Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 19:26   #3721
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
What can be worst than putting your own dog to sleep. :( I'm literally in tears while I type this. Today morning we had to put down our 8 year old GSD.
It was a year back when he started showing signs of his hind legs becoming weak and a couple of months ago he dropped his hind legs. We tried everything we could, medication, massages, etc but in vain.
I guess it was time now.

Something for my buddy:-
Calling him a dog doesn't do him justice, though he was four legged, had a tail, barked, his hair all over the place and his drool on seeing meat. Surely he was to all outward appearances but to those who knew him well, he was a thorough gentlemen!

You will always be in my heart, Muddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ashkait, I have always dreaded this decision, but my animals have, so far, departed of their own accord. I once asked my mother how she did it, and she said that the day comes when it isn't really a choice any longer, it just has to be done. I'm sure that what you did was your last kindness for your beloved animal.

Deep sympathy.
It is never easy to make that call, but it is not fair to have them suffer because it is inhumane.
Take comfort in the fact that they are not in agony anymore and grieve you must.

Hope you find the strength to pull through.

Last edited by vulcanize : 28th May 2014 at 19:28. Reason: Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 12:44   #3722
BHPian

We have a dog at home who loves traveling. However, I am very uncomfortable with the way he would rather stand on the rear seats instead of sitting tight. There have been couple of times when he has fallen from the seats.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this. I have a Honda Jazz with completely foldable rear seats, but that way he will not be able to look out of the window and thus will 'hamper his style'. I have seen Kurgo Hammock on internet, but don't know if they are any good.

How do you travel with your canine friend?
Old 1st June 2014, 21:44   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
May he rest in eternal peace and you have to control yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm sure that what you did was your last kindness for your beloved animal.

Deep sympathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I just went through the loss of my friend and can empathize with you. As for your second para.. I can so well understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Deep condolences. My earlier GSD went through the same problem - paralysis from the hind quarters. He went down on his own within 2 days. It is a terrible loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanize View Post
It is never easy to make that call, but it is not fair to have them suffer because it is inhumane....
Hope you find the strength to pull through.
Thanks guys.

Well now I've taken comfort in the fact that yes we indeed did a favour to him by not having him suffer and that now he is in a better place.
Old 3rd June 2014, 00:00   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Is there anything that can be done to prevent this. I have a Honda Jazz with completely foldable rear seats, but that way he will not be able to look out of the window and thus will 'hamper his style'. I have seen Kurgo Hammock on internet, but don't know if they are any good.

Try this? http://www.petsmart.com/dog/safety-h...6-catid-100140
Old 3rd June 2014, 00:34   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
We have a dog at home who loves traveling. However, I am very uncomfortable with the way he would rather stand on the rear seats instead of sitting tight. There have been couple of times when he has fallen from the seats.

Dear Animesh,

My friend has a Labrador, Ronaldo, who loves traveling as well. He is huge, one of the largest Labradors I have ever seen! Earlier, in their Indica, he used to sleep in the front passengers footwell (snug fit!), and sometimes on the front seat. Now, he sleeps comfortably in his Safaris front footwell, on the front seat, flat on the rear bench, or flat in the rear footwell. Sometimes in the Safaris boot too! It depends on his mood, and on the number of people in the car. He has traveled a lot, including a few 800-900km journeys in a day. Never complains! My only advise to you is that let him be comfortable and find a good spot for himself. Also, try putting him in the front footwell and direct a bit of the AC downwards. He should like sleeping there!

Aalok
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20140511_103815_hdr.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20131215_165249.jpg  

Old 4th June 2014, 06:54   #3726
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The morning walk with the dogs.

Took a short cut through one of the parks in HSR which has been under development for years.

As recently as two to three years ago this park near NIFT College actually served as a vast outdoor convenience for the droves of construction workers, BPO cab drivers and the like.

I know this because I have observed this with my own eyes on my morning walks in that area over the last 11 years that I have lived in this place.

While taking my perfectly well behaved and clean and peaceful elderly dogs through the park on their leashes to get to the other side, I was accosted by a morning walker - a late Middle Aged (65 ish) year old Karnataka Government type or perhaps Bank Manager type. Typical self important fellow.

He said to me in a peremptory manner that pets are NOT allowed in parks.

I shot back immediately (and politely) that if pets weren't allowed according to him, then, like him, as a tax payer, I would object to his kids or his sons kids being brought to the park!

Why so much pet hating dirty intolerance on the part of these people?

Contrast this with a poor construction worker families on the street who feed and look after the friendly neighbourhood streeties like Zolf and Goldie etc!

And the car cleaning man I met today with a tiny puppy and when I asked him whose the pup was he shyly said 'Mine'. He was treating the puppy with much affection.

Why do these blighted self important 'educated, service and middle classes' have such hatred and intolerance towards animals?

And in a country where we preach Ahimsa!

Truly god damned people I must say!
Old 4th June 2014, 07:04   #3727
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
What can be worst than putting your own dog to sleep. :( I'm literally in tears while I type this. Today morning we had to put down our 8 year old GSD.ut to those who knew him well, he was a thorough gentlemen!

Attachment 1244559

You will always be in my heart, Muddy!
Alsatians/ GSDs are the Best. I am sorry for your loss having had mostly Alsatians all my life. They are truly my favourite breed. The most intelligent, most loving and most loyal friends a man can ask for. I frankly prefer my Alsatians to Human Beings any day of the week.
It is terrible to lose a pet and it is terrible to have to put them down. I lost my Wolf at the age of 9+ a few years ago owing to a congenital problem but he was tough and strong till the end and passed on, on his own one morning.
Elderly Alsatians truly conform to the Acronym - DOG - Dignified Old Gentleman.
Old 4th June 2014, 10:16   #3728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
...He said to me in a peremptory manner that pets are NOT allowed in parks.
Why so much pet hating dirty intolerance on the part of these people?....
I think more than hatred, it's the scare of the animals which make people stay away from other's pets. In a country like India where atleast 80% owners don't believe in a proper pet training, chances are high that things may go wrong at a public place. Add to it, the lack of proper laws which will force owners to be careful about their pets add to the woes of others.

I for one, am NOT very comfy around dogs (except labs) which are even leashed in a public place for the simple fact that I do not know whether those are trained or not. Your comments are purely from your perspective where you know what your dogs would or would NOT do. Expecting people to be comfortable with an animal which they do not know, is not fair.
Old 4th June 2014, 11:43   #3729
BHPian

Quote:

Contrast this with a poor construction worker families on the street who feed and look after the friendly neighbourhood streeties like Zolf and Goldie etc!

And the car cleaning man I met today with a tiny puppy and when I asked him whose the pup was he shyly said 'Mine'. He was treating the puppy with much affection.

Why do these blighted self important 'educated, service and middle classes' have such hatred and intolerance towards animals?
I think its the unpredictability of the animal, and owners not being responsible enough. I have seen owners not taking responsibility to any damage done by their pets, and hence many of us are scared that it might inflict damage to them or their kids.

I myself love squirrels, cats and dogs. All through my school days we used to have 1 or 2 cats, and when there were no cats, it was squirrels. All of them were the regular ones and not pedigree breeds. They were all so good, understanding and well behaved. Infact we had a dog at our grandma's place, a "stray so to say but never looked like one" brought home as a pup. It was fiercely possessive and protective of our grandma's place. despite this, the first time I met him (as a small school kid) it was so gentle despite it not being on leash. We used to go over only during our vacations, and when I used to take short walks around the village, it used to accompany me, and was never on leash. We stopped having pets, when we could no longer bear to see it die, especially the last cat which had the entire family spell bound.

Also I think the so-called poor or the elders in the villages, have a readily trusting & helping nature, which we slowly lose. Many a times, I have seen them go out of the way to try and help others. A good example I have seen is when I had to hop into the UR coach on the trains when I don't get a confirmed ticket, they would either squeeze to give me a seat or rotate after some time. This is just what I have observed.
Old 4th June 2014, 13:19   #3730
BHPian

Quote:

While taking my perfectly well behaved and clean and peaceful elderly dogs through the park on their leashes to get to the other side, I was accosted by a morning walker - a late Middle Aged (65 ish) year old Karnataka Government type or perhaps Bank Manager type. Typical self important fellow.

Cranky old man. These people probably never had a pet and so don't realize that most dogs in leash in a public park behave well far more than humans. It is not a Pitbull or an aggressive Rottweiler on its own in that park.

Quote:
Alsatians/ GSDs are the Best. I am sorry for your loss having had mostly Alsatians all my life.

Elderly Alsatians truly conform to the Acronym - DOG - Dignified Old Gentleman.
Absolutely true. I am - what you may call as a text book style conservative. I will go to the same restaurant, sit in the same seat and order the same food for years. I grew up with GSD/Alsatians all my life and they have been a source of friendship and bond I haven't had with humans.
Old 4th June 2014, 13:44   #3731
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, so judge this "dharti pe bojh ".
I feed a few strays in my society every night. There's a litter of about 5 month of pups who are part of this. A few weeks back I was feeding them, and this joker started haranguing me from his balcony. "take them to your home, educated illiterate. Bewakoof.... Etc etc. "
After about a minute of listening to this, I just started talking to the dogs, loudly enough for him to hear,that you guys have competition!!
This pissed him off even more, and he started making unintelligible noises, literally!
I just turned to him and asked him how are you capable of earning enough to even live in that house?
More noises. Threats of "aata hoon neeche!! "
(I'm coming downstairs)

So I just sat on the bench there with my civilized friends.....door closed, no more noises since that day.

One, I have the law on my side in this.
Two, you are undeserving to be called human if you have a problem with stray dogs being fed. You're a rodent and will be treated as such,in language and acts.

It's best to be quiet unless such guys have the cajunas (which they never do) to get in your face.
Old 4th June 2014, 14:55   #3732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
few weeks back I was feeding them, and this joker started haranguing me from his balcony. "take them to your home, educated illiterate. Bewakoof.... Etc etc. "
After about a minute of listening to this, I just started talking to the dogs, loudly enough for him to hear,that you guys have competition!!
This pissed him off even more, and he started making unintelligible noises, literally!
There are such jokers everywhere. There is a single, healthy and disease free dog in my road which has already been sterlised by the civic authorities(with the worst possible care taken) which I feed rather irregularly, whenever I can. So there is this slightly old aged person who tries to preach his wisdom telling that we feed these dogs, and then they go and bite people going on the road and he told me the same thing to keep the dog inside if I wanted it.

Told him in return he is free to complain to anyone regarding this issue and find a solution to 'his' problem. After all the civic authorities have done their job and gone. So now what does he want to kill the dog itself? I have stopped caring about his interference and just give the dog something whenever I can. Where else will these poor creatures find food other than the trash? Feel sorry for them so I will feed them. Recently the storm water drains were sealed completely, before which these animals would take shelter there. Now when it rains, these poor things have no where to go and are too scared to enter compounds. Its an act of kindness to let them inside, which this joker thinks is a crime. He will shortly be seeing a few of my fingers soon.
Old 4th June 2014, 17:14   #3733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
A few weeks back I was feeding them, and this joker started haranguing me from his balcony. "take them to your home, educated illiterate. Bewakoof.... Etc etc. "

More noises. Threats of "aata hoon neeche!! "
(I'm coming downstairs)
Mayankk Bhai, He has a valid point you see, He would have been denied of a timely meal at home so when he saw you feeding some stray pups his ego as a male made him speak to you in this cowardly manner. He doesn't deserve to be among humans. You are not a Bewakoof but he surely is!!

OT: Any update about this Sunday's meet ?

Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 00:53   #3734
BHPian

Quote:

Took a short cut through one of the parks in HSR which has been under development for years.

As recently as two to three years ago this park near NIFT College actually served as a vast outdoor convenience for the droves of construction workers, BPO cab drivers and the like.

I know this because I have observed this with my own eyes on my morning walks in that area over the last 11 years that I have lived in this place.

I shot back immediately (and politely) that if pets weren't allowed according to him, then, like him, as a tax payer, I would object to his kids or his sons kids being brought to the park!

Shankar balan,

I don't know about you but I've never seen a dog owner cleaning up after their dogs. I use to go for a run on Ulsoor lake and many time came across dog poo on the jogging track. May be that is the reason that man was pissed off at pet owners. I am sure no educated person bring his sons kids to park and let them poo at the tracks or do you?

-Ijeet
Old 7th June 2014, 06:40   #3735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Shankar balan,

I don't know about you but I've never seen a dog owner cleaning up after their dogs. I use to go for a run on Ulsoor lake and many time came across dog poo on the jogging track. May be that is the reason that man was pissed off at pet owners. I am sure no educated person bring his sons kids to park and let them poo at the tracks or do you?

-Ijeet
Valid point, but then he should have pointed out that. Anyway that could be one of many reasons, another more realistic being, him being a total ass!

On a different note, we do see kids, and especially grown up men, peeing whenever, and wherever they feel like doing it. That's as bad as dog poo, if you ask me. Don't see a solution to that, do we!

The problem is people are not going to do such tasks (cleaning up after their dogs, not peeing) unless rules are enforced. That's a realistic view, btw.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks