Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 22:30   #5266
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
A few cats and dogs have died from kidney complications after a diet of drools and purepet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is there a source for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Not all sources have to be on the Internet. Some sources can be first hand from a doctor.
My cat got severely weak within 3-4 days of feeding Drool. His energy levels went down like crazy and lost lot of weight. This was despite him eating normal quantities. There are simply no nutrients in that food, even ants aren't attracted to it if left out in open. I took him to vet and switched back to Royal Canin, he was his usual active self in 3-4 days. It is a strict no for me atleast.

And yes, I have come across posts by some NGO which had faced cases of kidney failures after feeding drools. I was searching for it today to share here but couldn't find it unfortunately.
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 23:35   #5267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The bitch-turning-out-impossible-to-catch (and thus sterilize) delivered another litter of 6 a couple of months back.
Lost one pup to illness and another to road accident. So now I have 4 pups who are couple of months old.
The mother dog was finally drugged, caught & sterilized this year.

The pups are now 7 months old.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-psx_20200321_091156.jpg
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 00:45   #5268
BHPian

I have a five and a half year old Great Dane, Fiona who was rescued and subsequently adopted by yours truly back in 2014 when she was two months old. I made the classical mistake of giving her Pedigree/Royal Canine up until she was 4 months old and boy it is the worst thing you can do to an animal! Horrible stools, growth issues all thanks to dry kibble. Her fur would shed like crazy, threw tantrums all the time. Breath would stink! The poop quantum was huge! AND it would stink so bad!

I later read about raw meat feeding and that's the best thing one can do for an animal! Always give them what is best for their body. Its been nearly 4+ years now on raw meat and her coat shines like she's been ceramic coated Poop quantum reduced to a fraction! Which meant her body is able to absorb most of the macro and micro nutrients now.

Her teeth are glistening pearly white, no more bad breath, very calm and well behaved. Super friendly with everyone. Extra gentle around little kiddos who are half her height!

Please do read about the benefits of raw fed diet for animals ( cats and dogs in this case).

She has a buddy (local feral/indie dog) named Chatterji- he is a canine distemper survivor. His mouth would constantly chatter uncontrollably, hence the name! He would be very afraid of Fiona in the beginning and I started feeding him raw beef, chicken, offal etc and his chattering has reduced considerably!

I give her 80% meat, 10% bones, 10% offal (organs, broth, veggies, eggs etc)

Please consult Ms. Devisri from UrbanDawgs for the exact requirement for each breed etc. She's been an ardent raw feeder and a popular name in the dog community.

Raw meat is the by far the best diet for carnivorous animals since it is the closest to their natural diet. They all have evolved from wild animals hence the best.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fi1.jpg

Fi with a brave little 5 year old boy!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fi2.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fi4.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-cat.jpg

That's Chatterji for you!
vishwasvr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:55   #5269
Senior - BHPian

The single most frustrating problem with raw feeding is avoiding worms and finding antibiotic free / hormone free meat.

Beef and mutton (expensive, mutton - so just beef I guess) are just fine for this but raw chicken, especially raw chicken offal and junk cuts, has a huge risk of salmonella poisoning as well.

What does your friend suggest for this - and can you please ask her what would be ideal for a gsd indie ten month / 20 kilo mix?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:36   #5270
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The single most frustrating problem with raw feeding is avoiding worms and finding antibiotic free / hormone free meat.

Beef and mutton (expensive, mutton - so just beef I guess) are just fine for this but raw chicken, especially raw chicken offal and junk cuts, has a huge risk of salmonella poisoning as well.

This is the same reason, I avoid feeding my cat raw. Why doesn't beef have a risk of poisoning or worms?
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:02   #5271
BHPian

Quote:

What does your friend suggest for this - and can you please ask her what would be ideal for a gsd indie ten month / 20 kilo mix?
Well, it is not safe if you don’t deep freeze meat for at least 2-3 days. Deep freezing will eliminate any bacteria in the meat. Never give them fresh raw meat. Always deep freeze and then thaw it out before their meal time.

Sure will check with her and revert.

Quote:
This is the same reason, I avoid feeding my cat raw. Why doesn't beef have a risk of poisoning or worms?
Any meat will be susceptible to bacteria. You always have to deep freeze.
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:35   #5272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Deep freezing will eliminate any bacteria in the meat. Never give them fresh raw meat. Always deep freeze and then thaw it out before their meal time.
Any meat will be susceptible to bacteria. You always have to deep freeze.

Nope, freezing doesn't kill bacteria. OTOH, freezing keeps bacteria viable for longer.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:59   #5273
Senior - BHPian

Yes Raw meat helps -
. Meat is tougher than cooked meat so a lot of chewing is needed.
. Bones are softer than cooked meat, so do not splinter.
. The volume is less and the absorption by body higher, so less stool volume.
. On the whole the teeth are super clean, bad breath non existent and the dog is extremely satisfied.

When I got my Lab about 14 years ago, I too started Raw meat - Buffalo, Chicken carcass and Fish, As he was just 4 months old when he started, he was very careful and would chew the meat and bones carefully. With fish he became better than most of us Bengali in separating bones from flesh.

He is now approaching 15 and has a regular diet of Rice Khichdi and raw carcass once in a while. With age his eyesight, hearing and muscles have deteriorated but the coat is perfect and he still can manage small jumps.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-qsc_2683.jpg
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:22   #5274
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, freezing doesn't kill bacteria. OTOH, freezing keeps bacteria viable for longer.
I stand corrected, deep freezing will arrest bacterial growth.
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:43   #5275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
I stand corrected, deep freezing will arrest bacterial growth.

What is the point in arresting bacterial growth?
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:18   #5276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the point in arresting bacterial growth?
If you don't break the cold chain and feed immediately after thawing it out (eg in a little warm water) the bacteria tend not to have time to grow back. You had better keep your dog current on deworming pills though.

And never raw feed chicken - beef or mutton are better for this, but chicken is risky even when undercooked let alone raw.
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:55   #5277
BANNED

Quote:
If you don't break the cold chain and feed immediately after thawing it out (eg in a little warm water) the bacteria tend not to have time to grow back.

I think it will become active as soon as it's thawed. Freezing has advantage that parasites die from freezing, even if bacteria doesn't die.
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:25   #5278
BHPian

Quote:
If you don't break the cold chain and feed immediately after thawing it out (eg in a little warm water) the bacteria tend not to have time to grow back. You had better keep your dog current on deworming pills though.

And never raw feed chicken - beef or mutton are better for this, but chicken is risky even when undercooked let alone raw.
Yes absolutely! Also, always thaw it at room temperature. Never in hot water. Because hot water tends to soften the meat quickly. At room temperature the meat will be a bit harder which will be better to chew.
Old 3rd April 2020, 17:18   #5279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beef has the same risk every other meat does - maybe more because you only get elderly cattle that have been given regular hormone injections by greedy milkmen, till they are too old to give milk. Such meat needs to be thoroughly cooked, can't feed it raw if you are wary of hormones and antibiotics.

I said beef or mutton can possibly be given raw rather than chicken but mutton is a very costly meat to feed a dog, so the choice usually works out as beef if you want to feed your dog red meat.
Old 8th April 2020, 15:15   #5280
BHPian

Would anyone know how much it would cost to neuter a dog (labrador) in Mumbai? It's kind of urgent and my doctor gave a range of 20-25k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks