Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2020, 17:02   #5281
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Would anyone know how much it would cost to neuter a dog (labrador) in Mumbai? It's kind of urgent and my doctor gave a range of 20-25k.
20-25K is too high if it is just surgery. However if it includes hospitalization for a few days with the medication then it might be OK. But still on the higher side.

Here in Bangalore, local vets charge around 2k to 3k for neutering/spaying cats/dogs. But it is just for the surgery alone and you need to take you pet back home in an un conscious state after the surgery and take it back for periodic checkup till they remove the bandage a week after the surgery. So total comes to around 4k to 5k.

Some of the more 'upmarket' clinics charge 8k-10K for the above procedure as well!
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 17:08   #5282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
neuter a dog.
Can you confirm that you mean dog rather than bitch; ie a male dog?

For us guys, it is a relatively simple operation, and the amount asked seems large, I think I got several cats done within that. But... I only know about cats and Chennai.

<cross-posted>

I seem to recall that my male cats (as is the case with humans) were on their feet again pretty quickly, whereas the females took longer and I chose to have them cared for as inpatients for a few days.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th April 2020 at 17:11.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 17:39   #5283
BHPian

Quote:
Would anyone know how much it would cost to neuter a dog (labrador) in Mumbai? It's kind of urgent and my doctor gave a range of 20-25k.
Way too high unless there are some complications or special things to be considered which aren't clear.

Strays get neutered at approximately 1500 plus medicine costs and boarding costs so approximately 2500 to 3000. Dog pounds do it for free for population control but survival rates are lower.

For a pet with a home I'd say 4000 to 5000 maximum as Sagar has mentioned in another post.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:17   #5284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can you confirm that you mean dog rather than bitch; ie a male dog?

For us guys, it is a relatively simple operation, and the amount asked seems large, I think I got several cats done within that. But... I only know about cats and Chennai..
When I got my bitch spayed at Paws n Claws in T Nagar (lane next to the Venkatanarayana Road temple, highly recommended), they charged around 4500 for the operation, 1000 for a couple of blood tests - she had low platelet count for some reason, and so I had to feed her papaya juice "setplet" syrup for a few days, bring her back and repeat the test.

Surgery done in about the time I took to eat lunch at a nearby restaurant and return, then I drove back home, gave her wet food and a lot of water when she woke up. Canvas bandage around her middle to protect the bandaged incision

Lucky I had a tarpaulin in the back seat of my car because she pissed all over it when she came out of anesthesia a couple of minutes before I pulled into my house's parking.

I picked Paws n Claws because they are well known around Chennai for doing micro / keyhole spaying, so it took barely 3 days to heal instead of a whole week with a bigger incision. Just didn't bathe her and kept that area dry and clean by not allowing her to roll on the mud etc, and cut away the bandage after the fourth day. The tough canvas prevented her from scratching the cut open.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 21:26   #5285
Senior - BHPian

Hi, is it ok if I don't neuter my dog? I love him to bits and don't want any pain on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
20-25K is too high if it is just surgery. However if it includes hospitalization for a few days with the medication then it might be OK. But still on the higher side.Here in Bangalore, local vets charge around 2k to 3k for neutering/spaying cats/dogs. But it is just for the surgery alone and you need to take you pet back home in an un conscious state after the surgery and take it back for periodic checkup till they remove the bandage a week after the surgery. So total comes to around 4k to 5k. Some of the more 'upmarket' clinics charge 8k-10K for the above procedure as well!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 21:46   #5286
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, is it ok if I don't neuter my dog? I love him to bits and don't want any pain on him.
When I adopted my cat, I had no idea that I would need to neuter him. By the time I read more & realized I had to do it if I wanted to be in my home (he is an indoor-outdoor cat), it was too late for me release him back into the street.

I didn't like the idea morally. But with a really heavy heart, I got him neutered when he was 6 months old. You cannot keep an unneutered cat at home. They spray urine on the walls when they are in heat & they also wail through the night. This is what I read - I haven't actually experienced it because I got my cat neutered before he went into heat for the first time. And they also say that it's better to do it before they go into heat for the first time (better for me, I mean).

That said, the pain part is not much for male cats atleast. They heal within 3 days or so. Females take a little longer.

I have no idea if all the above info is same for dogs also.

Last edited by carboy : 8th April 2020 at 22:00.
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 21:50   #5287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't hurt them a bit, don't worry. Mild painkillers are given during the 2-3 days that it takes to heal, but after that my girl was happy and playing with her friends.

Seriously, you don't want your dog to mate with random bitches and produce puppies - which they will do, even trying to escape from your house when bitches nearby are in heat, and also get into fights with other dogs that are after the same bitch.

Go ahead and neuter.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 22:21   #5288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well even if you don't neuter him, it won't do any harm. Labs are very friendly dogs and are rarely aggressive unless they are kept tied up and are abused. I had a lab since the past 14 years who passed away just a year back and we chose not to have him neutered and he was extremely well behaved and pleasant. Depends quite a lot on the nature of your dog and they tend to get over their juvenile phase by the time they are 2 years old and become mature after that.
Especially during the lockdown stage I would recommend to defer this decision for now as you may not get quality veterinary care at this time.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 23:09   #5289
BHPian

My female lab has been in heat 3-4 times till now except for blood flow she never seemed to be in heat/looking to mate at all.
Old 9th April 2020, 10:27   #5290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If your dog tries to mate with street bitches then it is better to get him neutered. If he is in heat then he will have the urge to spit urine and mark territory. IF you are ok with that then no need to get him neutered.

Dog experts can throw more light on this.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 10:49   #5291
Distinguished - BHPian

About neutering, for pet dogs, I'd say it depends. Since most doggies will be inside most of the time and will be with the owner while outside, I think it's ok not to get them neutered. The problem is if you allow your dog to wander on it's own outdoors, which anyway is a bad idea. But bottom line, we don't need any more stray puppies being created, right. Another consideration, unscrupulous breeders will be more likely to lift a non-neutered dog and use them for breeding. It happens.

Pet cats, I'd say certainly neuter. Cats will wander. Too many stray kittens and most don't survive.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 11:05   #5292
Senior - BHPian

He did spit urine on the couch (which he never does/or has done before). So I guess that's the call. Thank you for this info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If your dog tries to mate with street bitches then it is better to get him neutered. If he is in heat then he will have the urge to spit urine and mark territory. IF you are ok with that then no need to get him neutered. Dog experts can throw more light on this.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:20   #5293
BHPian

A scenario that's bothering me ever since the coronavirus outbreak is if the pet parent and family get infected and are taken away to a Quarantine facility plus the house gets sealed, how is the pet taken care of? Now that Mumbai has emerged as a hotspot and many areas around my residence have been sealed, I am worried.

Last edited by greenoval : 10th April 2020 at 18:22.
greenoval is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 22:34   #5294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
A scenario that's bothering me ever since the coronavirus outbreak is if the pet parent and family get infected and are taken away to a Quarantine facility plus the house gets sealed, how is the pet taken care of? Now that Mumbai has emerged as a hotspot and many areas around my residence have been sealed, I am worried.
You quarantine yourself into a room and send the dog to a boarding facility I guess. Or if your friend or relative is willing to host the dog, fine. You had better get together with other dog owners in your area and create a mutual assistance sort of setup. The dog can stay with you but they could walk it, or it stays with them for a while. And vice versa if they are affected.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 23:50   #5295
BHPian

Hi

Newbie to this... Hence please pardon my noob question

Considering getting a pet dog.. Am a first time pet owner. Main requirements - small size , suitable for apartment living, not prone to too much barking, and low on maintenance grooming/ shorter hair

Have 2 kids aged 4 and 10. They wanted a pug or shuh tsu.. Any other brand suitable for the humid climate that we have? French Bulldog, beagle

PS - i am also looking at adoptions, but Indian pariah or spitz right now doesn't seem to be their choice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks