Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 19:20   #3751
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

What a right time to discuss the topic. I was also worried with my lab's weak hind limbs problem. Normal activity was fine but climbing stairs he hesitates and even if we force he refuses to climb. Showed to the vet and he asked me to reduce his weight. He weighs 45 kgs. Vet also added a neutra supplement by name paw up and calcium tablets. Since last 2 weeks i take him for 5-6 kms brisk walk. He is improving now in the sense he occasionally hesitates to climb stairs.

But the suggestion of gizzard + liver + turmeric + ginger posted here is too good and will try to follow it. My lab is 6.5 years old now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post
he's on a diet of packaged food in the morning and mince beef+rice in the evening with raw chicken every few days. planning on stopping the packaged food as I've been hearing horrible things about it.
My dog's daily food is one bowl of pedigree in the morning, 2 sweet buns in the evening and curd rice with minced chicken (brand called butch is available in market) at night.
My question - Is pedigree and butch not good for dogs? Please advice!
Old 26th June 2014, 21:29   #3752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post

But the suggestion of gizzard + liver + turmeric + ginger posted here is too good and will try to follow it. My lab is 6.5 years old now

My dog's daily food is one bowl of pedigree in the morning, 2 sweet buns in the evening and curd rice with minced chicken (brand called butch is available in market) at night.
My question - Is pedigree and butch not good for dogs? Please advice!
why not exercise too? Just got back from the beach with Fitz, the beach really gets him all worked up and better than home as he has an open ground to play and no other dog's to interfere
My dad has noticed an improvement in Fitz since we've been going to the beach.
i don't know about butch nor dogs apart from GSD's but i give him alot of raw chicken( you get the carcass after they remove the breast).
But i think pedigree should be stopped, i don't think it's very healthy. better to know what you're giving your dog
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20140626_195258.jpg  

Old 26th June 2014, 22:25   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
why not exercise too? Just got back from the beach with Fitz, the beach really gets him all worked up and better than home as he has an open ground to play and no other dog's to interfere
My dad has noticed an improvement in Fitz since we've been going to the beach.
I wish we and our dogs also had the same luxury like you, that is finding an open space. With the kind of chaos on the roads in bangalore taking a dog for a walk itself is a big deal. Still i manage to take my dog for a walk twice daily - 2 kms in the morning and 3-4 kms in the evening.

Quote:
i don't know about butch nor dogs apart from GSD's but i give him alot of raw chicken( you get the carcass after they remove the breast).
Probably your GSD is used to eating raw chicken from puppy days. But it is surely not advisable to feed dog raw meat if he/she is not used to. GI will not take it that easily! IMO rather than raw, par boiled meat is beneficial

Quote:
But i think pedigree should be stopped, i don't think it's very healthy. better to know what you're giving your dog
I think this is very controversial topic discussed all over whether pedigree is safe for your dogs. USFDA has approved pedigree for canine consumption. AFAIK home made food does not provide dog with all essential nutrients. Adding moderate quantity of pedigree/royal canine or any dog food for that matter as a one time meal is always beneficial. I feed my dog just handful of pedigree in the morning.

Last edited by lazybrain : 26th June 2014 at 22:27.
Old 27th June 2014, 11:32   #3754
Distinguished - BHPian

Couldn't stop laughing over this!

Which of you guys have had conversations like these with your buddies?
Old 27th June 2014, 12:19   #3755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...My question - Is pedigree and butch not good for dogs? Please advice!
Last time when I had this question on the thread, I was advised to stay away from this "junk" by multiple members! So I shall suggest you the same. For our lab (at home), we give Royal Canine (this was again suggested above Pedigree) and we have been giving it to our dog.

I do NOT stay for long at home, so I really do NOT know how much she is fed; but this is more like evening snacks while idlis / chappathi / bread + milk in the mid day (brunch) and rice + boiled fish in the nights.
Old 28th June 2014, 09:28   #3756
BHPian

Quote:
I wish we and our dogs also had the same luxury like you, that is finding an open space. With the kind of chaos on the roads in bangalore taking a dog for a walk itself is a big deal. Still i manage to take my dog for a walk twice daily - 2 kms in the morning and 3-4 kms in the evening.
6km a day! That sounds great! Even I don't get that much exercise
I guess the exercise is the part that dog lovers in cities worry about when deciding whether to get dog's or not. I've seen dog's on treadmills before so searched for it and found this:
http://www.jogadog.com/
wouldn't it be possible to fence the sides of a large motorized treadmill(which you may already have at home) and set an inclination so that the hind legs get a work out?
your city route may not have enough upward inclinations so your dogs hind legs aren't getting worked out enough and maybe he already has the habit to lean forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Which of you guys have had conversations like these with your buddies?
Thanx for the share! loved the video.
I guess most of us talk to our pets
Old 28th June 2014, 19:35   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Well folks I do not have a pet as you know so here is a something that made me feel really happy. Check out both the videos.

Video 1

Video 2 ( Bhaigiri at it's comic best)

Really lovable videos.

Credit: Youtube.

Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 19:40   #3758
Senior - BHPian

Commercial dog food is fine, as it is supposed to have all the required nutrients in it. But as a dog psychiatrist said, the same monotonous diet will bore the dog same as humans. That is why I prefer home cooked meals. Try as you can, there is a slight variation every batch.

One thing to take care of while giving commercial dry food, is to ensure that it is soaked in a lot of water. Else if the dog takes it dry and then drinks water, the food will bloat up (expand a lot), and in rare cases twist the stomach.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...oat-naturally/
http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.co...ommercial.html
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-v...ning-emergency
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm
Old 30th June 2014, 17:15   #3759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
...One thing to take care of while giving commercial dry food, is to ensure that it is soaked in a lot of water. Else if the dog takes it dry and then drinks water, the food will bloat up (expand a lot), and in rare cases twist the stomach...
I guess this is applicable for food like Royal Canine, Pedigree etc? Could you tell me how much water is required for the food and how much time should it be allowed to soak in?
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:39   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess this is applicable for food like Royal Canine, Pedigree etc? Could you tell me how much water is required for the food and how much time should it be allowed to soak in?
As I have never used it, I cannot say, but surf the net and there are hundreds of sites which will give you the correct answer.
Old 18th July 2014, 15:02   #3761
Senior - BHPian

With a heavy heart and almost at the verge of feeling helpless, am trying to find all the information i can regarding my 3 year old Golden retriever, how to cure him and what to do to help the poor guy.

Till he was 1 year old, he was absolutely fine, then he started having 1 seizure every 2-3 months and the frequency started to increase, we did blood tests and there was nothing significant other than a low blood platelet count once and a little weak liver for which medication was started.

Now from past 5-6 months, he has started having cluster seizures and it is so very painful to helplessly watch him struggling, has saliva coming out of his mouth, urine flows out and then he remains lost and weak for the next 2-3 days. From yesterday night, he has had 6 seizures now, we are in touch with Dr Rana from Neeti bagh clinic and he says this could either be hereditary or there could be a tumour or cyst some where

Any one in Delhi/Gurgaon knows a better doctor who could treat this thing, when my dog is fine, he stays fit for even 30-40 days, when the seizures hit, then they hit like 6-7 within a span of 12-14 hours. He is taking "Gardenal" and the doc says that there is no cure for epillepsy/seizures, just that their frequency can be reduced. Worried about losing him at such an early stage :( and i would never be able to put him down if these seizures continue at such an alarming rate.

This is a pic of him enjoying vacation with us in Himachal a few months back, and btw his name is Auric.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-auric.jpg
Old 18th July 2014, 15:09   #3762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
With a heavy heart and almost at the verge of feeling helpless, am trying to find all the information i can regarding my 3 year old Golden retriever, how to------------------SNIP---------------- with us in Himachal a few months back, and btw his name is Auric.
Al my wishes, buddy.
I unfortunately posted Dr. Rana's number only. Let me get in touch with Friendicoes guys and give another reference.

Last edited by mayankk : 18th July 2014 at 15:10.
Old 18th July 2014, 15:31   #3763
BHPian

Quote:
Any one in Delhi/Gurgaon knows a better doctor who could treat this thing, when my dog is fine, he stays fit for even 30-40 days, when the seizures hit, then they hit like 6-7 within a span of 12-14 hours. He is taking "Gardenal" and the doc says that there is no cure for epillepsy/seizures, just that their frequency can be reduced. Worried about losing him at such an early stage :( and i would never be able to put him down if these seizures continue at such an alarming rate.
I know what you are going through. My lab had two seizures in past 8 months. Unfortunately, the vet said the same thing that you have been told.

Still, you might want to take a second opinion from Dr. Seth http://www.dogspot.in/dog-listing/dr-rajeev-seth/

I can't comment about him being better than Dr. Rana but there's no harm in taking a second opinion.
Old 18th July 2014, 17:02   #3764
BHPian

Quote:
Any one in Delhi/Gurgaon knows a better doctor
I am really sorry. Handsome fellow he is.
The best place I know off, is CGS hospital in Gurgaon. I took my lab to them when there was a pin embedded in her paw for x-ray and surgery.
http://cgshospital.com/contactus.html
Please take another opinion from them
Old 18th July 2014, 19:32   #3765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Al my wishes, buddy.
I unfortunately posted Dr. Rana's number only. Let me get in touch with Friendicoes guys and give another reference.
Thanks mayank, contacted another doc today and he told me that the dosage of Gardenal being given was far lesser than what is required according to my dog's weight. He has increased the dosage and will get the blood tests done in 4-5 days once he stabilizes but this most probably is a hereditary disease and there is no treatment for it sadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I know what you are going through. My lab had two seizures in past 8 months. Unfortunately, the vet said the same thing that you have been told.
Still, you might want to take a second opinion from Dr. Seth http://www.dogspot.in/dog-listing/dr-rajeev-seth/
I can't comment about him being better than Dr. Rana but there's no harm in taking a second opinion.
Thanks Biraj, will give Dr. Seth a call and discuss the case with him before going to him. Dr Rana's medication is not suiting him and the number of seizures are increasing, will wait for a few days and get opinions from a few more vets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I am really sorry. Handsome fellow he is.
The best place I know off, is CGS hospital in Gurgaon. I took my lab to them when there was a pin embedded in her paw for x-ray and surgery.
http://cgshospital.com/contactus.html
Please take another opinion from them
Thanks mate, had a look at the website and it seems promising, if the medication by new vet does not work out, will talk to the vets in Gurgaon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks