Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 13:29   #3391
BHPian

Re: Travelling to USA with a Pet Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,

My uncle in Boston would like to bring the pet Cat from India. What are the formalities we need to check before travel.
You can consider visiting this link for more details http://furryflyers.com/pet_export_worldwide.html
Old 14th October 2013, 15:04   #3392
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Angel (my pet 7.5 YO female lab) suffered a seizure in the morning. Angel was sleeping in my room in front of the AC and at around 7.30 AM, I heard some noise as if Angel was in discomfort. I saw her fore limbs were stiff and her neck was craning backwards. She was on her side and struggling to get up. She was definitely in pain. I held her by her chest and started patting her head, and then called out for my mom. Mom came rushing to my room and started rubbing angel's paws. She asked my sister to bring some cold water and then she sprinkled cold water on Angel's face. Angel sat normally after 2-3 minutes. She went out to answer the nature's call and seemed completely normal. I called the Vet and took her to his clinic by 8 AM. The Vet arrived by 8.15 and checked. He suspected cardiac arrest but found temperature, heart-beat, pulse rate, to be absolutely normal. He has taken Angel's blood sample for detailed tests as it might also be a case of low glucose level in blood.

The symptoms are very close to that of cardiac arrest but isn't 7.5 years too young for heart disease? Has anyone here experienced something similar? Please let us know any precautions that we should take. Her energy levels were normal when we took her to the Vet but now she looks very tired and is just wagging her tail while lying down, when we call her.
Old 14th October 2013, 15:48   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Take a look at the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
callvvijay - I would suggest you to keep an eye on her activities today & if she isn't back to normal by tomorrow morning would suggest you to take her to the vet for checkup. Hope she's fine by t'row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The cat may have licked and ingested some chemicals sprayed. As suggested wait for a day and then if the cat is still sick give her antidode after consulting the Vet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If there is a possibility of chemical ingestion, I wouldn't wait. Better go straight to the vet.
All, sorry for this very late reply and thanks for your advice.

I had called the doctor again on Monday who prescribed 'Silybon' syrup to be given 1ml-twice a day using a syringe. Following her suggestion made wonders. By Wednesday morning itself, Sony was all ready - waking me up early in the morning, playing around and was almost back to normal. .

As Sony is due to get her next shot of vaccine, I will be taking her to the doc over this coming weekend.

I also want to reiterate on how good the doctor - Dr.Priya Govind - is, which I had already posted earlier (way back in Nov'11 when I used to have 3 kittens).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2575356

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 14th October 2013, 16:10   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
All, sorry for this very late reply and thanks for your advice.

I had called the doctor again on Monday who prescribed 'Silybon' syrup to be given 1ml-twice a day using a syringe. Following her suggestion made wonders. By Wednesday morning itself, Sony was all ready - waking me up early in the morning, playing around and was almost back to normal. .

Vijay
Hi vijay - glad to hear Sony has completely recovered. Take care
Old 14th October 2013, 18:12   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
I also want to reiterate on how good the doctor - Dr.Priya Govind
Oh, she is the best you have here in madras. she was my vet too.haven't got another dog after the last one passed away. Know her well, so your in safe hands
Old 14th October 2013, 21:02   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Oh, she is the best you have here in madras. she was my vet too.haven't got another dog after the last one passed away. Know her well, so your in safe hands
Yeah., seeing the number of patients coming to her place, one can easily understand how famous she will be in Chennai. She also schedules surgeries in the early mornings so that her patients get the full attention of their care-takers over the day time. All my 3 kittens were operated (neutered) by her by around 6am - allowing me to keep a close watch on them during the day.

BTW, just saw your profile and got to know that you are in Kilpauk itself. Lucky you!! I am staying in Nanganallur - a good 13kms away from the doctor's place. However, I make it a point to drive down to her just for the care she shows.

Cheers!
Old 14th October 2013, 23:56   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
The symptoms are very close to that of cardiac arrest but isn't 7.5 years too young for heart disease? Has anyone here experienced something similar? Please let us know any precautions that we should take. Her energy levels were normal when we took her to the Vet but now she looks very tired and is just wagging her tail while lying down, when we call her.
Hi. I went through this with my 10 yo lab. Labs bred in India are prone to epileptic seizures. The vet was unable to isolate seizure from cardiac event as my lab also has a murmur. Though I'm not a fab of feeding my dogs meds- he's on gardenal daily for seizures as well as enam for blood pressure, Arjuna from Himalaya med for blood circulation as well as an omega 3 serum. Once on gardenal buzo my lab never had an episode & infact this year passed a pre-operative tests for a ear op with flying colours. Id keep a sharp eye out for further episodes.
Old 27th October 2013, 13:38   #3398
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
You're welcome samikc !! I can understand your dilemma since I'm also experiencing the same with Bruno. Pl do let me know your proposed route / travel plan, I'll definitely get you accommodation at Hyderabad.
Hi samikc - you can stay at Hotel Silver Park in Ameerpet, Hyderabad. The accommodation may be slightly expensive as they would allow pet only in their Silver Suite A/c room which would cost INR 2900 + taxes.

Spoke to them now & confirmed this over phone. pl check this link http://www.hotelsilverpark.in/ . If you intend to stay here during travel then pl confirm the booking in advance for the suite.
Old 10th November 2013, 10:10   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@Dreams: trust me on this. getting confidence is much more easier in a tank than from a bowl. you can give them better room to move about, better filtration as well fish bowls can be awesome to keep plants in
Finally got a imported fish tank with top lid and filter motors.
Visited an aquarium yesterday and asusual the shopkeeper wasnt able to suggest which fish can play in my tank. The one's which impressed me are the below,

Black Oscars - 200/pair
White Oscars - 300/pair
Red Tail - 150/pair
Silver Shark - 600/pair
Clown Fish - 500 each
Flowerhorn (Small) - 5000 each
Flowerhorn (Large) - 30000 each
Fighter (Imported) - 100 each
Fighter - 50 each

Which of the above fishes can survive in my tank and is the price reasonable ?

The size of my tank is 39.5 x 27.5 x 47

Here is a snap..sorry for the bad quality.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20131110_100820.jpg
Old 10th November 2013, 11:38   #3400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Finally got a imported fish tank with top lid and filter motorsWhich of the above fishes can survive in my tank and is the price reasonable ?

The size of my tank is 39.5 x 27.5 x 47

Here is a snap..sorry for the bad quality.

Attachment 1163717
If the size is in centimetres I am afraid none of the above fish will be comfortable. Oscars, flowerhorns grow big very soon and either you have to change the fish or the tank. Hence, if you are not ready for that you can buy tetras, barbs or such small sized schooling fish and add some driftwood, plants and rocks to make the tank look beautiful.
Old 10th November 2013, 12:05   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

If the size is in centimetres I am afraid none of the above fish will be comfortable. Oscars, flowerhorns grow big very soon and either you have to change the fish or the tank. Hence, if you are not ready for that you can buy tetras, barbs or such small sized schooling fish and add some driftwood, plants and rocks to make the tank look beautiful.
Yes, the size is in cm.
How about red tail, silver shark and fighters?
BTW, is the rate nominal?
Old 10th November 2013, 18:33   #3402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If the sizes were in inches, they would be just about minimum. A tank for larger fish should be at least 5 feet, preferably 6 feet long. The depth and width of 12 to 18 inches is adequate, though a 2 foot tall tank will give the fish a lot of space for antics.

Last edited by Aroy : 10th November 2013 at 18:36.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:27   #3403
Senior - BHPian

@Dreams: For that tank size, i would suggest you have one prize winning fighter

Or set up a mini planted tank and get some neon tetras.
Old 16th November 2013, 10:12   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@Dreams: For that tank size, i would suggest you have one prize winning fighter

Or set up a mini planted tank and get some neon tetras.
I have took the plunge in buying the oscars. 5 in quantity and each 3"
They are one good looking, well behaved fish I have ever came across.
Once I turn on the lights in the tank, they all travel backwards in unison and hide behind the plants. Once I turn it off, they do the reverse. Its lovely to watch.
Food wise, I have fed him the normal pellet foods, carrot and prawn. They gulp them in seconds. But, there is a slightly bigger fish, which dominates the lot. It is very active and eats the max food available in the tank. I have decided to feed each fish separating the others. This way, each can get their round of food.
Was going through some oscar community and came to know about the hikari cichlid foods. How are they? Planning to get them off from eBay, since didnt find them in any shop in Hyderabad.

Any suggestions ?
Old 16th November 2013, 10:28   #3405
Senior - BHPian

Dude why do you even bother coming in here asking for advice only to ignore them? Your tank is little bit more than a foot. Oscars grow more than that. They are messy eaters and shitters and require good filtration and water conditions to thrive in.

If you like monster fishes then get monster tanks. What you have done now is you have bought a great dane puppy when you are living in a single bedroom flat!

And 5 of them?! Oh man oh man why dude why? :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks