Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2017, 21:04   #4396
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
One urgent query but I am not sure if this is the appropriate thread. We have a bad stray dog menace in society. It is gated layout in Bangalore not fully fenced on boundaries. Who can help? Any govt agencies?
By menace do you mean rabid strays? Or a food driven/mating/behavioural issue? Calling the corporation guys will probably mean culling of most of them. Try people for animals as they might help in neutering and relocation etc, will DM you a contact. Whatever you choose to do, please consider putting them down as the absolute last option. Please.
Old 16th May 2017, 09:43   #4397
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Hello all!
I would like introduce Chloe! I found this little girl on the way to my office, running on a very busy road, darting among cars with a huge dog bite. I picked her up and after nearly three weeks in hospital, she is completely alright. I am looking for someone in Chennai to adopt this lovely girl and give her a home. She appears to be a Labrador/Mongrel cross.
Her Rabies vaccines are done, and just Parvo/Distemper vaccines remain. I will have that done in my own expense as well, and when the time is right, she will be spayed, and I will bear the expenses.
Please DM me if you are interested in adopting this bundle of joy!
P.S. She is toilet trained, i.e., if you put out a sheet of newspaper, she will only do her business on it. She doesn't wail at night like most puppies do, but she does bark for attention.
Hello esoticoreventon,

Yes, she looks a little darling alright, and you must be commended for what you are doing. Hats off! We already have our hands full with our pets & also live rather far away! I hope some members in and around your home town would come forward to volunteer to adopt her. You can also try media sites asking for help in finding her a home (tho' you may have already tried this). I wish I could do more to help.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:46   #4398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello esoticoreventon,

Yes, she looks a little darling alright, and you must be commended for what you are doing. Hats off! We already have our hands full with our pets & also live rather far away! I hope some members in and around your home town would come forward to volunteer to adopt her. You can also try media sites asking for help in finding her a home (tho' you may have already tried this). I wish I could do more to help.
Thank so much Shashanka! Just contributing my part to the voiceless and I cannot think of anything that would come close to animal welfare in terms of soul-satisfaction!

Sadly the wound on her side is a put off for potential adopters and I don't think she will be adopted till it gets covered with fur. And the other negative for her is that she is a female! But just trying hard to get her a home!
Old 16th May 2017, 12:31   #4399
BHPian

Lab has got dry skin with dandruff and as a result has turned red in patches. He keeps scratching now. I used to give him furglow but totally forgot since last 3-4 months as I give him home cooked food. Any remedies before I take him to vet? Started furglow again from today.
Old 16th May 2017, 13:16   #4400
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Need help, I have 2 dogs at home and recently they have been moved outdoors due to the arrival of a new baby at home, last week I noticed a lot of fleas on them and these are kind of jumping fleas that attack us as well, I wanted to know if its wise to take them to the vet or will it be better to try out some sprays available at pet shops? Also wanted to know how I can disinfect the surroundings(Hit or any other pesticides?).

Thanks
Pramod
Old 16th May 2017, 14:43   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys,

Need help, I have 2 dogs at home and recently they have been moved outdoors due to the arrival of a new baby at home, last week I noticed a lot of fleas on them and these are kind of jumping fleas that attack us as well, I wanted to know if its wise to take them to the vet or will it be better to try out some sprays available at pet shops? Also wanted to know how I can disinfect the surroundings(Hit or any other pesticides?).

Thanks
Pramod
Take them to the vet asap lest the fleas get into the house & attack the baby!
They can easily transfer from your clothing/body to indoors.
I can recall one unusual experience, after my ex-cat died, fleas attacked me for about 1 week or so after his demise. Was strange because when he was around they never seemed to!
Old 16th May 2017, 15:48   #4402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Take them to the vet asap lest the fleas get into the house & attack the baby!
They can easily transfer from your clothing/body to indoors.
I can recall one unusual experience, after my ex-cat died, fleas attacked me for about 1 week or so after his demise. Was strange because when he was around they never seemed to!
Thanks for the concern, The baby is not here with me, she is with my wife at my inlaws place. The reason I asked this was because, I was thinking wont that affect the car? because I heard fleas love the carpet. What did you do to get rid of the fleas ultimately?

Pramod
Old 16th May 2017, 16:26   #4403
BHPian

Quote:
One urgent query but I am not sure if this is the appropriate thread. We have a bad stray dog menace in society. It is gated layout in Bangalore not fully fenced on boundaries. Who can help? Any govt agencies?
I am not sure if this situation has any answer.

Ok so you bought an expensive gated address and stray at property is an issue.

Let us look at some remedy.

1) Relocation of all stray.
Debatable as Banglore has a huge pool of native breed dogs. Relocation will remove the stray for some time yes but the property will have a new set of stray in no time. Have you seen a bunglow layout, likewise each small patch of road in Banglore is guarded 24*7 selflessly by the native stray.

2) Avoiding feeding stray.
Stray live near habitat for food. You gated community will have small % of members who may indulge in feeding stray. What you can do is ask a vote for a rule of not feeding any stray at property.
Results are debatable.

3) Closed garbage on property.
This is an workable idea but efficiency is related to use. Every day stray hunt food at garbage sites. Sometimes even house dogs wont mind sniffing garbage as it is a challenge testing them.
You remove garbage stray looses this activity and will search for garbage in vicinity thus moving their routine from property.

Last month in Banglore I visited Lord Hanuman temple on his birthday & the very next day a troop of monkeys pass by me feets away while I sat reading my phone on fourth floor staircase in my building. It was surreal, we made eye contact but they seemed short of time.
This was my second crush with wild, 1st was at two neighbors garden fence trying to kill a female cobra who got cornered in the brick tree quary a feet away from me. We made eye contact and she just wanted a safe exit. As luck was our side we both lived to share this.

So getting back to your point I find it futile to look for a perfect solution as Banglore is blessed with nature and stopping one animal by any mean will only promote other to take it's place.

Learning skills to live along with them should be a priority. Also golden rule with any animal is not to react, no animal wants to attack untill the threat is grave.
Like in a road argument some people ignore instigation, practice this very rule if you happen to cross an animal and they loose fun. If you react as if you are scared you give them a upper hand.
Old 16th May 2017, 17:23   #4404
BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by bad menace?

Why dont you do something different?

You can always vaccinate the dogs to minimize the risk of Rabies.

Strays normally doesnt attack people or children on their own. Usually they attacks when people harms or irritates them. Why don't you teach the children to be more compassionate towards animals? They can actually enjoy the company!

If you're unable to do it yourself, you can approach a good NGO for the same.
Old 16th May 2017, 17:25   #4405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it's mad/rabid dogs, by all means call the municipality/corporation and put that animal out of it's misery.

If it's stray dogs breeding, and chasing people for food, you have a more humane solution you may take.
Call an NGO who work with strays. They shall come , pick up the strays, spay/neuter them, and again leave them in the same place where they picked up.
After that maybe you can start a leftover drive in your society where everyone collects their leftovers from dinner and feed the strays.
Strays mainly roam around for food/breeding and if they are fed, and spayed/neutered, both reasons to roam about are taken care of.

A local NGO operated on the dogs in my locality, and after that the breeding has stopped.
I / some of the neighbors feed the dogs (4) in afternoon (neighbors) / night (me), and there's less fighting / wailing / chasing in my locality than ever.

Last edited by blackasta : 16th May 2017 at 17:28.
Old 16th May 2017, 17:50   #4406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Look up and contact VOSD = Voice of Stray Dogs - very active set of people who will help you.
Old 16th May 2017, 18:47   #4407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post

So getting back to your point I find it futile to look for a perfect solution as Banglore is blessed with nature and stopping one animal by any mean will only promote other to take it's place.

Learning skills to live along with them should be a priority. Also golden rule with any animal is not to react, no animal wants to attack untill the threat is grave.
Like in a road argument some people ignore instigation, practice this very rule if you happen to cross an animal and they loose fun. If you react as if you are scared you give them a upper hand.
One animal might be manageable than other. What one will choose if he has to live with either frogs or snakes.

It is not correct that animals don't attack unless provoked. I have seen dogs, monkeys, peacocks attacking for no reason. One rabid stray attacked a kid in our layout without any instigation just 4 days back. If someone had not intervened in time, it could have been fatal.
Old 16th May 2017, 19:13   #4408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One rabid stray
Do you really mean rabid? As in a dog suffering from rabies?

A dog suffering from rabies, as far as I know, must be killed. A dog suffering from rabies is going to lead to other animals and humans contracting the disease. It is unlikely that everyone nipped/licked/bitten by this dog would go for emergency immunisation. Rabies is a horrible way to die, and, once developed, there is no cure.

Shouldn't have to say this on an Indian animal thread: isn't everybody here aware of rabies and its risks? Maybe not: I know of an NRI doctor who died of it. A friend of a friend is as close as I ever want to get to rabies.

So, if you really have rabid dogs, you have a huge problem, seriously needing a fix.

But if you just mean a bit crazy and threatening... maybe you still have a serious problem. But echoing others: try to find an organisation who will approach the problem with methods other than slaughter.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th May 2017 at 19:15.
Old 16th May 2017, 20:08   #4409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

So, if you really have rabid dogs, you have a huge problem, seriously needing a fix.
Totally agree. Only option is killing the the dog. But a dog with visible symptoms of rabies will not survive more than 5-6 days.

Last edited by archat68 : 16th May 2017 at 20:10.
Old 16th May 2017, 20:51   #4410
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If it's mad/rabid dogs, by all means call the municipality/corporation and put that animal out of it's misery.
It's been a really long time since municipal corps stopped doing that. At least in Bombay. Maneka Gandhi started her fight against killing strays in the late 80s, early 90s, I think. And she was successful.

Municipalities were told to neuter them instead of kill them. The problem with that is that it needs far more resources and is far more expensive than killing strays. So mostly they don't do much.

Last edited by carboy : 16th May 2017 at 20:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks