Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 17:44   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
Hi,
We need suggestion/help for adopting a pet. We came to know 10 months old golden retriever is up for adoption. here are the facts:

(1) We live in a flat (Got good space(inside and outside of the flat though)
(2) 2 Year old daughter
(3) Both of us (me and wife) work which requires to be out of home from 8-6
(4) There is no one else at home from 8-6

With the above facts is it good to take the pet. Even if we take the pet any practical suggestions on how we can mange the pet between 8-6?

Thanks in advance for your valuable suggestions.
I feel its better not to. The pet will feel lonely and sad. Pets are like kids, they do need and crave attention.
Old 12th May 2009, 20:30   #542
Senior - BHPian

^^^Absolutely! No way you can leave a doggie alone that long!!
Old 12th May 2009, 20:59   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

mange the pet --- an unfortunate typo

Yes, I agree --- at ten months this dog is barely grown up; may still be at the furniture-chewing stage.

The young dog will be very boisterous with your young child too: my parents got a golden retriever when I was a child, although much older than 2, and we always somehow identified with each other, as the puppies of the family. My goodness, she could play rough, though, and I usually had an armful of bite marks. No, she never drew blood; she was the gentlest of creatures, despite the play.

Your daughter would have to be robust enough not to mind a creature bigger than she is jumping all over her. She absolutely must not be afraid.

It is not that dogs can't be left alone for hours, but I think one should be a little older. The doggie may well need to be introduced more slowly to controlling its bladder and bowels too --- not to do so could have disgusting results.

Nice that you should be willing to adopt an animal though
Old 13th May 2009, 15:03   #544
BHPian

Hi Hemanth, Raccoon and Thad,
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. We are opting out of adopting the pet.

Thad,
Thanks for pointing out the typo (even though it is meaningful but it is not a pleasant word in the pet world )

All,
If any of you would like to adopt the dog let me know(Location Bangalore). I will pass on the contact details.
Here is the photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-wilson.jpg  

Old 13th May 2009, 15:26   #545
BHPian

would like to introduce my pet . His name is "Ginger", a 2 months old pug.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01916-large.jpg  

Old 13th May 2009, 15:57   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is not that dogs can't be left alone for hours, but I think one should be a little older.
I would consider leaving a dog alone for several hours only if it has sufficient space like a garden and stuff to occupy itself and perhaps also another doggie/pet to keep it company. And thats even more true when talking about a bigger doggie like a lab. Also you have to consider non-stop barking which will bring your neighbours on the warpath...

Chel, thats one super adorable lab. I could even pupnap it. But sadly I don't have the time and resources now to bring up a doggie. Nor am I in Bang. Nor have I gotten over my 1st and last soulmate. :(

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th May 2009 at 16:00.
Old 13th May 2009, 16:32   #547
Senior - BHPian

Interesting.
I had a couple of dogs.They were vulnerable to the other predators where I had used to stay before I have shifted to my new home in the town.
I had boxers,German Shepherds,Lhasa Apso,Pom,Boxer,Rajapalayam,Labs and Doberman.
The doberman was gobbled by a leopard and since I had decided not to have a pet unless I shift to my new home as this was the second dog I had lost.

Now I am planning to get a Neopolitan mastiff or probably a English bull mastiff.My parents are aghast with the idea of me wanting to spend on a dog what you can spend on 10 cows.Yet i have decided to go ahead and get one soon.
Old 13th May 2009, 19:31   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a beautiful retriever, and I do hope [s]he gets a good home; I'm sure that such a dog would be a wonderful friend to a whole family.

Tempted, yes... but we did say no animals and the cats came along despite that.
Old 14th May 2009, 01:25   #549
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Thats a Beautiful retriever, but it looks a good 2-3yrs old ... how can one give up a 3-4yr old pet for adoption, this is like giving up a family member for adoption totally unacceptable. uFF!!!

@joecherian : Thats a real cute PUG!! How old is ginger?? PUGS are very sensitive to temperatures and dust. So too much AC and too much sun are gonna be bad. But they are very loving, entertaining and great fun to be with.
Old 14th May 2009, 02:27   #550
BHPian

Mongrel pups up for adoption.

Hello Guys. There is a friend of mine who has a 3 legged female mongrel. She did not get her home or anything but the dog started living with them in their farm and the dog was pregnant.

Now the dog has a couple of cute puppies. Anyone interested in adopting a pup can PM me. I will provide the details.
Old 14th May 2009, 05:48   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
Hi Hemanth, Raccoon and Thad,
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. We are opting out of adopting the pet.

Thad,
Thanks for pointing out the typo (even though it is meaningful but it is not a pleasant word in the pet world )

All,
If any of you would like to adopt the dog let me know(Location Bangalore). I will pass on the contact details.
Here is the photo:
Hi Chel,

I am all game to adopt the golden retriever.Is it possible to hold on for a couple of months as presently I am in Canada and will be back in the last week of June.
PM me in case it is possible and help me to provide a good home to this cute loving creature.
Just fell in love with it the moment I saw the pic.
Old 15th May 2009, 18:40   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Two year old farm-trained dog in BLR

Guys, there's a healthy 2 year old farm-familiar dog here near BLR. He's a Mudhol Hound - Dalmation mix, I'm told. Owners had to let go of him because they moved out of the farm & from here.

Any one intrested, pls let me know. Will try get the pics too ..
Old 15th May 2009, 20:54   #553
BHPian

Our Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, there's a healthy 2 year old farm-familiar dog here near BLR. He's a Mudhol Hound - Dalmation mix, I'm told. Owners had to let go of him because they moved out of the farm & from here.

Any one intrested, pls let me know. Will try get the pics too ..
We were having 3 pet Dogs in Bangalore. Two Labradors and a Cockerspanial.
photos of these Dogs are attached. The brown labrador died recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-the_security_guards_large.jpg  

Old 16th May 2009, 00:25   #554

Hello everyone! Here are my pets. The pug is a year old. The other dog is a thirteen year old yorkshire terrier. Hope you like them.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image030.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0261.jpg  

Old 16th May 2009, 23:02   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
You mean Gardenal??? Thats a barbiturate!
Beware of vets dude! Most of them are plain morons/savages... or both! body!
Going in for such generalizations wouldn't be fair. Maybe you have had a few unpleasant interactions, but that in my opinion still doesn't justify the use of such blanket statements. Sorry to have said this, but I guess I had to say it.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by anilagdr : 16th May 2009 at 23:15. Reason: Usemulti quote, back to back post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks