Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 22:11   #3286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Actually, what I do is feed him chicken/chicken liver or meat bones mixed with rice from Saturday to Monday as he rejects food most of the times if its the same. I tried mixing RC in the new food too but he is so smart that eats everything leaving rice and RC grains.

We have been giving him eggs with RC daily and these days he just goes for the eggs (that too after taking his sweet time) and leaves RC. Me and my dad are breaking our heads on this. He was dewormed in March and i am thinking if i should deworm now. He hates milk and curd. Thought curd rice will cool his stomach but even that didn't help as he refuses to eat it
Deworming is required to be done once in 3 months for dogs older than 6 months of age, so I guess you are overdue already, hehe. I doubt that this slight slip-up is the reason for his appetite tantrums now. Is he getting adequate exercise now? What is his exercise schedule, if I may know? If exercise is sufficient, they will often eat their meals without any fuss.

That said, to cure your present appetite problem, I strongly recommend trying Butch Blue label or white label. This is processed dog food (mainly meat), can be refrigerated and stored for use over 8-10 days. Mix ~100 gm of Butch with his RC daily feed and watch the results. More info here:
http://nz.butch.co.nz/Butch_Black_Wh...%20Blue_Labels

P.S - rice?? some dogs eat rice, but it is not staple diet for them. Their stomachs were not built for digesting starch, so this is not something I would bother about *lol*.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th July 2013 at 22:21.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:00   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Labs are big eaters and it surprises me that your one refuses to eat. Lack of apetite points to
. Lack of excercise
. Stomack problem
. General run down condition

You can do either of the following

1. Give him rice mixed with meat, and take it away after 15 minutes. If he leaves any, reduce the next feed quantity by this amount. As the amount of fice gets reduced each time, he will e eating less and less, so that at a certain doze his hunger will prompt him to eat what is given.

2. Stop rice and RC. Procure chicken carcass - what is left after they strip the meat for boneless chicken. (In Delhi it is sold for around 40-60/kg, 3-5 pieces/kg). Give one raw carcass a day. That is sufficient nutrition.

What we used to do is give our Lab when he was small is rice twice a day (quantity = small take away container ~ 4" dia, 4" high) and 1 carcass every other day.
Old 12th July 2013, 13:13   #3288
BHPian

Quote:

Actually, what I do is feed him chicken/chicken liver or meat bones mixed with rice from Saturday to Monday as he rejects food most of the times if its the same. I tried mixing RC in the new food too but he is so smart that eats everything leaving rice and RC grains.

We have been giving him eggs with RC daily and these days he just goes for the eggs (that too after taking his sweet time) and leaves RC. Me and my dad are breaking our heads on this. He was dewormed in March and i am thinking if i should deworm now. He hates milk and curd. Thought curd rice will cool his stomach but even that didn't help as he refuses to eat it

Absolutely right, will do it.
Also, don't leave his food out forever and after - he gets 15 minutes & then it is put away till his next meal. He may skip 2-3 meals but will get right back on track. He's taking his food for granted now is what it seems like from you saying 'taking his sweet time'
Old 12th July 2013, 20:26   #3289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Deworming is required to be done once in 3 months for dogs older than 6 months of age, so I guess you are overdue already, hehe. I doubt that this slight slip-up is the reason for his appetite tantrums now. Is he getting adequate exercise now? What is his exercise schedule, if I may know? If exercise is sufficient, they will often eat their meals without any fuss.
I am getting him de-wormed tomorrow. Hope this will help.

Regarding exercise, I take him for a 45 to 60 min walk every day early in the morning at 6 am. We have vast empty space near our locality where he runs, chases birds and plays fetch in this time. Dad takes him for his evening walk which is again for 45 to 60 minutes around 6 pm to the same place where he plays with his friends ( two labs ) for a brief period and they return. He keeps running up and down the stairs regularly everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I am very much interested in this product. Looks like it's not available in Hyd though, will have to ask my sister to get it when she comes to Hyderabad.

Thank you Karthik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Labs are big eaters and it surprises me that your one refuses to eat. Lack of apetite points to
. Lack of excercise
. Stomack problem
. General run down condition
He has good appetite, finishes meat within no time, the only issue is he is avoiding RC these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
2. Stop rice and RC. Procure chicken carcass - what is left after they strip the meat for boneless chicken. (In Delhi it is sold for around 40-60/kg, 3-5 pieces/kg). Give one raw carcass a day. That is sufficient nutrition.
Does this carcass include intestines and other waste organs ? I am little worried if they might upset his stomach. I might be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Also, don't leave his food out forever and after - he gets 15 minutes & then it is put away till his next meal. He may skip 2-3 meals but will get right back on track. He's taking his food for granted now is what it seems like from you saying 'taking his sweet time'
Yes, he is taking his food for granted these days, could be of health reasons too. Let me get him de-wormed and see how things turn.

Thank you all for those valuable points. Have a nice weekend
Old 12th July 2013, 23:16   #3290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Regarding exercise, I take him for a 45 to 60 min walk every day early in the morning at 6 am. We have vast empty space near our locality where he runs, chases birds and plays fetch in this time. Dad takes him for his evening walk which is again for 45 to 60 minutes around 6 pm to the same place where he plays with his friends ( two labs ) for a brief period and they return. He keeps running up and down the stairs regularly everyday.
That doesn't sound like too less exercise then . In fact even my golden doesn't get so much exercise everyday. De-worming may not have been the issue here. Does he get table scraps between meals?? Snacks and titbits, etc?? Cut off all human food and cut off all table scraps for now. You will see that he starts craving for mealtimes.

Quote:
I am very much interested in this product. Looks like it's not available in Hyd though, will have to ask my sister to get it when she comes to Hyderabad.

Thank you Karthik
It will be available in most pet stores Abhi. You could probably just call up a few big/popular pet shops at Hyderabad and find out who has stock of it. It is not very rare in the market, so should be available readily. I've seen even small pet shops store this in Bangalore.

Quote:
He has good appetite, finishes meat within no time, the only issue is he is avoiding RC these days.
Mixing butch should dispatch this problem permanently . Trust me, this formula has worked wonders on many dogs I know.

Quote:
Does this carcass include intestines and other waste organs ? I am little worried if they might upset his stomach. I might be wrong though.
I strongly disagree with the practice of feeding raw red meat on a regular basis. Dogs being carnivores naturally will be able to eat and digest it without any issues. However, that is not the issue here. What I would be more worried about is the hygiene levels of the place where you source your carcasses from. It is pretty easy to pickup lots of parasites and germs from such carcasses, and in the end it is the dog which will suffer if there is some infection or contamination due to eating the chicken carcass. Occasionally it should be ok from a hygiene perspective, but not on daily basis.

By the way, RC (and any equivalent dog food) is formulated to include most of the nutrients of red meat along with many other things, so trust me he is not missing out on anything nutritionally, apart from probably the carnivorous fun of biting through the carcass.

Quote:
Yes, he is taking his food for granted these days, could be of health reasons too. Let me get him de-wormed and see how things turn.
If the problem was due to worms, you would also notice him losing weight and becoming skinny. If this is not a symptom now, de-worming may not be the cause. Most dogs go through this moody phase when they start taking things for granted and fuss around sometimes. It usually has to do with a lack of exercise, or overfeeding more than the required quantity, or both. Occasionally happens due to even boredom with diet, yes. But when they are hungry with lots of exercise, they will rarely fuss. In fact gun dogs like the Labrador retriever become gluttons, often prone to becoming obese.

Quote:
Glad to be of help. Nice weekend to you too!

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th July 2013 at 23:18.
Old 13th July 2013, 10:51   #3291
Senior - BHPian

New addition to the family - Max !
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-max.jpg  

Old 13th July 2013, 10:57   #3292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. That means that he is not really interested in RC. Stop it. Try rice formula that I give. In brief it contains rice, vegetables, a bit of Dal, Haldi, Garlic and a cople of tea spoons of oil. The preferred rice is Parboiled variety, the coarser (and cheaper) the better.

2. No the carcass is just bones. Here you get it plain or with stomack/liver. In general we get it from known sources who have trimmed the chicken then or at the most a couple of hours before. If the chicken is good, the carcass will also be good. Another variation is to buy whole broiler frozen chicken and trim all the meat (use it in bone less dishes) and give the carcass to the dog.

3. Dogs like children do take meals for granted, especially if you force them. The only remedy in both the cases is to hold back on the food, till they realise that it is desirable and not some thing thrust on them.

There is a lot of debate on pros and cons of packaged dog food on the net. Yes the packaged food comes with all necessary nutrients, but after some time it becomes monotonous. Just as we humans would get tired of the same diet day in and day out, so do animals. As the packaged food is dry you have to ensure that plenty of water is mixed, else the dry food will expand in stomach and lead to "bloated stomach and tangled intestines".
http://avetsguidetolife.blogspot.in/...ing-bloat.html
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-pet-dogs.aspx

In wild their food is not only varied but does not come at the same time of the day. So a bit of variety is necessary. To the basic diet add a few tit bits to relieve the monotony.

I feed my Lab raw meat regularly. Started with 3kg/week at six months and now tapered to 1/2 kg/week now. He is now eight years old and has a lean look and shiny coat. Still there are some who think it is bad, so here are some links for and against raw meat in dog diet
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/raw...fits-and-risks
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...diet-for-pets/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle4401112/
http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html
http://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/raw-debate/756
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/0...s-it-worth-it/
Old 13th July 2013, 11:06   #3293
BHPian

Hey, sorry to login late into this one. I have two male Dachshunds. Kaku and Bholu are now three years old and form an integral part of our family. They were born in Bangalore and have now relocated with us to Delhi. Posting some pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image2021397004.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image2135975151.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image3299504536.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image2516338981.jpg  

Old 13th July 2013, 16:05   #3294
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pic of Nupur and the dogs Abhishek. We'll plan a meet in Dehradun sometime. You should meet our Rottweiler duo.
Old 16th July 2013, 20:44   #3295
BHPian

Thanks Navpreet, you got me by surprise here ! Just checked with Nupur on the connection, we will definitely plan to meet up in Dehradun the next time we visit.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:16   #3296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I came back night before last from a week long business trip to find a strange, good natured young black and white dog in the neighbourhood.
As promised here are the pictures of my hound-mix Tequila. She's almost 3 years old and is one of 3 animals in the house - the others are an 11 year old Lab and an adopted black cat.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image1268735373.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image356349739.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image4240911348.jpg
Old 23rd July 2013, 22:05   #3297
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post

As promised here are the pictures of my hound-mix Tequila. She's almost 3 years old and is one of 3 animals in the house - the others are an 11 year old Lab and an adopted black cat.
Nice dog indeed.
Dogs are such good creatures.
Here are my two pets after a nice bath...naughty children indeed...

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image2051136487.jpg
Old 24th July 2013, 15:44   #3298
BHPian

What's the world coming to? If what is reported in this article is true, then that man (doesn't deserve to be called one) doesn't deserve to be part of any civilised society.

Quote:
A motorist crushed a stray dog twice under his blue sedan on the Juhu Church Road on Tuesday afternoon and drove off.

A witness told Mirror that the man stopped his car immediately after running over the dog the first time and stepped out smiling.

Instead of helping the dying dog, the driver glanced cursorily at its condition, got back inside and reversed the vehicle — running over it again. He then sped off.
Source: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/o...w/21300209.cms
Old 26th July 2013, 10:24   #3299
BHPian

I have been with dogs ever since i was young and i never considered any animal to be a pet. I call them a companion as they are always there for me. I hand-reared a couple of pups and they used to think i was their mom . They used to whine and howl if i wasn't near and only when i placed them on the lap and let them suck on my finger will they go to sleep. They died an early death thanks to an idiot who took them away from me and placed it inside a box and tossed them from a few stories tall building under construction. My blood still boils when i think of it. However, even now, the dogs in my apartments, recently a doggie became very keen on becoming a friend and needless to say, i said yes (big grin). She recently gave birth to a litter of three nice,plump and round pups who think they have two moms (*giggles*).

They call to me and the very look in their eyes just melts my heart and i just tend to stay with them for a lot of time. Currently, my fingers are all they need and sometimes when i cradle them, they just drift off into sleep in the most loveliest of ways. Exotic breeds or not, all dogs are loving.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:39   #3300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
What's the world coming to? If what is reported in this article is true, then that man (doesn't deserve to be called one) doesn't deserve to be part of any civilised society.

Source: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/o...w/21300209.cms
Really unfortunate to have such sadists on the road. He probably wanted to end its misery instead of letting it suffer the pain from injury, but it shows his scant respect for animals. The wisest thing to do (even if he didn't want to pickup the injured animal) would have been to call CUPA or some such animal rescue centre when he hit the dog. Had a similar 'murder' happened in the USA, he would have probably been arrested and ordered to do community service.

There are no animal welfare laws in this country, and firstly there is no protection to prevent animals from straying/crossing onto the roads, plus every town has an overpopulation of strays here. A drive down any highway in India is heart-breaking for animal lovers, with so many stray dog carcasses lying crushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
She recently gave birth to a litter of three nice,plump and round pups who think they have two moms (*giggles*).
Thank god they don't think you are the Dad . Just kidding, hehe.

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th July 2013 at 11:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks