Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2017, 21:02   #4426
BANNED

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Guys! Meet Mikhail! He's a Golden Retriever two and half years old, a member of KCI. He's a sweetheart........Cheers, Amey
Hello Amey, Mikhail is one handsome character and I can see that he is just as intelligent as you say he is! GRs are a marvellous breed and among the most even-tempered too. We wish him a long and happy life with you and your family
Old 17th May 2017, 22:08   #4427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys! Meet Mikhail! He's a Golden Retriever two and half years old, a member of KCI. He's a sweetheart, very intelligent and has a unique quality of picking up the car / bike keys once your home and will keep it near the key holder.

That's the traditional role of the breed: retrieving! And with such a gentle grip that their teeth do no harm.

Not quite so sure about the saliva being harmless for the car key electronics, though

Lovely dog. Reminds me of my childhood friend
Old 18th May 2017, 07:57   #4428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...Not quite so sure about the saliva being harmless for the car key electronics, though
Just so, Thad! Our Kluso (you've met him earlier) was partial to keys too - though he was more egalitarian (all keys were grist to his mill) & he would bury them in the backyard. It took huge will power to overcome his will power, and convince him that he was inches away from being quartered, if he didn't desist.

Last edited by shashanka : 18th May 2017 at 08:01.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:00   #4429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Amey, Mikhail is one handsome character and I can see that he is just as intelligent as you say he is!
Thanks Shashanka for your warm wishes.

Quote:
Not quite so sure about the saliva being harmless for the car key electronics, though
Thanks Thad E Ginathom. He picks the keys by the keychain; so the key remains in the air swinging here and there.

Cheers,
Amey
Old 18th May 2017, 09:26   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys,

Need help, I have 2 dogs at home and recently they have been moved outdoors due to the arrival of a new baby at home... Also wanted to know how I can disinfect the surroundings(Hit or any other pesticides?).

Thanks
Pramod
Quote:
Hello Pramod,

Regarding control of ticks, fleas, etc we have found good results with anti-tick collars. .
Try something called Freedom Spray. its available in most pet stores. Spray the body of the animal whilst brushing the coat in opposite direction to the flow of the coat), start from the top and finish at the paws. You could use it once a week. I use freedom on my dogs at the farm and have no problems with fleas or ticks.

Also whats the reason for chucking the dogs out of the house when a baby arrives? My daughter was introduced to my dogs as soon as she came home. Shes been crawling and playing with my rotties and boxers from day one.
Old 18th May 2017, 14:21   #4431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just so, Thad! Our Kluso (you've met him earlier) was partial to keys too - though he was more egalitarian (all keys were grist to his mill) & he would bury them in the backyard. It took huge will power to overcome his will power, and convince him that he was inches away from being quartered, if he didn't desist.
OhMyGod. So you would need a metal detector as a household gadget!

Quote:
He picks the keys by the keychain; so the key remains in the air swinging here and there.
Super! Clever dog!
Old 18th May 2017, 16:33   #4432
BANNED

Quote:
OhMyGod. So you would need a metal detector as a household gadget!
Naaah! He was too dumb to hide his tracks well - it was always under the papaya tree. And his rough & ready efforts to cover up were a dead give away! We still have arguments about this though. He is a stubborn old grunt.
Old 18th May 2017, 16:42   #4433
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank god cats don't do that. They would be laughing silently as they watched us search!
Old 18th May 2017, 21:26   #4434
BANNED

Quote:

Thank god cats don't do that. They would be laughing silently as they watched us search!
Yes, cats are like that - deep in their hearts they know that we humans are an inferior species. And who are we to argue - they have enough evidence on their side!
Old 18th May 2017, 23:00   #4435
BHPian

Quote:
Guys! Meet Mikhail! He's a Golden Retriever two and half years old, a member of KCI.

Cheers,
Amey
Awesome boy! Golden Retrievers are seriously cute animals! And certainly works magic with the ladies!

Quote:
That's the traditional role of the breed: retrieving!
Can you please talk to my dog? He does nothing like retrieving. Throw a ball and he will chase after it, lose interest and go home instead. Maybe he is a rebel rather than a traditional retriever!

Quote:
Yes, cats are like that - deep in their hearts they know that we humans are an inferior species. And who are we to argue - they have enough evidence on their side!
I bought two kittens home that were thrown onto the street from a moving two wheeler(expected them to be grateful), and guess what, within an hour they bought the entire house into their control. My dog refused to leave his room when the kittens were around!
Old 19th May 2017, 02:46   #4436
Distinguished - BHPian

Your dog certainly needs lessons on the meaning of retriever! But I agree with him about ball games. My response to football was "why would I rush around outside, on a cold day, chasing that thing? My resoonse to cricket was, "I'm supposed to stand here while they hurl that thing at me?" Yes: I would have preferred to go home instead.
Old 19th May 2017, 15:11   #4437
BHPian

Our Tobo retrieves every damn thing. Problem is, there is way he will hand it over to​ you.
Old 19th May 2017, 17:43   #4438
Distinguished - BHPian

My Best Golden Retriever Story...

I don't know, I may have been 8 or 9 at the time. My parents used to tow a caravan, and we'd find secluded fields, in preference to sites, where the farmer would let us stay a week or two.

Our golden retriever was probably a couple of years old. She came bowling up to me (not unusual, she would often bowl me over!) and dropped something on my foot. It was a small shrew, much smaller than a mouse.

It ran up my trouser leg. They may be tiny, but those things are fierce.

Emergency stripping to the waist in a field!
Old 20th May 2017, 09:08   #4439
BHPian

One of the things I most adore about the Golden Retriever, is their soft nature. I bring home so many rescue animals and not once has my dog hurt any of them! Of course, he does get jealous, but the most he will do is avoid me. He never hurts the animals!

Attaching a few pictures for viewing pleasure!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1495251030426.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1495251101670.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1495251170812.jpg  

Old 20th May 2017, 11:16   #4440
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

My elderly furry chaps.

Cassie the Alsatian is 11 and is suffering hip dysplasia and cant walk. Needs to be carried out in a sling supporting her rear. But eats well, is fully alert and quite tough with people ringing the bell or rattling my gate.

Daisy the Labrador is 13, slowing down too and slowly finding it harder to go for her happy walks. Still happy otherwise and eating properly and sleeping properly too.

I spend as much time as possible with them when in town and have altered my travel schedules etc.

Plus they sleep along with me in the guest room downstairs as they can no longer climb stairs etc.

We need to do at least a little for our elderly pets. All they have is us.

I personally give both of them weekly hot water baths with medicated shampoo and massage their backs and hind legs nicely, which they seem to love.

Luckily we have first class help too, who love them as much as we do. Am truly grateful for that.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495258975.749060.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495258989.435375.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495258998.223673.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-imageuploadedbyteambhp1495259005.343936.jpg

Most Viewed