Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 11:33   #4156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Any other breeds which come to your mind?

Mudhol Hound(Brother doesnt like them as they do not satisfy on looks quotient and have a ferocious nature).
If you are considering our own breeds - Why not an Indian Mastiff (if you can find one - mind you I don't mean what goes around as "Bully Kutta")

Team-BHPians and their Pets-untitled.jpg

This picture is from a YouTube clip I have seen recently - doesn't his face depict a "Regal Stance"

I don't know where they are who has them. I am sure some TBHPian will have some more info on this (I would like that info as well please)

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 28th April 2016, 13:15   #4157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
If you are considering our own breeds - Why not an Indian Mastiff ........... I am sure some TBHPian will have some more info on this (I would like that info as well please)

Ram

Hello Ram,
The Indian Mastiff is indeed a regal animal. I don't know much about them either (being addicted to boxers for almost two decades), but fellow T-BHPian vickzkool & his family have owned a Rajyapalam hound for several years. It is also a splendid looking creature (I mistook one for a whippet when I first saw one at a Mumbai show) and has an illustrious history as vickzkool explained in his post (post #19 in my thread "Naukuchiatal - far from the madding crowd" in the travelogue section). I do not know anyone else who has owned/owns an indigenous breed.

I'd feel that being locally bred since inception, these animals - the indigenous breeds - would be more hardy with greater resistance & immunity to illness and disease than the other more exotic lot. Our boxers, for all the love & affection that we lavish on them & vice versa - they are irresistible with their clownish, fun-loving nature - have more fragile constitutions than many of the pets that we see around us.

Last edited by shashanka : 28th April 2016 at 13:19.
Old 28th April 2016, 14:15   #4158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As per Kennel Club of UK the Color Standards are as follows:

Colour Black or black saddle with tan, or gold to light grey markings. All black, all grey, with lighter or brown markings referred to as Sables. Bi-colour: Predominantly black, may have tan or gold markings on head, chest, legs and feet; black markings may be present on toes and rear pasterns. Nose black. ... ... ...
In my infant and early years, my mother had two alsations, mother and daughter. The daughter was pure white!
Old 28th April 2016, 18:04   #4159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In my infant and early years, my mother had two alsations, mother and daughter. The daughter was pure white!
TEG,

Very true - in early 1960s and 1970s there used to be quiet a few "White Alsatians" around. But almost none of late.

If you look at the "color standard" I quoted in the earlier post, white is considered undesirable - "Blues, livers, albinos, whites (i.e. almost pure white dogs with black noses) and near whites highly undesirable."

That may be the reason, why you don't find may whites these days - may be they were "bread out" by the breeders in India as well.

Nevertheless the white ones I knew were excellent companions.

Ram
Old 28th April 2016, 18:47   #4160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge - Alsatian and German Shepherd are one and the same. The GS were referred to as Alsatians during the height of anti German sentiments leading up to WW 1 and after - the name Alsatian - is after the Germanic region of Alsace & Lorraine - because at that point of time a lot of people in rest of Europe did not want to be partial to anything German including animals originating from there.

Alsatians are from Alsace Lorraine. And this area is part of France but was originally a part of the Austro German/ Prussian Empire. Today also it has a high proportion of German Speaking People. The food is more Germanic than French.

Alsatians and German Shepherd Dogs are one and the same. A close cousin is the Belgian Malinois - they make wonderful Sniffer Dogs for Police Work too.

Alsatians, according to me, are the BEST Breed in the world. The Most Loyal. We've always had them at our home.

To answer one more post about the Mastiff being Ferocious - no dog is inherently ferocious. It all depends on how the dog is brought up.

We've had all sorts of dogs including Irish Setters, Labradors, Dobermans,Cross Bred fellows (Alsatian-Dobermann Cross, Alsatian Weimaraner Cross etc), Weimaraners, Alsatians and some Indies too. They were all loved and treated as our pets. None of them were wicked or ferocious inherently.

Pets also make wonderful watch dogs and protect a person from a likely aggressor.

Humans in general are idiots. Especially those who don't know how to behave with an animal. If you give the animal its space and some respect, the chances of it getting aggressive, are rare!

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th April 2016 at 06:30. Reason: Shortening quote :)
Old 28th April 2016, 19:02   #4161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I'd feel that being locally bred since inception, these animals - the indigenous breeds - would be more hardy with greater resistance & immunity to illness and disease than the other more exotic lot.
+1. We have had a Mudhol hound, and it was one hardy dog. The lean frame belied it's strength. But yes, it was quite independent natured, and it's hunting nature evident in many things it did.
Old 28th April 2016, 21:46   #4162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1. We have had a Mudhol hound, and it was one hardy dog. The lean frame belied it's strength. But yes, it was quite independent natured, and it's hunting nature evident in many things it did.
I agree with Condor,

We had a Mudhol when i was young and it is not a dog meant for City life, they are very nomadic in nature, expect the dog to hunt down anything it perceives as prey from squirrels to cats and everything in between.
Old 28th April 2016, 21:46   #4163
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Thad,

It was nice to know that you had a white Alsatian in the family earlier! As you've seen, one of our boxers (Pearl) is also white and as is usually the case, it is a comparative rarity - app. 25% are born white (http://www.allboxerinfo.com/white-boxer-dogs), and fortunately, Pearl is free of any of the defects (deafness, blindness etc) associated with white boxers.

Also we have not cropped the ears of any of our pets after learning that Crufts (the grand-daddy of kennel clubs!) actively discourages the practice.

Last edited by shashanka : 28th April 2016 at 21:48.
Old 29th April 2016, 00:32   #4164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge - Alsatian and German Shepherd are one and the same.

It pains when an dog lover gets the facts wrong and hence this post just for your info.
Didnt mean to offend you but explanation given below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
GS and Alsatian are the same.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Alsatians are from Alsace Lorraine.

Humans in general are idiots. Especially those who don't know how to behave with an animal. If you give the animal its space and some respect, the chances of it getting aggressive, are rare!
Thanks all. I agree with Shankars point. I knew both these are the same but the reason for this confusion was we had two dogs which looked like Wolf dogs and was told to be alsations when we were in school. This was early 90s and here is a picture of the type of structure the dogs had including color. Thats why i asked the naive query on it. I will get a proper picture of my old pets when my brother visits home in a couple of days.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-wolf-dog.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1. We have had a Mudhol hound, and it was one hardy dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I agree with Condor,
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Thad,
Wanted a Mudhol too but as we currently have a Doberman do not want the kennel to become too ferocious of a place. The Indian breed video is really nice. Looks very different with a mix of features. Punjab i heard has a lot of folks breeding tough dogs and doing some illegal stuff too.

Thanks,
Maddy
Old 29th April 2016, 00:46   #4165
BHPian

They are Siberian Huskies @maddy42 not German Shepherds Beautiful dogs, really smart and energetic. Adorable
Old 29th April 2016, 00:51   #4166
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks all. I agree with Shankars point. I knew both these are the same but the reason for this confusion was we had two dogs which looked like Wolf dogs and was told to be alsations when we were in school. This was early 90s and here is a picture of the type of structure the dogs had including color. Thats why i asked the naive query on it. I will get a proper picture of my old pets when my brother visits home in a couple of days.

Attachment 1501584

Thanks,
Maddy
These look like Siberian Husky to me.
Well also posting the pic of one of my Doberman, she is Drew. Extremely happy and playful one.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20160328wa0006.jpg  

Old 29th April 2016, 01:03   #4167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
They are Siberian Huskies @maddy42 not German Shepherds Beautiful dogs, really smart and energetic. Adorable
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
These look like Siberian Husky to me.
Well also posting the pic of one of my Doberman, she is Drew. Extremely happy and playful one.
These are sample pictures from google, not the real doggies. I have older pictures of my pets in an album at home. Will try get a hold of it soon. I have a video of my Doberman jumping, will post it soon.

Maddy
Old 29th April 2016, 07:21   #4168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted a Mudhol too but as we currently have a Doberman do not want the kennel to become too ferocious of a place.
I dont think either are as ferocious as they are made out to be. Both are quite playful too. (We have had both). My mother used to take him on his walk with ease, and I have seen couple of others too. The dogs have been quit relaxed.

Dogs normally breathe in a panting style. Even a lion does. But not the Mudhol !

Thinking about our Mudhol makes me want to get one again .
Old 29th April 2016, 09:17   #4169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Alsatians are from Alsace Lorraine. And this area is part of France but was originally a part of the Austro German/ Prussian Empire. Today also it has a high proportion of German Speaking People. The food is more Germanic than French. Alsatians and German Shepherd Dogs are one and the same. A close cousin is the Belgian Malinois - they make wonderful Sniffer Dogs for Police Work too. Alsatians, according to me, are the BEST Breed in the world. The Most Loyal. We've always had them at our home.
To answer one more post about the Mastiff being Ferocious - no dog is inherently ferocious. It all depends on how the dog is brought up.
We've had all sorts of dogs including Irish Setters, Labradors, Dobermans,Cross Bred fellows (Alsatian-Dobermann Cross, Alsatian Weimaraner Cross etc), Weimaraners, Alsatians and some Indies too. They were all loved and treated as our pets. None of them were wicked or ferocious inherently.
Pets also make wonderful watch dogs and protect a person from a likely aggressor.
Hello Shankar, this will be wildly off-topic, but seeing mention of Alsace Lorraine drew me like a magnet - the Schlumpf collection (the worlds largest collection of pre-war Buggatis - 122! - among other exotics, now a public museum in Mulhouse, France, ) was put together by the wily Schlumpf brothers (http://www.sportscardigest.com/schlu...-photo-gallery) who originally came from the Alsace region and built up their early fortune in and around the place. Knowing you share this interest in the pre-war period, I thought of slipping this tid-bit in! Mods, please feel free to delete if you think it inappropriate.

Quote:
Didnt mean to offend you but explanation given below. Thanks all. I agree with Shankars point......
Thanks,
Maddy
That's a lovely photo. Once you have found the photos of your actual doggies, please do post them. It would be interesting - there's usually a bit of confusion about this breed, whether its the Siberian husky or the Alaskan malamute. There are differences of course (the eyes, rounded or slanting) but superficially they look similar.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:02   #4170
Senior - BHPian

Here is a short video of our Doberman. Tyson is known to jump and escape his kennel through various gaps. Has the sharpest ears too!

Most Viewed