise.
Option 2 all the way please. Cats don't like travel.
Old 28th May 2013, 15:30   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
Not sure whether they could be called pets, they do not recognize me or play with me.

Tank Size - 5*2*2 Ft
Wow, lovely tank there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That is a beautiful planted tank. I can imagine sitting in front of it and letting your mind go

As for fishes being pets and responsive, Cichlids like Oscars, Wolfs and Hybrids like Flowerhorns not to mention Arowanas are great when it comes to responsiveness.

Oscars are often called the dogs of the aqua world.
And you should know dude! What fishes do you have these days? I am putting off getting a tank as I keep leaving home for days on end and don't want to leave the fishes like that. Do those auto feeders work?

Just saw a pic of your tank. You still have that?

Last edited by naveenroy : 28th May 2013 at 16:00.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:21   #3200
Senior - BHPian

Na man. Sold off/Gave off every tank/fish/equipment after i moved from home to a flat. Now i have just the one Banjar red arowana in a 6x2x2 at home and a Red Texas in a 4x2x2 in the flat.

And food should be the least of your concerns while you are away for one or two days. Only if you leave home for more than a week should you start to think about auto feeders. And yes they do work but get a good one like the one from Eheim instead of cheaper Chinese knockoffs.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:23   #3201
Senior - BHPian

Meet Jackie, my 1 year old boy. He is a Labardor - Rotweiler cross. rather a Lab with some features of a Rot.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-jackie.jpg

Fed twice a day, one full meal with rice & chicken/fish/red meat and one half meal consisting of Milk & Egg/Buiscuts.

As a feed suppliment, I also feed him 20ml Virbac Ostopet Syrup daily. Dewormed every 3 months since he is 6 months.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:07   #3202
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys it looks like my folks are very much inclined towards having an oscar in the fish tank. So I am planning to get some and have placed the order for some good tigerOscars. Currently I have a pair of tin foil barbs that Are half a foot long, a rainbow shark of the same size, a pair of blue morphs slightly smaller and a lone tiger barb and a white angel fish. All of these are damage and defect free. I dont want to let them stay with the oscars and get hurt. Hence if anyone is interesred to adopt them please do let me know. Would be most satisfied if they get a new home. Not expecting anything in return.

Do contact me asap else they will go back to the store. Not sure how they will be cared for there.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:17   #3203
Senior - BHPian

How many Oscars are you getting and what size was your tank again? Keep forgetting.

Also that's quite the assortment you are giving up. Lone Tiger Barb? Sad man just sad :(
Old 29th May 2013, 11:49   #3204
Senior - BHPian

My four month old German shepherd pup has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. The vet said it is a common problem with true breeds, German Shepherds specifically. Cross breeds mostly do not have this problem.

His medications started today. Even though he started walking in a funny way on his hind legs since the past one week and is having trouble getting up in one go, we never thought it could be serious. Anyone with any suggestions or past experience with their dogs on this issue?
Old 29th May 2013, 12:03   #3205
BHPian

[quote=skanchan95;3134521]My four month old German shepherd pup has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. The vet said it is a common problem with true breeds, German Shepherds specifically. Cross breeds mostly do not have this problem.

hip dysplasia is a problem with quite a few breeds as of today, both true and crosses, itd really hurt to have ya dog suffer from it, i personally have no past experience of the problem, but my neighbours shepherd/something mix had the same problem, all they could do was take very good care and not let him jump and run too much. the best of wishes to you and ya lil pup.

some pics of me and my now 4 yr old boxer harkat. she loves being in the JEEP and is an avid off roader, is a member of most of my rajasthan trips and loves long distance travelling in the car as long as no one tries switching off the ac. her longest trip has been a non stop , ahmedabad (gujurat) to tonk(rajasthan) to gwalior (M.P) .

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-603330_10151368161141151_212799593_n.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-69794_10150104426096210_3212559_n.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th May 2013 at 15:29.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:12   #3206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
How many Oscars are you getting and what size was your tank again? Keep forgetting.

Also that's quite the assortment you are giving up. Lone Tiger Barb? Sad man just sad :(
Tank is 3ft X 2ft X 1ft. Planning to get four. I get small sized fish of around one or two inches. Usually in a pair one dies and another survives. Like that I think I will end up with two. I give the fish away once they reach around one feet in length as I feel space is restricted. Whats with the sadness? For the lone fish or the assortment I am parting with?

How about compatiblity of these fish with the Oscar? I feel they will rip apart my current collection. Hence dont want to take chances and harm the fish i.currently have. I might leave the morph and tiger barb with some mollies in a large pot which is in my granys place.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:47   #3207
Senior - BHPian

Sadness was for both the assortment and the lone tiger barb. Tiger barbs are schooling fishes and love to be in big groups in long tanks.

Don't you feel like growing one or two fishes to its maximum for life instead of giving it off and buying something else?

Get one Oscar for your tank. Oscars become very attached and are often called the dogs of the fish world

Please don't assume out of four two will die and such. Get healthy specimens, house them in a healthy habitat as required and no one has to die. Oscars do not just pair up. Usually a mix of males with many females is needed to pick the ones that do indeed pair up.
Old 29th May 2013, 17:26   #3208
Distinguished - BHPian

Basically, I love to keep oscars as long as they live. The problem is personally I feel oscars need free space to go around. Hence once they reach around a foot or a few inches more, I feel bad seeing them move around in the small tank. Till date I have brought up three oscars and it was a sad moment when I gave them away. Hopefully this time I will relocate them to a bigger place within my own reach when they grow big. I had four tiger barbs which were bitten away by a morph and now only one is left. So for now I shall settle with the oscars.

As for the alternative arrangements, I am planning to build a pond like thing in my native so that it cAn house different fish. Only problem is that we get hard water there so need to find a workaround for that.

Btw how on earth does one know if an oscar is male of female? I think I can get a male and a couple of females to reduce fights. But that is only If I know which one is a male. Usually as per the shopkeeper they get only males as females are usually kept by the breeder for further spawning.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th May 2013 at 17:29.
Old 30th May 2013, 10:56   #3209
Senior - BHPian

No chance of you getting a bigger tank?

A 4x2x2 would be great and then get One Oscar. Trust me you will not regret it. I had my Albino Oscar from college days, got it back home after college and after 10yrs it bid adieu to this world. Such an active friendly fish
Old 30th May 2013, 11:17   #3210
Distinguished - BHPian

I live in an apartment and the current tank properly fits in a corner. Apart from this, there isnt a good space for a bigger tank. Hence no ideas of getting a bigger tank. However, I have ample space to play around in my native which we visit once in two weeks or so. In a year, I will be completing studies so after that I am planning to set up a nice tank(s) there to maintain my hobby. So this time the oscar will stay with me. :-) thanks for the motivation anyways. I fully agree that they are the dogs of the aquarium world.

Also, there is a pair of piranhas in the shop each around 3/4th feet in length. Its healthy and clean. If anyone is interested in this monster then this will be a good buy at a not so expensive price. :-D

Btw my question still remains unanswered. How to know whether an Oscar is male or female?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks