Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 07:48   #3871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Thanks but Vizal declined, since both are large dogs (Retriever and Gaddi). We have to postpone the trip due to a wedding in the family. But evaluating taking them with us. Another very good and genuine option is Nadir Khan in Sushant Lok II. Though famous, but very down to earth guy. Thanks for your inputs.
We send our Labrador to a Kennel in Palam vihar. They also have a farm nearby where they keep large dogs. Their nunber is +919810964472. He has been going there since the past 9 years and is pretty happy with it.
Old 8th February 2015, 11:43   #3872
Team-BHP Support

Team-BHPians and their Pets

Enough talk about rats entering the bonnet- how do we prevents cats from going in? An entire litter of three has taken refuge inside our car, although only one posed for the camera.

The car in question here is a Hyundai Xcent petrol. Got a nice spacious engine bay for them to play around. So I don't think they are planning on moving out.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423375980.414229.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th February 2015 at 11:45.
Old 8th February 2015, 12:00   #3873
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Enough talk about rats entering the bonnet- how do we prevents cats from going in? An entire litter of three has taken refuge inside our car, although only one posed for the camera.

The car in question here is a Hyundai Xcent petrol. Got a nice spacious engine bay for them to play around. So I don't think they are planning on moving out.

Attachment 1337791
If you are planning to lend them for adoption, please let me know. I would be interested in them. Please find a safe relocation for them.
Old 8th February 2015, 12:39   #3874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My labrador is going to turn 12 this may. He has been a healthy dog all this while and is little overweight but not obese. Off late over the last couple of years he has developed arthritis for which we have been giving him regular medicines prescribed by the vet and the occasional pain killer as and when indicated. Now since last 2-3 weeks, he has started barking excessively for no reason and even when no one is around him. If we start interacting with him, then he stops but as soon as he is alone ( i.e. rest of the household is busy doing there daily chores), he starts barking. His diet etc is unaffected and is as usual. Mind you there is no aggressiveness associated with the barking. What can be the probable reason? I was surfing the internet and the most likely cause I could narrow it down to was due to the arthritis itself.
I suspect the above more because last week our lift stopped working when he had gone down for a walk. And he simply refused to climb through the stairs to our second floor house. It took us close to 1 hour coupled with all sorts of baits like his favorite biscuits, bones and toys to finally get him to climb.

Second query is if it is arthritis then what pain medication should I use on a regular basis. I am not in favor of using the allopathic pain killers as constant and regular use of them is only going to cause him more issues in the long run like renal, hepatic and gastric problems. Any home remedies that can help relieve the pain?
Guys bumping up my query posted before, specially the bold part. Looking for some help here.
Old 8th February 2015, 13:52   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys bumping up my query posted before, specially the bold part. Looking for some help here.
You can look into these:
http://www.himalayawellness.com/prod...rte-tablet.htm
http://himalayawellness.com/products...h/himpyrin.htm
The first one is for human but should not be harmful for dogs too. The ingredients are safe. You can talk to your vet and start with half the adult human dose.
Also, I heard that feeding chicken carcass specially those parts which contains lots of cartilages helps.

Last edited by archat68 : 8th February 2015 at 13:56.
Old 8th February 2015, 14:21   #3876
BHPian

We got Angel 7 months ago when she was 2 months old, now she's a healthy 9 months. She's a very calm and gentle kitty and loves to play around although sometimes it's quite evident she misses being with other cats. She came to us from a house of 60 cats and lots of sisters

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20150202wa0004.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20141215_241458711_hdr.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20150205_221626.jpg
Old 9th February 2015, 22:07   #3877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you are planning to lend them for adoption, please let me know. I would be interested in them. Please find a safe relocation for them.

They are at Trivandrum, not Bangalore. And please don't worry - they are safe with us. The mother cat barely even leaves our house compound these days and my wife and my mom takes a good amount of time to make sure they are well fed and safe.

My only concern is them entering the car though. Let me phrase it this way- how to get them not to enter the car? They seemed to have found a big liking for the hiding spaces available inside the engine bay.

Even opening the bonnet can't help spot their hiding spots at times. Could be dangerous if the car is started with them still sitting somewhere in there. Hence the concern.
Old 10th February 2015, 17:43   #3878
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need advice for a friend:
he is looking to start with a small tank, about 1' x 2'. Can you please suggest
1. which type of tank to go for
2. Accessories (inside / outside)
3. What fishes & how many ( he is like - can start with goldfish for now),

TIA !
Old 10th February 2015, 18:39   #3879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1. which type of tank to go for
2. Accessories (inside / outside)
3. What fishes & how many ( he is like - can start with goldfish for now),

TIA !
Regarding size, I suggest at least 2ftX1ftX1ft. One myth about fish tanks is bugger tanks are difficult to maintain. I feel its the opposite. Moreover a bigger tank will have a stable water temperature, can provide more water to the fish obviously. They also require less frequent water changes.

1. Type of tank in the sense custom built or ready made imported tank? All depends upon budget.

2. Sometime back aerator was considered mandatory, but now I feel a submersible filter will be a better choice as an all in one device for filtration as well as oxygenation.

3. Common mistake people do is to set up the tank in one shot. They go to the shop, get everything, assemble everything together with water and add the fish. This shouldnt be done. To give an idea, the recent setup I made was staged across three days. And the fish was added later, after three days in small quantities at a time.

First get the tank, gravel, accessories and all and set it up. Dont add fish immediately. Let the water settle, and run the filter for a day or so. Later add the fish in small quantities. For starters, its better to go for live bearers like guppies, mollies, platy etc. These fish can stand variations in water and chances of them dying overnight is rare, except if there is something seriously wrong. Just ensure that these fish dont have any parasites attached to them over their body. They are cheap to buy and can be used as test fish.

Another important thing is to avoid the use of hard water. They dont do good to either the fish or the aquarium in the long run.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th February 2015 at 18:47.
Old 11th February 2015, 08:00   #3880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
audioholic : 1. Type of tank in the sense custom built or ready made imported tank? All depends upon budget.
Thanks, @Audioholic.

Open Question:
1. Budget for tank is about 4k. First preference for custom made.
Where can he get one in BLR ? prefer South Bangalore ( in & around Jayanagar) since he lives there. Any references, anyone ?

Last edited by condor : 11th February 2015 at 08:06.
Old 11th February 2015, 10:39   #3881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @Audioholic.

Open Question:
1. Budget for tank is about 4k. First preference for custom made.
Where can he get one in BLR ? prefer South Bangalore ( in & around Jayanagar) since he lives there. Any references, anyone ?
For 4k, they can get a bigger tank than what's in mind. I guess 2.5X1.5X1ft is possible along with all other accessories. A ballpark estimate will be as follows:

1. Filter - Boyu(genuine) - 400, Non genuine 250
2. Lighting - Fluorescent lamp + ballast - 500
3. Gravel - Varies depending upon size but keep upto 500 aside.

All others are variable. Regarding shop, from the last ten years I have tried most of the shops in our area ie South Bangalore, but I can actually recommend two people. Their shops aren't huge and fancy but at the same time their rates are really reasonable and the quality of fish is also good.

1. A very small shop in the bylanes of Thyagaraja Nagar. Difficult to reach this shop but he is keeping costs low by saving rents and other expenses of having a shop in a busy area.

2. Aqua Kingdom, near Indira nursing home(Now ProMed hospital) BSK 2nd Stage.

Shops to avoid at any cost for fish:
1. Seabirds in Gandhi Bazar - This guy is only good for decorations and plants. His fish are expensive to the core and he has a crowded place, so much that the fish are too stressed and they don't survive long.

2. Ones in Jayanagar market - fit to woo in first time customers with an all in one package, and give them a fright when the fish die the next day.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:58   #3882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. A very small shop in the bylanes of Thyagaraja Nagar.
@Audioholic, thanks so much for all the details. My friend conveys his thanks too. ..

Just one question - any landmark for the shop in Thyagaraj Nagar ?
Old 11th February 2015, 15:13   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. which type of tank to go for - YOU CAN ALSO LOOK FOR ACRYLIC TANK (CHINESE MADE). NEGOTIATE THE PRICE.
2. Accessories (inside / outside) - ALL REQUIRED ACC WILL COME WITH ACRYLIC (CHINESE TANK)
3. What fishes & how many ( he is like - can start with goldfish for now), GO AS PER AUDIOHOLICS ADVISE IN BELOW QUOTE
TIA !
Quote:
For 4k, they can get a bigger tank than what's in mind. I guess 2.5X1.5X1ft is possible along with all other accessories. A ballpark estimate will be as follows:
Very crisp & accurate advise. :-)

Raab rakha.
Old 11th February 2015, 16:37   #3884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. A very small shop in the bylanes of Thyagaraja Nagar. Difficult to reach this shop but he is keeping costs low by saving rents and other expenses of having a shop in a busy area.

2. Aqua Kingdom, near Indira nursing home(Now ProMed hospital) BSK 2nd Stage.
Haven't you tried Matsyavatar near South End circle ? The Jnagar unit is a smaller setup compared to their MG road branch,but the advise and prices are honest. Very good for planted tanks.

Another thing i'd like to add,please don't go for gold fishes as first fishes. They need bigger tanks and efficient filtration to deal with all the waste they produce.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 11th February 2015 at 16:39.
Old 13th February 2015, 14:24   #3885
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mudhol

A 15-month old Mudhol hound at my cousin's place :

Team-BHPians and their Pets-mudhol1.jpg

This view does not show the typical lean, hunter looks. Felt good to be greeted by him after a year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks