Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 06:29   #4261
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
It's a little kitty, around 2-3 months old.
I suggest you read this:

http://www.hillspet.ie/en-ie/cat-kit...ur-kitten.html

We were a little late vaccinating two stray pups a couple of years ago and they they managed to catch the parvo virus. Luckily they survived, but it was pure hell for about a month.

Get the kitten vaccinated ASAP.
Old 14th December 2016, 20:13   #4262
Distinguished - BHPian

I always saw this behaviour with my Labrador, who has now passed on to a better world, that he used to always be very protective of children whenever our parents tried to scold us. Both when we were young and later whenever their was a child home, it was almost a game to watch him suddenly come running from the other corner of the house on hearing a commotion and then display clear aggression towards the elder who was acting out the part of being angry. There are many videos of the same too on the internet. Why is it so? Are Labradors generally protective or is it just that they don't like noise?
Old 15th December 2016, 11:56   #4263
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I suggest you read this:

http://www.hillspet.ie/en-ie/cat-kit...ur-kitten.html

We were a little late vaccinating two stray pups a couple of years ago and they they managed to catch the parvo virus. Luckily they survived, but it was pure hell for about a month.

Get the kitten vaccinated ASAP.
So a lot happened since my last post.

She got badly ill. Didn't eat for 2 days & kept vomiting. And by yesterday evening could barely move.

Took her to the doc. Doc said it's worms. And gave her some oral medicines & also a shot. Within a few hours, she was back to her old self. Will take her for vaccination after she gets OK. Doc recommended rabies vaccine & virus vaccine.

I have a question about food.
She is around 3 months old (that's what the doctor's helper said after looking at her teeth)

How much should be eating. Till now, I have fed her only raw mandli fish from the fisherman. She could eat it almost continuously from morning till night till she fell ill. So I have to decide how much she should eat - she will never stop. From yesterday, I have tried Whiskas tuna in jelly & drools dry ocean fish. She likes both.

Assuming I am feed her these 2 - how many grams per day?

Instead if I feeding her raw fish - how much per day - mandli is very small fish.

Also, can she eat raw chicken or raw mutton or is it only cooked?

I have also fed her fried eggs & she seems OK with it.

How much should a cat her age eat?
Old 15th December 2016, 12:15   #4264
BHPian

Quote:

She got badly ill. Didn't eat for 2 days & kept vomiting. And by yesterday evening could barely move.

Took her to the doc. Doc said it's worms. And gave her some oral medicines & also a shot. Within a few hours, she was back to her old self. Will take her for vaccination after she gets OK. Doc recommended rabies vaccine & virus vaccine.
I'm not a cat person, but the procedure followed by you so far mirrors what I will be doing for the pups. I think the kitten will require a booster dose after a month. Check with the vet

Quote:
She is around 3 months old (that's what the doctor's helper said after looking at her teeth)

How much should be eating.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/fee...ood-and-treats

What you feed your kitten will depend on how much you want to spend. We just cook up a huge pressure cooker filled with rice, ragi, other pulses and add 1/2 a boiled egg/dog. All left over scraps from veggies and bones also go in for good measure. We de-worm our dogs once in 3-4 months.
Old 15th December 2016, 14:25   #4265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How much should be eating. Till now, I have fed her only raw mandli fish from the fisherman. She could eat it almost continuously from morning till night till she fell ill. So I have to decide how much she should eat - she will never stop. From yesterday, I have tried Whiskas tuna in jelly & drools dry ocean fish. She likes both.

Assuming I am feed her these 2 - how many grams per day?

Instead if I feeding her raw fish - how much per day - mandli is very small fish.

Also, can she eat raw chicken or raw mutton or is it only cooked?

I have also fed her fried eggs & she seems OK with it.

From my experience of having cats continuously in the house since the time I can remember:

There is a himalaya medicine called digyton - especially good for stomach related issues. Use as directed on the bottle.
Another himalaya medicine called Himpyrin - for fever and pain remedy.

cats, at young age, have less control on what they eat - so please control her diet, and please do not give raw fish.

Cook some fish+rice+pinch of salt +pinch of turmeric in a bowl, and feed her that - a 3 month old one shall need 6 times a day, about 3-4 spoons each time.

As cats grow up, their need for food changes.
The toms in our house eat 4 times a day - morning 1 saucer milk, afternoon lunch (2-3 handfulls of rice+fish/chicken, evening 1 handful of dry whiskas, night 1/2 handful dry whiskas).
The old female (8+ years) only eats the morning and lunch meals.
The young female (2+ years) eats only whiskas, 4-6 times a day a handful each time.

Cats do not want to drink water, and mostly get the water they need from their food. If they do drink, its from flowing sources. less water and more dry food shall mean stool and urine problems.
So give her wet food till she grows up.
You can give the whiskas dry food as treats.

As a thumb rule try to avoid raw fish/chicken. And avoid other items like the ones mentioned below:

https://www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/...oisonous-cats/

Let me know for anything else you would require advice on.

Last edited by blackasta : 15th December 2016 at 14:27.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 15:09   #4266
BANNED

Quote:
We de-worm our dogs once in 3-4 months.
Is it at home or at the doctor? Is it oral or an injection? If oral, how do you get the dog to take it?
Old 15th December 2016, 15:50   #4267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it at home or at the doctor? Is it oral or an injection? If oral, how do you get the dog to take it?
Please AVOID DROOL. Drool has been known to cause kidney failure in cats, and is well documented online. Avoid Drool!

https://www.facebook.com/CattitudeTr...80072858679396

Quote:
Warning all Cat people: The cat food brand DROOLS is being linked, more and more, with urinary blockages. Top Cat went on the banned list with all ethical vets some time ago, as it led to several fatalities and the link was impossible to deny. The same has been true of Drools of late, so if your cat is on Drools please switch brands TODAY and spare him or her the risk. Remember that in a male cat a urinary blockage is potentially fatal. Top Cat and Drools are now on our banned list. We have given all our cats Royal Canin, Whiskas and MeO for many years without any such problems. Please do not be too ready to experiment with new brands in the market unless very well known and tried and tested. Keep your beloved kitty safe and well by sticking to the safer brands of cat food. Of course, if you are giving your kitty home cooked fish or chicken etc (with pumpkin our vets tell us ) all the better, but if on commercial food, remember, no Top Cat, no Drools.
I go with Royal Canin - its expensive but better than the other stuff you get in the market - including Whiskas. I struggle to even cook my own food, forget her's.

Sid has given some superb feedback, I will probably pinch some tips from there. After reading all this, I might begin home cooked food for her very soon.

Last edited by Red Liner : 15th December 2016 at 15:52.
Old 15th December 2016, 17:04   #4268
BHPian

Quote:
Normally kits an oral dose, a tablet based on the dogs weight.

How to give it is a trickier question which requires a lot of trust between pet and owner. We normally just pry open the jaws and shove the tablet as far at it will go down the throat and then hold the mouth shut until the tablet is swallowed. If you don't want to risk your fingers inside the mouth, you can buy a gadget which is essentially a stick with an attachment at the end to deposit the tablet as described from a pet store.
Old 15th December 2016, 17:05   #4269
BANNED

Quote:
Normally kits an oral dose, a tablet based on the dogs weight.
Which tablet is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Please AVOID DROOL. Drool has been known to cause kidney failure in cats, and is well documented online. Avoid Drool!

https://www.facebook.com/CattitudeTr...80072858679396

I don't see any other page except this. Is it for real?
Old 15th December 2016, 17:55   #4270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which tablet is this?

I don't see any other page except this. Is it for real?
I have quoted the advisory in my post above. Please read it carefully and throw drools into the dustbin. Avoid top cat as well. Stick to whiskas.
Old 15th December 2016, 18:27   #4271
BHPian

Quote:
Which tablet is this?
We give the dogs WormX, but check with your vet on what to give the kitten.
Old 16th December 2016, 09:01   #4272
BANNED

Quote:
We give the dogs WormX, but check with your vet on what to give the kitten.
Thank you.

For cat owners, I have another question.

So, my cat is not a house cat. But if it gets cold, I let her come inside in the night.

What kind of kitty litter should I buy for her? She is around 3 months old. Do all kittens adapt to kitty litter? How big a box should I put the litter in - I am planning to just buy some plastic box from a plastic shop rather than buy a specific litter box. How frequently should the litter be changed?
Old 17th December 2016, 17:43   #4273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

For cat owners, I have another question.

So, my cat is not a house cat. But if it gets cold, I let her come inside in the night.

What kind of kitty litter should I buy for her? She is around 3 months old. Do all kittens adapt to kitty litter? How big a box should I put the litter in - I am planning to just buy some plastic box from a plastic shop rather than buy a specific litter box. How frequently should the litter be changed?
Check Amazon.in for kitty litter, there are a few good brands available. Look up the reviews and choose one. Yes cats love cat litter, you kitty will take to it like fish to water, so don't worry.

Yes any large size plastic box will do. It has to be big, 2 feet by 1foot.

Chsnge the litter every month. Buy a cat litter scooper. Amazon again. Scoop the crud alone (it will be solid) and dispose it separately. Then pour a little bit of new litter over the top and it will seem fresh again.
Old 21st December 2016, 15:13   #4274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Check Amazon.in for kitty litter, there are a few good brands available.
Bought clumping litter at a local shop - price was less than half the amazon prices - it's a brand called Vinty & 5 kgs of litter cost 199Rs. And the kitty has taken to it.

Next question. I am planning to feed boneless chicken to the kitty. What's the easiest way to cook it. I am not a cook at all - someone describe what's the easiest way I can boil it or something before feeding it to the kitten.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 17:26   #4275
Senior - BHPian

We are planning to adopt a dog into the family. We are looking at Labrador retriever, as the breed is very friendly and easy to handle for first timers. Please suggest a good breeder in Bangalore who breeds quality Labs with minimal genetic issues.

Thanks in Advance.
DF.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks