Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 12:20   #3976
BHPian

With a heavy heart I write this...

My pet, a 5 and half year old GSD needs a loving home to adopt. He is healthy, lean built short haired GSD. Vaccinated and well taken care of till date.

I will be relocating to UK in two months and not sure if I will have a chance to take him along. He is good with family and kids also. Very good temperament and active. I have some goodies like solar powered belt, travel drinking bottle for pets, feeding bag which i intend to give away to his new family whoever adopts.

Please contact me on PM ASAP. spread this message and help me find him a good home soon friends!
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:45   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Hi guys,
I recently bought a French mastiff pup at 2 months. it was very difficult to socialize with my 8 years old rottweiler who was not very pleased with his presence but after a month of short friendly meets, they both are going well. He is now 6 months of age.
Old 30th July 2015, 01:14   #3978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Hi guys,
I recently bought a French mastiff pup at 2 months. it was very difficult to socialize with my 8 years old rottweiler who was not very pleased with his presence but after a month of short friendly meets, they both are going well. He is now 6 months of age.
Just general advice. Next time try getting a pup within 1 to 2 yrs of older pup. Also dont bring a pup into the household when you have a older established pet already especially if they are very territory concious. Also take older pet out to meet the pup outside the house or from where you are buying. This will allow the older pet to get used to new arrival. Once comfortable outside then travel back together. Also ensure members of the house are not too clingy with the new pup, this makes the older one insecure. Once inside let the older pet wait outside and get the pup inside first then on command allow older pet to come in. Learnt the hard way
Old 31st July 2015, 00:56   #3979
Senior - BHPian

The part of getting older pets used to the young pups gets memories and my eyes moist. We live on a farm and there is always atleast 3 pets everytime. We do face issues where the older more dominant pet is aggressive towards the young pup, but over time the young one starts playing with the older one and finally the Puppy becomes the dominant person in this relationship.

Beautiful experience. Dogs are anyday better than humans

On another note: We lost our Lab cross this year due to age and leg issues. He died peacefully after dinner. We are looking at a new dog which can come in for guard duty on our farm. We currently have a doberman and a german sheperd. My brother is inclining towards another GS as it is perfect fit in our farm and we are used to the breed.

Could you give some suggestions on other breeds which we can look into?

Maddy
Old 31st July 2015, 01:20   #3980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

We lost our Lab cross this year due to age and leg issues.
Very sorry for your loss. It is indeed equal to, if not more, like losing a family member.

GS is a strong breed, and I can vouch for them as I too have had one in the past. Been a long time that he isn't with us anymore.

We've always had two dogs at any point of time. At the moment we've got a female cross between a lab and a rottweiler, and the other ones a male stray! We picked him up from a shelter a couple of years ago.

I kid you not, the stray is one hell of a guard dog by all means. Wish I had half that amount of spunk in me!!! All in all easy to maintain, and absolutely hassle free. Goes without saying, they're loyalty personified!! Will attach pics of both!

HR.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1438285658754.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1438285776935.jpg  

Old 20th August 2015, 19:31   #3981
BHPian

I just bumped into this very interesting thread. Very warm to see all the beautiful pets our members have out here. Truly a blessed lot.

I too have some members of our family who are very unique.

Two boys 1) Bairo - 4 year old male Lab and 2) Tyson - 3.5 year old male GS(cross)

I also have few cows and they are the best beings ever!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20141123_172738.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-10509772_773959869367999_4598157064965460341_n.jpg  

Old 16th September 2015, 12:27   #3982

i Just got my membership a week before, an avid dog lover , how could i not post on this thread. I have a 1.5 year old Saint Bernard (Rocky)..it is A big breed, however is very soft at heart and always like to cuddle and sit at your lap. they have no idea about their size and thus they can hurt toddlers unknowingly while playing. However they are absolute sweethearts..!! Now i'll let some pictures do the talking . Sorry for the quality though..
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-5.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-6.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-9.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-7.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-10624774_713712278712138_5728094051804836538_n.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fullsizerender-1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fullsizerender-3.jpg  

Old 16th September 2015, 16:39   #3983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperN View Post
i Just got my membership a week before, an avid dog lover , how could i not post on this thread. ...
Hello, and welcome to you and all your canine family!
Old 17th September 2015, 22:18   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperN View Post
i Just got my membership a week before, an avid dog lover , how could i not post on this thread. I have a 1.5 year old Saint Bernard (Rocky)..
How do they cope with Indian weather? I have seen a few kept in AC rooms.
Old 18th September 2015, 17:09   #3985

Yes the climate conditions here are a bit of a problem for this breed, and they need ac rooms and a lot of care to keep them agile and fit.Having said that my darling has coped up with the climate well and early morning and evening walks along with the prescribed nutrients (food and supplements) have kept him happy and all the health problems at bay..
Old 27th September 2015, 23:05   #3986
BHPian

Is it common for a labrador to growl at owners? Are labs commonly aggressive towards strangers , who come inside of a 10 ft circle in public ?

We have a 1 year old male lab who does all this. Sometimes he growls at us for petting his head, is very food-jealous and will growl if you approach him when he is eating. Barks at doorbell ringing, barks and lunges at strangers, even children, who get to around 10 feet.

In my experience, labrador retrievers are rarely aggressive, even male adults, in fact they're regarded as most even tempered dogs who are considered safe around children. I've approached and briefly played with 5-6 labs which aren't ours, and never had any aggressive one. The vet claims it's due to hip dysplasia that the dog growls. I'm not convinced.
Old 27th September 2015, 23:36   #3987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Is it common for a labrador to growl at owners? Are labs commonly aggressive towards strangers , who come inside of a 10 ft circle in public ?

We have a 1 year old male lab who does all this.
I have a 6 yr lab and have had him since he was a month old. I can say he is surely not aggressive. However he does lunge at people and kids, but its more to play than anything else. At 1 yr old, he was extremely rough to play with. Would leave bite marks all over the arm. So its easy for this behaviour to be mistaken as aggression.

Now He does growl if he has taken something to eat with him under the table but never when he is being fed off his bowl. I have a 2 yr old daughter who puts her hand in his bowl while he is eating and feeds him, he doesnot show any aggressive behaviour.

How do you keep him at home. Is he open or confined or tied to a leash? It will surely help to get him neutered , it does cut down a bit of aggression.
Old 28th September 2015, 15:14   #3988
BHPian

Quote:

We have a 1 year old male lab who does all this. Sometimes he growls at us for petting his head, is very food-jealous and will growl if you approach him when he is eating. Barks at doorbell ringing, barks and lunges at strangers, even children, who get to around 10 feet.

In my experience, labrador retrievers are rarely aggressive, even male adults, in fact they're regarded as most even tempered dogs who are considered safe around children. I've approached and briefly played with 5-6 labs which aren't ours, and never had any aggressive one. The vet claims it's due to hip dysplasia that the dog growls. I'm not convinced.
Could you post some pictures? When he is seated and standing positions ?
Old 28th September 2015, 15:37   #3989
BHPian

Quote:
That is strange. I have a 10 year old lab and he is as gentle as an angel. He is pretty much the entire colony's pet, never growls or attacks anyone, loves to play with kids. He would probably wag his tail vigorously, welcome and play with a burglar who broke into my house too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Hi guys,
Depends on how the new comer is introduced to the pack. My GSD came home as a 4 week old pup, when my labrador was already 2.5 YO. He had no issues accepting her. Soon she out grew him and by virtue of typical GSD traits became the dominant one. Last year, when the lab was 9.5 years old and the GSD 7 years old, we brought home a 5 week old Golden Retriever. The Golden was never looked at as a threat and soon the GSD and the Golden became inseparable. Now all three co-exist peacefully.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ruby.jpg

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 28th September 2015 at 15:38.
Old 24th October 2015, 16:37   #3990
BHPian

We are looking for a homestay in Hyderabad/Secunderabad, where we can keep our dog when we go on a holiday. We are not interested in a kennel where the dogs are caged; rather we are looking for someone who offers to keep dogs in his/her home. Our dog is used to being with people and will be unhappy if caged.

Most Viewed