Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 15:16   #3676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My cat suffers from prostate cancer and I am saddened by his pain and possibly his end.

He is 10 years old. I have been having dogs (GSD) and cats from the time I was born. My earlier female cat lived to a ripe old age of 12 years.

Oddly this cat shows the symptoms every few days and then becomes normal. This time he has become too weak.

I no longer have the resilience to see my pets die away.
He's a beauty! A cat living 10 years is phenomenal in this day and age - especially if it is a cat that's left to its own outdoors.

Love him till the end, that is all we are meant to do anyway :-)
Old 15th May 2014, 16:07   #3677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
He's a beauty! A cat living 10 years is phenomenal in this day and age - especially if it is a cat that's left to its own outdoors.

Love him till the end, that is all we are meant to do anyway :-)
No way. He is living in the house all right. Problem was we didn't neuter him when he was young. He didn't show much intention to go after other cats. I brought him up with feeding bottle when he was a small fur ball.

He has difficulty passing motion and as a result is messing up the house. We had to clean up the mess every time now.
Old 15th May 2014, 16:38   #3678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No way. He is living in the house all right. Problem was we didn't neuter him when he was young. He didn't show much intention to go after other cats. I brought him up with feeding bottle when he was a small fur ball.

He has difficulty passing motion and as a result is messing up the house. We had to clean up the mess every time now.
Don't you use kitty litter?
Old 18th May 2014, 13:43   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Don't you use kitty litter?
Sorry about the delay. I can't use kitty litter for the simple reason the cat won't bother with that. He is under tremendous pain.
Old 18th May 2014, 13:51   #3680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry about the delay. I can't use kitty litter for the simple reason the cat won't bother with that. He is under tremendous pain.
Are you in Chennai? I can refer an excellent vet named Dr. Cat (the clinic). If in bangalore please visit Dr pavan. Let me know will pm their details.

Am owned by a cat too :-P
Old 18th May 2014, 13:57   #3681
BHPian

Quote:
Are you in Chennai? I can refer an excellent vet named Dr. Cat (the clinic). If in bangalore please visit Dr pavan. Let me know will pm their details.

Am owned by a cat too :-P
Thanks Red Liner. We can only provide comfort and care in the last stages of the Cat. It is a terminal cancer and other than putting him down there is little any vet can do at this stage.

I feel sad.

Thanks again
Old 18th May 2014, 14:15   #3682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@Dreams: 3 Oscars in a 3ft tank would be asking for trouble as they get bigger.
Gravel any day is better for a tank other than planted ones. And the white sand you speak of becomes like cement in water.
Internal filters brands like Atman, Bodyguard, Dophin are fine. Air pump is not required since you can get water turbulence with your internal filters itself.
And 6mm thickness for a 3footer sounds a bit low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Agree. Three oscars need a little more space as well as width to swim freely else they will start bumping into each other and may get irritated/stressed. Also use at leaat 8mm if not 10mm glass since the front pane as well as bottom panels will habe to bear a lot of load on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Using sand as substrate results in formation of these air pockets. I'm gonna shift over to gravel soon.
Will go for a bigger tank and stick with gravel. Internal filters, I need to check if the names mentioned are available with the local stores.
Will also make a note on the size of the glass. 10mm for sure. Is this sufficient for a 4-5ft tank too ?
Old 18th May 2014, 21:19   #3683
Distinguished - BHPian

Prowler, sorry to hear about your cat.

Ironically, although pretty rough to look at, our "outdoor" cat, wild but friendly, is probably going to outlive the indoor cats I've had here in India. He lets me stroke him, but I still wouldn't dare try to pick him up. When he sinks his teeth in, he sinks them in proper!

I think the whole world has seen the "viral" news item of the young child being rescued from a vicious dog by the family cat. Anyone who has any doubts about their babies being safe with a cat should watch it. In fact, anywith with no babies, or even no cat, should watch it: it is very impressive. Do watch! --- BBC News Item Link
Old 18th May 2014, 21:33   #3684
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa! That cat was awesome! The things animals do for us.
Old 19th May 2014, 09:55   #3685
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys looking for boarding services for their dogs in Bangalore, just came across this. Completely indoors at home!

https://www.facebook.com/ZoeDoggyCareBangalore

Looks really good. The owner also adopts, trains, and rehomes dogs which have been abandoned.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th May 2014 at 10:17.
Old 19th May 2014, 10:04   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Prowler, sorry to hear about your cat.

Ironically, although pretty rough to look at, our "outdoor" cat, wild but friendly, is probably going to outlive the indoor cats I've had here in India. He lets me stroke him, but I still wouldn't dare try to pick him up. When he sinks his teeth in, he sinks them in proper!

In fact, anywith with no babies, or even no cat, should watch it: it is very impressive. Do watch! --- BBC News Item Link
Thanks Thad. I am surprised that a 'wild cat' can outlive a domestic cat assuming that the domestic cat has been 'neutered' . Most vets I talked to are of the opinion that other things being equal, a neutered cat will have far less aggression and as a result will not indulge in territorial fights or fight for mates. On an average an aggressive male cat rarely lives beyond 7 years in Madras - so I am told.

Wow. The cat in the BBC news item deserves a medal. A real hero. Thanks again (this time for the link).

Last edited by Prowler : 19th May 2014 at 10:12. Reason: Added more
Old 19th May 2014, 14:49   #3687
Distinguished - BHPian

I suppose our "wild" cat is more homeless than wild. I suspect that he originally lived with people. He is not nearly as wild as the father of our domestic litter of a few years back, who would certainly not let anyone touch him, even when he became old, injured, and dependent on us for food.

Our domestic cats: lost, stolen, traffic... :(
Old 19th May 2014, 19:28   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Our domestic cats: lost, stolen, traffic... :(
Oh Oh. That is terrible. That is a problem with cats - they need freedom to roam - often to their own grief.

A friend of mine lost his cat owing to self medication. He thought his cat had some fever and so gave a tablet of Crocin. The cat developed liver failure and died soon after.
Old 19th May 2014, 20:39   #3689
BHPian

We used to have wild non-spayed cats, resulted in a lot of grief!

Now spayed cats indoors and two of the more experienced cats outside and we haven't lost a cat in a long time

Last edited by Diesel_convert : 19th May 2014 at 20:40.
Old 19th May 2014, 23:13   #3690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Oh. That is terrible. That is a problem with cats - they need freedom to roam - often to their own grief.
Yes, they were a wonderful family too. We do not know where mum came from, but she thought out house was a better place to bring up her kittens.

Eventually... mum disappeared; one kitten missing from vet surgery (said to still be living in that area); one kitten road accident; one disappeared. No more than about three years from beginning to end of story.

Quote:
A friend of mine lost his cat owing to self medication. He thought his cat had some fever and so gave a tablet of Crocin. The cat developed liver failure and died soon after.
Very sad, and a lesson to all. Do people not know that paracetamol kills people, let alone tiny creatures? And that different species react in different ways to chemicals? Never give 'human' medicines to an animal without being told to by a vet! I guess your friend knows that now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks