Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2019, 00:17   #5041
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Both my lovely dogs went to Heaven.
And we were left here.

So I will keep this heaven sent little one.
condolences on your losses , and thanks for giving life a chance with this little one.

Some of the best things in life are rescued.

On that note - who rescued whom?
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 09:35   #5042
BHPian

Quote:
My beautiful kind hearted Lab Daisy passed on in Feb 2018.

I call her Simba, Devil and/ or Zilf, depending on my mood at the time.

I thank God most humbly that this beautiful
Little Creature came to me.
Condolences for the departed pets.

Nice looking Alsatian cross Simba. BTW you have also shown a good part of your nice home - especially the stairs color combination and your hats ...
Old 12th August 2019, 12:25   #5043
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
condolences on your losses , and thanks for giving life a chance with this little one.

Some of the best things in life are rescued.

On that note - who rescued whom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Condolences for the departed pets.

Nice looking Alsatian cross Simba. BTW you have also shown a good part of your nice home - especially the stairs color combination and your hats ...
Blackasta:
This dog is a real naughty one. We are very pleased to have her here.

Prowler:
Ha ha! Yes I took a pic of her sleeping near the living room chairs. Thats why the hats appeared in the frame.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th August 2019 at 13:30. Reason: Formatting post.
Old 27th August 2019, 15:42   #5044
BHPian

Quote:
In end- December 2018 while I was cycling about in the early morning near my house I saw a lovely little black and tan Indie puppychild sitting near a local tea shop and she came gambolling towards me to play. Just then a horrible damned early school bus went at speed past her and it was a narrow miss.
And a more lovely kind hearted little four legged furry pal I am yet to see.
Brilliant. Always pleases me to read this. I come from a family of animal-lovers and have always had a dog or two at home. Never bought one though. Firmly believe in adoption only - specially given the horrific breeding practices and the fact that what we consider "breeds" are all actually alien to our environments. Also, to me a dog is a family member - and its breed is irrelevant to me.

My current beauty (the older one) didn't have the luck of yours. A car went over her leg when she was a couple of months old and on the streets. The front left was operated upon twice but had to be amputated ultimately. Well, she lost her leg, but gained a home! She's got company too as a couple of years after she adopted us, she also brought home a youngling to keep her company! The most loving company I've had. And the best guards for my 5-year old too!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-let-sleeping-dogs-lie....jpg
imidnightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 22:31   #5045
Distinguished - BHPian

A neighbourhood cat has made our garage it's home, and had a litter of 5 kittens. She's moved the kittens within the garage, and is now relaxed enough with me & my mom - though sometimes hisses. A quick pic of the new family: Not sure about the gender of the kittens, since we havent touched them yet and they are still shy.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fullsizerender22.jpg

It allows petting too, when it's having food - havent tried at other times. When asking for food, it calls out, and then waits near the bowl we have placed for it. At other times if I am in the garage and it wants food, it comes up to me and does that rub-it's-body. If she isn't waiting but we give her food, she will come when called.

Speaking of food for the cat, what can we feed it - we are vegetarian at home, and no plans to take her in permanently. Right now it's chappati, rice, bread, parle-g - all with some milk.

And yes - if any one wants one of these, do let me know !

Last edited by condor : 30th August 2019 at 22:45.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 23:40   #5046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Speaking of food for the cat, what can we feed it - we are vegetarian at home, and no plans to take her in permanently. Right now it's chappati, rice, bread, parle-g - all with some milk.
Cats are obligate carnivores - if they don't eat meat they are gonna die.

Quote:
Cats are obligate carnivores because of their inherited needs. Over generations, cats have lost the ability to manufacture amino acids and vitamins like herbivores and omnivores can; they get these from the meat they eat. Cats also need specific nutrients to function properly, like taurine, arginine, and niacin, which are found in animal flesh. In fact, cats need these nutrients in every meal for survival. Luckily, they are plentiful in all meat sources. The bottom line: Cats need meat to live.
https://www.canidae.com/blog/2017/10...te-carnivores/

If you have reservations about feeding the cat meat, or don't wanna invest in cat food, and don't want to make long term commitments - don't make it too dependent on your handouts. She's gonna leave once the kittens are old enough.
Old 31st August 2019, 03:15   #5047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A neighbourhood cat has made our garage it's home, and had a litter of 5 kittens. ... ... ... no plans to take her in permanently.
Sorry, but it looks as if she has made her plans!

Yes, you must give meat or meat-based food. You can give dried food to avoid the meaty feeling. None of my cats was invited (although they are all now loved) and they get what they get --- relatively inexpensive dried catfood.

Do not give milk. Cats are, despite the stories, not natural milk drinkers after they stop suckling. They may even be lactose intolerant. Water will do fine.

I was told by a vet that a nursing mother needs more food than a pregnant mother. She has to have the right (meaty) nutrition.
Old 31st August 2019, 04:04   #5048
BANNED

Quote:
Better to not feed the cat/kittens at all than feeding any of this. At least not feeding will make them hunt for their own food. Just keep fresh water for them - change it few times a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Cats are obligate carnivores - if they don't eat meat they are gonna die.
They will also go blind before they die and have all kinds of other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
they get what they get --- relatively inexpensive dried catfood.
That is OK as long as it's not the only food they are getting - I mean are they 100% dependent on you for food or is what you give only part of their diet.

I feed a couple of stray cats once a day - I use cheap dry food for this. But my own cat gets a mix of dry & wet food.

Last edited by carboy : 31st August 2019 at 04:12.
Old 31st August 2019, 07:15   #5049
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all for the point about water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.. and they get what they get --- relatively inexpensive dried catfood.

Do not give milk.
Sir - what's this catfood you referred to ? About the milk - she goes after the milk first !
Old 31st August 2019, 07:40   #5050
BANNED

Quote:

Sir - what's this catfood you referred to ?
Go to your neighbourbood pet shop & get Whiskas Dry Food - any flavour would do. Dry food is high in carbs, so not the best food, but dirt cheap and convenient. Long term consumption of dry food also may lead to urinary blockages if they don't drink much water (cats don't have a natural thirst - so they don't drink much water - they get their water from their food).
If want to spend more money, get Whiskas wet food pouches like these - https://www.amazon.in/Whiskas-Adult-...dp/B01KFH1006/

These won't smell or look like fish, so vegetarians will not be repelled as such even if fish normally repels them.

Quote:
About the milk - she goes after the milk first !
Some cats like milk but many cats get diarrhea because of milk.

Last edited by carboy : 31st August 2019 at 07:43.
Old 31st August 2019, 09:08   #5051
BHPian

Quote:

Sir - About the milk - she goes after the milk first !
I honestly think that this " milk and bread etc can kill your cat" is overhyped. I don't feed my cats milk ( they get raw at night and wetfood in the mornings), but then they are bengals and kind of royality
But I still have one rescued street cat and he is probably in better shape than the royals in his diet of bread and milk in the morning and rice and dal at night. He turns up his nose at regular cat food but gets raw meat from time to time as treats.
And in last 25 years I had several cats that thrived on this kind of "wrong" diet. And I have always weaned kittens on bread and milk( diluted) .. even bengals.
Point is, the general consensus is to avoid milk and carbs, but I believe 90+% of cats in India are thriving on these things with the occasional mouse and bird they hunt.
Personally what I think is that for weaning you can try a little bit of bread soaked in diluted milk and then watch the poop. If it is runny, then you should go back to cat food( soaked at first or wet food) , if the stools are fine then increase the portion step by step. Introduce other foods in the same way. start with very small portions.
If u make a street cat dependent on kibble or wetfood then it wont do him any good unless you plan on feeding him permanently or taking him in.
Old 31st August 2019, 10:07   #5052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I honestly think that this " milk and bread etc can kill your cat" is overhyped. I don't feed my cats milk ( they get raw at night and wetfood in the mornings), but then they are bengals and kind of royality

And in last 25 years I had several cats that thrived on this kind of "wrong" diet. And I have always weaned kittens on bread and milk( diluted) .. even bengals.
Point is, the general consensus is to avoid milk and carbs, but I believe 90+% of cats in India are thriving on these things with the occasional mouse and bird they hunt.
@Condor, i second pyrodrive on this. We used to have a lot of permanent cat residents (mom cat and remaining ones from several generations of her litter along with some walkins) in the house till a few years back. They used to get whatever veg stuff mom made that day could be idlis, chapati, rice etc and some milk (diluted). All of them lived on this veg food and when they wanted some nonveg they used to get their own in the form of mouse, garden lizard, gecko, cockroaches etc. We never had a rat problem when these killing machines were in and around the house!

Quote:
A neighbourhood cat has made our garage it's home, and had a litter of 5 kittens.
She looks cute! If the cat and her litter remains in your garage be prepared to see remnants of rats/mice/other small beings available locally once the kittens are in their cat teens. Mom cat would bring them live food to get them trained Being a neiborhood/semi-feral cat and not a fully domesticated one she will manage just fine, at this time what she needs is shelter for her little ones and herself, food she will manage some on her own and rice, idli, dosa, chapati, will help too if you cannot give a cat diet.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st August 2019 at 10:18.
Old 31st August 2019, 12:19   #5053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Some cats like milk but many cats get diarrhea because of milk.
They are animals - they know what is bad for them. Not like humans who eat by desire than by need.

Quote:
I honestly think that this " milk and bread etc can kill your cat" is overhyped. ... And in last 25 years I had several cats that thrived on this kind of "wrong" diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
She looks cute! If the cat and her litter remains in your garage be prepared to see remnants of rats/mice/other small beings .. would bring them live food to get them trained

Being a neiborhood/semi-feral cat and not a fully domesticated one she will manage just fine, at this time what she needs is shelter for her little ones and herself, .. .
Thanks, #Prodrive & @Sankar. Agree with you. Generations of us have seen cats eating what we provide them - rice, milk, etc - the regular stuff that we prepare at home. And they have managed their meat needs outside. Rarely have the cats brought home their hunt, though right now we are looking out for this hunting training to start.

Yes Sankar - she wanted shelter and found it here in our garage. That's why we are feeding her and letting her be.
Old 31st August 2019, 12:47   #5054
BANNED

Quote:
I honestly think that this " milk and bread etc can kill your cat" is overhyped.
Milk & Bread cannot kill your cat if they eat other stuff also. But if they eat only Vegetarian stuff, it's guaranteed that they will suffer from taurine deficiency (and other deficiencies also). Humans & Dogs can synthesize their own taurine but cats cannot. The first thing which happens with taurine deficiency is that the cat goes blind. And this is not theory or something which happens to some cats - but will happen to each & every cat who doesn't have enough taurine in their diet. Vegetarian stuff has zero taurine. Even with meat & fish, cooking removes most of the taurine from the food, so feeding only cooked meat will also mean the same problem. Till the 70s, world over, cats were never fed by humans even if they lived with humans. Cats were kept as hunters to hunt on rats & other pests and that's what they ate. In the 60s & 70s, cats started being kept at home in the US etc. When cats were fed cooked meat at homes, all of a sudden there was a huge number of pet cats going blind. In pet food (dry & wet), they add taurine as a supplement because meat in catfood is cooked & lacks taurine. About milk, most cats unless they continously drink milk from childhood become lactose intolerant so they get diarrhea.

In general, the more vegetarian food, cats have (or even dogs for that matter), the more chances they get diabetic as they grow older & then you will have to inject insulin daily and eventually there is also kidney failure. Dry food has a lot of plant food as fillers mixed with meat so only dry food is not a good diet. Also if a cat is only on dry food, there is a high chance of having urinary blockage which is very painful.

Quote:
But I still have one rescued street cat and he is probably in better shape than the royals in his diet of bread and milk in the morning and rice and dal at night. He turns up his nose at regular cat food but gets raw meat from time to time as treats.
Unless he kills & eats other stuff, there is a chance that he is going to get diabetic with age. And depending how frequently or infrequently he gets raw meat, if he becomes taurine deficient, he will go blind. About raw, raw meat is best unless it's fish. Raw fish contains something which destroys some particular in the cats body. Again, if that's not all he eats, it's Ok, but if a cat's diet is 100% raw fish, he will be ill eventually.
As for milk, if the cat can digest it gives calcium which is good. Cat which eats only home cooked meat may get rickets because of calcium deficiency because in the wild, they eat the bones of small prey which gives them calcium

About my cat, he was a stray cat, I adopted when he was 3 months old. From day 1, he wouldn't touch milk. When he first came to my building, I had no familiarity with cats or any pets. When he came crying to me with acute hunger, I offered him milk. He slept next to the milk in our building stairway but didn't touch the milk & was hungry through the night. Next morning, I bought him some cheap fish from fishmonger & he ate what seemed to twice his weight within minutes, he was that hungry. He will also walk away from chappati or bread or biscuits even if he starving to death. Anyway, after a few weeks I adopted him & he is an indoor-outdoor cat - he spends the night inside & half the day outside. He doesn't eat anything outside even if chases prey & tortures them - I guess he has lost the habit of eating his own kill.

Quote:
Generations of us have seen cats eating what we provide them - rice, milk, etc - the regular stuff that we prepare at home. And they have managed their meat needs outside.
If you are not their only source of food, then it's OK, I guess. Cats on the street anyway don't live long, they either die in cat fights or come under some vehicle, so at young age, they are not going to get diabetic irrespective of what they eat & as long as they kill their meat outside, they are not going to become taurine deficient - especially if they eat raw meat. Raw meat is loaded with taurine.

Last edited by carboy : 31st August 2019 at 12:57.
Old 31st August 2019, 14:46   #5055
Senior - BHPian

Since we are discussing about cats, I shall share my 2 cents. Have had plenty of cats in the home even before I was born. My grandma was the one who started allowing them to take refuge and proliferate.
Since I began taking care of them, about 20 years back, what they eat is fresh raw fish / chicken when it's brought in from the market in the morning, then boiled fish + rice for lunch, and now a days (since the last 10 years) kibbles for snacks. If fish is in short supply, it's whiskas wet food + rice to the rescue !
Some of the cats were hunters, and I have seen them hunt mice / rats / birds and eat them / present them to us.
They have died from various causes ranging from vehicle hit to injuries sustained while fighting to old age, but any are yet to go blind or be diabetic or malnourished.
The oldest cat I have now is 13 years old, so I must have done something right !

Last edited by blackasta : 31st August 2019 at 14:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks