Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 11:26   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalil_khan View Post
hip dysplasia is a problem with quite a few breeds as of today, both true and crosses, itd really hurt to have ya dog suffer from it, i personally have no past experience of the problem, but my neighbours shepherd/something mix had the same problem, all they could do was take very good care and not let him jump and run too much. the best of wishes to you and ya lil pup.
Thanks mate. Believe me, its heartbreaking to see a lovely, well behaved dog like him struggle like that, although I get the feeling he is trying to hide that pain. He is showing maturity and good behaviour that older dogs have. Am taking every caution that he doesn't strain his back. I guess its now upto medications, love and the Lord above that will lessen his pain.

Lovely looking dog you have there.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 30th May 2013 at 11:28.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:13   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Thanks mate. Believe me, its heartbreaking to see a lovely, well behaved dog like him struggle like that, although I get the feeling he is trying to hide that pain. He is showing maturity and good behaviour that older dogs have. Am taking every caution that he doesn't strain his back. I guess its now upto medications, love and the Lord above that will lessen his pain.

Lovely looking dog you have there.
i dont mean to break ya spirit but am not really sure if meds can make too much of a difference. hip dysplasia is normally caused by a defective gene. id maybe even guess ill breeding somewhere up in her lineagemay have lead to this. hurts the most when some of the best behaved dogs get it. hope he gets well soon. where exactly are you based ? thanks a ton, harkats a beautiful girl, been my companion since the day i got her.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:23   #3213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalil_khan View Post
i dont mean to break ya spirit but am not really sure if meds can make too much of a difference. hip dysplasia is normally caused by a defective gene. id maybe even guess ill breeding somewhere up in her lineagemay have lead to this. hurts the most when some of the best behaved dogs get it. hope he gets well soon. where exactly are you based ? thanks a ton, harkats a beautiful girl, been my companion since the day i got her.
I know meds won't cure him. I have reading about it a lot lately, in the hope of finding something that could cure his condition. It seems the aim of the medicines is to make the dog life bit better by easing his pain and that the condition cannot be cured completely with anything, surgery included. The ones doctor ha prescribed are homeopathic pills along with a joint strengthening tablet. I have accepted the fact that he can never be like other normal dogs and am doing everthing I can to see that his back is not strained much.

Just moved into Mangalore,Karnataka from Veraval, Gujarat.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-400846_10200745591296478_1349030936_n.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-579310_10200745591656487_1011362026_n.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-984230_10200745594136549_1954350285_n.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-425196_10200745591856492_223648452_n.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 30th May 2013 at 15:25.
Old 31st May 2013, 21:36   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
I have accepted the fact that he can never be like other normal dogs and am doing everthing I can to see that his back is not strained much.
He might not become as agile as other GSDs but I am sure he would be as loving and caring as any dog can be. I have a 7 year old lab (whom we adopted when she was 5) that suffers from the same problem. Not being agile doesn't go against a goofy lab so, I have no complaints. She prefers to lie down instead of sitting and sleeps a lot. She loves playing fetch but needs rest after running for some time (probably the weight also plays it's part). I had an hyperactive GSD before Angel so, some of the family members used to complaint about her being lazy and not offering any security, etc. With time, Angel has managed to win everybody's heart through her smile and wagging tail. It hurts when we see her in pain while getting up and the fact that she is getting older doesn't help. Anyway, we are determined to take all care possible for her because she is special for us and we can not find a more loving dog than her.

Here are some of her pics. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3064977

The good thing in your case is that your dog is young so, treatment + exercise might help. All the best! If I get to know of any line of treatment or therapy that can help, I will definitely pm you.
Old 31st May 2013, 23:36   #3215
BHPian

Quote:

I know meds won't cure him. I have reading about it a lot lately, in the hope of finding something that could cure his condition. It seems the aim of the medicines is to make the dog life bit better by easing his pain and that the condition cannot be cured completely with anything, surgery included. The ones doctor ha prescribed are homeopathic pills along with a joint strengthening tablet. I have accepted the fact that he can never be like other normal dogs and am doing everthing I can to see that his back is not strained much.

Just moved into Mangalore,Karnataka from Veraval, Gujarat.
Just make sure he remains thin and will be fine. BTW he looks absolutely adorable puppy.
Old 1st June 2013, 10:17   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I live in an apartment and the current tank properly fits in a corner. Apart from this, there isnt a good space for a bigger tank. Hence no ideas of getting a bigger tank.
Btw my question still remains unanswered. How to know whether an Oscar is male or female?
Sorry missed your post.

Anyways if you cannot fit in a bigger tank in the flat, then please get just the one Oscar. Get a good specimen and watch him grow. Groups of Oscars in your tank would be chaos. There will be a lot of aggression with not enough space for it to dissipate. If the Oscar you are getting is small, then you could add in a Convict as well. They are small extremely fast and agile and look cool as well

And as for identifying male and female well all the best :P
http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpfu.../sexing-oscars

Found an old snap of my Oscar. Ah such memories...
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-16-large.jpg  

Old 1st June 2013, 18:31   #3217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Just make sure he remains thin and will be fine. BTW he looks absolutely adorable puppy.
Yes, he is. The docs had said the same - to control his weight, eventhough he is a little skinny. It is also a bit disconcerting is the way muscles are not developing on the lower muscular part of his hind legs. One of the pills given by the doc promotes muscular & tissue growth.

Sparky's loving, intelligent, protective and slightly naughty behaviour more than I had ever wished for. Sometime it looks as if everything is absolutely normal the way he runs and walks. But then, the awful truth surfaces when he tries to get up or when he tries to stay still on all four legs - he brings his hind legs close and forms a "V", struggling to put his body weigh to his hind legs and at times, he bunny hops on his hind legs.

It was devastating for us as a family, to know about his condition. We consider him a family member and are determined to give him the best possible care and to see that he lives a comfortable life. I won't ever forget the day when I first saw him as a 40 day old pup. He started wagging his tail and started biting me playfully, as if he connected with me instantly. On the way home, he slept peacefully in my lap, getting up in between to assure himself that I am there. Whenever I am at home, he would sit/sleep by my side, not that he doesn't go to others, but he prefers my company more than anyone else. And then to think that he has such a painful condition, that he'll have to spend his life with, is not only heart breaking but can bring tears to one's eyes, specially when he looks at you when trying to get up. The pain hasn't affected his guarding instinct. He sleeps most of the day, but at the slightest noise in the house compound or outside, he's up and alert. He runs to the door wanting to check the noise, to see that no one intruded his territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
The good thing in your case is that your dog is young so, treatment + exercise might help. All the best! If I get to know of any line of treatment or therapy that can help, I will definitely pm you.
I can feel your pain. Angel looks very expressive and can bring a smile to anyone's face.
Appreciate any help and advice I can get to make my GSD's life a little better.
Old 11th June 2013, 15:05   #3218
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, especially the fish keepers :P, I found this today:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-wp_000176.jpg

There are 37 of them and I can still see many in the bottom of a flower pot turned fish tank.

Though there were babies before, I would leave them there, and only a few grew up. Hence, I wanted to separate them this time and take care so that they wont be dying this time. Any tips and pointers? As of now I am giving them fresh water now and then and also will shortly feed them powdered food.
Old 13th June 2013, 21:29   #3219
BHPian

i just love this thread. I'm not allowed to have any pets in my home. ( i bought the 3*1.5*1 feet aquarium when my parents were gone out of town. Huge bomba-bomb when they returned )

When it comes to dogs, cats I'm a total noob. plz help

In my society there are three dogs(grandma, mom, son), one is less than an year old, but quite active.
I think i saw a very small black, very cute puppy yesterday. Must be the mom dog's sis.
very tiny a week or two old only
they are like "Owned by none, loved by everyone"

out of the three I regularly feed the two (mom and her son), pet them etc.
I want to know what should I feed them for monsoon season (u know cold weather) Eggs and veggies. I can't cook meat for them in my house, but i can buy it raw from a shop.
If you are suggesting meat, please tell me the variety, type approx cost and if any care to be taken while purchasing. Don't know anything about it either.

Also, I have never been with dogs till now, so what care I should take to avoid Ticks( i think that is what the small bugs are called). On dogs as well as not bringing them in my home with me.

I can't bathe the dogs. I live on the 10th floor and my parents won't allow a dog in home.
(actually I want to bring the little one (1 yr old) at my home for bathing , warm water, but I'm afraid that it's mom would follow or object too. also I don't know how to bathe a dog)
Old 13th June 2013, 22:24   #3220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
i just love this thread. I'm not allowed to have any pets in my home. ( i bought the 3*1.5*1 feet aquarium when my parents were gone out of town. Huge bomba-bomb when they returned )

In my society there are three dogs(grandma, mom, son), one is less than an year old, but quite active.
I think i saw a very small black, very cute puppy yesterday. Must be the mom dog's sis.
very tiny a week or two old only
they are like "Owned by none, loved by everyone"

out of the three I regularly feed the two (mom and her son), pet them etc.
I want to know what should I feed them for monsoon season (u know cold weather) Eggs and veggies. I can't cook meat for them in my house, but i can buy it raw from a shop.
If you are suggesting meat, please tell me the variety, type approx cost and if any care to be taken while purchasing. Don't know anything about it either.

Also, I have never been with dogs till now, so what care I should take to avoid Ticks( i think that is what the small bugs are called). On dogs as well as not bringing them in my home with me.

I can't bathe the dogs. I live on the 10th floor and my parents won't allow a dog in home.
(actually I want to bring the little one (1 yr old) at my home for bathing , warm water, but I'm afraid that it's mom would follow or object too. also I don't know how to bathe a dog)
Lovely to hear this. I can give you a few suggestions,

1. See if you can get them to a vet in your car. A CUPA or a PETA will do. They will de-worm them, check them out thoroughly, as well as de-tick them for you for free since these are strays. Please also give them an anti rabies vaccination.

2. In terms of food, you could go the safe/easy way - and just buy regular dog food kibbles, chews etc. Stuff they don't get off the street and feed them. These are things you can store away at home, wont raise any eyebrows, and you can always carry some in your pocket everytime you head downstairs and you can feed them. Trust me, they'll LOVE you for it.

3. For bath, why don't you try using the garden hose downstairs? Just hose them down, and shampoo them using dog shampoo, and rinse them off? This last bit is if you are feeling a little more adventurous
Old 14th June 2013, 04:50   #3221
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

What a wonderful person you must be! I am glad to know you and have such people along with us on this Forum. Your kindness and compassion does you great credit. God bless you for that! I wholeheartedly second redliner's suggestions. But for the puppy please try and use warm water to take the chill out because small pups and even grown dogs arerone to pneumonia if exposed too much to cold water. Himalaya makes a first class pet shampoo called Erina. This is the ideal shampoo touse as it is completely natural and it helps guard against ecto parasites like ticks and fleas.
Old 14th June 2013, 05:05   #3222
BHPian

Quote:
I know meds won't cure him. I have reading about it a lot lately, in the hope of finding something that could cure his condition. It seems the aim of the medicines is to make the dog life bit better by easing his pain and that the condition cannot be cured completely with anything, surgery included.
HI Kanchan,

Please join this group on facebook

The German Shepherd Community
, there are a lot of breeders and breed experts in the group, they will be able to guide you on how to go about it. Hope it helps.
Old 14th June 2013, 08:27   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Just for knowledge of the Bangalore pet owners.

The other day my 12 year old developed breathing difficulty and could not lie down. He also had a bad cough. So when I told my vet over the phone he directed me to the Govt. vet hospital at Hebbal.

This experience was a wonderful surprise. It was so clean, neat and professional I was shocked. They filled in a form and I waited till I was called in. Here a young intern took the history of the illness and while doing that a senior doc came and told him to take an ECG ASAP. (my vet had phoned the senior doc). On the ECG and examination they diagnosed heart failure and gave him lasix injection. After an hour they repeated it. Then prescribed some other tablets which I bought and gave my dog as scheduled.

Now he is absolutely fine but we have to take precautions as his heart is weak.

to the Govt. Vet hospital at Hebbal

PS. I was charged a princely sum of Rs 10/- for the whole treatment
Old 14th June 2013, 09:01   #3224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@motionfreak, that's really sweet of you. Though, I would suggest not to start anything that you can maintain. Specifically, if you start feeding them meat, then they would expect you to continue to feed that.

Every one who has a dog knows how difficult it is to get a dog to eat something he doesnt like. or to make him eat something other than what he gets a taste for.
Old 14th June 2013, 09:28   #3225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

Now he is absolutely fine but we have to take precautions as his heart is weak.

to the Govt. Vet hospital at Hebbal

PS. I was charged a princely sum of Rs 10/- for the whole treatment
All Govt. facilities are actually designed to be least expensive or no expense at all. But rarely we get a good experience there. Good to know about this, shall recommend to my Bangalore friends. Thanks for sharing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks