Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 22:40   #4036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I never thought that i would be writing this so soon, ....
Hang in there, @coolboy ! Can understand what you are going through.

There are two ways people try to cope - either get another one (but remember not to compare the two. Each is unique). Or never get another. But nothing like having one at home !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
I have been around cows ever since I was a kid ..
That brings back memories ! Used to spend a few weeks each summer at my grand parents place, and the cow-shed was a favourite haunt. Have tended to them, seen calves immediately after birth, and even worked a bit on farms with the oxen. Have driven bullock-carts - and once even separated a fighting pair
They are so strong, but Once you win their trust, it's such a feeling !

Still nurture a thought of having a couple of the native cows. May be I will, I hope I do ..

Last edited by condor : 18th January 2016 at 22:42.
Old 18th January 2016, 22:42   #4037
BHPian

Need help in deciding if 75 ltr aquarium with built in pump and filter for inr 6500 is a good deal or not. Also is there a good shop in Delhi NCR
Old 19th January 2016, 09:26   #4038
BHPian

Breakfast time at home. My wife makes rotis and then hand feeds all three of them

Team-BHPians and their Pets-breakfast.jpg
Old 19th January 2016, 14:59   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Don't know much about cows, but I have been been fascinated by the 3 breeds of indigenous dwarf cows in India and especially the Vechur Cattle from Kerala. They are only 3 feet tall and give 3 liters of milk a day. Their milk sells for a premium in case you can find it and is used for Ayurveda.
That is true.The other two are Punganur from Andhra and Gidda from Karnataka. It is sad to see them become a rarity these days. I have a Punganur cross variety but the pure ones sell for a premium. I really wish they are given more importance and developed so that more people can be encouraged to nurture them.
Old 19th January 2016, 15:26   #4040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
That is true.The other two are Punganur from Andhra and Gidda from Karnataka. It is sad to see them become a rarity these days. I have a Punganur cross variety but the pure ones sell for a premium. I really wish they are given more importance and developed so that more people can be encouraged to nurture them.
Apparently Punganur cattle is not considered as a separate breed because there are very few pure bulls and cows around to be classified separately.

I did some googling and found this interesting article --> Vechur cow, and found that at one time we used to have a lot of dwarf cattle breeds in South India (All the ones on the list seem to be from the south), but now we are losing most of them due to cross-breeding. It is a shame that they may one day be found only in zoology textbooks. I wish there was something I could do for their conservation.
Old 19th January 2016, 16:48   #4041
BHPian

Re: My kid Auric left us forever

Quote:
I never thought that i would be writing this so soon, whole family is so heartbroken and we still can not wipe our tears with the pain that Auric has left us with.
Its tough to overcome such a loss. I lost my Indian Spitz over 2 years ago and I know exactly how you feel. She was 13 years old.

Just imagine he is in a better place and there is no more suffering and it will make you feel better.

Only time would heal this. Take Care.
Old 19th January 2016, 17:11   #4042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Breakfast time at home. My wife makes rotis and then hand feeds all three of them ...
Isn't that a bad idea? Does these eat when your wife isn't around? Some dogs take it as a habit and don't eat unless the very same person feeds them every single time.

I remember our dachshund at grand parent's home; he used to go bonkers when others take food to him; used to get very aggressive and was mad at anyone staying in the close vicinity when he eats. I have had couple of minor bruises as I managed to escape a couple of times. The female dachshund used to be quite normal at the same time.

But, if we take the plate to him and feed him with our hands, he used to be OK. No one except my grandparents could manage him while feeding. Same used to happen if anyone takes a stick to him other than them.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th January 2016 at 17:14.
Old 19th January 2016, 17:23   #4043
BHPian

Terribly sorry for your loss @coolboy and may Auric rest in peace, he is beautiful and 4.5 years is no age to go :(
Old 20th January 2016, 10:39   #4044
BHPian

I don't have a pet, but I need some help in looking after a dog.

I regularly visit a temple in Lonavala.
Over the years, we have seen a few stray dogs coming into the premises but they usually leave on their own after a few months.

It so happened that a couple of years back a female doggie came into the temple compound and made it her home. She is very well behaved and docile.

The doggie is always on her own free to roam around in and out of the compound. She has been never leashed all her life. One thing though, she does come back at specific times to get her food and the temple staff do keep her food at specific places at specific times. Essentially she is a pet but is "free".
I have gotten great friends with her. She even recognizes my car and comes running to the gate when I visit.

About a month back, a puppy also strayed into the temple compound. We have no clue if this is her pup.

A few times the puppy tried to play with her but she was not too happy with it (1 bark is enough to scare the puppy).

The compound is big enough to have 2 dogs with enough "space" for themselves. Food is also not at issue.

Since its a temple, we serve only veg food. The elder doggie loves sweet stuff. The pup likes rotis etc. They are not served fried items and I have heard that it can make dogs aggressive.

That is the story.. now some questions.
What are the vaccinations that are needed for a pet dog?
Anyone ever had a pet stray dog? How did you care for it?
Old 20th January 2016, 10:48   #4045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
What are the vaccinations that are needed for a pet dog?
Anyone ever had a pet stray dog? How did you care for it?
Are you planning to adopt the pup?
Good on you!
You only need to take him to a vet a get his vaccination card made. The vet will advise on the schedule of all the vaccinations required. If you arent planning to adopt, call up a local friendicoes/SPCA like body. You can arrange and tie up with them to get vaccinations and spaying done.

As for keeping a stray, they are EXTREMELY hardy, un-demanding, and extremely friendly. Very good company, and easy to keep.
Old 20th January 2016, 10:56   #4046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Are you planning to adopt the pup?
Good on you!
You only need to take him to a vet a get his vaccination card made. The vet will advise on the schedule of all the vaccinations required. If you arent planning to adopt, call up a local friendicoes/SPCA like body. You can arrange and tie up with them to get vaccinations and spaying done.

As for keeping a stray, they are EXTREMELY hardy, un-demanding, and extremely friendly. Very good company, and easy to keep.
Thanks mayankk.
I visit the place every 2 weeks or so. I don't intend to get the pup to my home. Its better for the pup to be in its natural and free environment.
Anyone with reference to any SPCA or likes in Lonavala will be very helpful.
Old 20th January 2016, 10:57   #4047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Isn't that a bad idea? Does these eat when your wife isn't around? Some dogs take it as a habit and don't eat unless the very same person feeds them every single time.
No such problems. They are fed rotis/bread in the morning followed by milk. Then they get rice & meat by 5 PM. Only the roti/bread is hand fed by my wife. She does that as it makes her feel relaxed. All other food is served by our maid. All three are well behaved, non-aggressive and get along great with each other. On those occasions when we are out of station, our maid cares for them and feeds them. They have no issues eating, even when we are not around.
Old 26th January 2016, 19:38   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Only some one who has owned and cared for
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
OMG, my heart sank when I read this. I lost my Goofy too at 13 yrs of age. He had liver failure and the last two days were
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hang in there, @coolboy ! Can understand what you are going through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Its tough to overcome such a loss. I lost my Indian Spitz over 2 years ago and I know exactly how you feel. She was 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Terribly sorry for your loss @coolboy and may Auric rest in peace, he is beautiful and 4.5 years is no age to go :(
Thanks for your wishes brothers, my baby is in heaven and peacefully away from all these medicines and pain. I have a touring job and it is sad to see my parents being left alone, in talks with a well reputed breeder and would welcome Auric's descendant soon in our family. Auric can never be replaced buti dont think i can live without the love of a four legged companion.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 26th January 2016 at 19:41.
Old 27th January 2016, 01:52   #4049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Auric can never be replaced buti dont think i can live without the love of a four legged companion.
My mother used to spend a week saying that she would not have another dog, because she could not bear the loss. The following week, she would be discovering that she could not bear to live without one.

Cat people don't have the choice... whether we want or not, one will always arrive.
Old 14th February 2016, 18:18   #4050
BHPian

The kitten I had cared for is missing for the past one week. I feel terrible as it took me as its mother. It used to be always with me.

Just near my main gate they have a EB junction box. A stray cat must have wandered in when the door was carelessly left open. That poor cat was electrocuted and only when the stench was out I opened the box.

This death trap can kill a playful child or some unsuspecting animals. If you have a junction box nearby, make sure that it is always locked.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-electricutedcat.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ebbox.jpg  

Most Viewed