Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 13:11   #4066
BHPian

Cocker Spaniel pups

Hey guys,

My sister's got 4 pups in Bangalore. If anyone's interested, do ping or call on 8019669933. She's only looking for a good home and expenditure of vaccines and doc visits will be shared if you'll wish to contribute on same. This bloodline has amazingly calm temperament and seems to get trained easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160318wa0014.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160318wa0013.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160318wa0012.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160307wa0060.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160307wa00551.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2016, 11:46   #4067
BANNED

Re: Cocker Spaniel pups

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Hey guys,
My sister's got 4 pups in Bangalore. If anyone's interested, do ping or call on 8019669933. She's only looking for a good home and expenditure of vaccines and doc visits will be shared if you'll wish to contribute on same. This bloodline has amazingly calm temperament and seems to get trained easily.
Fabulous photos, absynthguzzler - I'll certainly inform folks here in Lucknow & if they are interested, the'll get in touch. Am attaching a couple from our own trunk!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0056.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0069.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2016, 11:55   #4068
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

I do not have a pet and thus I am unaware about raising new born animals but wouldn't it be wrong to separate pups in this case from their mother. It must be mentally devastating for both the mum and the kids to lose the initial bonding and affection.
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:02   #4069
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hey guys,

Please allow minimum 8 weeks with the mother before separation.
The little chaps need sustenance and she needs to nurse them for this much time at least so that they develop the required immunity etc.
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:18   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please allow minimum 8 weeks with the mother before separation.
The little chaps need sustenance and she needs to nurse them for this much time at least so that they develop the required immunity etc.
Aye aye.

Uploading some pics of our family's love for dogs, terriers in particular. Grandfather's efforts were appreciated at the recently held dog show in Hyd.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0056.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0055.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0054.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0052.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0053.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0045.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0047.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160322wa0050.jpg  

Old 24th March 2016, 18:31   #4071
BHPian

Guys, we are getting a new Labrador in a couple of days. This will be the first pet for us and we are very excited to make it a part of our family.

I need your inputs on the food and feeding schedules for the dog. Is pedigree and Royal Canin good for lab pups? Should it be dry or can we mix with water or milk? Can we also feed home food like rotis, rice, bread, etc.?

P.S. - We are vegetarians..
Old 24th March 2016, 19:01   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, we are getting a new Labrador in a couple of days. This will be the first pet for us and we are very excited to make it a part of our family.

I need your inputs on the food and feeding schedules for the dog. Is pedigree and Royal Canin good for lab pups? Should it be dry or can we mix with water or milk? Can we also feed home food like rotis, rice, bread, etc.?

When I had my lab, she never liked pedigree. She loved home made food. What i understood was she loved the home made food and good amounts of walk.

We used to get her non veg, and cooked bones too.
Old 24th March 2016, 21:35   #4073
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Aye aye.

Uploading some pics of our family's love for dogs, terriers in particular. Grandfather's efforts were appreciated at the recently held dog show in Hyd.
Good to know you mate!

Your family is a distinguished one indeed.

Old 26th March 2016, 13:12   #4074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please read up on diet and excercise requirements on the net. Labradors are extremely active dogs and require a lot of excercise. We have been giving our Labrador Rice and Meat throughout. Avoid ready made dog food. You can skip the meat and substitute Soya Nuggets. Our Lab also loves rotis and once managed 15 fat ones. Here is the daily rice mix

. Rice - parboiled about 3 cups
. Vegetables - seasonal vegetables will do. Around 1/3 volume of a 5L pressure cooker
. Dal - a couple of table spoons
. Haldi - 1 tea spoon
. Garlic - one pod
. Oil - 2 table spoons

The above mixture should fill up a 5L pressure cooker 75-80%. Pressure cook till first whistle. Then switch the heat off and let it cool for 1 hour.

This makes around 12 portions. One portion twice a day. Be careful not to over feed the Labrador. He can easily consume three portions at a time, but that will result in an obese dog whose leg muscles will be weak creating problems after 5-6 years age.

One thing stressed in all articles is to feed a constant quantity from age of six months. Do not increase the quantity with age.

We also give milk twice a day - breakfast and tea time with a few biscuits.

Ensure that the Labrador has enough exercise. A long walk three times a day does the trick. I walk our one at least three to four kilometers a day.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-26082005002.jpg
2005, age 3 months

Team-BHPians and their Pets-08122005.jpg
2005, age 7 months

Team-BHPians and their Pets-isc_5861.jpg
Today

Team-BHPians and their Pets-isc_1770.jpg

Last edited by Aroy : 26th March 2016 at 13:18.
Old 26th March 2016, 14:49   #4075
BHPian

Quote:

Give home cooked food, add Dal veggies like carrot, bottle gourd, soya nuggets, you can give cottage cheese but in limited qty. Also give omega3 and 6 if possible. Being vegetarian is cool no et all. My current Gaddi would prefer roti and shun meat, he loves dry rotis like crazy. Ensure they are kept active inactivity takes a toll on their health. All the best no matter how many Nanis and dadis are there a mother or father know the best! So get going happily with your new member.
Old 26th March 2016, 16:06   #4076
Distinguished - BHPian

Dogs are not vegetarian, and we should not force it on them.
Old 26th March 2016, 21:51   #4077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Dogs are not vegetarian, and we should not force it on them.
This is note entirely correct. We are non-vegetarians ourselves but our dog used to get sick whenever he was fed meat. He used to be fine drinking milk or eating rice and dal. He was a Gaddi dog and even the Gaddis told us that they feed mostly milk to their dogs and not much else.
Old 27th March 2016, 07:16   #4078
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, we are getting a new Labrador in a couple of days. This will be the first pet for us and we are very excited to make it a part of our family. I need your inputs on the food and feeding schedules for the dog. Is pedigree and Royal Canin good for lab pups? Should it be dry or can we mix with water or milk? Can we also feed home food like rotis, rice, bread, etc.?
Hello satan's valet,

There is no such thing as a pure non-veg dog diet for our pets - domesticated dogs (our pets) have adapted to an omnivorous diet over generations, unlike their wild brethren, the dhole or Indian wild dog and its associated wild cousins elsewhere. Otherwise the large nos. of perfectly healthy and active Labs (on a pure vegetarian diet) among our friends would not have survived to tell the tale! I am attaching a guide for canine vegetarian diet (with the web URL) so that you can start off your pet on a firm vegetarian footing. Please remember that pups will need correspondingly lighter diet once they have been weaned off mother's milk. Google uncle is of great help in this too.

We are an omnivorous family at home! - and so have been giving our pets home cooked food from their puppy stage. Lots of vegetables, approximately 250 gms of meat (pork or beef, mutton is expensive for us) and only a handful of pellets (commercially available dog food). The whole thing is pressure-cooked - except for the pellets, and chappaties, which are added to the dog bowl at the time of serving. Strictly no salt or spices. And this major meal is given twice a day, with smaller snacks (dog biscuits and the like) in between. Their last meal of the day (the 2nd major meal) is over by 7.30 - 8.00 pm, before they are taken out for their last stroll of the day.

I hope this is of some help and I'm sure other members will give useful inputs too.

Enjoy your new family member. Just remember that Labs need more physical workouts than other popular breeds - the large nos. of overweight pets that we see around is proof that owners are not devoting enough time and energy to their pets. And believe me, acquiring a pet is just the start of a long and energy-consuming exercise and a serious labour of love!
Attached Files
File Type: docx Vegan dog food in india.docx (14.3 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by shashanka : 27th March 2016 at 07:23. Reason: missed out a few things
Old 27th March 2016, 11:01   #4079
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello satan's valet,

There is no such thing as a pure non-veg dog diet for our pets - domesticated dogs (our pets) have adapted to an omnivorous diet over generations, unlike their wild brethren, the dhole or Indian wild dog and its associated wild cousins elsewhere. Otherwise the large nos. of perfectly healthy and active Labs (on a pure vegetarian diet) among our friends would not have survived to tell the tale! I am attaching a guide for canine vegetarian diet (with the web URL).....
I am copying the vegetarian diet as follows :-

1) http://bluecrossofindia.org/?page_id=2026

Vegetarian Diet For Dog

Vegetarian Diet for Dogs
This recipe has been specially formulated by the Protein Foods & Nutrition Development Association of India.
Ingredients:
1.Defatted Soya flour 480 gms
2.Wheat flour 160 gms
3.Bajra flour 160 gms
4.Maize flour 160 gms
5.Edible oil 20 gms
6.Skimmed milk powder 10 gms
7.Dried yeast powder 5 gms
8.Salt 5 gms
The above is made into a dough with sufficient water. The dough is rolled out into thick chapttis and baked in an oven as you would biscuits.

Main meal :
Vegetables which are to be used :
Onions, garlic, carrots, spinach and other greens, beans potatoes, cabbage, peas and all kinds of sprouted seeds. Of these garlic, onion and potatoes must be used and a few of the others can be used every day to add variety to meals.

Method of preparation per dog to be fed:
Heat minimum amount of mustard oil and add 15 to 20 gms. Chopped garlic and stir untillight brown. Add the other Vegetables cut into small pieces (potatoes must be one of them) and cook over low flame for 5-10 minutes along with a small pinch of turmeric powder. Add a pinch of salt and one cup of water. Close the lid and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes.

This soup can be mixed with either pieces of bread, dry chapattis or oa cooked mixture of equal quantities of rice and moong daal (kichadi). In all cases ensure that there is sufficient liquid for easy mastication.
This main meal may be given between 3 and 6 p.m.

Subsidiary meal:
The subsidiary meal normally given in the morning between 8 and 10 a.m. consists of milk and bread or milk and rice. Yeast powder or two crushed yeast tablet can be added to the above.

General:
Besides giving the dogs the vegetarian dog biscuits mentioned above, rusks may be given as a snack. Raw whole carrots give the dog something hard to chew on and add necessary vitamins besides serving to clean their teeth.

I was having trouble opening the word document with the diet guideline and so decided to copy & paste the above. Sorry if any inconvenience was caused.

Last edited by shashanka : 27th March 2016 at 11:03.
Old 28th March 2016, 09:10   #4080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
When I had my lab, she never liked pedigree. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Please read up on diet and excercise requirements on the net.

Attachment 1490625
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I am copying the vegetarian diet as follows :-
Thanks for the detailed responses guys..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks