Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2019, 20:28   #5086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A pic taken just now: the mama cat is now going out more often, she is hungrier too. The kittens have started eating the food we keep.

Attachment 1913333

Cuddling up when she's out foraging. My favourite cat colours are orange-white and pure grey with dark pads and lips. In my neiborhood these two colours are rare nowadays. I would love to take in one (cousin offered a kitten) but it won't be a good idea because of the K9 in the house.

Quote:
I did find a rat yesterday. Had to dispose off that.
Kittens are a little young to feed on rats at this stage but mom cat does her bit to get them interested. When they grow a bit you will find rat piece meal (usually with tail and head remaining) instead of whole Yes it will happen only a question of when!

He's almost 4 months old now and now on completely home cooked diet.

Old 15th September 2019, 07:57   #5087
Distinguished - BHPian

About a week back, all the 5 kittens disappeared. Not sure who took them away, though our tenant said "cat taking the kittens". There's a bob cat around here, so not sure if it was the mama cat or that one.

For a couple of days she kept searching, and then has been going out except coming back at food time. At food time, she keeps meowing. Often sits on the mat we have placed inside the back-door of the house.

Couple of days back I though I heard a kitten meow once, but didnt find any. Today I saw two are back. Actually, a little later I find all the 5 are still around.

Last edited by condor : 15th September 2019 at 08:02.
Old 15th September 2019, 08:57   #5088
BHPian

Quote:
About a week back, all the 5 kittens disappeared. Not sure who took them away, though our tenant said "cat taking the kittens".
Couple of days back I though I heard a kitten meow once, but didnt find any. Today I saw two are back. Actually, a little later I find all the 5 are still around.
Glad to hear that they are safe. You are going to have a lot of cats around, it seems. Finding new homes for moggy kittens, however cute they may be, can be hard. Have you considered getting the mama cat spayed? Cats can get pregnant again after 2-3 months of having kittens, and if it happens, it will affect her health and well being.
Old 15th September 2019, 13:12   #5089
Distinguished - BHPian

Cats do move their kittens around, but I'm curious as to how yours works have disappeared without the mother knowing. Are they getting big enough to wander?

About Bob Cats: I had a mental picture of miniature bulldozers as a risk to cat families!
Old 15th September 2019, 15:22   #5090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Cats do move their kittens around, but I'm curious as to how yours works have disappeared without the mother knowing.
When I posted that, I was going by what the tenant said - she didnt mention anything about the cat to help identify it. I was wondering if it was the bob-cat that roams around here taking away the kittens - ,, to kill ? At least mentioning the color would have helped.

But today morning, we see all the kittens here.
Old 15th September 2019, 15:57   #5091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I posted that, I was going by what the tenant said - she didnt mention anything about the cat to help identify it. I was wondering if it was the bob-cat that roams around here taking away the kittens - ,, to kill ? At least mentioning the color would have helped.

But today morning, we see all the kittens here.
I'm guessing some human is at action here - someone (tenant family?) moved the kittens to a different place when the mom wasn't around; and hence her confusion. Either the mom figured it out or the kittens did, and they all came back.

I trust you have a timeline to get them neutered/spayed; even the kittens before they start moving around / out of the house. From the pics they look around ~4-5 weeks; I believe you can get them spayed/neutered by the 6th week.
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:08   #5092
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. Long back, back in the days when cameras were more in the studios than outside. The ones outside were the P&S stuff.
Driving the cart isnt a biggie. Once the yoke of the cart is on their neck,.....I still try to use every chance I get to get close to them. Tend them, feed them. Did I share this pic earlier ? Having worked with these magnificent animals, I just love this pic. It says so much.
What a marvellous photograph - it reminds me of another photo posted by a member which showed him and his child with their domestic cow. This was sometime ago and I'll try and locate the photo & the location.
Old 25th October 2019, 19:21   #5093
Distinguished - BHPian

Found these two little birdies today - they had just dropped from a tree. We could not spot the nest, so we made a make-shift resting place for them. In a way good that we picked them up because soon after this it started to rain.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2433.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2435.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2437.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2443.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2449.jpg

Not sure how they will survive without the mother. They were quite active - the little claws could grip quite well. They did chirp a couple of time. Not sure how and what to feed, so have asked one person to try milk using a syringe. The guy is familiar with animals, so we hope we can nurse them another week or so so they grow a bit more and fly away.

That's a square tin box lined with outer shell of a coconut.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 20:40   #5094
BHPian

Hi condor please keep them above floor height so that ants or other insects cannot get to them. You did a good thing. Fingers crossed.

Edit here is a link with suggestions on what to feed. Apparently they need very frequent feeding every 15 minutes or so. Earthworms, mealworms, dry cat food are some suggested food

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikih...y-Bird%3famp=1

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 25th October 2019 at 20:43.
Old 25th October 2019, 20:44   #5095
Distinguished - BHPian

Worms and bugs. Not milk. These birds aren’t mammals.

If not under supervision, these babies won’t last Diwali. Good on you condor, take them indoors if mama isn’t around by now.
Old 25th October 2019, 20:48   #5096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi condor please keep them above floor height so that ants or other insects cannot get to them.

Edit here is a link with suggestions on what to feed. Apparently they need very frequent feeding every 15 minutes or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Worms and bugs. Not milk. These birds aren’t mammals.
They are above floor height. We were thinking of Ragi / crushed rice.

I got one reference for a bird rescue team. I will be contacting them.

Yes, Fingers crossed. Hope we can save them
Old 25th October 2019, 20:56   #5097
Distinguished - BHPian

We have sunbirds that nest outside our kitchen window. When looking after chicks, they will bring food to the nest regularly. I think it is mostly small insects. Don't know how you would catch those.

idea: lizard food from a reptile shop? What do people think?

I'd agree that milk is off the menu; indeed, not mammals. I rather think veggie food is too, although I guess those sunbird beaks are developed to drink nectar from flowers. I have no idea if any of that gets fed to the children, though.

One thing: they need feeding urgently and often.

Good Luck!
Old 25th October 2019, 21:03   #5098
Distinguished - BHPian

Fish food might also work. Or the bait used to catch fish.

Don’t think condor can be tasked with all this.its crazy. Best left to a professional who will also know how to let the birds free once they are upto it.
Old 25th October 2019, 23:42   #5099
Senior - BHPian

The bitch-turning-out-impossible-to-catch (and thus sterilize) delivered another litter of 6 a couple of months back.
Lost one pup to illness and another to road accident. So now I have 4 pups who are couple of months old.
Deworming is in progress and feed supplement is being administered. Vaccination is planned after 3 months.
Trying to get them adopted via a local NGO, but chances look bleak.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20191020_144826.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20191020_143756.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20191020_143327.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20191020_143239.jpg
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 20:04   #5100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Fish food might also work. Or the bait used to catch fish.

Don’t think condor can be tasked with all this.its crazy.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I had got the number the Animal Resuce & Rehab center and had called them yesterday. They are located opp side of the city, and also with it being the weekend, they werent coming. While they gave alternate numbers - which was my Plan B if things didnt work out, I followed the suggestions they gave.

We placed the box outside where the mother could see and reach them. This way the mother could do the feeding herself. And that worked, so left them alone yesterday while bringing the box back to a sheltered place for the night so that the rains dont drench the baby.

Checked on the birds today. The healthier one had started flying with it's mother yesterday itself, and looks to have flown away.

The other one looks in better shape than when we picked it up. Hopefully will fly away in a day or two.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2453.jpg

Looks like it's a Warbler.

Last edited by condor : 27th October 2019 at 20:18.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks