Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 18:59   #5506
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
A lot (maybe 60-70%) of people I spoke with suggested to get both pups at once, but none of them had actually raised and kept two pups from the same litter, although most were speaking from the standpoint of having kept more than one pet concurrently (which apparently is an excellent idea)..
I actually have. We got our first female dog about 30 years back. That line continued for about the next 15 years. A couple of litters, out of one we kept 2,the next one 3. Then there was another female, and she gave just one litter of 3,of which we kept 2. Both girls. They really kept each other engaged, occasional fights, but nothing bad. Keeping so many dogs does take a little extra, but not that much. However, since you're a first time owner, let's take it slow.
A couple of months and dogs do forget about a missing sibling, I've seen. Not entirely though, because even if they meet after years, it's just so much fun to see them get friendly again almost immediately.
mayankk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 20:40   #5507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

And if possible try to adopt one but additionally foster the entire litter till they all get good homes. Pups barely survive on our streets. And once the mother is better, kindly get her spayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
As you had a dog earlier, I an sure you would know the rest on how to raise a pup at home. I would also kindly request you to continue feeding his less fortunate brothers and sisters who don't have a home, and please get the mother dog sterilized.
Apologies for the delayed response. Was unwell.

I have reached out to some of my dog loving friends trying to find them homes but people are turning away as these are not pedigrees. Efforts are still on.

The pups are roughly 45 days old and recognize my tone. I pet them during the feeding time. Been giving them mashed bread or bun mixed in butter milk/curd. First few days gave them pedigree gravy packs. I see crusty patches in their tales and paws, might have transferred from their mother during the rains.

Heart says adopt two pups and wife says just one. I would have taken all 4 if I had a big farm house.

I am going to continue to feed the remaining pups without doubt.

Catching hold of the mother is a big challenge as there were several attempts in the past by the municipal authorities for spaying her and her mother. But yes, will get that done too after some weeks.

Time for some pics :

Meal time :
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5503.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5504.jpg

Koffee:
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5507.jpg

Oreo:
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5510.jpg

Koffe, oreo & Pepper :
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5509.jpg

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 10th September 2020 at 20:41.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 10:40   #5508
BHPian

Hi friends,
I'm looking for a labrador puppy (male) for adoption near Mumbai and Thane, for a friend.
He'll be a first time owner.
Please PM me if you know someone who has one.
Old 18th September 2020, 14:17   #5509
Senior - BHPian

Such a nice message

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20200912wa0000.jpg
self_driven is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 10:21   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
We are in the market for a car to travel within our pet in tow.

We are a family of 4 including (wife,kiddo,9yr old golden retriever,me).
As you said a MUV/SUV would be ideal. I have taken my 2 year old GSD in my Safari for long tours extending up to 8 hours at a stretch.

Remember that the car's AC sucks moisture from the occupants and so it is imperative that you feed water every hour during the day time and once every 2 hours in the evening/night.

Feed him 2 hours before the journey. Don't go overboard. Feed him light. When you have your lunch, feed him very little. On reaching your destination, he may not have much of an appetite for that day. He will start eating normally from the next day. Give a gap of one day before you start again.
I carry an ice box for the pet's food. You need a large car for a large dog. They generally need some space to turn around. I had shifted the luggage to the center while the back space was reserved for the pet. I rigged a cotton mattress and topped it with a rubber sheet.

I have to lift him to the back of the Safari every time. I am on the lookout for a scissor type steel lift. It will be less painful for my back. The height of the car is too much for a large dog to climb. Incidentally my dog may suffer from Hip dysplasia and so I can't force him to jump.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:13   #5511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Apologies for the delayed response. Was unwell.

I have reached out to some of my dog loving friends trying to find them homes but people are turning away as these are not pedigrees. Efforts are still on.

The pups are roughly 45 days old and recognize my tone. I pet them during the feeding time. Been giving them mashed bread or bun mixed in butter milk/curd. First few days gave them pedigree gravy packs.
I am going to continue to feed the remaining pups without doubt.
Update :
The vet whom I used to visit for my dog isn't opening up clinic due to his old age and fear of getting exposed to COVID. Visited the government vet who is 1 km from my home. He suggested to get them dewormed first and after a week vaccinate through '7 in one' and Anti-rabies shot.
Got de-worming done for 3 out of 4 pups via Drontal Plus (1 ml). Other pup got away from my hands.

The pups are growing fast and getting habituated to the food thrown away by our colony members. To get them used to my home, I got two pups inside my compound and they started exploring the trash bin. Mother dog comes in after some time and starts crying for them joined by their other two siblings. This whole scene is quite noisy and attention drawing hence had to leave them out.

I am little worried as they might get to be un-tamable and picking qualities from other dogs and her mother.

Suggestions please
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:34   #5512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Suggestions please
For stray dogs, trash bin is like a treasure trove. Don't worry, let them spend time with their mom. After a while, she'll start avoiding them as she stops breastfeeding them, and won't be overtly upset if a couple of them go missing.

Landrace dogs thrive in packs, and anyone of them, if separated from the pack, would whine and cry.

Try separating after 10-12 weeks of age.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:07   #5513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Landrace dogs thrive in packs, and anyone of them, if separated from the pack, would whine and cry.

Try separating after 10-12 weeks of age.
Don't separate any pup from its mother before two months. It isn't just mother's milk, the pup learns essential skills from its mother.
hserus is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:17   #5514
BHPian

I too have the same questions. We are planning to do a road trip of over 8 hours with our 3-month-old Shihtzu puppy. He is already used to short trips in our XUV. Currently, he just settles on my daughter's lap or the floor. What is the best set-up - Carrier, foldable bags or just a good mattress? With just 2 adults and a child there are a lot of possible setups in the XUV, hence I'm wondering what is the best way forward. Pls, suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Our Beagle puppy will soon be 9 weeks old. She is already trained to sleep in her own crate and willingly crashes inside with her favourite toy when sufficiently tired.

Couple of questions:

1. Getting her used to cars:
We are planning ~5 hour road trips soon, and I will slowly get her used to going out in cars. Any tips on how to achieve this?

2. Pet carrier:
Looking for a portable pet carrier to strap into the back seat for the highway portion + sleeping in hotel rooms or homestays. Amazon has some good ones on sale today albeit all non-returnable. Are these good and/or are there alternatives? Should I buy a small one now and then upgrade later or directly buy the adult one? What sizes do I buy in both cases?

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-P...mcd_asin_2_img
https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-1...=AT95IG9ONZD7S

Sorry, lot of questions!
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 01:03   #5515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
I too have the same questions. We are planning to do a road trip of over 8 hours with our 3-month-old Shihtzu puppy. He is already used to short trips in our XUV. Currently, he just settles on my daughter's lap or the floor. What is the best set-up - Carrier, foldable bags or just a good mattress? With just 2 adults and a child there are a lot of possible setups in the XUV, hence I'm wondering what is the best way forward. Pls, suggest.
We use a travel crate, and our dog's bed fits in it. IMHO, sleeping on their own bed makes them feel secure, feeling of being back in their den. Without their beds, both our dogs get restless. You can secure this crate by cramming other things in your XUV, or tie the crate/carrier to tie downs. You can rest assured nothing will come loose and land on your pet.

If your dog has a big bed that you cannot travel with, I would try to get your pet accustomed to a travel size bed for a week before you travel.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 09:07   #5516
Senior - BHPian

Tie downs are better for a crate. Additionally if you are ok with the dog on a seat near you with a towel, make sure your dog wears a harness there are harness attachments available on Amazon that clip into a 3 point seat belt, like the middle rear seat's one I'd guess would work well.

Use a harness with a long enough leash that there is some freedom of movement and your dog won't choke - never use this setup with a collar.

Feed the dog dry food rather than having to cart fresh chicken around but well before the trip (they typically need feeding twice a day max) so that they can poop before they travel, and make sure to give plenty of water. Plenty of portable water dispenser + dog bowls available on Amazon for travel needs.

Stop every 2-3 hours so the dog can pee and you should be fine. After that .. well, locate hotels that are dog friendly and don't mind allowing a dog upstairs into your room. Or stay at relatives' places, camp sites etc that don't have issues with a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
We use a travel crate, and our dog's bed fits in it. IMHO, sleeping on their own bed makes them feel secure, feeling of being back in their den. Without their beds, both our dogs get restless. You can secure this crate by cramming other things in your XUV, or tie the crate/carrier to tie downs. You can rest assured nothing will come loose and land on your pet.

If your dog has a big bed that you cannot travel with, I would try to get your pet accustomed to a travel size bed for a week before you travel.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:01   #5517
Distinguished - BHPian

Cat (/pet) owners,
Have you heard anyone offering a service (especially in Mumbai) to come to your home every 2-3 days to clean up the litter and fill up the feeding bowls and just spend a hour or so with your cats?

Trying to arrange this setup with friends in the city, but would be interested to know if there's a paid (and reliable) service that we could avail off. This is for a week (/10 days period) in the near future.
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:25   #5518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Cat (/pet) owners,
Have you heard anyone offering a service (especially in Mumbai) to come to your home every 2-3 days to clean up the litter and fill up the feeding bowls and just spend a hour or so with your cats?
Try Petronus on +91 816-9528293. They basically arrange for people depending on the pet’s needs. Haven’t used them personally but I got a quote from them a few months back for boarding my pup.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd October 2020 at 16:33. Reason: typo
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:17   #5519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Try Petronus on +91 816-9528293. They basically arrange for people depending on the pet’s needs. Haven’t used them personally but I got a quote from them a few months back for boarding my pup.
Thanks - I got a recommendation from a fellow cat owner about a team that offers this service. They charge 600 per visitation (1 hour); he's used their service in the past.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:24   #5520
BHPian

My dog(Ron) hates traveling in the car, on every visit to the vet he starts whining after a while as if i'm kidnapping him and taking him away from home.

We have made 4 350 kms road trips to my ancestral village home and after around 50 kms of whining and trying to get on the front seats he settles and starts looking out, barking on other dogs and animals becomes his favorite pass time. But he needs the complete rear area of my small polo, only 2 people can travel with him.

Whenever he hears the unlocking/locking sounds of the central locking he rushes out into the garage and thinks i'm leaving without him, he tries every time to get into the car, and if he gets in he doesn't come out, if i pull him he lies down and growls at me as well. I have to play cat meow sounds on youtube to make him come out. And whenever i leave, he howls and whines a lot. Strangely when i take my bike he doesn't care much.

This picture is from yesterday when i was cleaning the car and he got in and became pretty comfortable after a while, he stayed in the car till i finished all the cleaning and again i had to play cat meows on youtube to get him out, he gets all riled up and starts hunting for the cats. He'll be turning 10 this December.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20201101_220013.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks