Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 10:25   #5251
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Such beautiful cats @pyrodrive and @ast.ggn. Bell looks fine in these pics.
AnandB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 15:38   #5252
BHPian

How are fellow BHPians managing pet supplies in lockdown (anyone stuck with shortage)? Dogs can do fine with most human food but cats are fussy eaters. I found a 2 kgs pack of cat food just before lockdown which should be good enough for more than a month, but then I am stuck with cat litter sand and it may be a problem if lockdown extends beyond 14th. Any suggestions from cat lovers are welcome.
Old 31st March 2020, 15:55   #5253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
How are fellow BHPians managing pet supplies in lockdown (anyone stuck with shortage)? Dogs can do fine with most human food but cats are fussy eaters. I found a 2 kgs pack of cat food just before lockdown which should be good enough for more than a month, but then I am stuck with cat litter sand and it may be a problem if lockdown extends beyond 14th. Any suggestions from cat lovers are welcome.
My Cat is a fussy eater - Fish-No, Rice-No, Milk-No, Anything processed - Hells yeah!! I give her dry as well as wet food daily. She is very particular about the flavour and eats only Whiskas - Tuna and Jelly. Doesn't even go near any other flavour. Have ventured out twice in last 10 days to get cat food, checked 3 super markets, found only 3 packs of the flavour in stock. And given the situation, don't think pet food stock will be stocked up before lockdown. Whiskas is imported from Spain. Guess she needs to make do with dry food only for sometime.

Try to source construction sand. Cats won't complain. But, it does get messy. You can keep the litter box in the balcony.

This pic was taken on Day 4 #Lockdown

Team-BHPians and their Pets-0af7d13822d54d32a222b7a772a39001.jpeg
k88k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 19:40   #5254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Cats - my 2 cats have 1 daily meal of fish n rice which is continuing. Other than that I got a 3 kg bag of whiskas for snacks which normally runs for 3 months, just before the lockdown.

Dogs - I had an open bag of 20 kg pedigree which was half full, and I got another 20 kg bag on 20th, plus 2 small 1 kg bags as reserves. Opened the second 20 kg bag yesterday. I need around 1 kg of pedigree per day for breakfast & dinner of 8 dogs. Lunch they have chicken & rice, any anything that's leftover. I got 3 kg of chicken before the lockdown, and my dad got another kg this sunday. Biscuits (marie) I need 16 daily for breakfast only, and I have 6 more packs plus 1 open pack.
I have also located a wholesale rate supplier and he provides purepet quite cheap, almost half the rate of pedigree. Trying to get my dogs switched over.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 19:48   #5255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I have also located a wholesale rate supplier and he provides purepet quite cheap, almost half the rate of pedigree. Trying to get my dogs switched over.
Avoid purepet brand at all costs. It belongs to drools who also have a pretty bad rep for their food. Many vets counsel their clients against it.

Purepet was established by drools to get over the negative perception, but using the same downright atrocious quality of food.

I recommend sticking to the natural home cooked diet you have and keeping pedigree only almost as a treat. Dogs are great that way, very unfussy eaters if trained well.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 20:30   #5256
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
the same downright atrocious quality of food.

Atrocious in what way?
Old 31st March 2020, 20:32   #5257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Atrocious in what way?
Extremely bad ingredient sourcing which is why it is so darn cheap. As a manufacturer, don’t imagine they are doing us any favours by pricing it so cheap to the competition. It’s because what they put in there is rubbish.
Old 31st March 2020, 20:35   #5258
BANNED

Quote:
Extremely bad ingredient sourcing which is why it is so darn cheap
What do you mean by "bad ingredient"?
Old 31st March 2020, 20:38   #5259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by "bad ingredient"?
Carboy, feel free to do your own research. I did mine, read up a bit, spoke to different vets in different cities, actually bought the darn thing to feed cats that live in my society, and that’s that. Even the pet shops that I have spoken to in different places refrain from selling both brands because of advisories from the vet. The best I can do is provide some feedback at this point in time.

A few cats and dogs have died from kidney complications after a diet of drools and purepet.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st March 2020 at 20:39.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 20:39   #5260
BANNED

Quote:
Carboy, feel free to do your own research.
It was a genuine question - what is "bad ingredient"? I have never used it, but none of the googling I did mentions what exactly is wrong with it - just vague stuff that it's bad.

Quote:
A few cats and dogs have died from kidney complications after a diet of drools and purepet
Is there a source for this?

Last edited by carboy : 31st March 2020 at 20:41.
Old 31st March 2020, 20:44   #5261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was a genuine question - what is "bad ingredient"? I have never used it, but none of the googling I did mentions what exactly is wrong with it - just vague stuff that it's bad.
Is there a source for this?
Not all sources have to be on the Internet. Some sources can be first hand from a doctor.

Secondly, I don’t have the ingredients list or package with me, and nor have I documented any of my research anywhere. I feed cats regularly, both at home and outside, and therefore over a period of some time have come to know that this is to be avoided at all costs. Hence I pass the information on, but individual due diligence is each persons prerogative.

Lastly, both pedigree and royal canin are from the same manufacturer, and pretty much are the same quality of food under a different brand to milk different markets. First hand info from a vet I trust - Doctor Cat, chennai. Look him up.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 20:45   #5262
BHPian

This is my golden retriever Murphy. He is a friendly and affable fellow, but lazy as hell. This is favorite posture of sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-89390441_10222805770752182_290594085633261568_o.jpg  

confused.geek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 21:12   #5263
BANNED

Quote:
I feed cats regularly, both at home and outside

So do I.
Quote:
and therefore over a period of some time have come to know that this is to be avoided at all costs.
I have also heard this a few times but never anything concrete, but just vague stuff.

As per Dr. Lisa of https://catinfo.org/ some of the cheap cat foods may not necessarily be bad. They are cheap because they use by-product meat which are considered unfit for human consumption. Drools, I think belongs to Venkys. I assume Venkys started the petfood division so as to dispose of parts of chickens which humans don't consume. As per Dr. Lisa, there is nothing wrong with byproducts. Since it's meat, it's better than any vegetarian stuff to feed cats. Of course, Dr. Lisa doesn't recommend any dry food at all. As per her, the cheapest wet food is better than the most expensive dry food for cats - but that's a different discussion.

Last edited by carboy : 31st March 2020 at 21:14.
Old 31st March 2020, 21:26   #5264
Distinguished - BHPian

Like I said, to each his own. I offered my suggestion to blackasta. Individual due diligence is important.

I wouldn’t touch it even if given money for it, not after extensive discussions with vets I know personally who don’t sell food from their clinics.

Good luck.
Old 31st March 2020, 21:38   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.geek View Post
This is my golden retriever Murphy.
Beautiful boy. Reminds me of Cherry as she would sleep like that sometimes. Wish you and Murphy a happy and long life together.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed