Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:21   #4306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have this thought that cats can be left behind when one goes out on a holiday.
No...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
It's hard on the pets who are accustomed to getting food handed out to them to forage for food.
Indeed. A fully domesticated cat cannot be left without a daily carer/feeder.

Cats can also be just as emotionally dependent. On one occasion, when we had been away for a month, despite being cared for by a familiar maid who was fond of them, our two cats fared very differently: the lady cat was fine, but the male cat was distraught.
Old 6th February 2017, 08:53   #4307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Hi guys,

Found a healthy female Labrador of ~1 year at marina beach chennai. Have brought her home for now.
Need immediate help in connecting with any NGO who deals in adoption and rehabilitation of lost pets.

- Adhiraj
Hi, Sorry for the delayed response. Please post this in Bombat Dawgz forum on Facebook. There are lots of people out there who could help you.
Old 8th February 2017, 19:26   #4308
Senior - BHPian

A street dog near my house has developed aural hematoma.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-hea...ket_in_the_ear

One ear has swollen to the likeness of a waterfilled balloon, only that it is blood that has accumulated between the ear skin and cartilage. The poor animal is in visible discomfort and shakes her head even more. Even refuses food sometimes.

Although she is a regular visitor to our house for bread/biscuits/dog food, and I have administered medicine to her open wounds multiple times, taking her to a vet may be a long shot for the following reasons:
  • She might become aggressive to the vet, if not me.
  • Abundance of other street dogs near the vet clinic who are fiercely territorial and might attack her
  • I have no problems putting her in my car and the vet clinic is just 5 mins drive away, but she has never got into a car and may behave unpredictably

Anyone has any domestic solution/remedy? else I have to try and take her to the vet despite all the mentioned problems.
Old 8th February 2017, 20:33   #4309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-hea...ket_in_the_ear

One ear has swollen to the likeness of a waterfilled balloon, only that it is blood that has accumulated between the ear skin and cartilage. The poor animal is in visible discomfort and shakes her head even more. Even refuses food sometimes.

Although she is a regular visitor to our house for bread/biscuits/dog food, and I have administered medicine to her open wounds multiple times, taking her to a vet may be a long shot for the following reasons:
  • She might become aggressive to the vet, if not me.
  • Abundance of other street dogs near the vet clinic who are fiercely territorial and might attack her
  • I have no problems putting her in my car and the vet clinic is just 5 mins drive away, but she has never got into a car and may behave unpredictably

Anyone has any domestic solution/remedy? else I have to try and take her to the vet despite all the mentioned problems.
Our Lab had the same problem. Took him to VET a couple of times. He drained the blood each time, but it filled up again in a couple of weeks. After two visits we just ignored the condition, and the blood dried up in a few weeks. So if you cannot take the dog to a Vet, just let it be and the ear will dry up on its own.
Old 8th February 2017, 21:02   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Our Lab had the same problem. Took him to VET a couple of times. He drained the blood each time, but it filled up again in a couple of weeks. After two visits we just ignored the condition, and the blood dried up in a few weeks. So if you cannot take the dog to a Vet, just let it be and the ear will dry up on its own.
Thanks. Let me monitor for a few more days and if the situation worsens then maybe I shall try the vet on the weekend.
Old 9th February 2017, 00:01   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Let me monitor for a few more days and if the situation worsens then maybe I shall try the vet on the weekend.
Hi Blackasta,

I would recommend to take him to vet if you can. I have taken a stray from my society to a vet in my car. She was just fine. You would need someone to be with you in the car while you are driving just in case he feels restless he can calm him down. I have lost a beautiful dog just because I was hesitant to take him to vet because of the same reasons and eventually ended up adopting his two siblings.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:07   #4312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two options come to my mind

1. Get the vet to your place if you could
2. Administer some sedatives on the vet's recommendation and should be easy since the dog comes to you for food and then take to the vet in a vehicle.
Old 10th February 2017, 13:03   #4313
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
After two visits we just ignored the condition, and the blood dried up in a few weeks. So if you cannot take the dog to a Vet, just let it be and the ear will dry up on its own.
Aural Hematoma can heal by itself in a couple of weeks but the chances are that the ear will remain permanently disfigured.

Aspiration of the blood is also not recommended - in most cases the cvity just fills up with blood again.

You can try some homeopathy if you like - Arnica M 200 and Hamamelis 200. Whilst 3 pills, 3 times a day is the norm, I would still prefer you spoke with a vet on dosage.

I am not a vet, just an owner who has had the same issue with one of my dogs and this is something that worked.
Old 10th February 2017, 13:03   #4314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Two options come to my mind

1. Get the vet to your place if you could
2. Administer some sedatives on the vet's recommendation and should be easy since the dog comes to you for food and then take to the vet in a vehicle.
Thanks for the advice, but both are difficult due to the following reason:

1. Get the vet to your place if you could - I reach home after office by 10:30-11 PM. Vet's not available at that time.

2. Administer some sedatives on the vet's recommendation and should be easy since the dog comes to you for food and then take to the vet in a vehicle. - Let me think about this option. BTW this dog is a clever one. Once some moron threw scalding hot water or boiling rice water on her back (yes - these type of people exist in the society). She had a huge wound on her back and I got some medicines from the vet to treat her. The spray / ointment part was somehow achieved, injection was also given, but she just refuses to take any oral medicine. The common trick with dogs is to use your thumb and middle finger to pry open their muzzle from the sides, take the pill on the middle finger of the other hand and place it on her throat, and then close the muzzle for a few seconds so that they swallow. This dog simply refuses to swallow medicines , even left out the pill out from a meal, and refused to eat a meal with crushed pill !! Luckily the spray/ointment/injection was enough for her at that time for the wound to heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Aural Hematoma can heal by itself in a couple of weeks but the chances are that the ear will remain permanently disfigured.

Aspiration of the blood is also not recommended - in most cases the cvity just fills up with blood again.

You can try some homeopathy if you like - Arnica M 200 and Hamamelis 200. Whilst 3 pills, 3 times a day is the norm, I would still prefer you spoke with a vet on dosage.

I am not a vet, just an owner who has had the same issue with one of my dogs and this is something that worked.
Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 10th February 2017, 13:44   #4315
BHPian

I had a terrible start of the day today. I just killed a kitten under my car, and I have already died thousand times with it. Saw him struggling with the pain I made him go through. I still can see him with all that blood, I almost had tears then and I almost am feeling like crying right now in my office. I stood there watching him die because there is nothing more I could do.

A few months ago a cat and her three kittens made my parking lot her home and I was more than happy to accommodate them. The kittens used to wait for me to come from the office so that they could get into the engine compartment to sleep at night. I knew about this behavior of kittens and I ensured to check the engine compartment every time I started my car. I also ensure to blow horn and check under the car. I did catch them many times sitting on the engine and sometime around the tires, looking at me like -"Eh, we are sleeping, what do you want?". My car still has tiny scratches on its roof and on the engine compartment. It was there play ground. They grew up and went their ways eventually.

Last couple of weeks there were no kittens around, I started to behave normally and not check the engine compartment & under the car. Today, I sat in my car, started the engine, switched on the dash cam, wore my glares, put on the seat belt, switched on the AC and engaged the reverse gear. I felt a a very negligible bump under my left tyre and I skipped a hear beat. Looked in the front of car with shivering hands and praying heart, there he was, struggling and bleeding. There was nothing I could do, I stopped the car, checked him if anything could be done, but he was too small to survive this, he was too small to even understand the car vibrations to have got out from under the car between the time I had started the engine & engaged the reverse gear. I saw him take his last breathe, asked the watchman when did he come in the parking and the watchman said he has been here since a day or two. I wish I had seen him roaming around, I would have been careful. I called my wife and shared this with her, I have called my parents and told them about this, and I am here sharing this with you guys, I just some how want to get this off my chest. I did not mean to harm him, I just did. Today, for the first time I thought I should not have owned a car.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 10th February 2017 at 13:46.
Old 10th February 2017, 14:37   #4316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I had a terrible start of the day today
It's unfortunate, and I have been on the same boat, though on the road while driving, and it was a full grown cat.
Try not to think about the incident, and take care of the ones living around you.
Old 10th February 2017, 15:15   #4317
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I had a terrible start of the day today. I just killed a kitten under my car, and I have already died thousand times with it.
My kitten spends 12 hours (night time) at home & spends the day outside. Outside means our building's parking lot. Half the time he is playing under some car. This is a constant fear in my mind that he will get run over some day. He doesn't sleep there though. He sleeps on my window sill even in the day time.
Old 11th February 2017, 23:25   #4318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had a terrible start of the day today.
Sorry to hear about your experience; have gone through that as a young guy (with a street dog 10 years ago). Honestly this is not going to get off your chest easily, but you will have to get over it.

Please take care for the other kitten(s)/mom cat in the future; maybe bring them inhouse for some time and make them your pets if you can, it could help to ease the pain you are going through.

It happens; one has to be alert; but one can't always take care of every situation. Sorry you had to go through it, especially with a kitten.
Old 18th February 2017, 07:06   #4319
BHPian

Here is our little one growing up 🙂.

We have started training him at home by ourselves with help from the owners of progressive kennels at Hyderabad and videos from YouTube specially by Mr Ramachandran.

Few videos I keep uploading for our memories. Among the heap of them you can see his behaviour with food, during short walks and other aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/user/perish2007

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 22nd February 2017, 07:39   #4320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
We have owned many local breeds over the years. In fact had EIGHT of them at one point when I was a kid but this is the first time I have owned a Lab. Named him ToBo.
Brought him home at two months and its been nearly a month of turmoil in the house. Never before we had someone who has an appetite like him and its been hard to control his intake. I have recently started training him and only thing he grasped is to sit quietly when his food is being served and to seat when given command. Rest of the times he is too engrossed in searching what else to munch on rather than listen to me. Hey but we simply love him!
Attachment 1554532
Tobo is Eight months old now. Weighs 22kgs. I feed him mix of 300gm chicken/300gm vegetables/300gm rice in three portions. Plus multi vitamin tabs and furglow. Daily he has house to his disposal and gets a good running for about 30minutes outdoors. Wifey thinks he is skinny and needs more food. Any suggestions? Also vet said he is too tall for his age!
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20170222_072932.jpg

Last edited by akshay380 : 22nd February 2017 at 08:06.

Most Viewed