Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2017, 19:53   #4621
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I am contemplating getting my 6 year old son a guinea pig as a pet.
We kept guinea pigs for about a year a decade back. I believe we looked after them well because they bred under our care. Some observations - very dirty animals, they eat and discharge a lot. You need to fill their cage/container with hay (called bhoosa in north India) as that's what they love eating in addition to cucumbers. Interestingly you don't need to feed them drinking water as they get all their water supplement from the cucumbers. No matter how much you clean their home they invariably catch bugs from the hay. They are not clever enough to relate to you like a dog or look down upon you like a cat. Think twice. A pet dog may be better. Just my two naya paisa of advice. If you are still keen go for two not one. They are social animals and a lone fellow is likely to die out of loneliness.
Quote:
I want to try making the cage myself. I have read that they can be made with corrugated plastic boards and wire cages. Has anyone tried this out? All the search results lead to sites in the first world.
Plastic boards, wire cages will do. They flooring has to be absorbent as to absorb the urination. Makes cleaning a mess. We had a bunglow type of house then and 20 sq feet of one empty room was cordoned off with bricks 4 high to mark their area and filled with hay & grass and some rocks & wood to give it a natural feel with nooks to hide in. They need some mild sun time (only about 1/2 an hour a day) but not too hot. On Sundays we would open up a 'gate' in the brick layer and let them run free all over the room which they reveled in. Need to be careful if you put them in a balcony as predatory birds would love to whisk them away for a meal.

At 6 your child is too young to care for them fully. So be ready to do the heavy lifting. My children were at that time in the pre-teens to late-teens stage and yet I had to goad and chase them to clean the guinea pig area.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 9th December 2017 at 19:55.
Old 11th December 2017, 21:16   #4622
BHPian

A strange and sad thing has happened. As a regular routine i got chicken caracass which mainly comprise of the neck position for my dog this sunday. I add turmeric and cook it in a pressure cooker and once ready mix few pieces with rice, curd and feed it to my dog. The portion suffices till wednesday. On tuesday my dog started vomitting which was kind of starchy fluid mix with white foam. Was sure this could be due to the chicken, switched to his regular diet which is pedigree and he was fine after that.

Now, we have two stray dogs and a 6 months puppy living in our colony. Most of us residents give them the left overs on which they survive. I have a neighbor who loves dogs like me and sometimes he gets those chicken remains like legs and caracass and feeds them. Last sunday as part of his routine as well he brought lots of chicken legs and caracass and fed to those three dogs. They ate to their heart content . Monday onwards all three starting vomitting starchy fluid ditto as my dog. All but the poor puppy couldn't take it and died on friday. Strange because the chicken was from two different shops, i fed my dog which was cooked well but still all the dogs showed the same symptoms.

In august three stray pups died in the same manner but i was thinking they might have eaten something else but now after this week's incident I am sure that was due to the chicken caracass. The adult dogs fall sick and start vomitting starchy fluid and their saliva turns very thick but recover slowly whereas the younger ones die after a day or two.

Any pointers ? same symptoms, same kind of deaths but chicken sourced from different shops.
Old 11th December 2017, 21:19   #4623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Any pointers ? /...
The supplier to the two shops is possibly the same.
Old 11th December 2017, 21:21   #4624
BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers ? same symptoms, same kind of deaths but chicken sourced from different shops.
The chicken shops might be different, but both the shops might have sourced the chicken from the same poultry. You might want to check with the shop-keeper on the source of the chickens.
Old 11th December 2017, 21:35   #4625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The supplier to the two shops is possibly the same.
Could be yes and no. There are around 18 to 20 chicken shops within 3 Km radius. Some get the hens delivered to their shops and some go around and get the hens.

I stick to just one shop from whom i have been buying the stuff since last 8 months and this is the first time that my dog reacted in this manner.

I am curious to know the cause of the deaths.
Old 11th December 2017, 21:54   #4626
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
As a regular routine i got chicken caracass which mainly comprise of the neck position for my dog this sunday.

Where do you get this? What do ask for? How much is the price?
Old 11th December 2017, 22:23   #4627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Where do you get this? What do ask for? How much is the price?
Where do you get this ?
Any chicken shops

There are different things to ask :
1. Neck piece, most of the chicken shops separate them while cutting as people won’t prefer eating them (at least here in Hyderabad)
2. The chest bones, cartilage and wings which are separated for the boneless chicken customers.

How much is the price ?
Dead cheap. I give 100 bucks for 2 kgs.

The easiest way is to befriend the butcher in the shops who will be more than happy and keep them ready as for them this is a throw away waste which earns them money for their chai pani.

Hope I have answered your questions.
Old 30th December 2017, 18:41   #4628
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I was reading that most cats get dental problems. So I was wondering if vets do teeth cleaning for cats? Is it done awake or under anesthesia? How much does it cost?
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:52   #4629
BHPian

Quote:
Last sunday as part of his routine as well he brought lots of chicken legs and caracass and fed to those three dogs. They ate to their heart content . Monday onwards all three starting vomitting starchy fluid ditto as my dog. All but the poor puppy couldn't take it and died on friday. Strange because the chicken was from two different shops, i fed my dog which was cooked well but still all the dogs showed the same symptoms.

Could be Salmonellosis. I am not a vet - but cared for animals all my life. Chicken internals are breeding ground for Salmonella bacteria. Unless cooked thoroughly at high temperatures can result in nasty incidences.
Even eggs are affected by Salmonella.

I buy chicken liver for my dogs and though they are more expensive than the carcass, they offer more nutrition.
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:57   #4630
Senior - BHPian

Unless you wash the legs and carcass thoroughly, they will have blood and other pieces that attract bacteria within a few hours of slaughter. Best to buy carcass that has been freshly slaughtered.

I buy chicken carcass that is fresh (less than a few hours old) and have never had any problems. A thorough wash is all that is required, and no intestines.

The organs we chop and mix with rice while cooking.
Old 30th January 2018, 23:03   #4631
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyderabad: looks like someone's pet has lost it's way and reached Lanco Hills campus.

The dog has a greyish-blue collar.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-27540511_10155916584418828_2163930088041620358_n.jpg
Old 31st January 2018, 11:35   #4632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hyderabad: looks like someone's pet has lost it's way and reached Lanco Hills campus.
Someone has stolen my dog, it's been exactly a week since he has not returned home. I have checked everywhere and I think somebody might have taken him far away as if he is was around he would surely come back home.

Don't know what to do.
Old 31st January 2018, 16:16   #4633
Distinguished - BHPian

It is very sad to hear about your dog loss. Wishing him found!

Have lost several cats, and sometimes, being fairly sure that they have been stolen and met a gruesome end, is horrible.

The picture above is of a handsome fellow. Hope he finds his home, or succeeds in getting a new one.
Old 31st January 2018, 18:08   #4634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Could be Salmonellosis. I am not a vet - but cared for animals all my life. Chicken internals are breeding ground for Salmonella bacteria. Unless cooked thoroughly at high temperatures can result in nasty incidences.
Even eggs are affected by Salmonella.

I buy chicken liver for my dogs and though they are more expensive than the carcass, they offer more nutrition.
Thank for this information. I can connect the dots now. The two things which strongly prove this point is that I used to get the carcass around 3 to 4 pm by which the bacteria would have got some good time to accumulate.

My neighbor who feed the stray dogs used to get the carcass and chicken legs late at the night somewhere around 10 pm. So this means the bacteria is getting all the time in the world to breed and hide.

I regularly feed my dog only chicken liver but only for a change switched over to carcass but have stopped ever since this incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is very sad to hear about your dog loss. Wishing him found!

Have lost several cats, and sometimes, being fairly sure that they have been stolen and met a gruesome end, is horrible.

The picture above is of a handsome fellow. Hope he finds his home, or succeeds in getting a new one.
Mine being a lab was an advantage for the thieves. It is a favorite in and around my colony and had made many friends. I suspect one of them might have called him and pushed him in a car and transported else where.

My heart is still not able to digest that he isn't around hoping he will come back some day.

Miss you brownie, please come back wherever you are

last pic i took with him :(
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_00481.jpg  

Old 31st January 2018, 21:20   #4635
Senior - BHPian

It pains my heart, but why would anyone steal a pet? to sell them to unsuspecting prospective owners? but most people get pups if they are buying from a pet store right?

On the same lines- quite a few years back, One of my kittens just disappeared one fine morning. Her littermates were there, and I searched for her all around the neighborhood but there was no sign. Maybe someone took a liking and just grabbed her. But that too is difficult to digest considering the abundance of cats in our locality and most people treating them as a nuisance.

Most Viewed