Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 15:54   #4516
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Forgive my brute intrusion, but I can never see goldfish in a bowl without suspecting Tom lurking somewhere close by with a frying pan & assorted condiments.

I blame my Tom & Jerry addiction for that!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th July 2017 at 15:55. Reason: typo
Old 13th July 2017, 16:06   #4517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Introducing you to Guppy and Tuppy by two gold fish who live in a bowl. Guppy the bigger one is 4 years old and Tuppy the smaller about two and a half. The little children who visit our home love to hear anecdotes of what Guppy & Tuppy did since the kids' last visit. 50% of the water changed once or twice a week depending on my business travels and fed once in the morning. I have kept fish since 1973. Goldfish in a bowl since 2000. My wife won't allow me a second big aquarium at home hence the bowl as a compromise at the 4th Narayan vs Narayan Aquarium Limitation Summit.
Dear Mr. Narayan,

I am sure you take good care of your pet fishes but isn't a small bowl too less a space for a living being to spend a lifetime. We humans can't spend more than a few hours enclosed in a single room, imagine the kind of mental trauma these animals go through when they are restricted to small spaces for their entire life span. They deserve to be free; just like how we have the right to a free life.

Thanks.
Old 13th July 2017, 16:34   #4518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Forgive my brute intrusion, but I can never see goldfish in a bowl without suspecting Tom lurking somewhere close by with a frying pan & assorted condiments.

I blame my Tom & Jerry addiction for that!
Chetan, aaaarrgghh!! - I have a Queen Cat at home but she walks on 2 legs and doesn't read T-BHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I am sure you take good care of your pet fishes
Dear @trek, thank you for your post. Yes I believe I take good care of my fishes - many of them, housed in the aquarium, have lived to 5 to 6 years and a couple crossed 7 years
Quote:
but isn't a small bowl too less a space for a living being to spend a lifetime
Maybe it is. I wont argue on that. The fact that Guppy is 4 years old is indicative that the environment is okay if not great. Till the www came along you read about fish keeping in the occasional hobby book. Last 15 to 18 years the 'goldfish in a bowl is cruel' theory has gained momentum mainly through web sites. Between 1973 and 1998 I had never come across this. Though I will admit that too many folks going for fish keeping the first time buy a bowl with too many fish or too ones that are too large and sadly they all die pretty soon. Nevertheless I respect your sentiments.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 13th July 2017 at 16:36.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:39   #4519
BHPian

Something interesting I found.

Traveling the the train with the dog.

https://wordpresscom48768.wordpress....-dog-on-train/

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:48   #4520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fact that Guppy is 4 years old is indicative that the environment is okay if not great. Till the www came along you read about fish keeping in the occasional hobby book. Last 15 to 18 years the 'goldfish in a bowl is cruel' theory has gained momentum mainly through web sites. Between 1973 and 1998 I had never come across this.
My wife stopped her fish hobby because they rarely lived more than a few months so it seemed pointless. I would say four years is good going for a fish and almost certainly more than what they would live in a river - get eaten by another fish or after getting caught by a human before old age I expect.

Where would they be happier is a matter that can have no satisfactory conclusion. It goes back to sentience and many claim that trees are sentient too.

And I have to assume that those that say this is cruel are vegetarians, and to be even more principled, vegans.
Old 14th July 2017, 15:01   #4521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My wife stopped her fish hobby because they rarely lived more than a few months so it seemed pointless.
The trick is the balance between volume of water, surface area for absorption of oxygen versus the number and size of fish + feeding them only once a day (and never more often -a oft repeated error) and changing the water 50% once a week.

Quote:
I would say four years is good going for a fish and almost certainly more than what they would live in a river
Yup. I have had a few dozen spawns over the years in my big tank and many many fish were born in the tank and lived their lives in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20170714_133230.jpg  

Old 24th July 2017, 00:13   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hi folks,
I brought my two rescued kittens (now 1+ year old cats) along with me from the US. Brought some limited amount of food that they are used to which was consumed. Now they aren't eating the dry food brands available in Mumbai (Whiskas, Royal Canin, etc). Have tried them giving (boiled) chicken; that didn't work either. Any suggestions what to do?

Also the brands they like/ have eaten in the past - Wet Food (Fancy Feast), Dry food (Wellness). Any pointers for stores in Mumbai that have the above brands would be most welcome.

Also anyone who went through the above phase - if you can give suggestions on how to handle this situation, please do so.
Try Orijen or Acana cat food. Available on dogkart.in or amazon.in
Old 25th July 2017, 12:30   #4523
BHPian

Hi Guys

Did anyone try pet GPS trackers available on Aliexpress. I have 3 dogs and i am looking for a GPS tracker for all 3 of them. Does anyone have any recommendations.
Old 25th July 2017, 12:54   #4524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Introducing you to Guppy and Tuppy by two gold fish who live in a bowl. Guppy the bigger one is 4 years old and Tuppy the smaller about two and a half. The little children who visit our home love to hear anecdotes of what Guppy & Tuppy did since the kids' last visit. 50% of the water changed once or twice a week depending on my business travels and fed once in the morning. I have kept fish since 1973. Goldfish in a bowl since 2000.
Please get a tank. Bowls are not the place to keep fishes in. Bad surface area, lack of space, tough to provide filtration.

Besides, goldfishes grow to 4inches in size on average and can grow to 7-10inches. They eat and crap like nobody's business. They do not belong in a bowl.
Old 1st August 2017, 19:04   #4525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
These photos are real soul-food! I don't know how I missed them - how is the squirrel doing? I guess he must be well house-trained by now.
Hi Shashanka! I am sorry I somehow missed your post! The squirrel was raised at home for more than three months and then he left home and lived in a tree nearby. He was there till the Vardha cyclone of Chennai battered the city. The tree stood, but there is no sign of little Stewie. :(
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:18   #4526
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Hi Shashanka! I am sorry I somehow missed your post! The squirrel was raised at home for more than three months and then he left home and lived in a tree nearby. He was there till the Vardha cyclone of Chennai battered the city. The tree stood, but there is no sign of little Stewie. :(
That's pretty awful to hear - but I'm glad that you had him for 3 months & that he subsequently lived nearby. Hoping in my heart that he somehow managed to survive the cyclone & is somewhere there, doing what squirrels do best - bringing good cheer to their surroundings!
Old 28th August 2017, 18:18   #4527
BANNED

I'm trying to upload a video of Kluso & Pearl, our boxers, during a phase when they had - a temporary - dumb-bell fixation!

Hope you have as much fun as we had making it!
Old 28th August 2017, 21:31   #4528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I'm trying to upload a video of Kluso & Pearl, our boxers, during a phase when they had - a temporary - dumb-bell fixation!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=328H6IOsXx8

Hope you have as much fun as we had making it!
Honestly, boxers are not dogs..... Check out this link for some 'wisdom' from a crazy boxer.

http://pawesomewisdom.com/for-boxer-lovers/
Old 28th August 2017, 21:56   #4529
BANNED

^^
Thanks Zeze! It's a relief to meet someone who understands that boxers are not really dogs at all - we fell under their spell a couple of decades ago and have never recovered! One of our earlier vets (he passed away these past few years & may his soul rest in peace) used to call them "half circuit missing" - and that's as good a description as any! Daft as they are, we wouldn't change them for all the gold in the world.

Last edited by shashanka : 28th August 2017 at 21:57.
Old 28th August 2017, 22:16   #4530
BANNED

I'm trying to upload an old video of our Daisy & Darth's first litter. You've met them both earlier in this thread (or in our travelogue thread "Naukuchiatal - far from the madding crowd"). Daisy won the B.O.B first prize in the boxer category at the 2004 INKC show in Mumbai. She went to the Happy Hunting Grounds in 2012, may her soul rest in peace - there was none like her, none.

Please forgive the video quality. This was 2006 and our daughter Tisha was using a Fuji digicam with a rudimentary video capability!

Last edited by shashanka : 28th August 2017 at 22:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks