Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:20   #4741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Hello members,

Two of the vets I've taken my dog to for his loss of appetite and decreased activity have advised to give half a tab of crocin after the deworming course is over. He has mild fever which the doc says will subside with crocin. But he also added that repeated or high doses of crocin can be harmful.

Has anyone used crocin (or any human-use medication) on a dog? What were the results?
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:48   #4742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hello members,

Two of the vets I've taken my dog to for his loss of appetite and decreased activity have advised to give half a tab of crocin after the deworming course is over. He has mild fever which the doc says will subside with crocin. But he also added that repeated or high doses of crocin can be harmful.

Has anyone used crocin (or any human-use medication) on a dog? What were the results?
Paracetamol (the drug in Crocin) is toxic to cats. It is not toxic to dogs in the same level. But based on the weight of the dog, anything more than 100 mg is dangerous for a dog.

Why don't you try Liv 52 ? It is not for the fever. It helps the liver.
Old 30th May 2018, 16:43   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
We have owned many local breeds over the years. In fact had EIGHT of them at one point when I was a kid but this is the first time I have owned a Lab. Named him ToBo.
Brought him home at two months and its been nearly a month of turmoil in the house. Never before we had someone who has an appetite like him and its been hard to control his intake. I have recently started training him and only thing he grasped is to sit quietly when his food is being served and to seat when given command. Rest of the times he is too engrossed in searching what else to munch on rather than listen to me. Hey but we simply love him!
Attachment 1554532
Here are mine. This image was captured on my security camera when I was away. The big boy is Tobo and the madam of the house is maggi. 2yrs and 3 months respectively. Maggi was rescued from street.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20180530_163640.jpg

I have had nearly 1.5 year old struggle with Tobo catching fungal infection and loosing fur like crazy. A dosage of Grisovin fixed the problem temporarily. But that started showing effects on his liver. Tried multiple vets and spent considerable sum but to no avail. Finally what helped was excluding rice and substituting it with Potato and most importantly applying coconut oil once in two weeks and spraying him with vinegar+water mixture in 50/50 ratio. Hope this helps someone as it can be very tricky to identify.

Last edited by akshay380 : 30th May 2018 at 16:48.
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:08   #4744
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Here are mine. This image was captured on my security camera when I was away. The big boy is Tobo and the madam of the house is maggi. 2yrs and 3 months respectively. Maggi was rescued from street.
Attachment 1765594

I have had nearly 1.5 year old struggle with Tobo catching fungal infection and loosing fur like crazy. A dosage of Grisovin fixed the problem temporarily. But that started showing effects on his liver. Tried multiple vets and spent considerable sum but to no avail. Finally what helped was excluding rice and substituting it with Potato and most importantly applying coconut oil once in two weeks and spraying him with vinegar+water mixture in 50/50 ratio. Hope this helps someone as it can be very tricky to identify.

Hello akshay380,

Tobo is a great looking chap and madam is certainly a cutie-pie! I'm very glad you mentioned the substitution of rice with potatoes. This might sound strange (as a remedy) to other pet-owners but comes as no surprise to us.

We too have had some odd experiences while treating our extended family. Kluso has an enlarged prostate condition & we were at our wit's end how to relieve his misery - being unable to urinate copiously at will & having to wait for long minutes while the painful & meager dribble came to an end! And I know just how much any self-respecting dog loves to mark his territory. Finally someone from our circle of pet lovers (he is now a dear friend) suggested we try out this new vet, who is also a well-known homeopath. It turned out that the gentleman, Dr. Bhatnagar (he was 75 when we met him) had retired from the Animal Husbandry dept of the UP Govt. and subsequently qualified as a homeopath {BHMS, followed by M.D. (Hom.)}. His remedy for Kluso's condition was Sabal Serrulata, 15-20 drops, twice a day. This worked like magic and Kluso has never looked back - he is now happily marking tree trunks, poles & fences freely. The only thing is that this is a life-long treatment & cannot be stopped - if one doesn't want a recurrence of the problem.

Dr. Bhatnagar became something of an institution in our home & we recommended him to everyone we knew. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. We & many pet-lovers here miss him deeply.
Old 12th June 2018, 08:33   #4745
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to @NC for sharing this:

Old 12th June 2018, 18:53   #4746
BHPian

We have a strict no pets on the furniture rule in our house, but someone needs to tell this to the pet. To be honest, someone has to first tell him he is a pet. He just chose a single seater couch and has become the Sheldon, from the Big Bang Theory, of our house now.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20180610_194140.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20180609_231339.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20180609_081217.jpg

And if you ever wondered why you should get yourself a dog, this image should suffice.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20180612_184654.jpg
Old 13th June 2018, 00:23   #4747
Distinguished - BHPian

My kittens have gone for no-more-family-planning operations. Their mum misses them a lot --- and so do I.

Venki will beback tomorrow, but his sisters, Priya and Meena have to stay a week.
Old 13th June 2018, 00:45   #4748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My kittens have gone for no-more-family-planning operations. Their mum misses them a lot --- and so do I.

Venki will beback tomorrow, but his sisters, Priya and Meena have to stay a week.
I got my cats neutered when they were almost a year old.
Drove them over to the Vet. They were anesthetized and then shaved around the "area".
Took about 10-15 mins for each of them.

They came home with me. Very groggy for a couple of hours. Back to normal by morning.

For pets in Hyderabad, I recommend, Olive Pet Clinic. Himayatnagar, Hyderabad, Telangana 500029.
Old 13th June 2018, 20:15   #4749
Distinguished - BHPian

My boy is back home after 24 hours. The vet has removed certain parts, and, it seems, changed his voice. He was very quiet before, now he is very loud!

My girls could come home, but the vet would want me to keep them inside for a week. Maybe I could do that if I had a cat-friendly wife. One makes mistakes in life.
Old 14th June 2018, 09:27   #4750
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
We have a strict no pets on the furniture rule in our house, but someone needs to tell this to the pet. To be honest, someone has to first tell him he is a pet. He just chose a single seater couch and has become the Sheldon, from the Big Bang Theory, of our house now.
And if you ever wondered why you should get yourself a dog, this image should suffice. ....
Nope - he is a dead ringer for Denver, Guilty Dog! Hi escoticoreventon, that's a great collage and no need to apologize! - we suffer the same indignity all the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000923.jpg  

Old 18th June 2018, 15:19   #4751
BHPian

Hi Pet lovers, I'm in a serious bind. I have an Indie dog that I rescued as a puppy last year. Nike is strong and frisky now as all young dogs should be.

Problem: He is brought up on our balcony. The dog cage that I bought for him when he was a pup is too small for him. We need a bigger cage/covered area for him during the rains. Letting him in the house is not viable all the time. Now during the rains, he scrunches up next to the door which has a sun shade over it and a waist height wall on the other side. This does not keep him fully dry in heavy rains.

Another problem is that I can't make a permanent structure in the terrace, because this is a rented place and the owner doesn't take kindly to modifications.

Does anyone know if there are good not too expensive cage manufacturers in south Bangalore, who can help me out
Old 18th June 2018, 15:51   #4752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Another problem is that I can't make a permanent structure in the terrace, because this is a rented place and the owner doesn't take kindly to modifications.

Why don't you try a tarp? A cage can be very depressing for a grown up dog.

Pramod
Old 18th June 2018, 15:55   #4753
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Does anyone know if there are good not too expensive cage manufacturers in south Bangalore, who can help me out

How much time will the dog spend in the cage each day?
Old 18th June 2018, 16:17   #4754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Problem: He is brought up on our balcony. The dog cage that I bought for him when he was a pup is too small for him. We need a bigger cage/covered area for him during the rains. Letting him in the house is not viable all the time.
Sorry I see a completely different problem - you managed a poor little pup keeping him in a cage and now you want options for a bigger cage? Why isn't it viable to let him inside?

Sorry if my view seems direct but most, if not all, of us let our pets live with us inside.

Quote:
Now during the rains, he scrunches up next to the door which has a sun shade over it and a waist height wall on the other side. This does not keep him fully dry in heavy rains.
Get him inside! I'd suggest to treat him like a family member; not a security guard.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th June 2018 at 16:18.
Old 21st June 2018, 20:06   #4755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sorry I see a completely different problem - you managed a poor little pup keeping him in a cage and now you want options for a bigger cage? Why isn't it viable to let him inside?

Sorry if my view seems direct but most, if not all, of us let our pets live with us inside.

Get him inside! I'd suggest to treat him like a family member; not a security guard.
Omg I look very bad here. So the cage was with a covering of aluminium sheet and the gate was always open. He could go in when it rained and come out when not. The rainy season is back(it’s been only a year since I got him). I’d love to keep him inside but I can’t for sometime until he is trained. My wife is very sensitive about him touching her and he’s a little too frisky for my kids. I need to train him. But this message will give me a good impetus to get to it. Sorry for looking like a monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How much time will the dog spend in the cage each day?
I should have taken the time to type my original post. I do not want a door on it. He should be able to have a raised covered space so that he can stand or lay without getting wet, and come out whenever he wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Why don't you try a tarp? A cage can be very depressing for a grown up dog.

Pramod
Again I’m sorry I should have been more clear in my post. Tarp will not keep him off the floor.

Now I’m thinking of using one of those steel frame collapsible bed to form a roof and use the original cage( which can be collapsed to form a platform) until I house train him. I have let him in the house a few times, maybe should extend the duration and toilet train him too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks