Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:16   #4456
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

A heart warming story of a man and his dog. The dog, named tony wouldn't leave his owner, or should I say his dad as his owner calls him his son, when he fell from a tree and injured himself. The picture would speak more than my words.

http://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/viral-do...e-specialevent
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-viralpost_650x400_81495429648.jpg  

vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:21   #4457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please give him plenty pro biotic like curds. And there is medicine called Azodyl from Kibow Pharma in NJ USA which you can buy and arrest and slow down the kidney disease.
Thanks Shankar and Thad! Yeah, Azodyl has been recommended by our vet too, alongwith Ipakitine powder as a food supplement, and we will begin this by Thursday, hopefully he will begin eating again, else we may need to force-feed him.
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:26   #4458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
... Azodyl has been recommended by our vet too, alongwith Ipakitine powder as a food supplement, and we will begin this by Thursday, hopefully he will begin eating again, else we may need to force-feed him.
Hoping that this will extend normal life.

I don't know if it was my mum's magic touch, but her dogs lived into their teens. These days, it seems that dogs are getting elderly as they approach double figures.
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:41   #4459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
How do you guys handle the mess our furry friends create when taken for a drive? My interiors are a mess with dog hair n dirty mud stains everywhere.
Anyone using products like this?
Auto Pearl - Premium Make Red Black Car Pet Seat Cover For - Renault Duster https://www.amazon.in/dp/B019OWGQJ8/..._IwYizb51A82R8
What I do in my Fortuner is to stuff the leg room space in the second row seats with pillows, up to the level of the seats, and cover the entire second row with blankets. This becomes like a bed for my fella, and he can easily sit and sleep there as well without issues and is pretty comfortable for him, and the blankets can be cleaned after your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hoping that this will extend normal life.

I don't know if it was my mum's magic touch, but her dogs lived into their teens. These days, it seems that dogs are getting elderly as they approach double figures.
Yeah, having done tons of research on this kidney ailment, have seen cases of dogs having normal lives from 6 months to 2 years, and in some cases even beyond. Though will never be fully healed, hope he can recover enough to have an almost normal life for as long as is possible.
And it does appear that in recent times, getting pretty rare to see a dog live beyond 12 years, with urbanization, lack of open spaces, processed and packaged food etc.
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:02   #4460
BHPian

Need some advise. I have heard stories that most of the puppies being sold are a result of back to back breeding which does not give the mum enough time to recover. Can anyone help with a good place where I can get my first pup in Gurgaon. I am looking for a cocker spaniel. Preferably if it is born in a family and not in a kennel.
Old 23rd May 2017, 21:06   #4461
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Thanks Shankar and Thad! Yeah, Azodyl has been recommended by our vet too, alongwith Ipakitine powder as a food supplement, and we will begin this by Thursday, hopefully he will begin eating again, else we may need to force-feed him.

AZodyl plus curds. Lots of it. Fast.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:45   #4462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
AZodyl plus curds. Lots of it. Fast.
Yes Shankar! Begun on it today, and thankfully he has begun consuming some food now, so giving him medicines has become easier, alongwith food. Scheduled for another blood test this Friday, hopefully the creatinine levels would have come down by then.
Old 25th May 2017, 06:45   #4463
BHPian

Quote:
Over the past few days, he stopped eating and we got him examinded by the vet. The blood results have revealed that he has Chronic Kidney disease, and for the past 2-3 days, he is on IV fluids. Hope this flushes out the kidneys and brings the creatinine levels to almost normal, and he can resume eating again. He has suffered a lot in his life, and it is just hearbreaking to see this. But he is a fighter and I am hopeful he will pull through this as well, and with a suitable diet, will be able to enjoy a healthy life ahead.

Hi Venkat,

Sad to hear about Barfi's health. I hope he recovers from this disease. Would you know what was his creatinine count. I also have 3 dogs whom I rescued from streets. One of my dogs got a kidney problem 6 months back. His creatinine reached 26. I tried few vets but none had any hope. Finally i got in touch with a vet who treats through Ayurvedic and homeopathy medicines. It's been 6 months and his creatinine is 3 right now. It is decreasing by .2 units per week.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2017 at 10:48. Reason: Shortening quoted post :)
Old 25th May 2017, 11:12   #4464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Venkat,

Sad to hear about Barfi's health. I hope he recovers from this disease. Would you know what was his creatinine count. I also have 3 dogs whom I rescued from streets. One of my dogs got a kidney problem 6 months back. His creatinine reached 26. I tried few vets but none had any hope. Finally i got in touch with a vet who treats through Ayurvedic and homeopathy medicines. It's been 6 months and his creatinine is 3 right now. It is decreasing by .2 units per week.
Hi

Thanks for the wishes! His creatinine count was 6 last week, and he was in IV for the past few days. Yesterday, we got his blood tested again, and its down to 4 now so I think that's good progress. He has also started eating solids in small quantities, and we have begun his medicines since yesterday, so fingers crossed. His whole body language has also improved significantly since the past two days, and that has given us a lot of confidence!
Another issue is his hemoglobin counts which came down from 9 last week (already low) to 7. So that's one thing to keep an eye on and treated.

Can you share details of the Ayurvedic/homeopathy medicines. That's not an option we have considered just yet, but it does seem to be really effective.
Old 25th May 2017, 14:47   #4465
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know that Barfi is responding to treatment.
Old 25th May 2017, 19:45   #4466
BANNED

Quote:
.........Finally i got in touch with a vet who treats through Ayurvedic and homeopathy medicines........
It's heartening to know that there are other pet lovers who believe in the efficacy of Ayurveda and homeopathy for their pets. Our boxer Kluso (he's here elsewhere in the thread) suffers from an enlarged prostate (benign) condition, which was giving him huge discomfort & pain during normal urination. This was the first canine instance of this condition in our experience & after the condition was diagnosed there was talk of surgery, among other prognosis. Till we were advised by one of our vets to try homeopathy (Sabal Serrulata, mother tincture). For us, this was as near a magic cure as any we have seen. Within two days he was back to cocking his legs & marking trees & lamp posts with abandon. Soon his whole posture & body language was transformed & there has been no looking back since.

Last edited by shashanka : 25th May 2017 at 19:52.
Old 25th May 2017, 19:49   #4467
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Yes Shankar! Begun on it today, and thankfully he has begun consuming some food now, so giving him medicines has become easier, alongwith food. Scheduled for another blood test this Friday, hopefully the creatinine levels would have come down by then.

Great!
I love it when things work out for dogs.
Poor fellas.
Old 25th May 2017, 20:57   #4468
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the wishes! His creatinine count was 6 last week, and he was in IV for the past few days. Yesterday, we got his blood tested again, and its down to 4 now so I think that's good progress.

The only medicine name I can tell you is Neeri KFT syrup. Give him 10 ml twice. Other medicines are formulated by himself. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brihaspati_Dev_Triguna He is Grandson of this guy. Also be very careful about the medicines you give him since all the medicines eventually have to be excreted from kidney and a wrong medicine can do more harm than doing good. Also keep a check on other parameters like phosphorus and urea. In my pet's case his urea level had reached 400 which is supposed to be 50 and the diet which you give him has to be balanced accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
It's heartening to know that there are other pet lovers who believe in the efficacy of Ayurveda and homeopathy for their pets. Our boxer Kluso (he's here elsewhere in the thread) suffers from an enlarged prostate (benign) condition, which was giving him huge discomfort & pain during normal urination.

Hey shashanka,

It was very difficult in the beginning. All the vets had given up and that's when someone referred me to this doctor who treats with Ayurveda and homeopathy. The results have been unbelievable. I did not know Ayurveda has such good results. As per my vet there is no cure in Allopathy for kidney damage cases. The only option is flushing but that doesn't cure the disease. It's only Ayurveda which cures the disease.
Old 28th May 2017, 11:14   #4469
BANNED

Quote:
It was very difficult in the beginning. All the vets had given up and that's when someone referred me to this doctor who treats with Ayurveda and homeopathy. The results have been unbelievable. I did not know Ayurveda has such good results. As per my vet there is no cure in Allopathy for kidney damage cases. The only option is flushing but that doesn't cure the disease. It's only Ayurveda which cures the disease.
Yes nik0502,
In our household too, there is more faith in alternative therapies than in allopathy. I sincerely hope a situation doesn't arise where I have to swallow my words!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th June 2017 at 10:51. Reason: broken quote fixed
Old 11th June 2017, 09:33   #4470
BHPian

Caesar hates bath time and he makes sure you know that! Look at the expression of absolute disgust!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1497153742767.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks