Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2014, 19:46   #3586
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Thank you for your inputs. Condition remains the same but just that the frequency has reduced. Also, the texture has turned from fully watery to semi.
Try giving him Gutwell along with rice. This seems to be working well for my Lab (Bruno). This can be given on & off but don't give regularly.

Quote:
Will take him to the vet tomorrow. The grouse I have with the vets here is everyone directly start with anti-biotics and heavy doses. Huge dearth of experienced vets at my location (Secunderabad).
I reside at secunderabad too & would hikely recommend you to meet Dr Praveen Kumar at Punjagutta. I experienced similar issues while treating Bruno & finally we found all answers after we visited Dr Praveen. He consults on Sunday's too until 1300 hrs. You can call him for an an appointment link

Quote:
Here is he my 2 year baby boy Brownie
He is very cute
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:58   #3587
BHPian

Looking for some help fellow pet loving bhpians!

We have planned to leave for my hometown for 4 days during the Easter holidays to visit my parents and we have with us 4 friendly & playful pet dogs here in Bangalore whom we are looking to accomodate during that time.
They live with us inside our home and in the past, in case we travelled, we have housed them in boarding kennels nearby where they wont be caged or leashed. However the experience was not too good at times as we would find ticks & fleas on their body when we received them, and on another instance they were extremely thirsty and searching for water once they were brought home from the boarders.
In all honesty, we are skeptical to put them up in a boarding kennel again. We are however thinking as an option if any bhpian(s) would like to take care of them in our absence at his/her residence or if the bhpain would like to stay at our residence for the 4 days.
Not sure how you guys would take this offer but any help is welcome.
Attached pics of the 4 dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0007.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0391.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2014, 17:43   #3588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Looking for some help fellow pet loving bhpians!

We have planned to leave for my hometown for 4 days during the Easter holidays to visit my parents and we have with us 4 friendly & playful pet dogs here in Bangalore whom we are looking to accomodate during that time.
They live with us inside our home and in the past, in case we travelled, we have housed them in boarding kennels nearby where they wont be caged or leashed. However the experience was not too good at times as we would find ticks & fleas on their body when we received them, and on another instance they were extremely thirsty and searching for water once they were brought home from the boarders.
In all honesty, we are skeptical to put them up in a boarding kennel again. We are however thinking as an option if any bhpian(s) would like to take care of them in our absence at his/her residence or if the bhpain would like to stay at our residence for the 4 days.
Not sure how you guys would take this offer but any help is welcome.
Attached pics of the 4 dogs.
I'm coming to Bangalore on the 10th of this month and will be there for more than a month. I'll be joining coaching classes there.
I have my two best buddies (one gsd and one Spitz) here whom I'm gonna stay away from for more than a month for the first time so I could really use some company.
I'm not so sure if can accommodate your dogs as my sister's apartment is not too big but if you could tell me where do you stay and when are you exactly going to your home town, then I'll try and let you know if I can indeed look after them.
Old 3rd April 2014, 13:23   #3589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
........ if you could tell me where do you stay and when are you exactly going to your home town, then I'll try and let you know if I can indeed look after them.
Hey Ashkait have PM'ed you a reply to this post....
Old 7th April 2014, 23:28   #3590
BHPian

Guys I need some help regarding which dog breed should I go for.
We are a family of three, myself, wife and a 7yr old son with occasional close relative coming to our house for few days.

Now for next 2-3 years I will be away from home on weekdays and will come to home only on weekends and so thought of having a dog which can also act as guardian apart from giving company to my son.
As I will be away from home for most days so my wife will be taking care of dog most of time along with some help from my kid.
After having done some online reading I selected Rottweiler as pet dog but I am also aware that its difficult dog to keep.

Please help regarding good alternative or some tips how to raise Rottweiler as good pet dog.And is it advisable to have Rottweiler when it will be raised by a women and a kid?
Old 7th April 2014, 23:58   #3591
BHPian

I'd say GSD. loving caring and can perform as guarding dog.
Lab will be the friendliest. Even a boxer is a good option.

For me GSD is an all rounder.
Old 8th April 2014, 00:07   #3592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Guys I need some help regarding which dog breed should I go for.
We are a family of three, myself, wife and a 7yr old son with occasional close relative coming to our house for few days.

Now for next 2-3 years I will be away from home on weekdays and will come to home only on weekends and so thought of having a dog which can also act as guardian apart from giving company to my son.
As I will be away from home for most days so my wife will be taking care of dog most of time along with some help from my kid.
After having done some online reading I selected Rottweiler as pet dog but I am also aware that its difficult dog to keep.

Please help regarding good alternative or some tips how to raise Rottweiler as good pet dog.And is it advisable to have Rottweiler when it will be raised by a women and a kid?
I would strictly advice you against buying a Rot. Its a very aggressive breed which needs a lot of patience and firmness and at the same time needs a lot of exercise. Also I would like to ask you if you really love dogs? Buying one for just guarding doesn't really sound justified to me as pets really need a lot of love and care and would your wife be able to devote all that time to it? All these large breeds would require ample walks 2-3 times a day. Are you up for it?

If the answer is yes then even I will suggest a GSD or a Labrador. The Lab would ofcourse be more playful. The GSD would be more territorial of the two and would be better as a guard dog though.
Old 8th April 2014, 00:39   #3593
BHPian

Actually never thought of GSD before. Thanks for recommending this dog.

We all three love dog but certainly my wife wont be able to give 2-3 hours per day, definitely not more than 30min for walk per day.

I am reading about dogs here and I can see that both GSD and Rot have quite a lot of similarities. So if Rot is not an option then I doubt GSD could be.

I know Lab are the best dog but my wife doesn't like it as it sheds too much.
Also one of her friend has it and their whole house is always full of dog's smell.
Old 8th April 2014, 01:14   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also one of her friend has it and their whole house is always full of dog's smell.
Then your wife may not like GSD either. Rottweiler isn't for those who have no prior experience with dogs. Its not an overly aggressive breed blah blah,just needs a firm handler,discipline and exercise. My friend's Rottweiler has the demeanour of a Lab,but that was because if his training and upbringing.

You can consider a Doberman too.

Just saying-In your case I'd suggest hiring a security guard. Its much better than getting a dog just as a stop-gap arrangement for 2-3 years.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 8th April 2014 at 01:15.
Old 8th April 2014, 02:00   #3595
BANNED

Quote:
I know Lab are the best dog but my wife doesn't like it as it sheds too much.Also one of her friend has it and their whole house is always full of dog's smell.
Sorry, as your comment is about labs that I deeply adore - I have a couple comments. Our lab is close to 6 yrs old, and I can relate to what you say about shedding. We have tile floors all over the house, and it is quite easy to clean. He is trained not to enter the kitchen or not to get on our bed or the sofa. He has one bed in the living room and one in our bedroom. That gives us some control over fur on clothes.

I am not sure what is going on with your friends lab. If their teeth is not brushed, their breath would smell a little. After a swim in the lake, sea or pool there is the wet dog smell. But there is NO general dog odor all over the house. He takes a bath once a month- usually after a visit to the dog beach or the dog park where he can get dirty playing with other dogs. Also, I do not think there is anything breed specific about the smell. Labs with short coat needs very little to no grooming. If the dog stays active by running on paved roads, or playing on concrete the nails keep getting trimmed/filed. Once in a few months we clip the nails, and clean the ears. That's about it.
Old 8th April 2014, 02:37   #3596
BHPian

Quote:
dog smelling or not depends on the owner how he/she maintains them - i think it is irrational to blame the dog for the so called DOG smell in their house

Regarding shedding irrespective of dog breed they do so all the time. it is a natural phenomenon, just like we have hair losing tendencies while taking bath or combing hair?

Please remember dog is a commitment and emotional attachment: unless you are not sure whether you can spare enough time for their exercise and their other emotional needs - Dont even think of bringing any breed at home. Apologies if i sound rude, but that's the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Rottweiler isn't for those who have no prior experience with dogs. Its not an overly aggressive breed blah blah,just needs a
I really differ with your statement here. Irrespective of breeds it depends on us how we train our dogs. My cousin is a first time dog owner and brought a a pure rottweiler puppy from palakkad (palakkad, kerala is known for pure breed dogs). but he got well trained without any professional help!

Last edited by lazybrain : 8th April 2014 at 02:58.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:14   #3597
BHPian

"Please don't feel offended, but this is what I strongly feel. Nothing Personal. Just pure Love towards the only guys who love us more than themselves "
@MODS : please delete if inappropriate.

Your case seems very similar to me.
First of all decide if you are ready for a lifetime commitment. It's like deciding to have a kid. but 4-5 yrs down the line, the dog will need the same amount of attention from you as when it was a puppy. He won't grow up and be engaged in school or daycare, while you and your wife go to work.
Daily exercises, playing and spending time together and occasional EVENTS like deworming and ticks etc... for these you have to be there. the dog needs your (ie your family members') personal attention and love everyday. Just a kid would need it too.
(even a stupid machine like a car needs to be driven for some kms regularly.)

Seriously man, my point here is. you can't expect a dog to "he'll be calmer when he'll grow up". Kids do that because, they get "sanskars" from many people (schools, friends etc) and TV and books etc., even when parents are busy with carriers. For your loving Dog, his close family is the only thing. hope you get my point.
I don't like to see a dog trapped in a house cause the parents go to work and the kid has grown up and got busy in school. nothing sadder than to see a dog with no one to play with. (then there are people who give away there dogs just because they don't have time to feed him. I don't know what they'll do with there aging parents.)

This is exactly the reason, why my family does not have a dog yet. with busy schedules, we don't want him to feels neglected. It's your most demanding, yet most loving, kid.

For your needs, a Boxer is also a good option. google Linus the boxer videos.
may be a doberman too. Every dogs need good daily exercise though.

Don't expect your son to train him, it all falls on your wife only. you can't do it. On can not train a dog (puppy) only on weekends. It's everyday activity.Your Son will, in fact, teach him mischiefs. He'll have a best friend to play with at home 24x7. what did you do when you had your friends at your home when you were a kid? sit down and read books or played cricket in 10'x10' living room and broke the flowerpots?

another good option is to adopt a well trained adult dog from CUPA or similar org. Seniors, please comment.

Make an informed decision which you won't regret later.

Again, no offence man. After all, all of us want a happy dog at you home.

Last edited by motionfreak : 8th April 2014 at 11:21.
Old 8th April 2014, 12:26   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
Actually never thought of GSD before. Thanks for recommending this dog.

We all three love dog but certainly my wife wont be able to give 2-3 hours per day, definitely not more than 30min for walk per day.

I am reading about dogs here and I can see that both GSD and Rot have quite a lot of similarities. So if Rot is not an option then I doubt GSD could be.

I agree that the temperament of the dog depends on the training imparted during its growing up phase but Rotweilers/ GSDs etc are naturally territorial and would need slightly an extra effort to train it against its instincts, unlike labradors which were bred specifically as retreivers and not as guard dogs and are thus not so aggressive. They might be difficult to control just because of their sheer power. And if not trained well to be friendly then you might end up having to put the dog inside the room whenever friends/ relatives come visiting. (I have seen such cases around me in the past).

We have a labrador at home who is reasonably friendly but my wife makes aware to anyone who rings the bell that there is a dog in the house and thats usually enough to scare these salesmen/ delivery man etc (I have seen people even terrified of my pug) so they try to keep away from the door.

Regarding smell of dogs, its not only the dog that could smell but excessive drooling could also cause it. Some dogs might tend to drool more than the others and labs are notorious for drooling whenever they sight something that is edible.

All in all I would say if your plan is buy a dog specifically as security for a period of 2-3 years then rethink your decision and invest in an anti-theft system instead.
Old 8th April 2014, 14:49   #3599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I really differ with your statement here. Irrespective of breeds it depends on us how we train our dogs. My cousin is a first time dog owner and brought a a pure rottweiler puppy from palakkad (palakkad, kerala is known for pure breed dogs). but he got well trained without any professional help!

Well there are always exception to the norm,there are a few here on tbhp too who've had Rottweiler as their first puppy.. Almost every person I spoke to (online and offline at dog shows) never recommended a Rottweiler to a first time dog owner. The reason was a newbie might not be able to spot behavioral issues early on to correct them, and that might lead to complications later on. Especially with a large and territorial dog like a rottweiler.
Old 8th April 2014, 18:44   #3600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Then your wife may not like GSD either.
Just saying-In your case I'd suggest hiring a security guard. Its much better than getting a dog just as a stop-gap arrangement for 2-3 years.
Almost right in front of our gate is the residence of DIG BSF residence where a security guard is always present at the gate.A Dog is much more than just a security guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Sorry, as your comment is about labs that I deeply adore
I am not sure what is going on with your friends lab............. Once in a few months we clip the nails, and clean the ears. That's about it.
Haha...sorry to offend you mate. You are one true admirer of dogs.
We both know that that particular Lab is not in good hands. Its just that my wife is probably doesn't like Labs coz thats the only Lab she has seen though being stinky and smelly is not dog's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
"Please don't feel offended, but this is what I strongly feel. Nothing Personal. Just pure Love towards the only guys who love us more than themselves "
@MODS : please delete if inappropriate.

Your case seems very similar to me.
First of all decide if you are ready for a lifetime commitment. It's like deciding to have a kid. but 4-5 yrs down the line, the dog will need the same amount of attention from you as when it was a puppy. He won't grow up and be engaged in school or daycare, while you and your wife go to work.
Daily exercises, playing and spending time together and occasional EVENTS like deworming and ticks etc... for these you have to be there. the dog needs your (ie your family members') personal attention and love everyday. Just a kid would need it too.
(even a stupid machine like a car needs to be driven for some kms regularly.)

Seriously man, my point here is. you can't expect a dog to "he'll be calmer when he'll grow up". Kids do that because, they get "sanskars" from many people (schools, friends etc) and TV and books etc., even when parents are busy with carriers. For your loving Dog, his close family is the only thing. hope you get my point.

This is exactly the reason, why my family does not have a dog yet. with busy schedules, we don't want him to feels neglected. It's your most demanding, yet most loving, kid.

Again, no offense man. After all, all of us want a happy dog at you home.
No offense mate. You are also one true dog lover. I am also a dog lover and thats why I never had a dog since I got married almost 12 years ago. Since then I had moved to 2-3 different locations and even had plans to immigrate.

As a kid I would pick any cute looking stray puppy and bring that to home only to see my parents throw the puppy out. Almost all the stray dogs in and around my street were very friendly to me because I would steal eatables or buy from my pocket money to feed them. My mother never liked dogs so could never had a dog as a pet.
I also had a two female cats but both ran away with their male counterparts (Billa!!) when they grew to adulthood.

I know what it takes to raise a dog as just 6-7 years ago we saw a small puppy in front of our gate during a chilly late evening. We gave it shelter for that night thinking it will go away in the morning but it did not. Then we thought of keeping it even though we were planning to move to different location. We came to know on 3rd day that its leg was broken. Still it became part of our family and gave us many moments of joy. Infact it stolen was some one when it was 3-4 months old but it was left at our gate 48 hours later. I still can not forget that eyes and face when I came running to gate after I heard it barking for us to come us.

We are now full prepared for a dog as we have been discussing to keep a dog for the last many months. We just need a perfect breed for our needs.
Keep it coming guys it has been good discussion so far.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 8th April 2014 at 18:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks