Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 19:49   #3571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Hi all, As I do not have any pet so I just spend time watching these cute dogs and today I am posting a video which everyone of you who owns a dog would love and also laugh about. This video captures the various guilty moments between dogs and their owners. Just feels so cute to see these four-legged "loyalists".

Thanks

AD

Source: Youtube
Old 6th March 2014, 10:35   #3572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Great to hear that and i am too a GSD lover. Here are the pictures of my girl.
She looks lovely . I am in need of a GSD , could you please help me to choose a healthy one?
Old 6th March 2014, 15:43   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2prashan View Post
This is our pet! She is 3 years old. She is a little afraid to travel, one thing I am training her these days.

You know what. We have to spoon feed her. Else it won't eat!! That sounds funny but I've heard most Pomeranians behaves this way after a couple of years.
Its true that they run away from eating, my Spitz is about 8 years of age and we spoon feed him too!
Attaching a few pics of my German Shepard and German Spitz. The Spitz loves riding in the car but sadly the German Shepherd has weak hind legs so he's not permitted a lot of activities.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1394100662493.jpgTeam-BHPians and their Pets-1394100685585.jpgTeam-BHPians and their Pets-1394100704554.jpg
Old 7th March 2014, 02:53   #3574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_subbiah View Post
She looks lovely . I am in need of a GSD , could you please help me to choose a healthy one?
I will be more than happy to help a fellow bhpian. What kind of routine have you in mind for the dog and what is the level of your availability to look after the dog?
Generally GSD's are very demanding if you have a purebred. One needs to take them or 1~2KM walks every day a couple of times. Purebreds need to be fed also with quite fresh meat and quality food.
Let me know your inputs!
Old 7th March 2014, 10:56   #3575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
I will be more than happy to help a fellow bhpian. What kind of routine have you in mind for the dog and what is the level of your availability to look after the dog?
Generally GSD's are very demanding if you have a purebred. One needs to take them or 1~2KM walks every day a couple of times. Purebreds need to be fed also with quite fresh meat and quality food.
Let me know your inputs!
[COLOR=black][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I am in Chennai for week days and will be in native for weekends and holidays. The GSD will be in my home down where my parents and family is there to look after. This is going to be my second dog. We have Derby (male Labrador his photo will be in the forum) at home now, he goes every day walking with my mother, but he is too good to everyone including the strangers :-). Hence I need a guard dog so the GSD .[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 8th March 2014, 00:15   #3576
BHPian

How do I find my male cocker spaniel a mate in mumbai? I am aware that most dogs are fixed and thats what I am also asked to do, but I just want my dog to experience the act of mating. I think we owe it to them. I do not ask for money or puppies or anything, just the experience for my dog. How do I go about finding a mate?
Old 9th March 2014, 13:35   #3577
BHPian

For all pet lovers there is a tele program on :

a. DD National : Pet Care : Sat 6.30 PM. Informatic.
b. NDTV good times : Heavy Petting / "Dogs with jobs" : Sunday 11.30am ( or is it 11.00am?). Heavy petting was good when keith (host before Paras tomar) used to host it.

Last edited by max8791 : 9th March 2014 at 13:38.
Old 9th March 2014, 19:46   #3578
BHPian

Hello guys, this is Shackles, our 5 year old Labrador retriever. Unlike the other members of his breed he ain't a voracious eater. He sticks to a balanced diet and keeps himself in top shape. He's very nimble and playful, loves to play fetch all the time. He makes himself comfortable in a body-flattened-to-the floor posture for naps. Just thought of introducing him to all pet loving-petrol heads
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image-2.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image-1.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image.jpg
Old 9th March 2014, 20:25   #3579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Hello guys, this is Shackles, our 5 year old Labrador retriever. Unlike the other members of his breed he ain't a voracious eater. He sticks to a balanced diet and keeps himself in top shape. He's very nimble and playful, loves to play fetch all the time. He makes himself comfortable in a body-flattened-to-the floor posture for naps.
such a nice fella.

Was that him barking and calling for his food or just voicing his opinion?
Old 9th March 2014, 21:11   #3580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Was that him barking and calling for his food or just voicing his opinion?
He was just yawning. He allows me to take snaps only when he's tired and sleepy. Believe me or not he never calls for food, he just woofs whenever he need some grooming or feel like playing fetch!
Old 11th March 2014, 12:29   #3581
BHPian

This may be a long post.

Years ago in Bangalore we had an unneutered stray whom my grand ma called 'Gundu'. After a few years he developed some sort of a condition- He was always salivating and had a bad odour in his mouth. The house used to be filled with this. After months of regular visits to the Vet (We had an Omni back then 2 people lad to hold him in the car and spread a blanket on the seats for his constant salivating) we were told that his condition is incurable, it could be dangerous to a family member now and we were better off giving him to SPCA.

If you have visited any of those barracks in SPCA, you will realise that animals and dogs in particular are not just beasts driven by instincts. They do lead a much richer life and capable of creating bonds and feelings.
The shelter home was a long barrack seating about 20 dogs on each side of the room,3-4 feet gap inbetween dogs, Gundu's place was at the end. The room was full of dogs, all silent, forlorn looking and just sitting around.There were dogs from all breeds, a few great danes towered over others. I guess all abandoned by owners whose hands were forced. As I entered they all got up and started barking and staring, not at me but at gundu. With a heavy heart we had to leave him there. Ofcourse he wouldn't let us go and kept wailing. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to be left in a new place when one is unwell. A few days later we were told that he had passed away. Gundu had stopped taking either food or water, a case of depression we were told.

A few months later we got ourselves a German shepherd. My grand ma again named hum Gundu. A lovely dog and he was with us for close to 10 years. He passed away peacefully and we buried him right next to our house.

2 years ago, we had a new family member. A lab retriever, who is now a healthy, young adult.

All this was in Bangalore and now i'm in Chennai. After losing two friends and at that time swearing--never ever, im again looking to get a pet for myself. Talk about a dog's tail never getting straight . I work out of home and i feel that a pet will make a good companion.

I'm looking for suggestions from fello BHPians on where I can find a good Lab retreiver in Chennai (or any other one you can suggest except GSD, great dane or a pug).

ps: attached is a pic of our lab in Bangalore.

Thanks much in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-tiger.jpg  

Old 25th March 2014, 20:42   #3582
BHPian

Quick advice.

I think my 2 year lab got diarrhea since yesterday morning. I see his stools completely loose and watery. He was given chicken liver and chicken on Sunday afternoon and evening which is his usual dose on Sunday and Mondays. I have given him one sporlac tablet this morning and curd rice for food. Will know his condition as soon as I reach home.

Any advice ?

Regards,
Abhi
Old 25th March 2014, 23:18   #3583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Quick advice.

I think my 2 year lab got diarrhea since yesterday morning. I see his stools completely loose and watery. He was given chicken liver and chicken on Sunday afternoon and evening which is his usual dose on Sunday and Mondays. I have given him one sporlac tablet this morning and curd rice for food. Will know his condition as soon as I reach home.

Any advice ?

Regards,
Abhi
My gsd has a bad stomach atleast twice a month and this problem with him has been there from the very beginning. We had consulted the vet and he asked us not to give him any milk.
If its the first time for your dog then wait and see if the tablet helps. If he still has a bad stomach then consult the vet.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:53   #3584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Quick advice.

Any advice ?

Regards,
Abhi
Dogs in my experience get a loose stomach at least one a month or so. In my case it comes and goes in a day. What I have noticed is that
. Bones tighten up the stool, to the extent that the stool can become hard and powdery.
. Rice also tightens up the stool.
. Wheat products - roti, puri etc result in a looser stool.
. Milk and vegetables also result in a looser stool.

I would advise you to avoid medicines unless the situation goes out of hand. The body react to mild poisons (whether in food or otherwise) and expels them in form of loose stool (that is semi digested/undigested food) so that is not absorbed by the body. Happens to humans also. Giving medicine will not let the body do its job and may aggravate the problem at a later stage.

Last edited by Aroy : 26th March 2014 at 11:54.
Old 26th March 2014, 14:25   #3585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Giving medicine will not let the body do its job and may aggravate the problem at a later stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
If he still has a bad stomach then consult the vet.
Thank you for your inputs. Condition remains the same but just that the frequency has reduced. Also, the texture has turned from fully watery to semi.

Sporlac medication is being continued. He is served only curd rice for now.

Will take him to the vet tomorrow. The grouse I have with the vets here is everyone directly start with anti-biotics and heavy doses. Huge dearth of experienced vets at my location (Secunderabad).

Here is he my 2 year baby boy Brownie

The sandal you see in the picture is my wife's which was chewed by him
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-b.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks