Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 00:16   #3451
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Am in an emotional dilemma here. Please help.

We are blessed with a baby boy in May this year and my wife who is in her mom's place now is all set to come back to my place with the kid.

With a cat - Sony - at our place, the inevitable question has now come up. How can we have have a cat at home when there is a kid who is about to start crawling and would put in his mouth anything that's available on the floor? More importantly, Sony sheds a lot of hair (guess all the cats does this) and this is a major cause of worry for us.

Suggestions/advice welcome.
Old 30th November 2013, 01:05   #3452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

We are blessed with a baby boy in May this year and my wife who is in her mom's place now is all set to come back to my place with the kid.

With a cat - Sony - at our place, the inevitable question has now come up. How can we have have a cat at home when there is a kid who is about to start crawling and would put in his mouth anything that's available on the floor? More importantly, Sony sheds a lot of hair (guess all the cats does this) and this is a major cause of worry for us.

Very simple.. keep the cat with your family members, or close relatives permanently.

Congrats on the baby boy.

Last edited by Googleman : 30th November 2013 at 01:06.
Old 30th November 2013, 08:41   #3453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman View Post
Last month I was recommended to PetSpace on Sarjapura Road and found that to be really good. It is just past the Wipro Office. They charge Rs. 450/- per day. The place is big, as big or bigger than Pet Steppin.
Petspace is a good place. they take care of dogs very much. i leave my lab there since past 2 years now and really no complaints so far. The only problem is if your dog is mischievous they wont allow him/her to socialize with other dogs and isolate him/her in a separate kennel. But the good part is they dont hide this from you and tell you frankly. My dog has got bad habit of mounting and he got this above treatment from petspace
Old 30th November 2013, 09:47   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
How does this work? Some kind of a collar for dogs?

Also it says 'Size - Medium, for dogs upto 19 kg', how about big dogs?
Yes this is collar made of rubber which is impregnated with medicines. The medicines get released slowly from the collar.

Large size: http://www.dogspot.in/kiltix-large/

Product website: http://www.bayergroupindia.com/kiltix.htm
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:41   #3455
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Where do I get "Pearl Arowana" in Bangalore? How much does it cost? I need it for a friend in Kochi. Any tips on transporting?

Please advise.

Last edited by coolclouds : 2nd December 2013 at 09:43.
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:49   #3456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Classic dilemma of a pet owner who suddenly has a kid.
Now, I was born into a house which had two large Alsatians who were my Mum and Dad's first "children". When I arrived, were they banished?
No way!!

I lay in my crib and they lay beneath my crib, on guard. When I began to crawl, they crawled with me. When I started to walk and talk, they walked with me.

During diwali, when a few crackers were burst outside the house for base level religious purposes, these two and I used to sit under one of the beds.

When they passed on, I was devastated, as were the rest of the family. Of course, we have always had pets even after those two and I still have pets.

Nothing at all went wrong with me or my sibling just because there were large and furry pets around the house! If anything, we grew to learn about, love and respect the animal world and nature a lot more than perhaps we would have, had we not had pets at all!

Bottom-line: Dogs and Cats and children can co-exist perfectly peacefully with absolutely ZERO ill effects on the child. It is extremely cruel and very sad indeed to banish a once-loved pet in favour of a brand new brat. It should NOT be a case of Either Or. The two different species can co-exist in great harmony.

Therefore, do not banish your cat. Allow the child to grow up with the pet and believe me, the child will be a better human being for the experience!

Animals are probably God's Greatest creation and Dogs/Cats amongst the most "saintly" of them all.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:22   #3457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Guys, Where do I get "Pearl Arowana" in Bangalore? How much does it cost? I need it for a friend in Kochi. Any tips on transporting?

Please advise.
Jardini or the Australian Arowana is often called as the Pearl Arowana here They are the most aggressive of aros.

And why would your friend need you to ship it from B'lore when he could pick it up in Kochi itself? They are not very rare unlike the Asians.

But i think Gulmarg in Koramangala would be a good place to start. In kochi ask your friend to visit the shop before GCDA, Kadavanthara.
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:29   #3458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Please advise.
I second deathwalkr. Better get it in Kochi itself. Its quite common. Transportation of such fish might not be an easy stuff especially when you have checking points near Karnataka border. Not sure if carrying such fish is a legal activity. Though this breed may not be endangered, or banned etc but still it will invite some doubts to the officials in case they check the car or so. If you still want to transport it you need to get a bucket that is quite big, so that the fish can at least go around and get some breathing space. Preferably a bucket with a lid. Make a few holes on the lid and Fill the bucket partially with water. Go easy on humps and potholes as well as accelaration and braking.

If the arowana is too small, less than 6 inches you can carry it in a big plastic cover but you will have to change the water every hour or two max.
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:32   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Jardini or the Australian Arowana is often called as the Pearl Arowana here They are the most aggressive of aros.

And why would your friend need you to ship it from B'lore when he could pick it up in Kochi itself? They are not very rare unlike the Asians.

But i think Gulmarg in Koramangala would be a good place to start. In kochi ask your friend to visit the shop before GCDA, Kadavanthara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I second deathwalkr. Better get it in Kochi itself. Its quite common. Transportation of such fish might not be an easy stuff especially when you have checking points near Karnataka border. Not sure if carrying such fish is a legal activity. Though this breed may not be endangered, or banned etc but still it will invite some doubts to the officials in case they check the car or so. If you still want to transport it you need to get a bucket that is quite big, so that the fish can at least go around and get some breathing space. Preferably a bucket with a lid. Make a few holes on the lid and Fill the bucket partially with water. Go easy on humps and potholes as well as accelaration and braking.

If the arowana is too small, less than 6 inches you can carry it in a big plastic cover but you will have to change the water every hour or two max.
Thank you so much!!

I think he checked with some Kochi shops but couldn't find one. I will tell him to check at the place near GCDA.

Thank you once again!
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:22   #3460
BHPian

We have two persian cats. My company has offered me to relocate to US. My question is how can we transport our cats safely with us. What I read on internet is pets can only travel in cargo and not in passenger cabin. I honestly do not think they will be able to travel in cargo. Is anyone aware of any airline which will allow cats to travel with us?

Giving them to relatives/friends is out of question.
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:00   #3461
Team-BHP Support

She is not my pet but belongs to a friend of mine. She's a Beagle called Bugz and I drove all the way to Bombay last month, just to see this cutie pie. Since dogs grow up pretty soon, I could hardly resist waiting so we took a half-day off on a Saturday and drove down to Bombay early morn. She was a month old by then. What an adorable little creature! She was very playful when we had been there and at the end of day, became very tired and crashed pretty soon.

The Beagle has a very different set of eyes compared to the other dogs I have seen so far - it appears to be very emotional from the looks of it. These were some of the snaps clicked:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1417747_10152329798507785_847083950_o.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1401298_10152344062747785_703950078_o.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1398834_10152329798492785_470919771_o.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1009213_10152373913884046_109278631_o.jpg

The best part is, her owners have taught her to take a leak/crap inside her cage. And this dog just leaves the grab and goes all by itself into the cage to do that! I was completely taken aback when I noticed this. I never knew they tend to learn and pick up all this at such a tender age!
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:27   #3462
BHPian

Quote:

Dont think anyone could add anymore to Shankar.Balan's reply to you,they can definitely coexist.

I was in the same situation in 2009 and was advised to give our then 6 year old Lab on adoption.

This picture was taken sometime in end 2011 I believe and one of my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-430254.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2013, 02:43   #3463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
We have two persian cats. My company has offered me to relocate to US. My question is how can we transport our cats safely with us. What I read on internet is pets can only travel in cargo and not in passenger cabin. I honestly do not think they will be able to travel in cargo. Is anyone aware of any airline which will allow cats to travel with us? Giving them to relatives/friends is out of question.
Do check with Lufthansa. They may be among the only airlines capable of handling the pets safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Dont think anyone could add anymore to Shankar.Balan's reply to you,they can definitely coexist. I was in the same situation in 2009 and was advised to give our then 6 year old Lab on adoption. This picture was taken sometime in end 2011 I believe and one of my favorite.
It would have been terrible for the dog to have been given away at 6 years! The poor thing would have been heartbroken at being abandoned. With that picture aren't you glad you held on to your pet?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd December 2013 at 10:36.
Old 3rd December 2013, 03:02   #3464
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
We have two persian cats. My company has offered me to relocate to US. My question is how can we transport our cats safely with us. What I read on internet is pets can only travel in cargo and not in passenger cabin. I honestly do not think they will be able to travel in cargo. Is anyone aware of any airline which will allow cats to travel with us?
Giving them to relatives/friends is out of question.
Airline travel should not be an issue. There are several tips online to ensure pets can travel in a crate/cargo safely.
You need to go through all the CDC and Dept. of agriculture regulations. Make sure you don't land here without all the regulatory approvals/paperwork.
http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation...nimalToUs.html

Last edited by prasadee : 3rd December 2013 at 03:09.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:03   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It would have been terrible for the dog to have been given away at 6 years! The poor thing would have been heartbroken at being abandoned. With that picture aren't you glad you held on to your pet?
Oh yeah.Me and my wife never had giving Pepsi away on our minds.That was suggested to us and we said No.

It was really a joy to see my son grow up with a pet around and learn to love them at a young age.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks